Start by marking “Turning Grace (The Turning, #1)” as Want to Read:
Turning Grace (The Turning, #1)

Turning Grace

(The Turning Series #1)

Grace is an average teenage girl with an average teenage life—quirky best friend, good grades, a crush on the popular jock at school—who has recently noticed some not-so-average changes. She wakes up in the morning with bags under her eyes, lifeless hair, and a hunger like she’s never had before.

Her mother—former doctor and current personal chef to Gracie—insists that thes
Published 2014 by J.Q. Davis

To ask other readers questions about Turning Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turning Grace

Start your review of Turning Grace (The Turning, #1)
Zyra
i am not big on zombie movies or books. i really try to avoid them. but as soon as i read the back of the book i was curious. a living person also a zombie. it was so interesting. grace discovering and realizing that there was actually something wrong with her. this book was actually all about that. her finding out that she is zombie and circumstances that resulted to her being what she is.
i really liked the fact that she was shown as a normal teenager worrying about her looks, her crush etc. mo
Candace Robinson
I love this one! This is the second time to read it and it just has such a cool vibe with originality and zombie awesomeness! Romance, action, horror, and emotion! What more could you want? I can’t wait to read the updated version of book 2!
Poulami
Originally posted on Daydreaming Books.

*I received a digital copy of this book for the blog tour hosted by YA Bound Book Tour in exchange for an honest review.*

This book was definitely intriguing. But some parts were gross, like flesh eating gross. But as a zombie book, it was pretty well done!

Grace is just like another teenage girl but her appetite is growing everyday which is turning out to be way beyond her control. She realises something is extremely wrong with her as one day she eats a cat
Boundless Book Reviews
Ummm wow!!! I'm so glad I stumbled upon this book. This has to be one best, Top 5 Zombie books I've ever read.

The story follows Grace a teenager. Just like any teenager, she's in high school, she has her BFF, and her secret crush. Some things that would be odd is that she eats a TON of food. More like a buffet. Her mom tells her that it's just her growing up and needing to eat more.

Slowly things start happening that make her question what is really going on. But she also has the attention of h
K.J. Chapman
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
A zombie book that follows a teen injected with a untested serum as a child and the deterioration of her body and mind ever since.

It's unusual to find a zombie book that doesn't have an 'outbreak' or a virus that can be passed on through a bite. It was interesting to see the methods Davis thought up for Grace's mother to use in order to maintain her daughter's ignorance to what she truly was, and the repercussions of not explaining the situation to Grace when things start going severely south.

So
E.A.
( I received this book free from the Author in exchange for my honest review )

I don't normally read zombie books, but this one caught my interest by it's cover, excerpts and it's reviews. There were a few that spoke of this big twist, and how it was out of left field. I love plot twist and getting blindsided by a book. My interest was piked and once that happens there's nothing that can stop me.

As I drove into this book, the prolog was heartwreching and mysterious. We are taken to a hospital
Keith Bornmann
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very different

I wasn't expecting that.

This book was a great read. It was clean of profanity and descriptive sex. The main character was likable for the most part.

Grace is a young girl in high school. She only eats food her mom prepares for her. But she's going through some changes and begins to discover her appetite is changing to something a bit dark. The boy she is attracted to shares an interest in her and supports her as she goes through these changes.
Laura Thomas
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, zombies, ya
I love a good zombie story. This isn’t a zombie apocalypse. It’s the story of one teenage girl, struggling with odd cravings and an escalating urge to commit violence.

I found some scenes disturbing on so many levels. And I loved it. I know, I’m twisted. But what’s a good zombie story without some truly ghastly scenes. Like when she eats the neighbor’s cat. Yuck.

I liked Grace. Felt sorry for her. And she scared the bejesus out of me. This made me wonder if I’d stand by her, best friend or not.

The
Stephanie
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Turning Grace is an amazing novel! I couldn't put it down once I started it. I wanted to know more and more about Grace. From the beginning it's clear Grace is a very special girl. Her Moms constant home cooking, and her giant meals stuck out to me. As the story progresses, and we get to know Graces Mom, Phoebe, and Tristen more, it becomes obvious Grace isn't normal in the food consumption department. I don't want to spoil the ending but I did not see that coming! Something else along the same ...more
A. Powers
It took me several tries of starting and giving up before I finally managed to make it through this book. It just didn't live up to the quality and standards when compared to other books on the shelves that I could have chosen to read instead. It kind of came across as a book someone wrote for NaNoWriMo as quickly as possible without bothering to editing for content, smoothness, or interest factor, and the characters were annoying at best, especially the main character who came across as super n ...more
Ashley Bulter
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Always up for something different.
Laura  Hernandez (TheVoluptuousBkDiva/YABkDivas)
You really cannot pass this macabre book up. This book introduces us to a different take on zombies. Meet Grace, a typical teenage girl going through the usual growing pains and a huge appetite. She begins to notice changes that aren't so typical. Sorry, I don't do spoilers!!! Strong story line with well developed characters. Shocking revelations that floor you and scenes that turn your stomach. Can't wait to see what happens next. ...more
Lissa Rice
**5 Stars** Review on Boundless Book Reviews.
Cathy Mccartney
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grossly Great!

This book was gruesome in some places, but very entertaining. I am probably older than most people reading this book, but I enjoyed it!
Stephen McClellan
Turning Grace is the first zombie novel I have ever read, and I’ll be honest, J.Q. Davis has turned me into a fan! To go along with the gnarly, page-turning scenes, perhaps the strongest emotional pull of the novel is the way that J.Q. dives into the teenage mind and demonstrates the inner turmoil that adolescents can face when they aren’t satisfied with who they are as individuals. I definitely recommend this book for anyone who wants an entertaining read (and has the stomach for it!).
Jenna Reeves
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was hooked! Love love love Turning Grace. Such an amazing read.
tiffany griffiths
Original and full of suprises

What a great book! Start to finish with great characters and original content! It was well thought out and I look forward to reading more by J.Q. Davis as soon as possible!
Katherine Paschal
17 year old Grace is hungry all of the time, but her mother who is a doctor brushes it off as a regular hormonal issue all teenagers encounter. Grace tries to do regular teen things, like hang out with her best friend, avoid her nemesis who happens to date Grace's crush Tristan, and day dream over Tristan. But the hunger becomes worse, causing Grace to pass out and feel sick. But what is worse, is the things that the hunger causes her to do. The unspeakable things...

I love myself some zombie mov
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Grace is your typical teenager who wants the same things as every other teenager to be popular and have a boyfriend well maybe not exactly. Well she definitely doesn’t want to be popular but she would like it if she were not on some people’s radar all the time. Like that was their life’s only objective was to pick on Grace. She walks the halls of school trying to be invisible hoping no one will notice her but that hardly ever happens.

Oh and she wants a boyfriend alright and she knows exactly who
Heidi
Jul 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My husband recommended this book to me and since he doesn't normally do that I thought I should read the book.
Turning Grace is a début Young Adult\Teen Novel by J.Q. Davis. The book is written from the prospective of Grace your typical teenage girl. (Boys, Clothes, school and life) The difference between Grace and other girls is Grace is a Zombie. J.Q. Davis takes a tried and overused genre and creates a new twist bring life to a almost dead genre.

Possible Spoiler.
The first chapter of the book p
Paula  Phillips
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Seeing the cover of this book , it drew me in and captivated me - I just knew that I would want to pick up the book and start reading it and I loved it. However, in parts I was a little confused and had to re-read the sentence or two just to make sure I was reading correctly. Turning Grace starts off with little Grace at five years old coming home from the hospital and she has been sick. Apparently she is all cured now. Then next thing we know her mother has woken up and her finger is missing. I ...more
Ravyn Karasu
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Turning Grace” was a story that confused me. It was brought up in conversation while speaking to the author. When told that it wasn’t a zombie or vampire story as I would have expected, I became highly curious and decided to read for myself. I had to know.

It was an interesting story. The characters were easy to identify with. It felt like I was really reading from a teenage mindset. It took me some time to get used to that, but it became rather charming and really necessary to really understan
Sherry Fundin
LOVE LOVE LOVE Turning Grace by J Q Davis!

The cover is amazing and it shows both sides of Grace…

Grace has an unusual appetite…She’s always Hungry, HUNgry, HUNGRY! I think she would be a definite winner of Nathan’s Hotdog Eating Contest. She loves horror movies and is becoming a star in a horror story of her very own. She believes in murdering masked men and serial killers, but zombies? Everyone knows they aren’t real. Maybe that’s why she doesn’t she see it coming? I guess, even if I was voracio
Tasha Doughman
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, arc-s
Precy Larkins
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love zombie books, and I love how this isn’t one of your run-of-the-mill zombie stories where you’ve got the usual brain-eating undead swarming an apocalyptic world. Instead, you get Grace, a funny, sometimes quirky teenager, who is constantly hungry but also trying to deal with a bully at school as well as get the attention of her crush, Tristen. It’s bad enough that her crush is in a relationship with her bully, but things get worse when Grace, in a hunger-induced trance, unwittingly eats a ...more
Cindy Gibbons
Feb 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
n generally find something to like in absolutely every book I have ever read, Howe errors I found this Grace horribly disgusting. I found the initial description of the book revealed little of the actual genre of the book.

In general I can always find something to enjoy in every book I have ever read. However, I can honestly say I found this Grace story horribly disgusting, verging on psychotic. The initial description of this novel revealed little of the actual genre, and I was horribly disappo
Ren nerdychampagne
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
3.5/5

This book is scarily real. Like what if it's real?????? Like what if???????
It's not supernatural. This is pure sci-fi. And it's scary.

Let's get this clear, I didn't love this book. Hell, I don't think I reallllyy liked it. I am just scared of this book. And I am left hanging in the air. I need answers. I need the next book.

I NEED THE NEXT BOOK. NOW.

Read the full review HERE
WeLoveBigBooksAndWeCannotLie
This is THE PERFECT book to read before Halloween!!! The end of the first chapter comes right out and surprises you! I actually gasped🤣 I’m not usually a zombie-type person. I don’t really enjoy anything too gory and luckily, the majority of this book keeps the gore at bay. There are a few parts that I had to read over fairly quickly but were necessary to the plot of the story. I fell in love with Grace and her best friend Phoebe and I loved her long time crush Tristan too! However, there is a l ...more
Matt
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really enjoyable page turner! The author crafts a wonderful coming of age story for a teenage zombie-like girl. A well written book, great dialog, and situations that anyone who ever went to high school can easily relate to. I would definitely recommend this book for all young adult readers. A fun read! Looking forward to the next one!!
Kevin McDonald
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found Turning Grace to be a very entertaining read. The characters were real, with real problems, mixed with some extraordinary issues. There were some surprising, and gruesome, twists that made me want to keep turning the pages. It is apparent to me that J.Q. Davis is somewhat twisted, but in a good way. I am definitely a fan and cannot wait until the next book!

• Ever Strange
  • Pink - Episode 3
  • Achilla The Strong
  • Witch Way to Murder & Mayhem (Witch Way #1)
  • Love Potions (Warlocks MacGregor, #1)
  • The Deep
  • The Ghost of Christmas Past (Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries, #8.5)
  • Morna's Legacy: Box Set #1
  • Alone (The Girl in the Box, #1)
  • Pink - Episode 1
  • Truly Madly Plaid (Prince Charlie's Angels, #2)
  • Witch on Ice (A Bigfoot Bay Witches Paranormal Cozy Mystery #1)
  • This Time For Keeps
  • Tuesday's Child
  • One More Chance (Mistletoe Matchmakers of Clearwater County #1)
  • Sinful Fling (Sinfully Rich, #1)
  • Untouched (The Girl in the Box, #2)
  • When He Vanished
J.Q. Davis is from New Orleans, Louisiana. She has a bachelor's degree in healthcare, but chooses to pursue her dreams of being a writer. Her husband is a retired Marine (23 years!) who works with surgical robots. They don't have kids, but spoil their pups as if they were real little girls.
Her other interests include exercising, listening to indie music, watching anything even remotely related to

The Turning Series (3 books)
  • Escaping Grace (The Turning Series Book 2)
  • Finding Grace (The Turning Series, #3)