Start by marking “The Heat (Wyatt, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Heat (Wyatt, #8)

The Heat

(Wyatt #8)

Wyatt needs a job.

A bank job would be nice, or a security van hold-up. As long as he doesn’t have to work with cocky idiots and strung-out meth-heads like the Pepper brothers. That’s the sort of miscalculation that buys you the wrong kind of time.

Published October 21st 2015 by Text Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heat

Brenda
After the debacle in Melbourne that was the Pepper brothers, Wyatt decided to get in touch with a man on the Gold Coast who had seen him right in the past. Wyatt was a career criminal – he was also broke; he needed a job to tide him over. Of course Wyatt’s idea of a job was different to the normal person’s – and when his contact told him he had just the thing, Wyatt was intrigued.

Arriving in the Gold Coast, he found the job to be one he hadn’t attempted before. But his thoughts were such that h
Marianne
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“The police were his natural enemy and his upbringing, such as it was, had been steeped in hostility towards them. But he did not hate or fear them. He’d rarely tangled with them. They had a job to do, and one day they might get him but he rarely thought about that. It would be self-defeating. If you showed your antipathy you drew attention to yourself. Wyatt liked to be invisible”

The Heat is the eighth book in the Wyatt series by Australian author, Garry Disher. Wyatt is broke: he needs to do a
Alex Cantone
Pepper left in a taxi for David Minto’s house. He found a high brick wall, locked gates, mansions gleaming unapproachably within. He prowled the perimeter, trying to work it out…on the farthest side, where the wall abutted a golf course, he found a maintenance shed. It was locked, not a tool or vehicle in sight, but someone had left an aluminium ladder in the grass behind it. Four metres, extendable to eight, a rung broken on the extra section, but he didn’t need it, four metres got him to the t ...more
Karen
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: australian, ebook, crime
The 8th in the Wyatt series, the resurgence of the best unrepentant, unapologetic and very demanding professional crook in Australian Crime Fiction is something to be very pleased about.

Wyatt is not a man who plays well with others, and his danger radar is on high alert after he’s pulled into early planning of a heist by some rank amateurs. A move to Noosa and a commission to steal a particular painting comes at a time when absenting himself from Melbourne and all chance of being connected to th
David
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The enigmatic Wyatt does it again! Another great book by Garry Disher, written from the perspective of the 'bad guy'. In fact, he is the best of a bad, scheming, insincere, treacherous bunch of characters - so you kinda like him, and it feels good. 5 stars
Jenny
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, mystery
The Heat is a book eight of the Wyatt series by Garry Disher. After pulling out on a security van robbery, Wyatt needed work. Wyatt contacted a broker in Queensland who has a job for him. On arriving in Queensland Wyatt realise the situation was not as straight forward as he first thought. When someone tries to kill him, Wyatt starts to investigate. The readers of The Heat will continue to follow Wyatt to see if he survives and why the job went so pair shape.

Friend of my recommended reading boo
Mike
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read Disher's Bitter Wash Road a year or so ago, and was impressed with the tautness of the thriller, its depiction of the Australian outback, and its memorable characters. The Heat is altogether different: much darker, with little humour and a main character who's almost as morose as Jack Reacher.
The story concerns a heist that seems doomed to failure because of there being too many interested parties. It certainly doesn't come off quite the way it was intended, and the baddies (ie, the real
Col
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, d
Synopsis/blurb…

Wyatt needs a job.

A bank job would be nice, or a security van hold-up. As long as he doesn't have to work with cocky idiots and strung-out meth-heads like the Pepper brothers. That's the sort of miscalculation that buys you the wrong kind of time.

So he contacts a man who in the past put him on the right kind of heist. And finds himself in Noosa, stealing a painting for Hannah Sten.

He knows how it's done: case the premises, set up escape routes and fail safes, get in and get out wi
S.C. Karakaltsas
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wyatt is a smart thief with scruples who’s been around long enough to be cautious and wily. Turning down a job in Melbourne with the haphazard Pepper brothers, he instead, accepts a job in Noosa to steal a painting. He’s meticulous in his planning, holding off the charms of the local real estate agent who freelances as a crook herself. But the plan dramatically unravels as Wyatt, using his wits fights to survive.
I don't often read crime novels and this one was told from the criminal's point of v
Paul
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my second Garry Disher book, and the first one I have read in the Wyatt series. If all of them are this good I have a excellent new series to read, if I can find his books, here in the USA.
The Heat is a fantastic fun story about a burglar named Wyatt who is hired to steal a painting.
What makes this such a great book is that in addition the the author's excellent writing, everyone involved is double crossing, lying, and scheming, for an alternate outcome.
If you can find this book, and
Sally Richards
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Not my normal genre, but an unassuming and undemanding read – perfect for the beach. The plot was well developed enough to sustain interest, and not requiring any real attachment to the characters. Just as well, as they didn’t really engender any attachment. A little superficially, yet succinctly drawn.
Sue Pratt
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just love Garry Disher ! A fine example of local detective fiction as part of the Wyatt series. Again, hard to put down and when finished you're exhausted from the intensity but craving more.
Savouring the knowledge I have another in this series ready to read.
Anthony
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tense and taut, with an anti-hero you want to come through, this crime thriller offered surprising plot twists to make this a very enjoyable crime thriller, set in Queensland.
Alex Rogers
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
I love Disher's Challis series, but haven't been impressed with the Wyatt books, and won't read any more.
Rhonda
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: australian, mystery
An entertaining quick read, with lots of double crossing and no-one very likeable. Enjoyed the Noosa location. Will be searching the other Wyatt books.
Melanie McKissock
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this in a day. Taut, economical prose that drives the story forward. Terrific stuff.
Kingsley Oteng-Amoako
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Man suffers much because he desires too much is the narrative, with the usual vanities of human passions. The characters in this book were surprisingly not tragic or affected by the usual quietisms or disorders expected in a modern day crime-thriller. The lack of embellishment by the author adds to the dry light. Noosa works to save pretensions; a town my partner and I visited once well before we were married. It reminded her of the English countryside, the author however sets these images yello ...more
Simon McDonald
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
The enigmatic, dangerous Wyatt returns in Garry Disher’s mile-a-minute crime novel The Heat.

Wyatt’s particular set of skills are becoming increasingly archaic. Gone are the days of bank heists and jewellery store robberies; advanced security measures are making it harder, and the goons are getting dumber, strung out on drugs or cocky idiots who hold their pistols sideways, thinking they’re the stars of their own action flicks. Wyatt, by comparison, is a dinosaur; but like everyone else, he needs
Robin
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoy Garry Disher's Wyatt novels and this one is no exception. A strong plot, tight, economical yet evocative writing and real, multi-dimensional characters. It is a testament to the author's skill that despite the fact that Wyatt is a 'baddie' and a cold blooded killer, we are still rooting for him to get away with his crimes. I especially enjoyed this book as it is set on the Sunshine Coast, where I live, in Queensland Australia.

However, I do have a couple of criticisms. Firstly there were
Cass Moriarty
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it
If you are looking for a gritty Australian crime novel set locally, look no further than Garry Disher's The Heat. I have not read his work before, but he came to my attention because this novel was nominated for the Dublin Literary Award (alongside The Promise Seed) which is an indication of the popularity of this author amongst librarians and library patrons. Set primarily on the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast (Noosa), The Heat is told from a number of different perspectives - all criminals ...more
Kerrie
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Six of the Wyatt series were published in the 1990s, the seventh, Wyatt, in 2010 (crime novel of the year in Australia), and the latest is The Heat

In Australian crime fiction a tale told from the point of view of the perpetrator of the crime rather than from the side of the law is unusual. But then Wyatt is not your usual thief. And he is not greedy. He just wants to make enough out of each job to keep his head above water and his name away from detection.

Right from the beginning he is cautious
Janice
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Garry Disher's 'The Heat' is my murder mystery for the year, although I expect lots more to come. An intriguing book as not one character is likeable, usually a formula that breaks the golden rule of fiction writing. Protagonist Wyatt is a study in character development - very finely crafted indeed, and even though he is a murderer and professional criminal, he seems the best of a bad lot so the reader can and does feel engagement with him. Set largely in Noosa, a place I am not particularly fam ...more
CriminalRepurcussions
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Best yet! Received for Christmas. Thankyou, Santa ! Congratulations, Garry Disher, on great work. I can't recommend this author highly enough.
Disher's style of writing Wyatt is different from that of his the Challis&Destry series, different again from that of Bitter Wash Road, this author no doubt Australia's top crime author.
It's wonderfully paced, not long-winded or padded out with superfluous back or side stores, unlike many other crime stories whose authors feel the need to add a soapi
Ria
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Once again an easy read from Disher, and if you like your criminals to have a sense of justice and with no romantic distractions, Wyatt is your guy. This tale is about stolen art, which has our anti hero heading up to Noosa, I never did get why everyone loves Noosa, with plenty of double crosses to untangle it turns out to be a busy few days on the Sunny Coast for Wyatt.

Jen
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: australian
In this latest novel in the series, Wyatt takes on the job of stealing a painting from a wealthy man living at Noosa. The plot becomes complicated by the machinations of the various players who are all trying to double cross each other and set up Wyatt to take the blame.
This is a fast paced novel featuring Wyatt's usual planning and plotting. It is tightly structured and a thoroughly enjoyable read.
Calzean
No. 8 in the series, No. 1 for me - it did not seem you needed to read any of the previous books to understand that Wyatt is a good-bad guy who has more trouble dealing with his fellow crooks than escaping from the police.
A good fast-paced thriller with the double-crossers being double-crossed by the other double-crossers.
Disher does it again.
Neel Bivalkar
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Garry has written some cracking novels. Sadly this wasn't one of them. The plot was quite thin, the characters were not well setup and just gave a feeling that the author had written this book on his off day. As all his books this one is pacy and the prose is very lean. So it is a very quick read. But it lacks any complexity and layers which are characteristics of a Wyatt story.
Carmel McCartin
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well written, fast paced, easy to put down and pick up again. However, it's so absorbing that I didn't want to put it down. As a winner of a recent give-away I spent an enjoyable weekend with Mr Disher and Wyatt - am very happy to do so again. A little-known Aussie author with a great sense of place.
Nick Marshall
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it
If you know Noosa, and perhaps have a love for the movie Gettin' Square, then you'll love this book.
Sharron
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Every time I thought I had figured out what was going to happen next, I learned I was wrong. Intricate fast moving plot. Never a dull moment. Disher delivers yet another great Wyatt book.

• Blackwattle Creek (Charlie Berlin, #2)
  • And Fire Came Down (Caleb Zelic, #2)
  • Quota
  • Ash Island (The Belltree Trilogy, #2)
  • Before It Breaks
  • An Iron Rose
  • The Dying Trade (Cliff Hardy, #1)
  • Stiff (Murray Whelan, #1)
  • Web of Deceit (Detective Ella Marconi #6)
  • Prime Cut (Cato Kwong, #1)
  • The Old School
  • The Soldier's Curse (Monsarrat #1)
  • The Restorer
  • Gunshot Road (Emily Tempest, #2)
  • The Passage of Love
  • Fatal Liaison
Garry Disher was born in 1949 and grew up on his parents' farm in South Australia.

He gained post graduate degrees from Adelaide and Melbourne Universities. In 1978 he was awarded a creative writing fellowship to Stanford University, where he wrote his first short story collection. He travelled widely overseas, before returning to Australia, where he taught creative writing, finally becoming a full

Wyatt (9 books)
  • Kickback (Wyatt, #1)
  • Paydirt (Wyatt, #2)
  • Deathdeal (Wyatt, #3)
  • Crosskill (Wyatt, #4)
  • Port Vila Blues (Wyatt, #5)
  • The Fallout (Wyatt, #6)
  • Wyatt (Wyatt, #7)