Start by marking “Counsellor (Acquisition, #1)” as Want to Read:
Counsellor (Acquisition, #1)

Counsellor (Acquisition Series #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  2,543 Ratings  ·  422 Reviews
In the heart of Louisiana, the most powerful people in the South live behind elegant gates, mossy trees, and pleasant masks. Once every ten years, the pretense falls away and a tournament is held to determine who will rule them. The Acquisition is a crucible for the Southern nobility, a love letter written to a time when barbarism was enshrined as law.

Now, Sinclair Vinemo
Published September 28th 2015 by Celia Aaron

To ask other readers questions about Counsellor, please sign up.
Celia Aaron Hi Catherine!

Jan 19, 2016 Magnate
April 2016 Sovereign

Hi Catherine!

Jan 19, 2016 Magnate
April 2016 Sovereign

Thanks for reading! Oh, and sign up for my "newsletter" at aaronerotica.com to know right when they release (I won't spam you or sell your info, promise, just send you goodies and book news sometimes).

xoxo,
Celia(less)

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★

★★★★★! Counsellor, book 1 of 3. A woman is caught in a deprived game of power, sex & violence steeped in tradition & hidden amidst Louisiana’s elite!

“I knew how to get her there, to drag her down into darkness and twist her beyond recognition.”

Books in Acquisition series should be read in order:
Book 0.5: Sinclair
Book 1: Counsellor
Book 2: Magnate
Book 3: Sovereign

Counsellor (book 1) opens up to artist Stella Rousseau’s world falling apart. In order to save her father from prison she
Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky, and B*tchy ⚓️ Steamy Reads
It annoys me when a seemingly ridiculous premise for an entire series isn't even semi-explained by the end of book one.

Plus, it seems she starts book two with Lucius. Which doesn't interest me.

I won't be continuing.
Arianna✦❋SteamyReadsBlog❋✦
3.5 Stars!!

description

"Counsellor" is the first installment in Celia Aaron’ s new series entitled “Acquisition”. While the premise - acquisitions as a tradition - is not original, I have to say I enjoyed this first book. It was dark enough to label it as a dark read, it was full of depravity which I enjoyed and it had some suspense elements that made this an entertaining read.

“I've never been a good man.
Candace
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Candace by: Vasiliki
Taboo, Dark And Sexy!

With a storyline reminiscent of Pepper Winter's 'Indebted' series, the 'Acquisition' series tells the story of an ages-old twisted tradition and the girl that must be subjected to several trials over the course of a year of captivity. Stella agrees to become Sinclair Vinemont's acquisition for one year, in exchange for her father's freedom from prosecution. Signing on to be his slave, she has no idea of what the future holds for her, but she knows that she'd do anything to s
Jennifer Kyle
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.75 ~ 4 STARS

”One year, two players, three brothers and unknown forces manipulating from the sidelines.”

description

This story is very well written however I did find the idea a bit similar to a book series that I barely finished the first book of. That being said, things took a very interesting and crazy turn at the end which has me intrigued enough to read the next book of this three book series.

I liked all the characters more than enough to read on even if the idea whether it be debts or acquisition

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

💙 I read this for the Unapologetic Romance Readers' New Years 2018 Reading Challenge, for the category of: Dark Romance. For more info on this challenge, click here. 💙

Remember when FIFTY SHADES OF GREY came out and people were like, "This is weirdly uncomfortable - this feels more like the ownership of another human being than a romance"? Well, Celia Aaron decides to take squick a step further in COUNSELLOR, because hey, wouldn't it be fun
Sophia Triad
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Modern Slavery in the Old South

This is one of these rare books that I DISLIKE/HATE all the characters, main and secondary.
But it still keeps my attention and my curiosity until the very end.
But I still love it and I want to start reading straight away the second book of the series
– although I know it will be pure torture for my poor soul.

Let’s see the players:

Sinclair Vinemont – He needs a willing slave to play with and to present her as his Acquisition at the ruling society of Louisiana. He i
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
Aug 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody!
DNF - 47%

description

"They will mark you." He ran his fingers across the skin at the nape of my neck, making a vivid heat tear through my body from the points of contact. "Here."
His other hand snaked under my cloak and around to the open back of my dress. His fingers played at my exposed skin. "And here."

W.T.F!!!

I had a bad feeling going into the book because of the the sadistic demeanor of the main male character. I thought this to be some twisted Beauty & the Beast, where the Beast traps Beauty usi
♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-for-review
*Live! Amazon US * Amazon UK

Councellor takes the reader on a journey of depravity, suspense and drama. This dark romance kept me wondering, questioning and completely engrossed in the story telling from the beginning to the very end. Told in the first person and from the alternating perspective of Stella and Sinclair the story emerges through the easy flowing narrative that paints crystal clear pictures in the mind evoking feelings of angst ridden anticipation. It presents a hedonistic world in
Deanna❤Pink Lady❤️
5 “Blow My Mind” Stars

photo IMG_2979_zpsgmuwjwxu.jpg

Sometimes you get a book and the unexpected happens......it takes you on a wickedly dark and sexually sinister ride. The storyline is full of depravity yet there is a touch of possible love and redemption. Counsellor is a book that will make you breathless and draw you in.....into the tangled web of manipulation, lies, sex and depravity.

Sinclair Vinemont.........his name says it all. Handsome, controlling, powerful, his nickname is Sin, need I say more. Stella Rousseau...
Alp
2.75/5

Dark, twisted, sick, but not romantic whatsoever.

It was obvious that this story was dark—I can’t argue with that. But I've read something darker already and they were far better than this one. There were some disturbing scenes for me, but then again, they didn't make me cringe or shudder the way other books I've read in the same genre did.

The major problem I had with this book was that I couldn’t connect to both main characters, Sinclair and Stella, especially Stella. Of course, I know she
Joëlle
*** Copy kindly provided by the publisher Patchwork Press - Cooperative, via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ***

It had been some time since I read a dark erotic book and I enjoyed this one. It wasn’t as dark as I thought it would be but still an enjoyable read. I give it 4 stars.

During the last 250 years the rich have been ruled by a Sovereign. This Sovereign is chosen every 10 years. Now tall and handsome district attorney Sinclair Vinemont, firstborn in his family, is 1 of the 3 ca
TeriLyn

**Counsellor generously provided via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.**

5+ In the heart of every man is a darkness." Stars

I am jumping for joy over here. I requested Counsellor from NG not having heard anything about it but finding the cover and blurb intriguing. Well intriguing isn't quite a good enough word. I LOVED this book. Fans of darker, erotic romance who enjoy the wickedly twisted minds of authors who push boundaries with excellent story telling will love this book.

Set in the
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
A book about buying and owning a person a year, and then beating them at balls. It's a modern day slavery book trying to be bdsm cool and fool you into thinking because there's sex it's sexy. It's not. Horrid book.
CC
“4.25 Stars”

description

Sinclair Vinemont is a district attorney from a powerful and wealthy southern family. He commands a room with his ebony hair, dark blue eyes and statuesque physique. For generations, his family enjoyed the benefits of prestige but it wasn’t easily earned and with such affluence comes certain obligations.

“The mask I wear is purely the act of a predator. Theater. Pageantry. Deceptive and lethal. It allows me to get close and closer still until it is time to strike.”

Stella Rousseau i
Radmila
3,75 STARS!!!

I was down the rabbit hole, everything topsy-turvy and wrong, because his touch-god, his touch it was like I'd been starving for it this entire time but didn't know it.

To save her father from prison, Stella accepts Sinclair's offer.

"But if I do agree-"
"Then you are mine, for one year. To do with as I please when I please. You will live with me at the Vinemont estate. You will do as you're told. You will serve me and whoever else I want. I will own you, body and soul."

Little does s
Pam
Nov 14, 2015 marked it as zzz_dnf
Shelves: arc, netgalley
DNF @ 23%

I tried to get into the story, tried really hard to find something I can grasp onto to suck me in and take me away, but sadly I couldn't find it. I know others have loved this story and I am a little jealous that they did and not me. We all have our hit or misses and it has nothing to do with the authors style of skill, just my own lack of connection with the lead characters. I was so lost to the rhyme or reason's of the MC's, their choices and their deals, that it pretty much was a los
Michelle
Jan 21, 2016 added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 30%!
This book feels like another series I haven't even finished so there is no way I'm getting into this one.
As soon as Sinclair got Stella to his house to sign the contract I started getting vibes like I've read something like this before. So similar that I had no problems guessing which series it was like.
Three brothers (one seems nice and one seems more evil), a crooked judge, a step brother who I bet starts trouble because he loves Stella, Sinclair likes to ride when he's anxious (in
Carissa
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sinclair Vinemont, our anti-hero, belongs to an old and long line of aristocratic ancestry. An ancestry so old, they belong to the most affluent and prestigious, and they govern themselves via a Sovereign. Sinclair a lawyer by day, and at night when the mask comes off, their is only darkness, their is only a Vinemont.

As the eldest Vinemont, and as per traditions, it is Sinclair's duty to participate and fulfil the role within the Acquisition. This is where our forlorn heroine comes into play.
Dusti Hanrahan
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 stars!
I really enjoyed this!
This was a fast paced, gritty read with a super arrogant,alpha, ass and mouthy h who would do anything for her father.
We immediately learn that Stella's father is on trial for some very crooked/shady investments. Stella is devastated that her father will probably have to go to prison and hates the prosecutor (insert Sinclair Vinemont) that seems to stop at nothing to put him away.

Vinemont proposes a 'deal' that will have Stella sign herself over to him..anything/ev
Natalie The Biblioholic
I've got many of Celia Aaron's books on my tbr list and figured it was about time I gave one of them a try.

So...

I didn't love it. But I also didn't hate it. I was intrigued by its blurb and the fact that many readers had shelved it as 'Dark', but it was just okay for me.

whatever

I'm simpy not emotionally invested in this series. Yet.

I feel like I got a lot of information but not enough. Does that make sense? The Acquisition trials were reminiscent of other stories I've read (ex. Indebted series), but bec
Elfina Renee
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
 photo what.jpg
I'm completely speechless. Talking about an epic one of a kind dark read. Celia Aaron only continues to amaze me with her one of a kind mind fuckery! Sinfully hot but then comes the pain and all the puzzle pieces of hidden truths comes out. I will say this much about Sinclair he's positively evil and I'm not sure if there's any redeeming qualities.
 photo Counsellor 2.jpg
He has more secrets than the federal goverment and a life right out of nightmares, and his foul brother Lucius? Why worry about one venomous snake
~IreneOust~
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Really enjoying this series. I'll try and do a more detailed review at the end of part III (not a fan of reviewing installments).

Just a quick heads up: if you picked this book up based on the blurb and saw the warning, don't take it lightly. Take this series for what it is - over the top, dark and twisted erotica. At the end of the day, this is fiction. Don't over-analyze it. Enjoy it.

photo Cousellor _zpssaaoeide.jpg

photo amazon_zpsnaai1yht.png
Paul
Dec 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: deleted
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is the first book on a Read for Review that made me actually feel sick. It was vile beyond description. If negative stars were possible, that would be an option exercised.

LET ME SAY THIS CLEARLY: IF YOU HAVE ANY SEMBLANCE OF EMPATHY, COMPASSION, OR HUMAN DECENCY, DO NOT READ THIS BOOK! DO NOT READ IT. DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER IT.

This book caused me to break so many of my "reviewer rules."

I do not read other reviews before I write my own....r
Dana aka ♥Belladonna♥
Do you like the Indebted series by Pepper Winters? You'll want to pick up this book!
♛ Garima ♛

ARC received from netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

Many of my GR friends enjoy this so I tried it as well. Generally I stay away from such dark topics and don't take pleasure reading of abusive relationships.

I could not decide whether this is awful than FSoG or not. In prior, Ana has choice whether to sign the contract or not and she chose to be abused where as in this, Stella doesn't have such choice and I can understand need for such circumstance. If given a choice, not single huma
Vasiliki
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

What an amazing book! What an amazing story! The story has definitely dark elements but I don't know if it's really dark. It's definitely twisted! I really loved it! The plot is full of surprises and twists! I couldn't put this book down and when I did, I couldn't put it out of my head! The writing is fabulous! The story is said by dual POV (Sin's and Stella's) and it's excellently done! I have to give my congratulations to Ms. Aaron for the amazing writing! The book has everything that
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews
I'm not even sure what to say about this one.

Did I end up enjoying it? Yes, but I'm not quite sure how because Sinclair is a dickhead. I do have to say that the name Vinemont is used 294 times in this book. I can't stand it when a word is repeated over and over again. But I pushed on and it was worth it. Stella and Sinclair's sexy times were hot and the story line was interesting, now I have to bloody wait ages for the next one.

What bollocks
Valentina
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sweet mother of Batman what did I read just now?!

TEN STARS!!! Ten!

And why in God's name I have to start with this book now and the sequel isn't even written yet?!
I'm gonna die until January!
I need more!!!!!!!!

• Conscience (Bellator Saga, #2)
  • The Raven Room (The Raven Room, #1)
  • Return to Grace Street (Chapter 8, #2)
  • This is War, Baby (War & Peace, #1)
  • The Life of Anna: The Complete Story
  • Being a Jett Girl (Bourbon, #2)
  • A Bedtime Story (A Bedtime Story Trilogy, #1)
  • Debauched (Undone, #3)
  • Hot Water (Elements of Love, #1)
  • Camouflage (Predator and Prey, #1)
  • Echo (Bleeding Hearts, #1)
  • Vol.1 (London Brown, #3.5)
  • Takeover (The Legacy, #1)
  • The Starkest Truth (Breaking Insanity, #2)
  • The Anatomy of Jane (WJM, #1)
  • Seek (Delirious, #0.5)
  • Asking for It (Asking for It, #1)
  • Pieces of Autumn (Pieces of Autumn #1)
Celia Aaron is a recovering attorney who loves romance and erotic fiction. Dark to light, angsty to funny, real to fantasy—if it’s hot and strikes her fancy, she writes it. Thanks for reading.

Sign up for my newsletter at celiaaaron.com to get information on new releases. (I would never spam you or sell your info, just send you book news and goodies sometimes). ;)

You can find me on:
Twitter: @celiaa
More about Celia Aaron

Acquisition Series (3 books)
  • Magnate (Acquisition, #2)
  • Sovereign (Acquisition, #3)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • I Heart Paris
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Four Swans: A Novel of Cornwall, 1795-1797 (Poldark)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Choice
  • Saving Zoë
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Silver Linings Playbook
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“She was sad. Always sad. Water flowed from her mouth and then it changed to blood, more blood than a person could lose and still live. She was drowning in the very thing that gave her life.” 3 likes
“My darkness is neither restrained nor buried. It lives right at the surface. The only thing that hides it is my mask.” 1 likes