Start by marking “Three Sides of a Heart: Stories about Love Triangles” as Want to Read:
Three Sides of a Heart: Stories about Love Triangles

Three Sides of a Heart: Stories about Love Triangles

You may think you know the love triangle, but you've never seen love triangles like these.

These top YA authors tackle the much-debated trope of the love triangle, and the result is sixteen fresh, diverse, and romantic stories you don’t want to miss.

This collection, edited by Natalie C. Parker, contains stories written by Renee Ahdieh, Rae Carson, Brandy Colbert, Katie Cotu
Published December 19th 2017 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Three Sides of a Heart, please sign up.
Angela C I think the book was written for those of us who don't think love triangles are killing YA. :-) Just because some people dislike them doesn't mean eve…moreI think the book was written for those of us who don't think love triangles are killing YA. :-) Just because some people dislike them doesn't mean everyone does. Some, like me, purposely seek out books that have them. (less)
Tegan Because he writes Young Adult fiction and it brings a fantasy genre author into the mix, other than just contemporary or romance authors.

Start your review of Three Sides of a Heart: Stories about Love Triangles
Elle (ellexamines)
Average Rating: 3.81 Stars, but I'm giving a five because there were so many stories here on my new faves list. This was a fantastic short story collection, and I have to admit I was really pleasantly surprised after seeing some mediocre reviews.

What stands out about this collection to me is the creativity. So much speculative fiction and so many weird ideas! There's a lot of weirdness hidden within this collection, and I have no doubt even some of my fave stories will be polarizing - I've alre
Melanie
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

First off, I did enjoy this, but this collection uses the term “love triangle” very loosely, in my opinion. Some of the stories could have probably benefited from a stricter use of the word. It was so very diverse in race, sexuality, settings, social structures, and more, and I really appreciated it. I honestly felt like the majority of these stories had a queer aspect to them and that brings so much joy to me. A few of
Heather
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
2/5

Wow, I did not expect to dislike this book because usually I am a huge fan of short story collections. I only truly liked, maybe 3 or 4 of the 16 stories and most of them were unmemorable.

This short story collection is supposed to be about love triangles but more than half of them didn't really even have a love triangle in it??

I am filming a solo video review for this and sharing my ratings for each, individual story.
So bummed I didn't enjoy this.
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! I got an eARC from the publisher via Edelweiss, but what I read was a hardcover I bought at a later date.

Anthologies are always hard to review, but an anthology full of stories featuring love triangles? Lord help me, I can't pick out just a handful to spotlight! I can, however, result to my old way of reviewing anthologies: detailing a bit about each story, this time with the triangle types and their endgame pairings listed as well but without giving them
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Three Sides of a Heart is a collection of sixteen short stories about love triangles, of varying natures and sexualities. I honestly wouldn't have picked this anthology up if it wasn't for buddy reading it with Melanie , because I'm not typically a big fan of the trope, but some of these stories executed it wonderfully! I will say that this collection is a huge mixed bag of good and bad stories, and many of the tales aren't what I consider triangles at all, but we'll get there.

Riddles in Mathe
O.R.
Sep 30, 2015 marked it as hell-no
Love triangles - I need to write YA because it sells the best but I have no idea how to keep anybody interested with my lame plot. Let me introduce two hottest guys in love with the worst type of girl imaginable. Poor girl has no idea which one to choose. No worries! In YA men don't mind being played around. Even if they're brothers. ...more
Erin
3.5 Stars

Most people hate love triangles but I love them. I love the drama and messiness of a Good love triangle. Maybe I'm drawn to them because I've been in one. Back when I was young and messy enough to have been on a reality show(unfortunately I wasn't though I did think about auditioning for The Real World) I was in love with 2 men. One was my first serious boyfriend, he was sweet, funny and I'd known him since birth. The other was complete trash and just a terrible person but I just couldn
Sara ➽ Ink Is My Sword
✪✪✪
This was a big old MEH. Some stories did grab me though, some I wish they were full-length novels.

💛 Riddles in mathematics by Katie Katugno ✪✪✪
Started with gay vibes and I was there for it.

💛 La Revancha del Tango by Renée Adieh ✪✪✪
I loved it took place in South America, plus the writing was great.

💛 Lessons for beginners by Julie Murphy ✪✪✪✪
I had just finished Ramona Blue and everything this author writes I am loving. Seriously, the concept is weird, but I loved the uniqueness. Plus queerness.
Acqua
Three Sides of a Heart is not the best anthology I've ever read, but it's surely one of the most interesting and surprising ones. These authors took an overused trope and made something new with it, and while not everyone succeeded, the anthology as a whole worked. I'm neutral about love triangles, but even if you don't like them, you won't necessarily hate this - Three Sides of a Heart is about unconventional triangles, the ones you don't see in full novels. Diverse triangles, polyamory, trope ...more
Rahma
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Average: 3.28 stars, but I still chose to round up to 4 stars because there were some gems in here.

Overall thoughts:
This anthology took me a while to get through, but I’m glad I eventually did. There were ups and downs, as is with any anthology, but I think it was a rewarding experience in the end. Most of the short stories by authors I haven’t read before served to add a few more books to my TBR, and I’m looking forward to checking these authors’ longer works.
Overall, a decent collection of
Gillian
my personal faves:

Riddles in Mathematics by Katie Cotugno
This was a contemp story with an equal helping of feels and fluff, with an f/m/f triangle and a newly out lesbian MC adjusting to her new reality out of the closet. Really cute and feelsy.

La Revancha del Tango by Renee Ahdieh:
Thank god for Renee restoring my faith in the world with this funny, bantery story about an American girl who is staying in a hostel in Buenos Aires and the cute boys she meets there. She angry flirts with one about
Sarah Elizabeth

This was an okay collection of short stories, although some of them I found really confusing. There were a couple of good ones in here though, with the best ones being ‘The Historian, The Garrison, and the Cantakerous Catwoman’ by Lamar Giles, ‘Vim and Vigor’ by Veronica Roth, and ‘Unus, Duo, Tres’ by Bethany Hagen. I’ll do mini reviews for each below.

‘Riddles in Mathematics’ by Katie Cotugno
- 3 stars –
This
✰ Aileen ✰
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, dnf
DNF at 38%
It's a cute book. If you're into love triangles that aren't really love triangles and looking for an easy read where only half a brain is needed.
Karima chermiti
Total rating: 3.3 stars

Love triangles has been and will always be such a divisive topic and controversial trope that we are quite familiar with because it is there in every other book whether we want it or not. Sometimes, it manages to surprise us and other times it is an utter and complete failure. So why not try this collection and see for yourself if you can still be impressed by a well written love triangle and if you’re certainly over it by now.

Riddles in Mathematics by KATIE COTUGNO : 4
T S
Jan 20, 2018 added it
I do not know how I feel about this anthology, beacuse for me love triangle has always been a very frustrating subject. Ugh Ugh, It disturbs me, mostly due to the confusion it creates in my mind, and my indecisiveness when it comes to choosing makes me want yo pluck my hair out. I can safely say Sabaa Tahir's story was my favourite, because I was very confident about my choice, so Yayyyy! 5 stars to Tahir, and also 5 stars to Reneè beacuse her story was cute and basically lacked the essence of l ...more
Stacee
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it

Never in a million years did I think I would willingly read a book about love triangles, but this had too many awesome authors to skip.

My favorites were the stories from Sabaa Tahir and Bethany Hagen. Both felt properly fleshed out with excellent characters and fantastic endings. I could have easily read more of either, but was quite satisfied with the story as it was.

The rest of the stories were good, but nothing else stood out to me. Several felt rushed and underdeveloped.

Overall, a
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

Three Sides of a Heart is an anthology not to be missed. These sixteen short stories by some of my favourite authors each put a spin on the classic love triangle trope. There is definitely something for everyone, and it might even change your opinion on love triangles.

I love the concept of this anthology! The love triangle gets a lot of hate in YA, but honestly, I can appreciate one that is well-executed. Three Sides of a Heart takes this trope and twists it, givin
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
Now this might be an unpopular opinion, but I don’t really have a problem with love triangles. Knowing a book has a love triangle doesn’t immediately turn me off the book, so I came into this anthology excited to see how these authors executed this divisive trope, but I wasn’t necessarily looking for a complete reinvention or trope subversion. That said, some of the stories in Three Sides of a Heart bring a fresh new take to the love triangle that was a lot of fun to see.

Average rating: 3.77 St
Kira Simion
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
So I was expecting more broken hearts and such (like how love triangles aren't all great as three hearts can't all be happy?)

Favorite shorts in here:

La Revancha Del Tango by Renée Ahdieh
Alexis  (TheSlothReader)
3.5 star!

As with all anthologies, there were stories I really liked, others that were just okay, and some that I strongly disliked. I do have to say that many stories in this anthology didn't read like a love triangle to me. I always believed a love triangle was when a person, be it our main character or their love interest, has to pick between two parties who each have an equal chance of being chosen. Many of the stories in this collection have our main character and their love interest, and a
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

Look, I know that people often dislike love triangles, but I really don't hate them, as long as they're done well. Obviously since that is literally the point of all of these stories, I felt like it was handled well in almost every case. But I figure if you're anti-triangle, you're probably not even considering reading this anyway? So let's just move along.

I figured I'd list all the stor
3.5/5 stars

While many readers hate love triangles I absolutely love them.

Here are the stories contained in this anthology:

1.Riddles in Mathematics by Katie Cotugno.
2.Dread South by Justina Ireland.
3.Omega Ship by Rae Carson.
4.La Revancha del Tango by Renee Ahdieh.
5.Cass, An, and Dra by Natalie C. Parker.
6.Lessons for Beginners by Julie Murphy.
7.Triangle Solo by Garth Nix.
8.Vim and Vigor by Veronica Roth.
9.Work in Progress by E. K. Johnston.
10.Hurdles by Brandy Colbert.
11.The Historian, The Garri
mary
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads, arcs
Rating: 4.5 / 5

Review: I know the topic of love triangles is a little controversial: some people love it, others despise it with a burning passion. I actually am indifferent towards them; they’re usually annoying, but I haven’t really found myself wishing for love triangles to be banished.

This anthology surpassed my expectations. I was really excited to receive an ARC, because a couple of my all-time favorite authors contributed short stories (Renee Ahdieh, Sabaa Tahir), and they did not disappo
Chelsea
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-star
Mini Review: Not one of the better anthologies I've read. There were a ton of diverse stories, but a lot were sci-fi or fantasy, which is hard to do in short fiction. A lot of these felt rushed and underdeveloped. There were a few good ones - Brandy Colbert, Lamar Giles, Sabaa Tahir (she should write more contemporary!), and Bethany Hagen (probably my favorite - I'm always a sucker for vampire stories) - but overall, this wouldn't be high on my anthology recommendations.

Received an ARC from Edel
Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
3.25 star average rating. This left a lot to be desired...pun intended?
Sahitya
This anthology gets lots of points for its diversity- in settings, writing style, race and sexuality. But there are hardly a few stories here which would actually qualify as love triangles.
It starts on a good note with a couple of nice stories but falters a lot in the middle. But the last 2 by Tessa Gratton and Bethany Hagen just blew my mind and I was left crying. No better way to end the book.

Individual reviews are below:

-- Riddles in Mathematics by Katie Cotugno

This was a sweet start to the
Christy
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Three Sides of a Heart is a recently released anthology based on a fav YA trope - The ❤️🔺. Come on, we all have read one (I just finished my reread of New Moon - TRIANGLE CITY).

What I loved about this anthology is the authors took the trope and played with it. This is not a 16 story rehashing of girl meets boy...meets another boy and DRAMA ENSUES. Oh no, this is a magnificent set of multi-faceted stories that prove the triangle is so much more than girl/boy/boy.

My favorite stories are Omega Ship
alice (arctic books)
3.5/5 ★

I know a lot of people despise love triangles, but I have some sort of fascination with them so I was incredibly excited to have a copy of this anthology in my hands. I enjoyed many of these stories; almost all of these stories have a variety of diverse characters - from characters of color, LGBTQ+ characters, fat characters - I was so pleased to see such a wide array of representation in these short stories.

I loved many of these stories, though I think that some shorts could have been d
Bonnie-Anne Carmichael (Love Triangles Are Fucking Stupid.)
I want to burn this.
Bekka
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbt
Fuck it. I don't feel like reading anymore books that I'm not enjoying. Here's what I have for what I read.

1. Riddles in Mathematics by Katie Cotugno. Easily a, if not THE, favorite of the bunch. This was really cute and I liked the inclusion of the inside-joke-riddles. This was more than just a romance though; it was more a story of the main character coming out and the aftermath that follows, especially her relationship with her mother. This is easily a story that could have been expanded into
YA Book Buzz Book...: Featured March 2018 Read 1 2 Jan 12, 2018 08:36PM

• Meet Cute: Some People Are Destined to Meet
  • Hungry Hearts: 13 Tales of Food & Love
  • Because You Love to Hate Me: 13 Tales of Villainy
  • Summer Days and Summer Nights: Twelve Love Stories
  • Color Outside the Lines
  • My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories
  • Ronit & Jamil
  • The Fine Art of Pretending (The Fine Art of Pretending, #1)
  • Fresh Ink: An Anthology
  • Begin, End, Begin: A #LoveOzYA Anthology
  • Between Two Skies
  • A Tyranny of Petticoats (A Tyranny of Petticoats, #1)
  • The Truth About Happily Ever After
  • Dare You To Hate Me
  • A Dog's Porpoise
  • If the Magic Fits (100 Dresses, #1)
  • When I Was Summer