Start by marking “Break Even” as Want to Read:
Break Even

Break Even

My story isn’t a love story … not the typical kind anyway.
As a lawyer, I’m used to discovery, but I never saw this one coming.

Every day, River gives me ten reasons to stay away, and then eleven reasons why I can't. Our relationship was to remain strictly business, or at least I tried.

Four years of marriage, and everything with Cole has changed. I never knew two people wh
Published December 27th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Break Even, please sign up.

Christy
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
4-4.5 stars!

photo 9D9AE55C-2BB8-4D1D-A6E2-305B03B5C0A3_zpsbw880jdj.jpg

Break Even is one of those books I was nervous to start. Lets be clear- cheating in books I can somewhat deal with, but when the person is married, it’s totally different for me. (view spoiler) So as I was reading, my heart bled a little for Cole. Then I realized what a terrible judge of character
Lisa De Jong
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
On Sale for 99 cents through this weekend!

BE photo BETEASER3_zpsddx95akv.jpg

BE123 photo BETEASER4-2_zpsmdd9d16o.jpg

photo 12370745_666449484117_2252908526830397188_o_zpsoj57pgvg.jpg

Break Even 1127 photo 12310069_777413149070812_3174888427501080687_o_zpsix9jclwn.jpg

photo 12309510_779100552235405_188391469321088540_o_zpsphjoec3c.jpg

BE Teaser #1 photo Break Even Quote_zpsfcox5sw1.jpg

break even photo Break Even 11302_zpsyssg67kx.jpg

Teaser!!!!

“What would you say if I said I was going to kiss you right now?” he asks, resting his finger under my chin.
I swallow hard. “I’d say I have a ring on my finger. That my ideals on marriage and fidelity are the same as yours.”
He closes the distance between us, his breath hitting my lips. “Then why are you here, Marley?”
Why am I here? I could have learned enough about this case without coming. I wante
Jennifer Kyle
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
4.5 Stars

description

Lisa DeJong delivers a fast paced, sexy, twisty read that is in fact a standalone story. Marley Mason seems to have it all. She helps run a law firm with her handsome husband but she’s also lonely and unhappy. She wants more than she’s getting from her busy husband, Cole Mason.

”To an outsider, I have it all – the job, the husband, and the house- but inside I’m nearly empty. Hell, I’ve been running on these fumes for over a year. I can’t go on much longer…not like this.”

Cole heads out
✦❋Arianna✦❋
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 Stars!!

description

“There’s not a true victim in this story; neither one of us was in the right.”

“Break Even” was my first read by Lisa De Jong and I know for sure it won’t be my last. This read was very intriguing from the start, fast paced, addictive with some interesting twists that held my attention until the end. If you know me or more exactly my tastes in book, you already know I don’t read love triangles. But for some reason, here it didn’t bothered me as much as I thought. In fact I really enj
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
4.5 Stars

To an outsider, I have it all- the job, the husband, and the house- but inside I'm nearly empty.

I'm not a reader that has many hard limits in books, but damn if this didn't take me out of my comfort zone in the best way possible. Evocative and unpredictable, Break Even crossed many lines, but written in the flawless and gripping way it is; it just worked. See I'm one of those rare readers that doesn't mind cheating in books so long as I feel that it fits the story. I'm not saying t
Arabella ~♡AB♡~
★★★★ 4.5 Stars ★★★★

Now LIVE!
Amazon US | Amazon UK

Sometimes I love to read a book that takes me out of my comfort zone, that pushes my limits and makes me really think and analyse what makes certain characters tick. Break Even is a love triangle, so I know a lot of romance readers are turned off by this, but equally there are a lot of people who will love this book just as much as I did.

Marley and her husband Cole run a law firm together which they inherited from his father. They are fairly succ
Angie - Angie's Dreamy Reads
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have tried writing this review three separate times. 3 TIMES. AND OMG. IT. IS. SO. HARD. I don't know why I'm struggling. It's crazy. I think it might be because I want you to READ this book SO BAD. SO FREAKING BAD. I want to light a fire inside you and make you NEED this book in your life. And I want you to go in and have the BEST BOOK EXPERIENCE ever.

Because I had ALL that. I had the most incredible time reading Break Even and I am desperate for you to have the same. Lisa has become one of
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
LIVE http://amzn.to/1YGzk8h
4,5-5 STARS

You must definitely read this book! I enjoyed it so much! It took me by surprise and I loved every part of this! It felt realistic and I tried to understand everybody and their actions even though sometimes I didn't agree with them! This book perplexed me a lot but I don't regret the fact that I decided to read it!
description
For these very reasons, it isn't easy to review it without giving anything away. Marley is a married lawyer who isn't very happy with her marria
Beverly
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Marley and Cole’s life looks perfect from the outside. Both are successful attorney and own their practice. They have the perfect marriage and are now trying to expand their life with a child. From the outside looking in it all appears to be perfect, but it isn’t. Marley has noticed a change in Cole and knows there is a problem.

“You’re crossing that line again.”
“I don’t live within lines.”

I knew something wasn’t right with Cole, so when River entered the picture I didn’t even feel any reser
KAT ♕ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books ♕
༺**Complimentary Copy**༺ Provided by the author
"Lisa De Jong" in exchange for an honest review..Thank you!!

TITLE: Break Even
AUTHOR: Lisa De Jong
GENRE: A Stand-Alone Contemporary Romance
RELEASE DATE: December 27th, 2015

MY RATING: 5

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

A dark, suspenseful, romance novel wooohoooo I am so ready!! Bring on the dark! Bring on the suspense and bring on the romance!!

This was a hard one for me to read, my boundaries were pushed over a line I struggled with, I don't think this book will appeal to a lot
Michelle
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 I Was Nervous Stars!
I'm not a fan of cheating so when I started reading the sample of this book I was shocked when I was one clicking to buy it before the sample ended. I was a nervous wreck the whole time.

Marley and Cole meet in college. They fall in love and get married. They both are now lawyers and they have taken over Coles fathers law firm. Their marriage isn't what it used to be. They both have settled into a day to day routine. Marley is ready to have a baby but Cole is constantly w
Kirsten
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 -Didn't see it coming- stars!

photo image.jpg1_zpswwnqmzxb.jpg
If you think you've heard my story,
you're wrong.

These words ring true for this intriguing story.

Married for four years, and together for the past eleven, lawyers Marley and her husband Cole, have hit a bit of a rough patch. Their relationship is suffering, and the wedge between them is growing. Marley is doing what she can in order to rekindle what her and her husband had. In his absence she grows more resentful.

When club entrepreneur, River Holtz strides in
Parvathy
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 +++++++ Stars...

O.M.G...!!! AMAZING book...!!!! I just loved it..!!! It was not what I was expecting and I'm just going to say that it truly surprised me..It's having a love triangle and also cheating (which I really hate) but what happens will never put you off the story..It's fast paced,hot,sexy,twisted,suspense filled, emotional and a truly splendid read...!!

Marley is a lawyer and she is running a firm along with her husband Cole. Having been married for four years she finds that her rel
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
3.5 - 4 ★'s

Loneliness...is a powerful feeling and can tear apart the most precious things. Marley knows that all too well. Her once loving husband has been acting different and it doesn't help that he's never around. But Marley has been so caught up in her happily ever after bubble that she can't see what's right in front of her face.

Marley and Cole met in law school and have been together ever since. They are now running the law firm that they inherited from Cole's father. Life has been good
warhawke
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of cheating story
Shelves: romance-love, erotic
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Type: Standalone
POV: First Person - Female
Rating:

On the surface, Marley Mason seemed to have everything - an enviable career and marriage. But on the inside she was just a shell of her former self. After four years of marriage, she was left feeling lonely and unwanted. When an unlikely man started paying attention, she craved what she had been missing.

River Holtz was cocky and demanding. As a businessman, he had visions and always worked for what he wanted. When he
Kelli C ~ Jack Sawyer's Heart
4.5 Out of my Comfort Zone stars!

I have always been a fan of Lisa DeJong…the first book I read by her, When It Rains, was the first book to ever make me cry! When presented with an opportunity to read her new work in advance…I jumped at the opportunity with no idea what it was even about! About 20 pages into the read…I was starting to sweat…to worry about the content as I was getting the feel of one woman, her husband, and a mysteriously sexy stranger and how 3 is always a crowd!

Keeping it brie
Brendy
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Brendy by: Parvathy
Let’s see…

This wasn't mind blowing as I expected, but it didn't let me down either... It was a good story but I think the author could have added it a few more twists to make it even more interesting.

I mean the plot is about a selfish prick of husband that is more interested in guarding his money than paying attention to his wife, and a wife that I was willing to slap hard ‘cause she wouldn’t find her own courage to open her mouth and say a few little truths to her dear hubby and a f*cking hands
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews

description

When you strip this down to the base storyline it's a simple concept that has been done a lot before. The difference here is that this one was coated in gold - it's woven together with real talent and presented like a gourmet dish.

It kicks you in the stomach and makes your heart ache. I went through a bit of every emotion possible while reading this. It was a rollercoaster ride, but it's turned me into an adrenaline junkie. It's not an easy or a particularly pleasant read, it hurts in places an
 Sonya ♕Chatterbooks book blog♕
★★★★4 Addictive Stars★★★★

photo 1450563534065_zpsp48tkye9.jpg

"People claim each of us has a soul mate who we're meant to be with. I don't think that's true at all. There are multiple people in the world each of us could fall in love with. How well you change together is truly what determines how long you'll be together".

This book really took me out of my comfort zone and brought out so many feelings that I'm still quite frankly trying to comprehend. If an author can make you feel that way while reading a story,then you know y
Aliana Milano
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*ARC received in exchange for an honest review*

Now able to somewhat write my review...

I just want to address something first. I think if this book receives bad reviews it will mostly be on the grounds that they will argue that the author writes about infidelity and adultery and doesn't respect that sanctity of marriage and blah blah blah...

Please let me point out that this is a piece of FICTION! And a damn good one at that. If you enjoy love triangles and angst and mystery and sexiness then you
Bev
When I first saw the blurb for Break Even I was chomping to get my grubby hands on it, and it was more than worth the wait. This is the first book I have read in a long time where I wished it was a paperback instead of an ebook so I could flip through the pages for spoilers, I was that damn worked up about where the author was going to take this. I had palpitations, the twists and turns left me sat there scratching my head at times and I had a fair few “no-ways” moments whilst reading it. I read ...more
Lina's Reviews  ❥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ❥ღೋBook Blogღೋ ❥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ❥
I devoured this book. Literally. Probably the best book of the month for me.
Marley is a married lawyer and she has a firm with her handsome husband Cole. They have been together for many years, but Marley knows that their relationship has arrived to a dead-end. She wants more than what Cole gives her, but he doesn't seem to notice.
When the elusive River Hotz arrives at her office for a case, she knows he is trouble.
River is thrill incarnate. He is everything Cole isn't. He gives Marley the atten
Jen
Summary
Marley and Cole are a husband and wife team running their own law firm. Despite being together over eleven years, there's a distance growing between them. Marley desperately wants to close that distance, but Cole is always away on business. When a new client comes to town, Marley has to attend to his demands. When he becomes more than she bargained for, will she be able to control him?

What Did I Think?
Let's get real for a moment, and excuse my language, but this was a ballsy story to wri
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Break Even by Lisa de Jong
4.5 stars!!

“I can’t go on much longer…not like this.”

So, Lisa de Jong really got me with this one. This was a book I went into totally blind, for me the best way and while I was expecting the emotional being that this is Lisa de Jong what she also delivered was that air of mystery too. This is a standalone read that is fast paced, intense, sexy and has twists and turns that I didn’t see coming.

“We’re stronger than our mistakes.”

Marley Mason has been with her hus
Luiza
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars

This book, woow... this bookis just great!
I started and couldn't put it down until it was over, then I regretted reading so fast, without spending time thinking about the story... At least I could dream about it, and it was awesome...

This book has a very delicate subject, which is cheating... yes, there is cheating... I feel ok reading books on this topic, it doesn't bother me at all, I may feel bad to say that I was really wondering why she wouldnt't cheat on him!!! I wanted her to!

I cou
Janey
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 "What can I help you with, Mr Holtz?" Stars

Adored this..

Marley and Cole Mason met at Law school, married and now run Mason Law Office, following the death of Cole’s father a few years ago.

Marley wants to take things to the next level by having a baby, but Cole’s frequent business trips are making the process become a bit of a chore. Aside from that, she feels the spark has diminished, which leaves her contemplative.

Enter a new client, River Holtz, that Cole shifts onto Marley. He’s over fami
Anne OK
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
It’s been a while since I’ve been able to say this upfront and totally without reservation: I LOVED THIS BOOK FROM THE FIRST PAGE THROUGH THE LAST!

Every word and every moment, good times or bad, felt meaningful and real. The plot was well-defined and certainly full of enough surprises keeping it fast-paced and enthralling. Most likely the “triangle” effect will give some readers a yellow light – and I’m not particularly fond of cheating or triangles myself. But this doesn't feel like the typica
Paula
Dec 29, 2015 marked it as did-not-finish

DNF at 30% (skimmed to end)

*heavy sigh*

I was so excited to read this book. This is my kind of storyline; one that will twist up my emotions and push me out of my comfort zone. Sadly, this book just didn't work for me. I've tried this author before but didn't care for her heroine. So I decided to give her writing another shot. What I've noticed about this author's heroines was how much they whine. And Marley annoyed the hell out of me. But that's not all. I felt totally disconnected from the stor
Brit
Advance Readers Copy (ARC) provided for my blog for an honest review from the lovely author.

Title: Break Even
Release Date: December 27th, 2015
Date Read: December 15th, 2015
Overall Rating: 4.5 Stars

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

If you're looking for angst than you came to the right place. This novel is full of it and it's also the reason why I gave it 4.5 stars. This book is sensational.
Ari
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Original Review: The Daydreaming Bookworm

*I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review. *

*5 stars!*

description

After being married for a few years, the honeymoon phase is coming to an end and the passion that Marley once felt with Cole is slowly burning out. Trying desperately to keep the fire alive for the both of them, Marley finds herself being tempted by her newest client, River Holtz. With her marriage barely hanging on by a thread and River promising her everything she desire
Bargain Basement: $50 Gift Card 1 10 Dec 28, 2015 03:08PM
  • Pure Abandon (Abandon Collection 1)
  • The Ground Rules Rewritten (The Rule Breakers, #2)
  • Opulence (The Excess, #1)
  • Torrid Affair
  • Get Me (The Keatyn Chronicles, #6)
  • Sweetest Venom (Virtue, #2)
  • My Time in the Affair
  • Roustabout (Traveling, #3)
  • Come Alive (The Cityscape, #2)
  • Girl Code (Accidentally on Purpose, #4)
  • From His Lips (53 Letters for My Lover, #1.5)
  • Pressure Point (Point, #2)
  • Twisted Souls (Twisted, #1)
  • Entangled (Fullerton Family Saga, #2)
  • Binge (Seven Year Itch, #1)
  • Lost in the Affair
  • Three is a War (Tangled Lies, #3)
“I’d rather go through a million storms with you than have a chance to walk once in the sunshine without you.” 6 likes
“A simple life can make you happy, but taking a few risks along the way can also make it fun. This could all end badly, but for now, I’m going to enjoy it for what it is.” 4 likes