Start by marking “Our Chemical Hearts” as Want to Read:
Our Chemical Hearts

Our Chemical Hearts

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  12,137 ratings  ·  2,127 reviews
Henry Page has never been in love. He fancies himself a hopeless romantic, but the slo-mo, heart palpitating, can't-eat-can't-sleep kind of love that he's been hoping for just hasn't been in the cards for him-at least not yet. Instead, he's been happy to focus on his grades, on getting into a semi-decent college and finally becoming editor of his school newspaper. Then Gra ...more
Published October 4th 2016 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Our Chemical Hearts, please sign up.
Savanna Not heavily no. The main character's best friend is a lesbian and has a girlfriend, but the story isn't centered on her.
Donna Hemmila One of the secondary characters is a lesbian, but the story doesn't address teen LGBT issues.

·  12,137 ratings  ·  2,127 reviews

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
One of those, "Why did I take so long to read this book?" This book broke my heart a little bit.

I loved Henry and Grace's characters so much. I loved Henry's friends so much. But, the story was just so freaking sad. I wanted to know, had to know, what happened to Grace to make her the way she was in the book. Why was she so unkempt, why did she wear men's clothes, why didn't she bathe that often, why did she walk with a limp? I had a couple of different scenario's and it finally came together I
Lola
This may not be the best contemporary book I have ever read, but it’s still an important book with a narrative that needed to be told.

We tend to associate death with illness or age. But what about unpredictable deaths? Those are the worst kind. One day you’re sitting on the couch, watching a movie, and suddenly the telephone rings.

It’s unexpected, but whatever, you pick it up. Who’s at the end of the call? A police officer, telling you a relative died.

Let me go back, that is not exactly the wor
maram ☂︎
“We were characters out of a movie.
We were thoroughly alive.
And we were absolutely beautiful.”

This is Sutherland's debut novel?! How? What? I'm shook. I honestly don't know how I'm going to review this beautifully written book. There's just no way I could do it justice but I'll try my very best to at least show my love for it :)

One word that stood out for me throughout this entire reading experience is smart. This book is so realistically smart, like does that even make sense? It’s filled wit
C.G. Drews
This book is so messed up and hence I love it. I'm actually really proud of me because I picked it up on a SUPER WHIM after having owned it on my TBR for like...a year? No really. I won it when it first came out. But anyway. I didn't really know what it was about, but it is not (as I first suspected) either about (a) cute fluffy fish, or (b) fanfic for My Chemical Romance. Startling information.

It's basically a story about what love is and poisonous relationships. And a lot of time I found mysel
Holly Bourne
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
A really thought-provoking book. I'm not going to lie, initially I was concerned because I wasn't sure what the story was trying to do. But then it slowly snuck up on me and, by the end, proceeded to gouge out my soul. A brilliant, cutting, moving (and yet hilarious) smack-down of Manic Pixie Dream Girls - and how you should love a girl, not just the idea of a girl.
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Have you ever read a book and felt like you wrote it? I know this sounds too egotistic, ambitious, haughty [insert other synonyms here] of me and I hope the author doesn’t condemn me but if I could write even just half as good as Ms. Krystal Sutherland, this book for me feels like I wrote it. As I was reading, it felt like my ideas, my thoughts, my references were all pouring out in the pages of the book which makes me feel both weird and amazed seeing that I didn’t write it.

Winning line to ski
may ❀

So this is certainly not a story of love at first sight.
But it is a love story.
Well.
Kind of.

What on earth was this book?? It made me feel all these strange, strange emotions and I’m still trying to figure it out????

description

Our main character, Henry, is a loveable child who is a total hopeless romantic ((basically me)) and meets this very odd girl, Grace Town, at school. She’s totally weird, and in the most fascinating of ways. She hobbles in the room with a cane and prominent limp, her hair is choppy a
*TANYA*
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. I wanted to read this book because it was compared to Fault in Our Stars and Eleanor & Park, two of my most favorite books of all time. I really wanted to love this book, but I just liked it. It was too quirky, bordering on silly, if you edit all that, this book would have been fantastic.
Romie
While reading this book, I did a list of all the things that I loved about it, because I knew I would be too emotional in the end to write something. So here it is:

* lots of Harry Potter references
* tackle the ‘not like the other girls’ trope
* makes it really clear that you don’t choose your sexuality - hell yeah
* Grace & Henry’s conversations via Facebook are everything !
* Grace and I have the same favorite song ;)
* Henry’s parents are so dang cool, so is his big sister Sandie
* the trio fo
Taylor Knight
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
I really loved this book. It was funny and cute but it also had a lot of meaning. I loved how everything was balanced and it wasn't just a fluffy contemporary and it wasn't one of those books that will leave you feeling like you got ran over by a train. It was the perfect mix of funny and serious.
I loved the characters so much and even the secondary characters were really amazing and well written. I thought the characters had interesting and different perspectives. They weren't like any charact
Cheska the Great is Not Okay
All I felt while reading this was bored and annoyed. This book was just unbearable to read.

(And please don't mistake the fact that I read this in under a day as an indication that I liked it, as the only reason I read it so fast was because I couldn't wait for it to be over.)

It felt like I was reading a very poorly-made John Green knock-off. And that's saying something. John Green's books, after you've compared them to all the other YA books you have read (in my case, I have read around 320 Youn
Suzanne
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the most beautiful books I have ever read! The story is a coming of age one that brings you on an emotional journey that will have you so engrossed in SO many emotions. The dialogue in this book is some of the funniest exchanges! This is a short book so if you do not want a long drawn out read I highly recommend you pick it up. Was so good!
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I liked this book but have found that it is a rather tough one for me to rate. I was initially grabbed by the awesome cover and after reading the description, I just had to read it. There were things that I really liked about it and other parts that just didn't do a lot for me. I have been wavering between 3 and 4 stars and have finally settled on a 4 star rating since it was a rather enjoyable read overall. It was a really quick read that to
Hollis
"Mother. Father. I have news."
"You've been conscripted to the war? What decade are you speaking from?"
"Ugh, fine : Home-Daddy, Mama P., I got a live tweet coming at you. Better?"
"Oh God, go back to World War Two, please."

There hasn't been a sad book that has made me laugh so hard, so helplessly, in.. a long time. Thank you, OUR CHEMICAL HEARTS, for giving me a well-rounded devastating and charming and sweet and awful and hilarious experience.

"Who's the sheila, mate? Saw you going off after her l
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This is the second book in a row that I've read that I thoroughly enjoyed, but still had a handful of problems with it. I loved the writing and the humor, but the whole 'trying to cancel out the manic pixie dream girl by calling her a manic pixie dream girl over and OVER' thing was too much. Same thing with the racism. The main character calls out the racism.... but then continues to call a character named Seeta Ganguly, Sugar Gandhi instead of her actual name. Those two things really rubbed me ...more
Odette Knappers
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Oh, this is such a beautiful book.

When I was at 60%, I was still feeling meh about this book, it felt average.

But then, oh my. This book is beautiful in a way like All the Bright Places is beautiful, but the book is still very different.

I like the point of view, from the guy, but that did not felt like this is how a guy would feel and think, but rather how a female want a guy to think and feel and all.

That point where this book grabbed me and touched me and made me cry (yep), oh gosh. The feels
Syndi
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i am speechless. should i cry? should i laugh? should i stare into nothingness?? this book is explosive. in a good way. reminds me that when u love someone doesnt mean u live happy ever after.

i love this book. it deals with grief and letting go. justice and redemption in most meaningful way.

my heart and my soul explodes like a firework.
Warda
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was heartfelt, hilarious and left me slightly broken. It's such a great contemporary, with YA cliches, but used in an unique and meaningful way. I loved the main character (Henry, my love), the friendships, and the subtle hints at feminism that randomly popped up.

But I think the main thing that stood out and mattered was how damaging unhealthy relationships can be, but how that also can lead to a journey of self discovery and healing. It was raw and needed.
Bec
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was such a wonderfully (often hilariously) narrated YA contemporary that I did not expect to adore, but Henry was too honest not to love and his story made my heart swell.

You how tropes can run rampant to dominate a story? NOT HERE! It's like Krystal Sutherland skipped up to each trope, acknowledged it with a high five, and then walked in another direction. I loved her for doing that, it gave her book a backbone of hilarity and anticipation.

These characters felt real to me; from Henry's n
Mara YA Reader Reviewer
Wow. Like just. Wow. I did not expect this depth by the synopsis and the first few chapters. I thought this to be a light, fluffy YA romance.

But in actuality it freaking gutted me. And in all honestly it was triggering. I’ve been battling with depression lately, having more bad days than good and the deep, deep depths we sunk to with Grace took my a little far into my own dark path.

But the fact that the author was able to do that. To move me so compellingly. To portray such pain and feelings o
Ryan Buckby
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
actual rating: 4.5

First love is an epic disaster
i enjoyed this debut book 'our chemical hearts' by Krystal sutherland it had everything that i love about contemporary novels and it doesn't disappoint at all. Sure it had all the cliché things but thats what made this story enjoyable and it made the story work.

it was a quick and easy read and every time i picked up the book i couldn't stop reading it, i praise krystal's writing style and how well thought out the story was. This story is about
Kat
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book presents in the most perfect way how everything that happens to us shapes us and how hard it is to handle a huge loss. It's written in such a beautiful and realistic way, it's honestly so easy to get lost into the story.

We have Henry Page, a high school senior who loves to write and worked his ass off to become the editor of the school newspaper. He never had an
Israt Zaman Disha
2.5 stars!!!
I am confused about this book. I don't like it much, I can predict some parts of it. But I predicted the ending wrong. That's why I'm giving it .5 star more. The ending is happy in its own way. And I totally get it for Henry and Grace. But I don't get it for the rest of the couples who broke up at the end which also seems unnecessary. And again, some rare fairy tale couples exist or so I believe.
Sara➽ Ink Is My Sword
4 I may be just a side character of a bigger love story Stars

BONUS: Reminding me- Shawn Hook ft Vanessa Hudgens 🎶

"But love is scientific, man. I mean, it's really just a chemical reaction in the brain. Sometimes that reaction lasts a lifetime, repeating itself over and over again. And sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it goes supernova and then starts to fade. We're all just chemical heart"

First word that this book provokes for me is, confusion . I felt confused in terms of liking or hating
Kamalia
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Our Chemical Hearts reminds me of a lot of other YA contemporary books I've read; a mashup of bits from All The Bright Places, Papertowns, Eleanor & Park, The Start of Me and You, and When We Collided. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, because at the same time it did have its own touch and overall i actually quite enjoyed it!I am rating this 4 out of 5 stars.

I think my favourite thing about My Chemical Hearts is the narration by the main character Henry. He has a fun and refreshing persona
Tilly Booth
Jul 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm pleased to announce that Our Chemical Hearts redeemed itself by the end. I started this book with high hopes because DAMN THAT COVER IS BEAUTIFUL and was severely let down. I was introduced to a whiny character that basically said he liked Edward Cullen and stalked the girl he liked on multiple occasions and well, not my thing. Henry Page was someone else by the end of the story and although there were plenty of things about him I still disliked, I understood him.

The characters in this book
Rebecca Woodward
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
This is a some what coming of age with a twist. The author has excellent writing skills. Her words just flow smoothly across the pages. I enjoyed reading her words. The storyline made me think about teens who have lost classmates/friends and my heart ached. I could not put my kindle down. I was pulled into the story from page one. I cried and laughed many times during my read. I fell in love with these characters. In the end I was happy with the last chapter because love is love. We are humans a ...more
rachel
I'm so conflicted. I do not know what I feel about this book. I definitely did not enjoy it wholeheartedly but I did appreciate some of what it did was trying to achieve. The ending was by far my favourite aspect of the story. It would have been so much more gut-wrenching and impacting if I had found the romance even remotely shippable before that… but I did not, unfortunately. I struggled with Grace’s character so much. I found the portrayal of her mental illness incredibly problematic. I canno ...more
Hélène Louise
This book has many qualities but alas some crippling flaws... In the end it wasn't a good read and I still don't understand how the entourage of the writer (friends, editor, beta-readers) didn't point the evidences.
Well.

The good points are quiet numerous: a good writing, an excellent voice for the narrator (a boy of sixteen yo), some rather humorous scenes and plenty of personal ideas. A desire to show how a so called romantic relation can be in fact a toxic one.

But the execution lacks of rigor,
prag ♻
Apr 06, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I JUST CAME TO KNOW (thank you!!) THAT THIS REFERS TO "THE DUMBLEDUDE CHARACTER FROM HARRY POTTER" AND LET ME TELL YOU I'M SO READY FOR THIS I NEED THIS NOW

• Muffin a čaj
  • Yellow
  • Zakázaná přitažlivost (Bavettovi, #3)
  • The Minnow
  • Ravnenes hvisken (Ravnenes hvisken #3)
  • Protected
  • Creepy and Maud
  • The Whole of My World
  • Devil's Honey
  • Dear Vincent
  • My Life as a Hashtag
  • After the Lights Go Out
  • Norra Latin (Stockholmsserien #1)
  • Sunflowers in February
  • The Pause
  • White Night
  • Untidy Towns
  • Head of the River
Hello. It's me.

I am Krystal Sutherland, writer of books. Or, more specifically, I am the writer of one lonely book, OUR CHEMICAL HEARTS, which is being published in September 2016 by Penguin in the US and ANZ, and Hot Key in the UK.

I was born and raised in Townsville, in the far north of Australia. Since escaping to Sydney in 2011, I've also lived in Amsterdam, which was awesome but cold, and Hon
“Love doesn't need to last a lifetime for it to be real. You can't judge the quality of a love by the length of time it lasts. Everything dies, love included. Sometimes it dies with a person, sometimes it dies on its own. The greatest love story ever told doesn't have to be about two people who spent their whole lives together. It might be about a love that lasted two weeks or two months or two years, but burned brighter and hotter and more brilliantly than any other love before or after. Don't mourn a failed love; there is no such thing. All love is equal in the brain.” 96 likes
“Just because a love ends doesn't mean it wasn't real.” 48 likes