Start by marking “Prisoner of Ice and Snow (Prisoner of Ice and Snow, #1)” as Want to Read:
Prisoner of Ice and Snow (Prisoner of Ice and Snow, #1)

Prisoner of Ice and Snow

(Prisoner of Ice and Snow #1)

When Valor is arrested, she couldn’t be happier. Demidova’s prison for criminal children is exactly where she wants to be. Valor’s sister Sasha is already serving a life sentence for stealing from the royal family and Valor is going to help her escape . . . from the inside.

Never mind that no one has escaped in three hundred years. Valor has a plan and resources most could
Published April 4th 2017 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Prisoner of Ice and Snow, please sign up.
Primarily A I'm 13 and this book was pretty interesting to me. It is a little juvenile though, and subsequently predictable, but overall I think that it could be…moreI'm 13 and this book was pretty interesting to me. It is a little juvenile though, and subsequently predictable, but overall I think that it could be the promising start to a book series. Maybe another Harry Potter. (less)
Michele I would consider 10 and up. My 4th and 5th graders are reading much stronger stuff than this. I plan on purchasing this for my school library.

Zyra
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
sisterly love + brave heroine + adventure
Shannon
Jun 07, 2017 marked it as to-read
"In a thrilling fantasy that’s equal parts Prison Break and Frozen ..."
🤔
Uhhh those are two things I would never have thought would be used together to describe a middle grade novel ...
Sarah E.
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was gifted an ebook via Netgalley.
I must have missed that the MC is 13 yr old in the beginning of the book, but that definitely makes more sense at the maturity of the story - not in terms of things happening in the book, but how it was written. It's not a lighthearted, quirky read. It's much more an atmospheric, dark read and I really enjoyed it. The Russia-like fantasy setting with the sisterhood and friendship made for such a great story. I really loved Valor and her determination to save h
Cora Tea Party Princess
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-tbr
5 Words: Family, power, imprisonment, survival, betrayal.

I loved this!

It's an excellent adventure that will make you feel COLD. I definitely think it sits at the higher end of MG, younger end of teen, as it gets a bit grim.

Full review to come.
Anna Priemaza
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This book was a pure delight from start to finish. I loved it. I read the entire thing completely riveted and felt like I couldn't turn the pages fast enough.

I loved the main character, her bravery and resoluteness, and her bond with her sister. I loved the humour. I loved the unique world that was vivid, elaborate, and both cold and beautiful. I loved loved loved that pretty much every position of authority and power throughout the book was held by a woman. So many complex female characters--go
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
3.75/5

MG fantasy that has echoes of Brave and Frozen. More character-driven rather than plot but fun.

Kelly
Prisoner of Ice and Snow throws us right in at the deep end. From the very first pages we are in the thick of the main plot and it took me a few chapters to fully understand and realise what was going on. Maybe that’s the YA fantasy reader in me though who is used to chapters of world building at the beginning of the books I read, so that isn’t a criticism by any means.

Valor, our leading lady, willingly commits a crime in order to get herself sent to the same prison as Sasha, her twin sister. Th
T.J. Burns
I loved this book right from the start -- the quick foreshadowing of the events to come pulled me right in and didn't let me go, as questions upon questions accumulated, straight through until the exciting, satisfying, though still incomplete, conclusion.

The characters are interesting and diverse, and I never knew who to trust and who not to trust. I speculated, guessed, reassessed, and second-guessed throughout.

So many questions are still left open. (view spoiler)
Brandy Painter
This is a fun, quick MG fantasy read. Valor gets herself arrested and sent to her kingdom's prison for children in order to rescue her twin sister who was arrested for theft of an important object needed by the royal family to complete a peace treaty. In the prison Valor has to learn who to trust and how to survive to complete her plan. This is a plot centric story and moves very fast. As a result, the characterization isn't terribly in depth or surprising, but there is a strong group of young t ...more
Vic James
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this gorgeously-written, plucky, warm-hearted and fabulously satisfying book.

When 13-year-old Valor's sweet twin sister is convicted of an incomprehensible crime - the theft of a diplomatically-important music box - Valor contrives to be imprisoned alongside her in a dreaded snowy fortress. Her plan: to break them both out, and to prove her sister's innocence, if she can. Only brutal guards, scheming royalty and a frozen forest full of wolves stand in her way!

PRISONER OF ICE AND SNOW is
Nicole Sweeney
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted on The Bibliophile Chronicles

This is a beautifully written story about the friendship between two sisters. It’s an engaging, enjoyable story, and one I think a lot of people will really love. The plot is full of twists and turns and has that perfect blend of action and plot that fantasy fans will just love.

The main character Valor is a brave, determined young lady, and she’ll do anything to help her sister – even commit a crime. I admired her strength and courage, she’s
Book Riot Community
When Valor’s twin sister Sasha is tried and convicted for stealing Queen Ana’s invaluable music box, she is sentenced to life imprisonment at Tyur’ma. In order to help Sasha escape, Valor attempts to kill Prince Awatol so she can join Sasha at Tyur’ma and engineer an escape for them both. Tyur’ma is heavily guarded, isolated, and no one has ever escaped alive. As Valor puts together a plan, a ragtag group of prisoners bands with her. But in a prison of deception and lies, is Valor wise to trust ...more
Amber
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: librarybooks
This is a pretty good read about a young girl who must save her sister and help her escape from prison and save her home from a corrupt Princess who plans to bring the young girl's Kingdom in where she lives to ruin . Will she succeed? Read this for yourself and find out.

This was an awesome action-packed YA middle grade fantasy novel. If you like these types of novels, definitely check this out for yourself. It's available at your local library and wherever books are sold.
Sophie Elaina
This book is like a mash up of Six of Crows and Prison Break! Such a strange mix of things that I would never of thought I would use to describe the same book. I feel like the atmosphere and way of writing was more intense than I first expected with this being advertised as a middle grade story and that was really great. I've seen a few others compare it to Disney's Frozen which I was a little put off by, but I went into it anyway to see for myself as I like to gather my own opinions. I am glad ...more
Claire
In the vivid and action-packed world of PRISONER OF ICE AND SNOW, The stakes are high and the plot boasts a sisterly bond that is both powerful and sweet.

This book was so fun! It was light-hearted enough that it filled me with warmth, but there was enough action to keep me rooted to the story. It's definitely a great mix for Middle Grade readers.

There was constant pressure on Valor because she's in prison, and needs to bust out. She's clever and quick, but not overly so that she jumps into Mary
Sara
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. The blurb for this immediately caught my attention as it sounded so unique - a mixture of Frozen and Prison Break in a middle-grade fantasy setting.

Valor, as a character, is rather unusual in that she wants to get arrested. Sister Sasha is already locked up in Demidova's prison for criminal children, and Valor intends to break her out from the inside. The story itself has a great set of female characters. Valor is a great role mode
Darcy Miller
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book, you guys. This book is so good. The world-building alone is incredible, but add in fast-paced action, a fiercely independent heroine that you can't help falling for on the first page, and enough intrigue to keep you up reading all night, and well . . . just trust me on this one. It's SO GOOD.
Emily
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! Sisters, escape plans, survival, and adventure, all in this beautifully written debut fantasy.
Di
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is a really lovely read. At 288 pages it's a short and quick with a focus on sisterhood, friendships and the ties of family. The only thing that really confuses me is why this one is billed as 'equal parts Prison Break and Frozen'. I can see the Prison Break aspect, obviously, but there's no Snow Queen or mystical magical powers in this one at all.

Valor and her twin sister, Sasha are thirteen years old and their parents are in service to the royal family; their mother the 'First Huntswoma
Linda Hill
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
With a peacekeeping musical box stolen from the palace, Valor wants to prove her sister Sacha is innocent of the crime.

Prisoner of Ice and Snow is a fantastic book for children aged around 8-11. Firstly, it is well written so that it models good writing for children. I loved the settings and the way in which Ruth Lauren portrays the cold and bleakness of the prison so magnificently, to the extent that it almost made me shiver. However, it is the exciting plot, great characterisation and the mean
Yolanda Sfetsos
Okay.

So I started this book yesterday and enjoyed Valor's voice and determination enough to keep reading. Plus I liked the writing style and the world seemed as interesting as the characters... but when Valor actually goes to prison (for a flimsy reason, if you ask me) I started to lose interest... And I worked out who the thief really was pretty early on, which was a bummer!

But the worst thing was when I found out this isn't a stand-alone! I was SO hoping it was. For once I thought I might ac
Manon
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a beautiful story. I loved it from the first page to the last. I can't wait until the next installment comes out, and I sure hope for many more books to follow.
Lexie
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-in-series
Quite enjoyes this middle grade fantasy - tho it's middle grade in the same way Tamora Pierce is (which is to say the characters all acted mature and dealt with political and personal matters most teenagers would have issues dealing with capably).

Valor and Sasha's relationship drove this for me. The two of them clearly trusted each other and would do anything for the other. It put some of the other characters at a disadvantage I think.

Feliks and Katia, while obviously close friends of Valor's,
Bianca
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
„Sich zu wünschen, dass es nicht wahr ist, hat nichts damit zu tun, ob es wahr ist.“ – Sasha

Zum Cover: Es ist sehr treffsicher gezeichnet und wundervoll koloriert, sodass man sich die Charaktere äußerlich kaum vorstellen muss. Allerdings macht man sich ja trotzdem noch seine Vorstellungen. Wohingegen ich genau sagen kann, dass das Mädchen in der Mitte, das auch im Vordergrund und Fokus steht, Valor ist. Das beweist auch die Armbrust im unteren Bildrand, denn Valor ist ein Lehrling ihrer Mutter,
Lori
This one was so much fun. A really well-done middle-grade book full of adventure and mystery and interesting characters that kept me wanting to read more. I really liked Valor and her sister Sasha and their relationship. I loved the mystery that I wasn't expecting and the friends they make along the way. There are a few plot holes that adults reading will probably notice but the whole thing moves so quickly and enjoyably, they almost don't matter at all. And probably won't matter at all to the y ...more
Charlotte Burns
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Prisoner of Ice and Snow starts with Valour preparing to act on her secret plan- we have no idea what she is doing or why until it happens. This draws us into her story. When we discover Valour's plan we realise she hasn't thought it through particularly well, which adds tension and makes the reader root for her to suceed throughout the book.

After a while I found Valour a difficult character to like: she acts without thinking  about the consequences of her actions on others, makes silly decisio
Fi
I was intrigued by Prisoner Of Ice And Snow by Ruth Lauren after reading a blurb that started with 'a cross between Prison Break and Frozen...' and that was it. An MG combination of those has to be good and so I started reading...

Valor gets sent to the prison where her sister, Sasha, is imprisoned for stealing a music box which was to have been a major part of a peace treaty between Demidova and Magadanskya. Instead, the two are on the verge of war, Valor's parents have lost their positions as t
Caitlin Christensen
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
This is one FIERCE Middle Grade book, and I am hopelessly in love with it.

I was intrigued by the cover more than anything else, and I’m so glad that I was because this is a gem of an MG book – perfect for adventure and fantasy loving readers of (in my opinion) all ages.

It’s not a rip-off of Frozen. I was really worried that it might be when I saw that it was being billed as “equal parts prison break and Frozen” but it’s definitely its own [uber original] thing. I’m actually kind of confused as
Kirsty Stanley

This was such a thrilling read with high stakes (both personal and societal) from the outset, and as a consequence had me zipping through to find out what happens.

Prisoner of Ice and Snow was like a cross between Prison Break, Six of Crows, Nevernight, and the first Throne of Glass, with a strong central sisterly relationship (a la Frozen), but perhaps aimed at a slightly younger audience.

Valor is such an awesome character. The book is told from her first person perspective. She’s a 1
Amy Parker
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An enthralling read full of adventure and intrigue. I loved the main character and the frozen setting. Could not put down!
YA Buddy Readers'...: Prisoner of Ice and Snow by Ruth Lauren -- Starting on April 1st 2017 15 17 Apr 04, 2017 05:57AM
Goodreads Librari...: Double listing 3 187 Sep 20, 2016 04:57AM
  • Skeleton Tree
  • Boy Meets Hamster
  • Stranger
  • The Red Ribbon
  • The Unicorn Quest (The Unicorn Quest #1)
  • The Ship to Nowhere: On Board the Exodus
  • The Wingsnatchers (Carmer and Grit, #1)
  • Sea (The Huntress Trilogy #1)
  • Tutti's Promise
  • The Train to Impossible Places: A Cursed Delivery
  • 24 Hours in Nowhere
  • The Trail
  • The Life and Death Parade
  • The Bookshop Girl

Prisoner of Ice and Snow (2 books)
  • Seeker of the Crown (Prisoner of Ice and Snow #2)
“I make my own fate.” 2 likes
“I should feel worse than I do, chilled to the bone, hungry and still tired. I should be terrified that I'm going to get caught. But all I can think about as I hurry away is that I did it. I found Sasha. And now there's nothing I won't do to get her out of Tyur'ma.” 0 likes