Start by marking “I'd Rather be a Witch (The Cotton Candy Quintet #2)” as Want to Read:
I'd Rather be a Witch (The Cotton Candy Quintet #2)

I'd Rather be a Witch

(The Cotton Candy Quintet #2)

Jordyn wasn’t careful with what she wished for.

After making a reckless choice that destroyed her life and the life of her high school sweetheart, Jordyn fled her small town to be a professional mermaid. Being around water suppresses her earth-based magic, something she desperately needs.

Yet Jordyn can't suppress who she really is - a witch.

When she learns that her mother i
Published October 10th 2015 (first published October 2nd 2015)

Rhiannon Frater
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Erin Hayes is a writer to watch. Her latest novella is a shining example of her talent. I'd Rather Be A Witch is a fun read with a few scary parts to keep your blood pumping. The lead character, Jordyn, is an enjoyable heroine with her imperfections, pink hair, and desire to set things right. Her family of female witches are sympathetic and easy to love. The story is simple, but very engaging. I was heavily invested in Jordyn's struggle to somehow fix the things that have gone wrong due to magic ...more
Ian
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
A lot of books have been written and this is one of them.
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Pretty awesome

Full review to come.
Izabella (Pages Full of Stars)
2.5 stars rounded up to 3

I was kind of torn with my rating here, because it wasn't a bad novella but it also didn't "wow" me. As I started reading I had this really strong feeling that I have seen all of it somewhere before, in one form or the other, and sadly the thought stayed with me throughout the whole story. The writing was good but at times I wished that the author decided to either cut down some things and make it shorter, or develop the idea into a full book, so that the characters and
Lola
I received a copy in exchange for an honest review

I'd Rather be a Witch is just as good as the other books I read by this author. I'd Rather be a Witch follows main character Jordyn, who we already met in How to be a Mermaid, but it can easily be read as a standalone. The book starts when Jordyn gets a phone call and has to return home. Three years ago Jordyn made a mistake and the consequences of that still haunt her. In a sort of flashback we find out what happened and when she returns home we
Jean
May 28, 2016 rated it it was ok

** Spoilers**

The book started off interesting but took a turn for the worse.
I understand that the 'morale to the story' is Not to practice Dark Magic but the book felt as though something was missing.

The story basically starts of with Jordyn and her first love Zach at junior prom,
everything is going great until they go to some make out point and a truck comes out of nowhere and tries to run them down.
I know things can happen in a split second but, when a vehicle is headed your way, full speed,
Paula  Phillips
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was in the mood for something fun the other day and remembered that I had some books by Erin Hayes, and this one captured my attention while browsing through my Kindle. First off, I have to say not only do I love the title. I have a cover crush on this book, and my hair is similar but more fuschia shade than the girl on the cover. In I'd Rather be A Witch, we meet Jordyn. She comes from a long line of witches and powerful ones at that; she was always treated as a freak except by her friend who ...more
Lori
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Everything in this book came together perfectly. It's not as light of a read as How to be a Mermaid, but it's still just as good. Definitely recommend if you're in the mood for a fast, interesting read with a great ending!
Daryl Ball
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I hadn't really been aware this book was part of a series when I picked it up but fortunately it's a novella that can stand on it's own for the most part.

After the first few pages i was thoroughly enthralled by the story wanting to read what happened next and it moved at a fairly good clip. Despite that though it still found time to set up some scary moments and letting the characters also breathe a bit so we have time to connect to them.

It follows Jordyn who has been away from her hometown for
Ramona Plant
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'd rather be a Witch is an entertaining book written by Erin Hayes. The author developed an interesting plot in this shorter read that kept me reading the entire book in pretty much one sitting. I felt the plot was well thought through with a nice twist at the end I didn't see coming. The pace was very good for a shorter book. I never felt like the author was rushing me nor did I ever feel like the story was dragging out, which are both important aspects to me.

Jordyn is a very likable character
Jill S (Love Affair With Fiction)
I'd Rather be a Witch was a quick enjoyable read. While it is book 2 in the series, it can easily be read as a standalone. I loved the premise of the book but I just wanted a little more. And I fully realize that this is unfair of me as it was a novella, and there is only so much backstory and explanations that you can include in a short book. But I still craved more. I wanted to know all the whys behind everything. Honestly, this means that what was there was well done because I would easily si ...more
Tiffany L Poynter
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great one..

I liked this book as much as I liked the 1st and last one. Can’t wait to read the next ones!!
I love the way that Erin is able to tell these stories and keep you interested in the story. I find myself being able to read the books in this series in only a day or 2.
Jennifer Hernandez
Great Quick Read

This is the second in a series, but it was the first for me and I didn't feel like I was missing anything aside from some character references. The characters felt developed and complete and the story moved at a good pace. The reveal was sudden, but a twist nonetheless.
Brittany
This was a recommendation for me and I was kind of disappointed. The main character is a witch named Jordyn who is called home for a family emergency. The story had a good premise but I just didn’t like the characters personalilties. Luke was a friend of the family and really just a huge jerk. Jordyn was just so whinny it was so annoying. Just not a huge fan.
Jenn
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
Went ahead and purchased the whole set on Amazon, $7.99 was a steal of a deal. :)

This one was quite a bit darker than the first, mermaid, story. I enjoyed it tho and actually would have liked a longer, more fleshed out book.
Keith Bornmann
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm really enjoying this authors work. This is my third book in the series. The characters are lovable. The plot is interesting. The book is a good set up for more in the series.

I hope to read more by this author.
Kayla Villarreal
A great read

I really enjoyed this book! It mixed a magical tale with mystery. The ending was definitely one I didn't expect which made it even better! This series is definitely worth reading!
Jennifer Holzapfel
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jordyn is working as a Neptune's Mermaid traveling around the country doing an aquatic show at aquariums. She is a powerful witch by birth and gave it all up three years ago, quitting school and leaving home.
It happened the night of junior prom, where her entire life was changed forever. Her and her boyfriend Zach went to shady point, the make-out spot for people of Centerburg, Florida.
They had been watching the stars until Jordyn saw the blood moon, which is always an omen of death to her famil
Gina
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-kindle
I really liked this a lot. Just as good as How To Be A Mermaid, the first in the series. I feel like I'm gonna have to buy the others in the series to devour them as fast as I did this one. It's nice to find a really good author that wasn't a one off.
Ola Adamska
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2017
This was a fastpaced novel that doesn't conceconcentrate on romance like itself.
There is a witch, a man brought back from death, mysteries from the past and complicated conections.
I enjoyed this story.
Laura Danielle Sawyer
Couldn't put down

I love the author write about a topic that does happen in out lives today and creates it into a story that can be enjoyed. I love reading her books and I'm ready to read some more.
Tristin
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another one down

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, like I had the first. I read it in a matter of hours. A book I couldn't put down and wondered what's going to happen next. I can't wait to start the next!
Samantha Reeves
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes life doesn't feel right until you truly accept yourself. When your true self is a witch? Things can get real interesting. Loved Jordyn's story and look forward to reading the rest of this series!
Mindy
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantasy mystery

Witches are real and some spells can't be undone. Fabulous book with mystical leanings. Definitely worth reading. Fun story with happy ending.
Laura  Hernandez (TheVoluptuousBkDiva/YABkDivas)
This one packs a powerful punch and I experienced goosebumps as I read it. This is definitely a tale of young love and of the consequences when you play with fire.
Tera Comer
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Very nice

I loved the wiccan interaction in this book and loved even more that it shows just how bad things can get when done with dark magik
Ashley Usadel
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it

This book is amazing such a great book to the previous one. I loved the characters and the plot and the lesson you learn. Some it's also made me cry.
Melissa Hayden
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, kindle
Jordyn has made mistakes, huge mistakes, that affect everyone. She wants to fix those while home visiting while her mom is ill with terminal cancer.

Wonderful shorter story. I was drawn to the characters and invested with them. In the end I had to work to stop the tears.

****FULL REVIEW****
*I requested to review a copy of this audiobook for an honest review from the author or narrator.

Jordyn's sister calls, asking her to return home after her years gone. Her mother is dying from cancer. Jordyn doe
Vivian
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'd Rather be a Witch is the 2nd book in this series and I'd have to say it was very well written.

This book is about another one of Neptune's Mermaids, who's name is Jordyn. When it comes to magic, we've all heard the saying, "magic always comes with a price," and in this story we find out just how serious that price can be.

Growing up, Jordyn was an outcast, looked at like she was a plague because her family was known as witches. One boy, Zach, was an exception, they played together as children,
Sara Miller
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After reading this book I had just one thought! (Well, okay I had more than one but it was things like . . . How awesome is this book! I wonder how I'd look with that color of hair? Ooo Cheetos! . . . It's fun living in my brain right?) but I digress back to the original point, how does one become a professional mermaid?! Seriously,
If that was a major in college I would have rocked that like no other. But anyway! On to the important stuff.

This book is all about Jordyn who is such an awesome char
« previous 1 3 next »

• Blood of Centaurs: Book 12 of The Witch Fairy Series
  • Caelihn (The Otherworld Series, #7)
  • War of Gods Box Set (War of Gods, #1-4)
  • A Dragon's Seduction (The Gatekeepers, #1)
  • Chosen Blood (The Sisters' Grimoire #2)
  • Ink: A Mermaid Romance (Falling in Deep Collection)
  • Anna
  • The Winged Fae (The World of Fae, #3)
  • The Secret Trinity: Glass Castles ( Fae-Witch Trilogy, #0.5)
  • The Midnight Spell
  • Come, the Dark: Cordovae's Journey (Forever Girl, #2)
Sci-fi junkie, video game nerd, and wannabe manga artist Erin Hayes writes a lot of things. Sometimes she writes books.

She works as an advertising copywriter by day, and she's a New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author by night. She has lived in New Zealand, Hawaii, Texas, Alabama, and now San Francisco with her husband, cat, and a growing collection of geek paraphernalia.

You can reach her

The Cotton Candy Quintet (6 books)
  • How to be a Mermaid (The Cotton Candy Quintet #1)
  • I Do Believe in Faeries (The Cotton Candy Quintet #3)
  • I'm Not Afraid of Wolves (The Cotton Candy Quintet #4)
  • How to Talk to Ghosts (The Cotton Candy Quintet #5)
  • I Wish I Weren't a Djinni (The Cotton Candy Quintet Book #0)