Start by marking “I'd Rather be a Witch (The Cotton Candy Quintet #2)” as Want to Read:
I'd Rather be a Witch (The Cotton Candy Quintet #2)

I'd Rather be a Witch (The Cotton Candy Quintet #2)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  178 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Jordyn wasn’t careful with what she wished for.

After making a reckless choice that destroyed her life and the life of her high school sweetheart, Jordyn fled her small town to be a professional mermaid. Being around water suppresses her earth-based magic, something she desperately needs.

Yet Jordyn can't suppress who she really is - a witch.

When she learns that her mother i
Published October 10th 2015 (first published October 2nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about I'd Rather be a Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'd Rather be a Witch

Rhiannon Frater
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Erin Hayes is a writer to watch. Her latest novella is a shining example of her talent. I'd Rather Be A Witch is a fun read with a few scary parts to keep your blood pumping. The lead character, Jordyn, is an enjoyable heroine with her imperfections, pink hair, and desire to set things right. Her family of female witches are sympathetic and easy to love. The story is simple, but very engaging. I was heavily invested in Jordyn's struggle to somehow fix the things that have gone wrong due to magic ...more
Ian
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
A lot of books have been written and this is one of them.
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Pretty awesome

Full review to come.
Izabella ⋆ Pages Full of Stars ⋆
2.5 stars rounded up to 3

I was kind of torn with my rating here, because it wasn't a bad novella but it also didn't "wow" me. As I started reading I had this really strong feeling that I have seen all of it somewhere before, in one form or the other, and sadly the thought stayed with me throughout the whole story. The writing was good but at times I wished that the author decided to either cut down some things and make it shorter, or develop the idea into a full book, so that the characters and
Lola
I received a copy in exchange for an honest review

I'd Rather be a Witch is just as good as the other books I read by this author. I'd Rather be a Witch follows main character Jordyn, who we already met in How to be a Mermaid, but it can easily be read as a standalone. The book starts when Jordyn gets a phone call and has to return home. Three years ago Jordyn made a mistake and the consequences of that still haunt her. In a sort of flashback we find out what happened and when she returns home we
Jean
May 28, 2016 rated it it was ok

** Spoilers**

The book started off interesting but took a turn for the worse.
I understand that the 'morale to the story' is Not to practice Dark Magic but the book felt as though something was missing.

The story basically starts of with Jordyn and her first love Zach at junior prom,
everything is going great until they go to some make out point and a truck comes out of nowhere and tries to run them down.
I know things can happen in a split second but, when a vehicle is headed your way, full speed,
Paula  Phillips
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was in the mood for something fun the other day and remembered that I had some books by Erin Hayes, and this one captured my attention while browsing through my Kindle. First off, I have to say not only do I love the title. I have a cover crush on this book, and my hair is similar but more fuschia shade than the girl on the cover. In I'd Rather be A Witch, we meet Jordyn. She comes from a long line of witches and powerful ones at that; she was always treated as a freak except by her friend who ...more
Lori
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Everything in this book came together perfectly. It's not as light of a read as How to be a Mermaid, but it's still just as good. Definitely recommend if you're in the mood for a fast, interesting read with a great ending!
Daryl Ball
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I hadn't really been aware this book was part of a series when I picked it up but fortunately it's a novella that can stand on it's own for the most part.

After the first few pages i was thoroughly enthralled by the story wanting to read what happened next and it moved at a fairly good clip. Despite that though it still found time to set up some scary moments and letting the characters also breathe a bit so we have time to connect to them.

It follows Jordyn who has been away from her hometown for
Tiffany L Poynter
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great one..

I liked this book as much as I liked the 1st and last one. Can’t wait to read the next ones!!
I love the way that Erin is able to tell these stories and keep you interested in the story. I find myself being able to read the books in this series in only a day or 2.
Ola Adamska
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2017
This was a fastpaced novel that doesn't conceconcentrate on romance like itself.
There is a witch, a man brought back from death, mysteries from the past and complicated conections.
I enjoyed this story.
Laura Danielle Sawyer
Couldn't put down

I love the author write about a topic that does happen in out lives today and creates it into a story that can be enjoyed. I love reading her books and I'm ready to read some more.
Jennifer Holzapfel
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jordyn is working as a Neptune's Mermaid traveling around the country doing an aquatic show at aquariums. She is a powerful witch by birth and gave it all up three years ago, quitting school and leaving home.
It happened the night of junior prom, where her entire life was changed forever. Her and her boyfriend Zach went to shady point, the make-out spot for people of Centerburg, Florida.
They had been watching the stars until Jordyn saw the blood moon, which is always an omen of death to her famil
Samantha Reeves
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes life doesn't feel right until you truly accept yourself. When your true self is a witch? Things can get real interesting. Loved Jordyn's story and look forward to reading the rest of this series!
Kayla Villarreal
A great read

I really enjoyed this book! It mixed a magical tale with mystery. The ending was definitely one I didn't expect which made it even better! This series is definitely worth reading!
Gina
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-kindle
I really liked this a lot. Just as good as How To Be A Mermaid, the first in the series. I feel like I'm gonna have to buy the others in the series to devour them as fast as I did this one. It's nice to find a really good author that wasn't a one off.
Ashley Usadel
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it

This book is amazing such a great book to the previous one. I loved the characters and the plot and the lesson you learn. Some it's also made me cry.
Tera Comer
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Very nice

I loved the wiccan interaction in this book and loved even more that it shows just how bad things can get when done with dark magik
Melissa Hayden
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, kindle
Jordyn has made mistakes, huge mistakes, that affect everyone. She wants to fix those while home visiting while her mom is ill with terminal cancer.

Wonderful shorter story. I was drawn to the characters and invested with them. In the end I had to work to stop the tears.

****FULL REVIEW****
*I requested to review a copy of this audiobook for an honest review from the author or narrator.

Jordyn's sister calls, asking her to return home after her years gone. Her mother is dying from cancer. Jordyn doe
Vivian
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'd Rather be a Witch is the 2nd book in this series and I'd have to say it was very well written.

This book is about another one of Neptune's Mermaids, who's name is Jordyn. When it comes to magic, we've all heard the saying, "magic always comes with a price," and in this story we find out just how serious that price can be.

Growing up, Jordyn was an outcast, looked at like she was a plague because her family was known as witches. One boy, Zach, was an exception, they played together as children,
Sara Miller
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After reading this book I had just one thought! (Well, okay I had more than one but it was things like . . . How awesome is this book! I wonder how I'd look with that color of hair? Ooo Cheetos! . . . It's fun living in my brain right?) but I digress back to the original point, how does one become a professional mermaid?! Seriously,
If that was a major in college I would have rocked that like no other. But anyway! On to the important stuff.

This book is all about Jordyn who is such an awesome char
Ashley Ehlers
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on Paranormal Sisters: http://paranormalsisters.blogspot.com...

*Was given a copy from the author in exchange for my honest review*

All magic comes with a price....

I was sooo not expecting how dark this book was and I loved every word! Another example why you can't judge a book by it's cover, which is gorgeous by the way! It's what drew me in.

Jordyn brings her boyfriend back to life when she's eighteen and all magic has consequences, it's the reason why she had to leave her home.
Lindsay
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
I am so excited about this book! I mean, I was amped up to read it before, but now that I’ve finally had the chance to sink my teeth into it, it surpassed every expectation I had! I would even go so far as to say this is my favorite book by Erin Hayes to date!

Even though it’s linked back to her novella in the Falling in Deep Collection, How to be a Mermaid, it had a completely different feel to it. Whereas the first was light and fun, I’d Rather be a Witch was full of darkness and foreboding. Go
Shelley
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I’d Rather Be A Witch is a sequel to How To Be A Mermaid but also a stand-alone story. Although you should really read How To Be A Mermaid because it’s awesome on its own, it isn’t necessary to this story. I love when an author makes a series like this; all the books are connected but can be read by themselves. In I’d Rather Be a Witch, Jordyn must leave Neptune’s Mermaids and return home. Jordyn’s character is very complex; on one hand she is very strong willed while also being vulnerable and i ...more
Tina
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-authors
I couldn't put this book down. I thought the story was very well written and quite emotional. I cried a few times while reading of the heartache Jordyn had endured since she was 17. I just wanted to hug her and make everything ok for her. I couldn't imagine being faced with the decision she had to make and to be honest who wouldn't want to save the one they love?

After receiving a call that her mom was ill, Jordyn realizes she can't run anymore. Terrified, she heads home to face the consequences
VeronicaMarie1986
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Be careful what you wish for. Jordyn, the main character in this story, was not. Jordyn is an earth witch, who left the town she grew up in and her family and joined a professional mermaid troupe, trying to also leave behind her heritage after she made a huge life-shattering mistake. Three years later, she learns her mother has cancer and not much longer to live, so she goes back home.

I loved this story! I actually finished this one last night, read it in one sitting, because it was just too goo
Terri Oconnell
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
In I'd Rather be A Witch, we again meet Jordyn who comes from a long line of very powerful witches. She fled her home town after she used her magic (never use lack magic even for a good reason in the lesson I think here) to bring her best friend/boy friend Zach back from the dead after they were in a car accident. (The story line from the first book although this is a stand alone book). So for the last three years she has been working as a professional mermaid which keeps her magic in check. But ...more
Christine
Jun 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I'd Rather be a Witch by Erin Hayes

Fast-paced with some interesting twists and turns.

Jordan doesn't realize the price she and others will be forced to pay when she makes a huge decision in the aftermath of a tragic accident.

Later, when trying to right the wrongs, she finds out what set events in motion long before that fateful night.

Interesting story and cast of characters, though one particular bit doesn't sit with me.

Spoiler Alert!!!

I just don't understand the motive/reasoning for additional d
Christine Stanley
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a quick enjoyable read that had my emotions all over the place and left me completely unable to stop reading until the very last page was read!

Hayes has done it yet again with a flawless story line that will leave you hanging on her every word. Yes this is a paranormal read but it is also so much more than that. This is a story about first loves, about lessons learnt, about growing up and about accepting your mistakes.

I loved that the Author was able to make me gasp in one breath and t
Mandy Parmenter
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jordyn is a witch who when she was younger wasn't careful about what she wished for. As part of the repercussions of that incident she had to move away and is currently working as a professional mermaid to suppress her earth based magic by being in water. However her mother is diagnosed with cancer so she has to return to home and all that she had to leave behind - including her high school sweetheart that she brought back to life and has been waiting for her.

Nice story that ties in with the How
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • My Merlin Series (The Complete Trilogy)
  • Brew
  • Blood of Half Gods: Kallen's Tale (Witch Fairy, #5.5)
  • Winter Fae (The Sisters' Grimoire #1)
  • Ink: A Mermaid Romance (Falling in Deep Collection)
  • The Secret Trinity: Glass Castles ( Fae-Witch Trilogy, #0.5)
  • A Faerie's Curse (Creepy Hollow, #6)
  • Once Upon A Curse: 17 Dark Faerie Tales
  • Spring Rain (The Witchling, #4)
  • Rourk (Keegan's Chronicles, #3.5)
  • The Midnight Spell
  • The Winged Fae (The World of Fae, #3)
  • Incubus of Bourbon Street (Jade Calhoun, #6)
  • Nightshade
Sci-fi junkie, video game nerd, and wannabe manga artist Erin Hayes writes a lot of things. Sometimes she writes books.

She works as an advertising copywriter by day, and she's a New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author by night. She has lived in New Zealand, Hawaii, Texas, Alabama, and now San Francisco with her husband, cat, and a growing collection of geek paraphernalia.

You can reach her
More about Erin Hayes

The Cotton Candy Quintet (5 books)
  • How to be a Mermaid (The Cotton Candy Quintet #1)
  • I Do Believe in Faeries (The Cotton Candy Quintet #3)
  • I'm Not Afraid of Wolves (The Cotton Candy Quintet #4)
  • How to Talk to Ghosts (The Cotton Candy Quintet #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)