Start by marking “A Hundred Thousand Words” as Want to Read:
A Hundred Thousand Words

A Hundred Thousand Words

Tobias Jackson grew up in Coburn, a town where the gay population equaled exactly one: him. Add that to the fact that his dream guy was his best friend's jerky older brother Levi Baxter, and it made hooking up virtually impossible.

Now home from college for winter break, Toby is a different person. He left Coburn for San Francisco, where he wasn't the lone gay guy and the
300 pages
Published October 27th 2015 by Nyrae Dawn

To ask other readers questions about A Hundred Thousand Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hundred Thousand Words

Start your review of A Hundred Thousand Words
wesley

Kristan's review captured everything to love about this book. You can read her review, here. So I'm just going to keep this short.

There is a consistent tenderness to this book – from the eloquent and crisp writing, to Toby’s honest point of view, up to the engrossing plot. All these flowed with utmost delicateness. When I read this, I felt a heavy weight surrounding everything in the story but it wasn’t stifling and oppressing. Rather, I was awed by its authenticity – how it just felt utterly an

.Lili.
***************IT'S LIVE!!****************

photo image.jpg1_zpszfxwgoxt.jpg

Let me start off by saying: this is how you write a New Adult story!

I am such a sucker for NA but got kind of bored with the genre after seeing the same things over and over. One of the main characters needs to be saved or let's throw every freakin' problem we can think of at them in one book- let's make it angst galore! This book was like a breath of fresh air. We have two men who have been in each other's lives
Meags
4 Stars

New adult and M/M in genre, A Hundred Thousand Words is a sweet, sexy, and touching story, featuring a best-friends-brother/friends-to-lovers couple dynamic between main characters Toby and Levi.

Toby and Levi have always been in each other’s orbits, with Toby crushing hard on the slightly older Levi from a young age. But when they unexpectedly form a new, more emotionally charged bond when home from school one Christmas break, the two begin to explore a sexual relationship that ends up f
✦❋Arianna✦❋
Oct 23, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars!!
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
I seem to be in a bit of a reading slump.

I just couldn't really get in to this one. There was some skimming going on.

I didn't find Tobias very likable. Not sure what Levi saw in him. Toby didn't seem to put much effort in to the friendship/relationship/arrangement.

I just didn't really care what happened. I kept putting the book down, doing other things.
Elsbeth

BR, November 1st with Momo.

This was nice!!
I loved that Toby was secretly in love with his best friend's brother Levi.

Seemingly Levi has gotten everything in life so easy.. His father's proud cause he's following his father's footsteps as doctor.
Levi was always good with the woman. His brother Chris "hated" him for it and for being an ass about it also..

Levi

Toby has grown up without his mother. He's not having this great relationship with his father. Ever since Toby's mother abandoned her fa
Rachel
Genuine. Tender. Authentic. Emotional. This is a poignant coming of age tale featuring two young men finding their way in the world. Both men are in their twenties, and both are attending college.

Tobias “Toby” Jackson is an English major, who is visiting home for winter break. Toby grew up feeling like an outsider in a small town where he was the only Black kid and the lone gay kid at his school. He’s had a crush on his best friend’s older brother, Levi, since childhood.

Levi Baxter grew up pop
Kristan

We've all had that moment; the one where you realize that the plans you had made, and the place where you're at, aren't necessarily the same. Or, the dreams you once had for yourself aren't necessarily the ones you would dream up for yourself now. Sometimes we can pinpoint where our life took a different path than the one we thought was laid out for us. Other times we look back, dissecting, and searching for where it began to unravel.

That's essentially the meat this book.

This book is a
Kaje Harper
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comfort-reread, m-m
Toby grew up with a distant father, who withdrew from him after Toby's mother walked out on them one day and never came back. The saving grace of his highschool years was his friendship with Chris, who is straight but not narrow, and has had Toby's back since the day they became friends. Chris shared his family with Toby. They spent a lot of time together. Some of that time was spent getting mad at Chris's older brother Levi, the golden boy who could do no wrong, who walked off with Chris's girl ...more
Tess
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: college

Although this is a romance, I see this more as a coming of age story. I loved the writing style. This is told in Toby's voice and his voice felt very authentic to me. He grew up in small town Oregon where he was the only black and gay boy in school. This has shaped his personality in some respects and the fact that his mom left before his teen years has shaped him in other ways. He's afraid to form relationships for fear of being hurt or left behind. His only relationship is that with
Pixie
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Pixie by: Elsa Bravante
Shelves: man-on-man-luvin
Man this book cut me deep…. I had refrained from reading this because I saw that not only was one of the MCs gay but he was mixed as well. And let me tell you…being mixed no matter what anyone may tell you is not the same thing as being black. This kid also has a lot of trust issues steaming from a parent that abandons him. Anyone who has ever talked to me on here knows I’m mixed and my issues with my parents makes this kid and I seem like doppelgangers. I didn’t expect someone to write a charac ...more
Silvana [The Book Voyagers]
description

You can also find my review at The Book Voyagers

Read this book people. Like you need it in your life, in your blood, in your bones to be honest. It's so sweet and romantic and real and raw. I related to it, You will relate to it. It's about college, decisions, family, loss, love, friendship. It's so real that you will feel you're inside the story with these characters. Nyrae Dawn made my night when I read this. It's definitely one of my favorite now.

Some things I adored (and you probably will t
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
I decided to read A Hundred Thousand Words by Nyrae Dawn in between of my TRK readathon. I was looking for something cute, and I didn’t expected this book would delivered it very well.

It is endearing. It would make you laugh and swoon. There’s also the quality of authenticity to it. It’s a spectacular read that would nicely diffuse the tension in your body.

Here’s some of my favorite things about it:

- The main protagonist is gay, biracial.
- The author is biracial as well, it’s an #ownvoice book.
Felice Stevens
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well-developed characters and emotional. Loved this book. My first by Nyrae Dawn but not my last. These two young men will burrow into your soul. Highly recommended!!
Eugenia
DNF@37%
There was little here to grab me. It was just OK. Not bad. Not good, but not worth my time at the moment. Very MEH.
CrabbyPatty
Because what if you see your true self and you don't like what you see? Levi isn't the only person who's scared of who he is. For him, the scary shit is that he feels like he doesn't know himself. For me, it's that I'm scared of what I could become.

Oh, I loved this book. Nyrae Dawn crafts this story of Levi and Toby with such eloquence and so much heart. A Hundred Thousand Words is the story of two young men who have known each other for years, and through the course of their relationship realiz
Santy
Apr 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq-m-m, read-2016
Enjoyable read... I really liked Levi. I liked Tobi initially, but then he started making silly decisions which ultimately hurt the people around him.

He however redeemed himself in the end so I guess he wasn't so bad after all.

I still want to smack him on the side of his head though.... ;)
Gina
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!!
Bárbara
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I had such expectations about this book... And they ended up killing my reading experience.

I've wanted to read this for a long time now, and why wouldn't I? The cover is amazing, the blurb looks super interesting, everything seems to click... Except the fucking excecution. Don't get me wrong, Nyrae Dawn obviously has something serious going on (I highlighted so many passages that were so beautifully written that I think it's a shame that the whole book didn't have the same feel as some of its s
Bella
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, college, m-m, arc, hea
4.5 Stars
What's better than reading about falling for the best friend's older brother? The m/m version, of course!
Loved this book!

Toby and Levi. Sigh. I loved this story about these two beautiful, flawed, real characters.

Levi is Toby's best friend's older brother. He has harbored a secret crush on him forever. It is, in fact, how he realized he was gay. Growing up in a small town was not easy for Toby - the only gay and black guy in his community. Escaping to college allowed him to explore his
Trisha Harrington
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: na, contemporary, 4-stars
This was a really nice read!

I've been wanting to read something from this author for a while now. This one has been on my tbr for a while and I wasn't sure what I was in the mood for, so I picked this one up.

The writing was so good. The characters were solid. I loved Toby and Levi. I also loved Chris ( Levi's brother and Toby's best friend, who I wanted more of) and Elaine (Levi and Chris' mom). She was awesome. I wanted to shake both dads on a couple of occasions in this.

Toby's issues felt very
Otterpuss
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! It's heartwarming and sweet and gentle and loving.
I totally bought into both main characters, they are well developed, they are real, they're flawed and I absolutely fell in love with both of them.
I felt Levi's reluctance and confusion and I loved how he handled Toby so gently and carefully all while trying to work through his own issues.
I felt so sorry for Toby and his dad...I can't imagine how hard it must be to live with the feelings of abandonment.
The emotion
Ele
Oct 23, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5**
AliciaJ
This was ok, but I wasn't really connecting with the characters. Their angsty issues just didn't resonate with me I guess. Oh well.
Dimitri
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I wanted so badly to love this book I ached, but there was just some insurmountable issues that I had.

First what I loved:

THE DIVERSITY. Okay I'm sorry to make a big deal of this but I am a black gay man and there is little to no racial and/or ethnic diversity in M/M Romance main characters. So I thought this concept was refreshing.

LEVI. I loooovved Levi. I mean at first he grated on my nerves, but I love how he was so forward and loving! Like he said stuff like this:

I'm not playing games an
Leaundra
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! I enjoyed going through both of their journey to find the love they had for each other. I got emotional in different parts of the book and I just thought Tobias and Levi were perfect for each other.
Line
Jul 21, 2017 added it
Shelves: 00-have, 00-dnf
Not my kind of story I think... The MC's are rubbing me the wrong way, and so far it feels like Levi is a spoiled, entitled brat and that Toby has a weird idea of how GOOD and GREAT he is in bed.
Not for me right now.
Judy
LOVE!!

This was an incredibly sweet, funny, sexy and emotional friends to lovers story.
But were they really ever friends to begin with? Not really.
Levi is Toby's best friend's older brother. He was off limits. Friend material or otherwise!

Two very different men, both broken in their own way. Each has a burden they carry. Feelings they keep inside.

Toby was quiet. He didn't know how to express his feelings.. afraid to get attached and rightly so due to his past with his family.

"You're good at
dammit, liz
I'm on the fence with this one. There were times I didn't connect with the characters or story at all, and others that I was really into it. Sometimes I found it repetitive and the dialogue awkward, and then I'd be completely engrossed.

In the beginning, I really liked Toby. The conflict with having a huge crush on his friend's brother and feeling was betraying Chris made me really empathize. Levi was annoying as hell, but that's okay, because I usually have a soft spot for the douchey character
Molli B.
Hopefully I'll get to write a real review soon, but I freaking loved this. Loved everything about it. All the thumbs up.

I had planned to come back and write a big, long review for this about how I absolutely adored Toby, how I thought he was very realistically portrayed, how I loved his voice. I obviously did not do that, so I'll have to do it during my next read. But he felt very real to me, and I definitely connected emotionally with the book.

This book features one of my favorite tropes—best

• Paint the Stars (Free Fall #3)
  • Living Out Loud (Free Fall #4)
  • Stupid Love (Stumbling into Love, #1)
  • Touch the Sky (Free Fall #1)
  • Chase the Sun (Free Fall #2)
  • Pretty Sweet (Boys in Makeup #2)
  • Murphy's Law (Havenwood #2)
  • Giving Chase (Havenwood #1)
  • Hard Knox (Havenwood #3)
  • Power Plays & Straight A's (CU Hockey #1)
  • After Felix (Close Proximity, #3)
  • A Kaleidoscope of Butterflies
  • Secret Admirer
  • Heartbreaker (Goode Boys #2)
  • Depth of Field (Last Chance, #1)
  • Screwed (Four Bears Construction, #4)
  • Awkward Love (Stumbling into Love #2)
  • Charlie Sunshine (Close Proximity, #2)
I am a compulsive reader and writer who loves YA fiction.

I love nothing more than writing about young adults. There is something so fresh and fun about it. You can pretty much always find me with a book in my hand or open document in front of me.

I live in Southern California with my husband and two children.

News & Interviews

Rumaan Alam began writing Leave the World Behind with a series of tweets on a secret Twitter account he started two years ago.   The book that...
“What kind of life is it if you don’t let yourself experience it? If you don’t go for what you want and live how you want? If you don’t open your mouth and say what’s important and cling to those you love? Not being who you are, or saying how you feel, or fighting for what you love, not being willing to risk your heart, is losing by default.” 2 likes
“Apologizing for a kiss that’s returned isn’t something anyone should ever do.” 0 likes