Start by marking “Superhuman Social Skills: A Guide to Being Likeable, Winning Friends, and Building Your Social Circle” as Want to Read:

The people we surround ourselves with may impact our lives more than any other factor, and yet most people leave their social lives to chance. What would happen if you treated social skills as though they were indeed skills, and became proactive about your social life?

Superhuman Social Skills is a transformative book which analyzes and explains how to be likeable, how to
Published September 22nd 2015

To ask other readers questions about Superhuman Social Skills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superhuman Social Skills

Start your review of Superhuman Social Skills: A Guide to Being Likeable, Winning Friends, and Building Your Social Circle
Rafal Szymanski
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
> "The group of people you surround yourself with will dictate the course of your life more than any other factor"

I have been following Tynan and his blog for a while now. He is the person who got me interested in minimalism and who influenced me to pack just a tiny 22L backpack for an extended trip in South-East Asia. If you interested in minimalism, travel or an unconventional lifestyle I definitely recommend you have a look at Tynan's blog.

I grabbed this book just because of the author as
Bouke
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short and sweet book that goes through the mechanics of human interaction and how to get more out of your interaction with friends and new people. It's basically a series of short blogposts in book format, going through topics like 'how to tell a story', 'how to make a friend group' and 'how to remember people's names'.

It's a valuable book that I'll probably re-read at some point just to refresh my memory.
Sai
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: talking-skills
I thought this book was surprisingly grounded and impactful, for its rather compact size. I half expected a Tim Ferris like tone to the book (some amount of survivor bias and slightly half baked ideas, but otherwise good in a utilitarian way); but, I was wrong. The author seemed like he had a lot of depth to him, and his advice came from that depth, which was cool.

I really liked the way he broke down communication into the content, meta, emotional and status components. Of all the communication
Sean
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Actionable advice

This was a practical, engaging read. Tynan balances sharing his experience with practical tips for practicing cornerstone skills that impact everyone socially.
Allen Walton
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quick and easy read with lots of good advice. I'm taking off a star cause it really bugs me that there's no table of contents or page numbers.
Eric
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't usually read self-help books. I'm a good Scandihoovian who figures I'm good enough the way I am already and if I can't figure it out myself it's not worth knowing. But I've always known I had poor social skills and I would like to know how to improve them. Some people sure don't seem to have any problem.

This was available as a free Kindle read with my Amazon membership so I gave it a look.

Some of the advice seems contrived, like coming up with some basic stories about yourself that you
Ronit Konch
Discusses the ways that you can create better relations with other people and connect more easily. Can be boiled down to how to meet regularly meet your friends or deepen the friendship. Discusses what you can personally bring to the table to help deepen the friendship or strike up new friendship. Simple hacks to get over different awkwardness' or to feel more confident approaching new people (improve your ability to tell stories, prepare some beforehand to give you psychological boost etc.)
Tam G
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
It was okay. My take away? Don't just listen (ala Make Friends and Influence People). Create responses with hooks that people can pick up and ask you about. Try to keep those hooks from being boasts.

How do we do this? No idea.

Most of this is not new stuff, but it is short and fairly succinct.
John MacIntyre
This book has some gems. my favourite is the conversation sub-channels; Content, meta, emotion, & status. Personally I tend to operate 98% at the content channel, where people mean what they say. I often have difficulty understanding "what just happened?". LOL. This concept will help derive meaning if you're like me.
Giovanni Cepin
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Honest & Inciteful

Easy read with loads of powerful suggestions to improving your social skills and becoming a better friend. I'd recommend this book to any and everyone because we could all build stronger relationships and connections with each other.
Abhishek Nair
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting read

The book swells into the concept of honing social skills that can be used to ones advantage. It provides a clear indication of choosing the right type of values to build a social norm.
Taran
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book

Came away with a handful of nuggets. Just one justifies the time and energy of reading. Would recommend it to every human.
Alyssa W
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Not a bad read, kind of puts a lot of things I already sort of thought about into words.
Paola
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book!

The author gives you terrific examples & encourages you to practice what you've just read. The book is really simple to understand & the advice is great.
Khoo Fei
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Tell stories
anna b
May 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
For the socially inept, up it to 2 stars for some very useful points.
Daniel Coker
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Showed me insights on how to improve my communication skills, social skills, storytelling and many more. Made me realise my social skills can be improved like any other skill.
Adam
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Useful to skim through to get ideas.
Karl
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short and on point. Loved it.
Cristian Soto
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good book for introvert people!
Ankur Sharma
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Kind of nerdy book for asocial me. In this genre, however, my favourite book remains, How to Win friends.
Aldwin Susantio
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Points :
(+)Be a good storyteller.
(+)Don't leave bad first impression.
(+)Stay with friends that make your life better.
(+)Avoid friends whose company you didn't enjoy.
Nathan Sudds
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I'm probably biased though, as an avid reader of Tynan's blog I think there's a rapport that's already developed that may be missing for others jumping right into this as the first read.

I find the look into social skills from Tynan's perspective very fascinating and as the book continues even more useful.

Some may just come naturally to others, but even then I think you'll find at least something worth the read - from the concept of taking responsibility, to the four channels
Holly
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Superhuman Social Skills. Tynan is a rigorously thoughtful person who, in this book, is directing that thoughtfulness toward what it means to be a good friend. The level of insight Superhuman Social Skillsis impressive and Tynan's approach, although sometimes almost clinical in tone, so clearly comes from the right place that any perceived coldness is immediately forgiven.

Tynan understands that his tone might be perceived as stand-offish, and he introduces his book in a manner
Rebecca
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was slow to get into reading this book at first, as I really wasn't actually looking for this kind of self-help, but I had a Kindle copy that I got for free I think back when it was first published. I figured, why not, it's short, and it's never a bad idea to brush up on this sort of thing, and I definitely wasn't let down.

This book really does pretty much have something for all levels. It's broken down into short chapters and digestible chunks, with pretty easily actionable items that a
Cagne

Insightful on some concepts like the effect an individual has within a party or a group, the ability to tell a story in an engaging way, and taking the pulse of the interest other people have in the conversation.

Emmanuel Ventura
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A LIFE book for everyone

I would consider myself very socially skilled, with my best example being that I can go to a party where I don't know anyone at all and I'm confident that I can contribute something positive to the party.

And yet even with this skill, I feel rather lonely in this current moment. I have many acquaintances, but talk about close friends and I'm struggling to think of them.

My point is that if you want to improve your current social life (even if your social skills are
Piotr Kalinowski
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved the unapologetically analytical approach to being social with other people as a skill that can, and probably should be developed, considering potential benefits for all the parties involved. If I have any complaints, it's that the introduction was a bit too repetitive when trying to answer potential criticism that such technical approach to social skills could be viewed by some as manipulative. Yes, we all do this. The question is not of if, but self-awareness, and how honest ...more
Candida Stamp
Dec 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
There are some interesting concepts here. It sounds like a young man's game, though. I have a hard time figuring out how to apply it to my situation of being a wife and mother for many years and finding the right way to either get back together with old friends or find new ones. That's probably just due to my own lack of imagination though. Maybe I'll skim through it again and try to find some concrete ideas in there.
Amy
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-improvement
I didn't think I needed social skills

I didn't think I needed this book. I've read his other books and loved them, so I decided to read this one too. As I started reading it, I realized that there are definitely lots of ways that I can improve my social skills. Thanks for another great book, Tynan!

• The Third Door: The Wild Quest to Uncover How the World's Most Successful People Launched Their Careers
  • Models: Attract Women Through Honesty
  • Six Pillars of Self-Esteem
  • Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered
  • Our Planet: New Scientist: The Collection
  • The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human Element of Security
  • The Bulletproof Diet: Lose up to a Pound a Day, Reclaim Energy and Focus, Upgrade Your Life
  • Overdoing Democracy: Why We Must Put Politics in Its Place
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • What Art Is
  • Meaning in Life and Why It Matters
  • Way of the Warrior Kid: From Wimpy to Warrior the Navy SEAL Way: A Novel (Way of the Warrior Kid, #1)
  • Company of One: Why Staying Small Is the Next Big Thing for Business

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“When telling a story, you should have three primary phases in order: the setup, the buildup, and the payoff.” 1 likes
“We may have hundreds of Facebook friends whose every move we follow, but with whom we never have a meaningful conversation. So many of our conversations are electronic that we've dulled some of those skills that are only useful in real life: timing, yielding, listening, and perceiving facial expressions and body language.” 0 likes