Start by marking “The Bold Ship Phenomenal” as Want to Read:
The Bold Ship Phenomenal

The Bold Ship Phenomenal

The Bold Ship Phenomenal is a story in two parts, running parallel to each other. Malachi is an 11 year old boy who is struggling with life. His mum has recently passed away, his dad is coping by disappearing into a shell, and he has been asked to complete a science project by the dreaded Mrs Green.

While he is walking along the beach - his favourite place to think - he fin
Published 2015 by Flat Bed Press

To ask other readers questions about The Bold Ship Phenomenal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bold Ship Phenomenal

Start your review of The Bold Ship Phenomenal
Tui Allen
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rollicking but Meaningful Kiwi Novel for Kids
This is a rollicking good yarn on one level but so much more than that. It has something important to say to its audience, beyond the adventure itself.
I found it un-put-down-able and read until almost midnight to finish. I'm an adult, so not even part of the target audience.
The beginning was irresistibly captivating. The romance of a ship in a bottle especially one found as flotsam (or was it jetsam perhaps? Had some power SENT that bottle to Malachi?
Kathleen Dixon
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathleen by: the Bookshop
I'm a typical Aucklander (Auckland = the largest city in New Zealand - we all think nothing much exists south of the Bombays (that's a small range of hills really just past the outer edges of Auckland's outskirts) and are always pleasantly surprised to discover that plenty goes on elsewhere), and I assumed this book was initially set here in Auckland. So I got a surprise when the truck was heading north and was only at Cambridge (south of Auckland). Well really (!), there was no reason for me to ...more
Olivia
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Interesting book, however not very interesting or appealing to me, wouldn't read it again ...more
Katia
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My children and I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The parallel adventure stories are very clever.
Aniket
Oct 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
this book is interesting its about a young boy who is struggling in life
Catherine Mayo
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really lovely book which, like its hero, Malachi, has been on a long, brave journey and has finally reached home port. Written and visually designed for children aged seven to ten, it tells the story of Malachi, a Kiwi kid growing up on a coast surely not so different from the author’s own home town of Raglan.

Malachi’s mother has died, leaving Malachi and his father emotionally lost and struggling to make sense of the grey and dismal world her departure has plunged them into. Grief can
Nova
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for 9-13 year olds about a young lad, Malachi, whose mother has died, his dad is too sad to do anything and school is boring especially science.
One day he finds a ship in a bottle washed up on the beach. The pirate ships in the bottle spark a thirst for adventure and Malachi decides to join an environmental protest in Northland. His adventures include a pig, native bird traffickers and thieves. I would highly recommend this for reluctant readers.
Liz
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nz-writers-quiz
An excellent mixture of adventure and fantasy. A great read aloud for senior primary students
Lyndsey Smith
Feb 07, 2019
Lynda Trower
Jul 09, 2016
Sue
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Melisa
Apr 18, 2017
Kelly Foster
Feb 17, 2017
Miss Glenny
Oct 19, 2015
Bridget
Great read for middle school readers. Lots of excitement and intrigue. Proper review to follow.

• Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)
  • The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
  • You're Not Listening: What You're Missing and Why It Matters
  • La consolante
  • The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #0)
  • Letters to a Young Poet
  • Library of Souls (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #3)
  • Hollow City (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #2)
  • Tales of the Peculiar (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #0.5)
  • The Gifts of Imperfection
  • Devotions: The Selected Poems of Mary Oliver
  • The Circle of Lies (Hunters of Chaos, #2)
  • Hunters of Chaos (Hunters of Chaos, #1)
  • Pax (Pax #1)
  • Being Miss Nobody
  • A Māori Word A Day
  • Events That Changed The World
  • Chinese Cinderella and the Secret Dragon Society
I live with my family at Whaingaroa Raglan on the wild west coast of New Zealand. When I'm not writing books, I'm...writing (I work as a freelance writer) and walking the tideline of our beautiful harbour. I find it's the best place for discovering stories; like sea-borne treasures, they wash up at my feet. ...more