Start by marking “Long Red Hair” as Want to Read:
Long Red Hair

Long Red Hair

Long Red Hair is Meags Fitzgerald’s follow up to her acclaimed Photobooth: A Biography. In this graphic memoir, Fitzgerald paints a lively childhood full of sleepovers, amateur fortune-telling and watching scary movies. Yet, Fitzgerald suspects that she is unlike her friends. She intimately takes us from her first kiss to a life sworn off romance.Long Red Hair alluringly d ...more
Published September 2015 by Conundrum Press

To ask other readers questions about Long Red Hair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Red Hair

David Schaafsma
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I first read Fitzgerald's non-fiction/memoir book Photobooth (which is mainly a historical but also personal exploration of her obsession with photobooths), which I liked quite a bit. Fitzgerald is young and clearly interested in everything: She's an illustrator, graphic novelist and animator. She does improv and performs as a storyteller. She's learning aerial silks and trapeze with the circus.

So this book feels like what I just described about Fitzgerald's life, a kind of circus of amusements.
Raina
When I was a kid, I remember playing "house" with my friends. As I got older, this game started consisting mostly of taking turns describing how we wanted to look as our new playtime characters. I don't remember doing much beyond monologuing a few paragraphs of that.

Fitzgerald's slim GN memoir is through the lens of her personal feelings towards the titular physical attribute. It starts with a scene of her childhood, consuming media depicting such a characteristic (va-va-voom). Then, she shows h
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
The drawings in here are so gorgeous!! I loved the sepia colours dotted with diluted green and orange. Also I don't think I've ever identified so much with a book!! Bisexuality, witches, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, teenage vegetarianism: it's like Meags Fitzgerald is writing about my life.

For more, see the review on my blog.

Michelle
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
Graphic novel lovers, take my review with a grain of salt, because so far I only love wordy graphic novels like Fun Home and Diary of a Teenage Girl. My issue with Long Red Hair was that I didn't think it went deep enough. It's fairly thin, the story jumps around a lot, and the reader doesn't get as much depth to the character as I needed. We see a girl playing D&D, playing "witch" with her friends, getting interested in music, coming out as bi, learning a bit about open or poly relationship ...more
Susie
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
This was a quiet little story, with an art style I adored. It served as an excellent diving off point into Meags Fitzgerald's work. <3
Hayley
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Really underwhelmed by this,it felt really fragmented and shallow.The art style was good although I felt like the characters looked really different at times which made it confusing.
nadia (( disquieting thing ))
this is the first book i've read for my comic book class, and i already think i discovered a favourite autobiographical graphic novel. it's a read i know i'd want to pick up whenever i'm feeling particularly down. a lot of what the author is referencing, although simple and pretty universal, i still need to hear from time to time. so thanks for that, i guess. it's a nice mood-booster.
Just A. Bean
Jun 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, lgbt
I liked a lot of the ties between women here, the playfellows and adult friendships. I also liked that the book was sex positive even while the main character shaded a little grey (to my eyes). Her relationship with her parents was also cool.

The discussions of identity and shapes the main character toyed with (bisexual, celibate, feminine, punk) and took on were well integrated, and didn't feel like lectures. The title red hair motif worked well.

I didn't get a lot out of the art, and because a l
Cheriee Weichel
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
There is so much to admire about this book. The illustrations are gorgeous. Meags Fitzgerald's memoir deals with growing up in the 1990's and coming out as bisexual. She had strong loving parents who accepted and supported her. They introduced her to Dungeons and Dragons. (How cool is that) The book references all kinds of powerful women from Queen Elizabeth 1 to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. An interesting component is Fitzgerald's examination of celibacy. This book would be a good addition to our ...more
Kelly Mellings
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I picked up my copy off of Meags when she was in Edmonton. This book is a lovely, personal reflection told in a careful and crafted manner. Meags has very innovative panel layouts and every element in the book feels considered and cared for. The lettering, the colouring, the choice of very earthy mediums all elevate the mood and themes reflected in the book. A short but enjoyable memoir by a bright young talent. I look forward to reading more by Meags and am glad that voices like hers choose thi ...more
Garconniere
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this down. Meags Fitzgerald has crafted yet another beautiful graphic novel in which I see shades of myself. Intensely intimate at moments, but perhaps I read it that way because so much of it echoes my own experiences. I love how it is a book about sexuality but not at all, in the sense that it is not a book about sex, but desire, and how our desires shape who we are and how we are perceived by others.
mahana
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Long Red Hair is a graphic memoir chronicling one woman's sexual discovery throughout her life, often accompanied by dramatic hair changes. As a teenager, she identifies as bisexual but later changes this status to queer. It's a quick graphic novel to read, but I didn't understand the point behind most of her stories. If it interests you, consider picking it up, otherwise you're not missing much.
Danika at The Lesbrary
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read this during the readathon, and although it wasn't as witchy/Octobery as I was expecting, I still really enjoyed it! I liked the discussion of sexuality and celibacy, and--of course--the Buffy references. The art style is beautiful. I love pencil crayon-style graphic novels.
Dov Zeller
How to be across from others and still be and feel one's self? How to make sense of romance when it doesn't seem like a variation on connection and expressiveness but rather, like losing a hold of one's own whole voice--or, "diluting" one's voice as Fitzgerald's memoirish self says at the end of the book. How to navigate various kinds of attractions, none of which are necessarily compelling in a precisely sexual way? Or, at least, not conventionally so.

this strange little book explores these qu
Michelle
My critical brain wants to give this a 3-star rating, but my more emotive reviewing brain is demanding I give it 4. This is a comic that I sorely wish was available to me when I was in high school.

This is a very short memoir about Fitzgerald's coming-of-age in the 90s and dealing with all the things that come with that: mainly, discovering herself as a sexual being. It's a very straightforward memoir, though it also meanders quite a bit (very much in the same way real life does). It doesn't make
mica-micare
It could be that I associated strongly with Fitzgerald's coming-of-age story, but I really enjoyed this comic book about realizing one's sexuality.

Fitzgerald's art is more realistic than most comics are, and while it had a loose, relaxed aesthetic it was pretty detailed. As an artist, I loved this book's visuals.

In terms of text, this book itself is pretty short, so it was an incredibly fast read (I think I burned through it in about an hour, give or take, in between doing a few other things).
Abby
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comix, glbtq, autobio
2.5 stars. I wanted to like this more than I did. Fitzgerald's drawings are expressive and compelling, but the narrative was too choppy and disjointed for my tastes. The switches between Fitzgerald's childhood and her young adult years felt too abrupt and didn't hang together for me. As a series of short sketches about growing up queer, the pieces are effective, but I don't think they make a full-fledged memoir.
Rudy Russell
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Cute drawings, but I found the identity stuff really basic. Also, I kept getting confused about who was the narrator and who was the person she was talking to. I did read it after taking solpadeine tho so maybe that is on me...
Meghan
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, memoir, lgbtq
I wish this was more ambitious. The artwork and layout really worked for me, but it was less than 100 pages, and ended up seeming overly impressionistic - scenes, but not enough follow through.
Alexandra
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
the result of spending years focusing my attention inward is that i’ve developed many of the traits that i would hope to find in a partner, subsequently becoming my own ideal.

one day i think i would be happy to be attached but if it never happens, i know i enjoy my own company.”

jesus CHRIST i’m SCREAMING inside. 😭🙌🏼💕

i relate so fucking hard.

i thoroughly enjoyed this graphic memoir of a bisexual woman who, when she tries dating, feels like “half of my usual self, like the other person’s presence
Sandy
Nice coming-of-age story about how the author comes out as bisexual.
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This was so all over the place.
Rachel
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this- especially the fact that all the movies referenced were the ones I grew up with and all the sleepover games played were ones me and my friends played at sleepovers. This was a really nostalgic book.
carpe librorum :)
I found it at a book fairy and I brought it because I liked the art and colour palette. I had no ideia what the story was really about, but I found it very interesting. The discovery of the sexual identity of a contemporary girl, expressed by herself, with lots of humour and sensitivity...
The story is very recent, she's younger than me, but I recognised the tv shows and most of the books she read.
I loved the reaction of her parents, they were really great, so different than mine, a complete di
Paula
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Maybe it's just me but I didn't like the ending, it seemed inconclusive. I also thought 'red hair' would have held more meaning since it is the title of this book. But overall, it's a pleasant read and quick enough that if you don't enjoy it you haven't lost too much time.
The Book Girl
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this, Review to come.
Linus
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bi
This is… nice? Well, it's a random assortment of fragments of someone's life, but that's what memoirs are, so. Loved the D&D, loved the "using your red hair s a marker of your weirdness" (I so relate to that, definitely me before I switched to blue).

I was a bit disappointed by the notes on the last page though. It says something like "back then, I only knew the word bisexual, so I used that even though there are more inclusive words now, like pansexual". Nonbinary gender isn't mentioned expl
Jewelia Howard
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i loved this because i really felt a connection to it with where i am in my life right now. i wish it was longer and went into more detail but it was a beautifully written and drawn story and it just really resonated with me and made me feel safe
Jessica
Long Red Hair is a sweet but very short graphic memoir spanning a period of more than twenty years as the author struggles with being unpopular in school, begins to identify as bisexual, comes out to her very supportive family, and wrestles with failed relationships and an unexpected period of celibacy. It's told in brief vignettes, mostly in chronological order but with occasional flashbacks.

I enjoyed the book, but there isn't a lot to it - it sets excellent scenes but doesn't go very deeply i
Nenya
Jul 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt
This was okay, though it didn't rock my world. I think I expected the narrator to be, herself, a redhead, rather than being into redheaded women. (She does dye her hair at various points, which worked, but I'd incorrectly assumed she had hair like me all along based on the title.

The parts of the story about her figuring out she was into women, and her relationship with her parents, worked for me a lot more than the magic and witches, which aren't an experience I share. The plot was less a plot
« previous 1 3 next »

• Make Yourself Happy
  • Museum of Mistakes: The Fart Party Collection
  • Sunburning
  • Pregnant Butch: Nine Long Months Spent in Drag
  • Dar: A Super Girly Top Secret Comic Diary, Volume One (Dar!, #1)
  • Beyond: the Queer Sci-Fi & Fantasy Comic Anthology
  • Stuck in the Middle: 17 Comics from an Unpleasant Age
  • Luisa: Ici et là
  • How the World Was: A California Childhood
  • On Loving Women
  • We Are On Our Own
  • The Other Side of the Wall
  • The Abominable Mr. Seabrook
Meags Fitzgerald is a Montreal-based artist and an award winning illustrator, graphic novelist and animator. Her talents also include improv comedy and live storytelling. Fitzgerald is the author and illustrator of the non-fiction graphic novel, Photobooth: A Biography (spring 2014) and the graphic memoir, Long Red Hair (fall 2015), both published by Conundrum Press.

When she's not drawing or perfo