Start by marking “Mae” as Want to Read:
Mae

Mae

(Mae #OGN)

When her long lost sister returns, Mae Foretell gets pulled into her world of wonders and peril. After her sister disappeared without a trace 8 years ago, Mae was left to care for her ailing father. She went to school and continued on with life. On the fateful day that Abbie returns, she reveals fantastic tales filled with adventure. These stories are hard to believe - unt ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 71 pages
Published 2015

To ask other readers questions about Mae, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mae

Start your review of Mae
David Schaafsma
Okay children/tween graphic novel, with very colorful art and large cats which make it look like this story is for younger audiences. The focus is on Abbie, who long ago left through a portal to fight monsters in other worlds, and is now returned to team with Mae to fight monsters. I think the story is just okay, and the characterization is just okay. And the art feels brightly lit and stylized and a little too cartoony for me, but it may really appeal to kids. There’s a quiet, sweet sensibility ...more
Melliane
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5/5

Mon avis en Français

My English review

When I saw the synopsis of this new comic book, I admit that I was intrigued. A mix of monsters? Parallel universes? How to resist that?

We discover Mae, a young woman who lives her life quietly and helps her sick father until her sister appears after 7 years of absence. She did not know what had happened to her, no news, so it’s a surprise to see her again. It’s even more incomprehensible when she says that she was in another world. But can Mae believe
Miranda
Received a copy via netgalley for review.
Solid 4.5 star rating

Finally got around to reading a comic it’s been awhile which I always love these due to time consuming reads I don’t always have the time for. Comics I’ve always loved how they can be a quick read but you get awesome imagery with them.
I didn’t know about this one and how it’s a few years old it was kicked off on Kickstarter which I’m learning lots of amaze balls things come from kickstarter these days.

Loved this! It was so quirky, t
Stanley
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I first heard about this one while wandering the isles of C2E2 earlier this year. Gene Ha was Kickstarting the book and after a cursory look, I was in.

The book had a pretty quick turnaround from campaign to delivery and what I recieved made me very happy. Along with the hardback GN, I got some prints and stickers.

I was able to read this one front to back one afternoon in the park and was glad I did.

The story is pretty simple so far, but allot of fun. There is an Alice in Wonderland / Wizard of O
Susan Gualtier
I was so excited to read this because I'd heard such great things following the Kickstarter campaign! I really enjoyed both the story and the artwork. It's billed as a graphic novel, but is really only the prelude to a much larger story that I hope will have the opportunity to continue.

As a side note, I bought my copy directly from Gene Ha at a convention, and it was the highlight of my day. He seems like a genuinely awesome person, supportive of librarians (my chosen profession), and I have hea
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Overall a ho-hum fantasy. Nothing special here.
Kate
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
OCD with copyrights, epic fantasy cat people, and there are some Doctor Who references too! A great premise to a fantasy comic involving portals. I loved the interactions between Mae and here friend, Dahlia. And then later how she deals with her free-spirited sister who has returned after years away. She takes a lot in stride with all the monsters coming out of the woodwork. I really wonder what will occur with Colt and Dahlia left behind, now that there the sisters have a mission on their hands ...more
The Sapphic Nerd
I received the hardcover as a reward for backing the Kickstarter project. I'm not familiar with Gene Ha, but the concept of Mae sounded interesting and the art looked pretty, so I took a chance on it.

Mae isn't bad by any means. The writing is okay and the art is generally quite nice (although sometimes it can look a bit weird). I didn't fall in love, but I don't dislike it either. It's a decent introduction to a series that could turn out to be good in the future. Right now, I wouldn't recommend
Hannah
I requested this because I like reading books that have a sister dynamic in them. Mae was an interesting Graphic Novel. In terms of the plot... I thought it was interesting but there were plot holes. Not only that but the art style wasn’t what I expected and I don’t think it flows well with the story. Even with that being said, I will definitely read the 2nd vol because I want to see what happens!

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Sara Thompson
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't really like this one. I really wanted to and I can't even explain why I didn't.

The artwork is bright and colorful. I loved that the characters were varied and interesting. I didn't like that most of them had complicated names - it disrupts the flow. A few are okay but almost every character becomes laborious.
Nothing wrong with the plot except that I didn't connect to it nor did I connect to the main characters. There's very little character development - I know nothing about them and w
Caroline
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
This one ended just as it got started. It was a quick read, and I'd still be interested to read the next one, but it the story happened so fast and then was over, I'm having a hard time deciding if I really like it or not.
LeAnn
Really loved the geeky references/jokes and the strong female lead characters. The art was hit and miss for me. Some scenes were just odd and amateur looking, and then other scenes were beautiful and intricate.
Lori
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this graphic novel! The artwork is beautiful, and the storyline is intriguing. I also enjoy the pop culture/geek references and banter. I highly recommend this book for YA and adults!!!
Ricki
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Loved a lot about this. Beautiful illustrations, intriguing world building. But the author is leaving out too much. I needed more.
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
The good: geeky references and jokes, strong female leads, positive relationships, pretty art, and overall I enjoyed the fantasy land/story (kinda DnD/WoW type of thing).

The bad: clunky story flow, super overt plot and characters, overdramatic reactions for no reason at times (like an immature teen). Even though I had more positives, these are glaring flaws that you're constantly reminded of while reading.
Mikey The High School Librarian
A kickstarter marvel that’s about to take flight Lionforce. Reading these first six comics really set up a kind of Alice in Wonderland / Wizard of Oz feel but with a modern mild Silent Hill feel. The first six issues covers a lot of backstory but the new comic should bring Mae into the world her sister has been fighting to save on the other side of the dimensional door. Can’t wait to read more!
Logan
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books, fantasy
Mae was a book I wanted to like. As a Kickstarter backer, I was quite invested in this book. Perhaps that's why I'm a bit sour. It's hard knowing that you put money into something only for it to turn out mediocre.

That's not to say there wasn't a kernel of a good idea. A young girl disappears to a magic world, then reappears to her long lost family years later. I like it, I really do. To Gene Ha's credit, the emotional turmoil of Mae comes across fairly well, even through stilted dialogue. And th
J.
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Genre prejudices exist. I have had discussions with people who have issues with "portal fiction" as Gene Ha would label it. The most recent discussion I've had about the concept was regarding Lev Grossman's the MAGICIANS but the crux of it all is that some people find the genre in and of itself to be a bit rote and that in the hands of a lazy writer nothing inventive can come of it.

Gene Ha is not a lazy writer.

MAE is a book that embraces the conventions and tropes of the portal fiction genre and
Ed
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was a Kickstarter backer, so I wanted to like this more than I actually did. Story-wise, it feels like a good first issue. I guess I was expecting more of a standalone story, but I can't really criticize it for that. In this "first issue" Ha sketches good characters and sets up a lot of ideas that will be fun to see him explore. He also has some very interesting and stylish character design.

However, I just did not enjoy the art. Ha's layouts and panel-work are very good. But the digital colori
Kelli
Jun 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: single-issue
Mae has an intriguing concept, but the portal trope can feel stale so my fingers are crossed this one doesn't end up that way. Abbie and her friend Dahlia are pretty average young women when suddenly Abbie's long-missing sister Mae returns, thrusting them all into trouble. She was apparently a queen in another world and is clearly a bit of a warrior as well. Abbie doesn't believe her until a cat thug appears.

The story isn't anything super fresh, but it's interesting enough. However the art real
Alex
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
While I enjoyed the story, I really wasn't a fan of the art style in this book. Though the process description at the end of the volume shows otherwise, I just couldn't shake the feeling that the characters, up close, looked like low-poly Poser models overly lit by invisible sources and then sketched around the edges for a cel-shading effect. I like Gene's art in the companion volume that came with this on Kickstarter a good deal more, though I'd still be interested to read further to see where ...more
Kelly
I just received my Kickstarter version of this graphic novel today ( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/... ). It's a gorgeous hardcover book, with a different cover illustration, featuring the two sisters. I love the art and use of colors and plot. This volume pretty much sets up the story, can't wait to see where it goes next :) ...more
Andy  Haigh
Nov 24, 2015 rated it liked it
The result of an incredibly successful kickstarter campaign Gene Ha's Mae works pretty well as the first instalment of a potentially sprawling modern day fantasy style story. The story sets up numerous elements which could be explored at length, the main problem facing readers is not knowing when or if they will see it happen.

Carmelo Chimera
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Gene Ha turns out to be as talented a writer as he is an artist. "Mae" is visually stunning, and the story is fast paced and engaging. Mae features believable characters that open the door to an unbelievable world. "Mae" only begins to scratch the surface of Ha's incredible fantasy world, and it's got me hooked for the upcoming ongoing series.
Dan
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. And made by someone I know. I really want the next book. Its so good. I can't wait until the next book and to read it. I think that the plot is super good and the drawings were good to. I recommend this book to people that like fantasy and action. READ THIS BOOK!!!!!!!
Cat Tobin
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Cracking start to the story of Mae, who's coming to terms with her runaway sister's return. Fast-pased, with luscious visuals and characters just starting to come into their own, I'm only sorry it wasn't longer.
Natalie
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic blend of storytelling and art. This first volume sets up the story. Now I have to wait until the next volume to find out what happens.
Gwynn
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful artwork and great angle shots!
Jesse Richards
This was ok, but somewhat cliche. And the artwork is impressive but a bit too far in the uncanny valley for me.

• Bury the Lede
  • Mera: Tidebreaker
  • Firefly: The Unification War  Vol. 1
  • Heathen Volume 1 (Heathen, #1)
  • They Called Us Enemy
  • Blackbird, Vol. 1
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • The Magic Order, Vol. 1
  • This Was Our Pact
  • Ether, Vol. 1: Death of the Last Golden Blaze
  • Girl Town
  • Cheshire Crossing
  • Resident Alien Volume 1: Welcome to Earth!

Mae (3 books)