Start by marking “Acne, Asthma, And Other Signs You Might Be Half Dragon” as Want to Read:
Acne, Asthma, And Other Signs You Might Be Half Dragon

Acne, Asthma, And Other Signs You Might Be Half Dragon

Allyson fights acne, not trolls. As an inhaler-carrying member of the asthma society, she just wants to meet the father who turned her mother into a paranoid, move-across-the-nation freak. Now she’s trying to fit in at yet another school, but for the first time in her life, she has a best friend, Beth. When Allyson accidentally spits fire at kidnappers in the mall, she rea ...more
Published November 23rd 2015 by Curiosity Quills Press

Sandy I agree. This was a fun read. I look forward to more adventures with these guys.

Category: A Book About a Road Trip (well, I am using the term "road trip" loosely here. This is more a book about an adventure which requires fleeing and chasing.)

3 imperfect-heroine Stars

Fifteen year old Allyson has acne, asthma and an absentee father. She has been carted all over by her loving mother, only staying in one place for a few months at a time. When her and a friend get attacked at the mall, she discovers that all is not quite as it seems. You see their means of escape?! Flames…. Fla
Bee
Istyria book blog ~ A World of Enchanted Books

DNF at 12%

I promised myself a while ago to not DNF books that much anymore because negative reviews are just part of the life of a book blogger. (That and they can be kind of fun...) But I can't continue this book. I don't want to read it anymore and I don't want to spend my time on it while I could be reading something else, something better. But I have a list of reasons! And none of these are spoilers since it's all in the first two chapters. SIGH.
Tracy
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I was first attracted Acne, Asthma and OtherSigns You Might be a Half Dragon by the lovely cover; the title then “sealed the deal” for me. I was looking for some light fun reading and hoped that based on the title I’d get that and hopefully some sassy, quirky one-liners as well.

Rochford’s book did provide all that – it was fun and a bit sassy, though there were parts that I felt needed to be fleshed out a little more.

The protagonist of Rochford’s novel, Allyson, has never known her father and he
Bailey Skye
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

3.5/5

If you're anything like me, when you read the description of this book, you went "woah, wait, what?!" I picked up this book for two reasons. One, dragons. Two, I just had to know more.

Allyson is your typical teenager. She's dealing with the struggle of trying to find out where she fits in, and lets not even get into the awful acne that plagues her on the daily. On top of it all, her Mom is moving them around the country every f
N.N. Light
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love that title and it instantly drew me to read this book. Life is tough for any teenager but when Allyson breaths fire on some kidnappers in the mall, life just got a lot more complicated. Turns out, there's a lot more underground supernatural beings than Allyson. When her best friend, Beth, gets blamed for a unicorn kidnapping, Allyson sets out to prove Beth's innocence. I loved this book so much! It has everything I love in a YA paranormal. Allyson, while a little geeky as a teen, is super ...more
Alexis Drake
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, english-books
3,5/5

Acne, Asthma (lo abbrevio per comodità) è un urban fantasy che ci presenta Allyson Takata, padre giapponese madre americana, affetta da uno dei casi più difficili di acne giovanile, tanto da spendere un sacco di soldi per fondotinta teatrali per cercare di mascherare il problema. Inoltre sua madre si trasferisce di continuo, quindi non ha amici, non conosce suo padre, e soffre di asma.
Finalmente nella scuola che frequenta è riuscita a farsi un’amica, Beth, che abita vicino a lei.
Ma quando l
rachel
With its quirky title and gorgeous cover, I expected this story to be more magical and adventurous . I did like the premise - a hidden society of shapeshifting dragons, unicorns, gryphons and more are in turmoil - but its execution left a lot to be desired. The plot and pacing were a little too haphazard for my taste. The beginning really left a sour taste in my mouth. which is honestly the most likely reason why I could just not get into this story.

I can only suspend my disbelief so far in boo
MsArdychan
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I saw Acne, Asthma, and Other Signs You Might be Half-Dragon by Rena Rocford on NetGalley, I immediately fell in love with the cover and title. Dragons? Acne? This looked like a fun book. On a hunch, I put in my request and it was luckily granted. My instinct paid off as it was a very fun read.

I enjoyed the friendship between Allyson and Beth. Both are outcasts and when Allyson moves to Albuquerque, they quickly become friends. Beth turns out to be half Troll, so when Allyson turns fifteen
Michelle Hauck
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Put the fun back in fantasy!

I found this book with the long title a really fast read. The quick pace and constant activity of the plot just kept me turning pages. Allyson was a character I could get behind and her relationship with her best friend Beth reminded me of my own best friend from that age. It also appealed to me that that the boys in the story added a nice touch of romance without becoming the sole focus of the story.

So Allyson finds out she is a half dragon when she's attacked by tr
Annie (Diverse Reads)

• MC (Allyson) is biracial (Irish-Japanese).

However, multiple comments about the character's race throughout the story were, at the very least, distasteful. For example:

I was like a reject from a geisha convention. My hair was too straight and black for my Irish heritage of my mother, and my eyes were too green for my father's Japanese heritage. I was in the middle. Half. Mutt.

If any POCs have read this and have a statement about this book's representation, please feel free to contact me.
Vesper Dreams

When I found this on NetGalley, I immediately fell in love with the title, the cover, and the synopsis of the story. I remember reading somewhere that books with long titles are usually a huge "if" when it comes to readers choosing their next book, but, this title proves that's only so if it's not as compelling as Acne, Asthma, and Other Signs You Might Be Half Dragon. I was really excited to start reading this book because it had a character you would see in everyday life; she wasn't some insa
Jane
Currently (14.02.2016) free on Amazon Kindle.

EDIT after finishing the book. Actual rating 1.5 stars.

This book was on a Kindle freebie deal a few days ago and since it had an intriguing title and a pretty decent blurb, I decided to give it a shot. Now, that I've finished it, I have only one question for myself... Why do I do this to myself??? I'm beginning to lose faith in Kindle freebies, especially when you are under the impression that you got access to a standalone novel and discover that it'
Richard
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of silliness and romps, I enjoyed this one from the beginning. The narrator is high-energy, flippant, and breezy. A few pages into the book, this "ordinary" teen Allyson accidentally breathes fire, leading to the revelation that she's half dragon. Too bad Allyson's Mom never had The Talk with her -- all she got was the "use a condom" part but nothing about blue scales and molting... But she takes it all in stride, to some extent. We soon find out her lanky friend Beth is half troll... a ...more
Dragana
This book attracted me right away.
+ Beautiful cover.
+ Quirky title.
+ Dragons!
+ The summary reminded me of Going Down in Flames.

Why Acne, Asthma, And Other Signs You Might Be Half Dragon didn't work out for me? I can't pinpoint the reasonable explanation. Sure, the complaining about acne and zits was annoying but it was not reason enough to give up on the book.
There were different kinds of paranormal creatures, mystery unfolding and I could not care less. Maybe I am finally getting too old for yo
Montzalee Wittmann
Acne, Asthma, and Other Signs You Might Be Half Dragon by Rena Rocford is such a great fantasy book I had to stay up all night to finish. It has a wonderful cast of creatures such as trolls, unicorns, griffins, dragons, goblins and more. A fun ride across the road with Allyson and Beth as they try to prove the innocence of Beth in a kidnapping. Meanwhile, everyone, creatures too, are after them. Allyson is also changing into a dragon, her best friend has secrets of her own, and more. It is a ho ...more
Phillipa
This is a great light-read which, I must admit, only landed on my shelves because of it's superb title. If it were a series, I'd be adding the next one to my list!
Janis Hill
I would like to thank Curiosity Quills Press for a free ARC of this book in exchange for an open and honest review.

Move over Ms MacAlister and her Wyverns – there’s a new type of dragon in town! Well, half-dragon… and not just one town, a few towns… and other places.

I loved this book! Being a huge fan of Urban Fantasy and world’s within our own that have a good dash of reality, a large sprinkle of humour and a dollop of sarcasm – how could I NOT love this book?

And thank goodness for a book that
Magda
Good, fast-paced urban fantasy that you should check out right now. It has great characters, a little bit of humor and lots of adventure.

Allyson is not your average teenager, even if she doesn't know it all yet. She lives with her mother, who makes her move all over the country every few months. It seems Allyson had finally found a friend at school - Beth. Everything seems to be going just fine. And then the weird things happen...

It all starts at the mall, the girls are minding their own busines
Jossie Marie Solheim
This one left me stumped. It's rare I give a low star rating, but I really had no choice here.

First off "Unicorns are Jerks?!?" So not true unicorns are awesome, beautiful creatures. That irked me, really badly.

Secondly where's the lead in. It feels like the author had all these ideas chucked them on the page and went "Yep that'll do for a first chapter." No, sorry just no.

I don't know who this character is, I have no emotions about her yet and then you throw all these half and half people at m
Hannah L (Reviewer)
description
In a world of magic and mythical creatures, Acne, Asthma and other signs you might be half dragon, Allyson is not going through puberty as she believes, but is actually turning into a dragon. This newly discovered magical legacy opens the doors to a world of trolls, griffons, unicorns and magic wielders. In this world her best friend, Beth, is falsely accused of killing a unicorn boy and they are sent on the run to prove her innocence.
I found this story, surprisingly, boring. It was a long re
Cinthia
Scott Kinkade
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Acne, Asthma, And Other Signs You Might Be Half Dragon is a delightful story. It's refreshing to find a protagonist who isn't (at first glance) attractive. Allyson has to deal with both asthma and acne to find her inner strength and beauty. Beth is also a strong female character who can handle herself in a fight. I also like how the Kin are handled; they're all impressively strong and there aren't (as far as I can tell) any weak ones.

I strongly recommend this book if you're a fan of fantasy. Thi
Jan farnworth
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first thing that caught me on this book was the cover just love that cover, then the title intrigued me and i was not holding high expectations but i was completely taken by surprise. From page on all the way to end i was held in rapt attention as i watched Allyson learn all about her dragon part of herself and i love how it does not let up on the action and you really want to see how it all going to play and their even hints of more to come.
Miriam Joy
This was a NetGalley read, so there'll be a full review on my blog soon. In the meantime I'll say that this is the kind of book I think I would have loved when I was twelve and obsessed with dragons. Reading it now, I found some of it difficult to believe -- not the dragon stuff, but the idea of a fifteen-year-old driving halfway across America, for example. The plot was complex, and mostly engaging although it lost me in a few places.
Elizabeth

This story filled a void in my imagination. A world filled with the he fairy tales sitting right under our noses, until the powers from the other half start to manifest. I really enjoyed this novel. The drama was kept to a minimum and the adventure took up residence in my brain making time fly by with out comprehending the length of time that the story had held the focus. I would welcome the chance to read the next novel.
J. Dorner
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to J. by: Jamie Dorner
What a fantastic story. I enjoyed reading this book. The characters are well developed and interesting. There were parts of the story that I wish had been developed more and expanded upon. Hopefully there’s a follow-up book.

(Borrowed this book from a friend.)
Bill Tillman
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You Might Half Dragon

In less than a week you must become an adult, save all your new friends and kill your dad. Well that makes a thrilling book, not just a page Turner but a page burner!
Heather
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Acne, Asthma, And Other Signs You Might Be Half Dragon. It was full of action. It was fun to watch as Allyson learned what it means to be half dragon and to discover what she can do. The writing was good and the book is edited well. I highly recommend reading it!
Cheryl Evans
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another teen with supernatural powers - but this one was fun. Dragons, trolls, gryphons - a whole new set of "kin" among us. I thought the main characters were compelling.
Ilonita50
I love the cover! So, so beautiful!
This e-book was sitting on my TBR shelf on my e-reader for more than a year, it's a fast read and by all means I would have loved to give all the initial thoughts of the book, but by reaching 30% of the book the plot from so much of uniqueness and individuality and potential just went straight to a regular High School novel, which was ok, nothing outstanding, that's for me, maybe not for you and you will enjoy...

The plot takes a reader to know more about secre
  • Corrigan Lust (Corrigan, #5)
  • Emma and the Banderwigh (Tales of Widowswood, #1)
  • Demon Heart (Darkworld, #3)
  • Lucky Number Six (The Fortune Cookies Chronicles #1)
  • Dziewiąty Mag (Dziewiąty Mag, #1)
  • The Heartless City (The Gold and Gaslight Chronicles #1)
  • Poet Anderson: The Dream Walker
  • Touched with Sight (Shadow Thane, #2)
  • Sword of Lies
  • Oddly Normal, Book 1
  • Mark of the Dragon Queen
  • The 13th Sign
  • Darkness Rising (Legends of Marithia, #2)
  • Discern (Mosaic Chronicles, #1)
  • Once In A Lifetime (FairyTale Boxed Set)
  • A Murder of Mages (The Maradaine Constabulary, #1)
  • Rua (Rua, #1)
  • Éire's Captive Moon (Éire's Viking, #1)