Start by marking “Letters From Medea” as Want to Read:
Letters From Medea

Letters From Medea

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  198 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
A collection of poems that reincarnates one of the most wicked women in classical literature into the modern day. It is a collection that celebrates and understands girlhood, loss, and love. These are Medea's letters to the modern girl.
Published October 17th 2015

Neil (or bleed)
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh, I loved this one. It's intense. Fierce. Hurting.
Jessica Gadziala
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
the center of every poem is this: i have loved you. i have had to deal with that.

I freaking loved this. I swear I have half the book highlighted
Tann Medi
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Es bastante raro !
Hubo algunas partes que me confundieron demasiado, pero cabe destacar que tiene muchas citas que me agradaron
Aquí les dejo algunas:
-"Because you’ve never known misery. you’ve never wanted to rip the heart right out of you–or tear the skin off your back and swallow it down. in your dream, you are jealous of tragedies. and the truth is, we all want our own tragedy, because life is pale without it. we want the teeth, the screaming, the survival that comes with it."

-I am writing t
Elena ( The Queen Reads )
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
nobody wants a girl who wears death like perfume or has blood on her breath.
run from those who claim they do.
danger has never been splendor.
charlie shaw
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"the leaves eve used to cover her modesty are the / same leaves artemis burned"
"in your dream, achilles comes for you / with the rage of every fury in tartarus / because you sent your love to war / and he came back unharmed"
"we all want our own tragedy"
"we want the teeth, the screaming, the survival"
"i did not suffer from love / i suffered with it"
"woman is this-enduring"
"but there is no god listening to them / because they broke the windows / and god is focusing on the repairs"
"i am writing to
Alex
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Salma Deera's Letters to Medea bravely confronts centuries of patriarchy by reincarnating "one of the most wicked women in classical literature." She calls many of the women from Greek mythology and Biblical literature to her side, giving modern-day advice to girls on self-love, endurance, and heartache. Salma's words ready you for war. They flirt with the border between sin and prayer, lust and love, body and soul. Her book is ultimately an ode to love—old love, new love, forgotten love, and br ...more
Lily
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastically confident poems. You have a really wonderful way of connecting with the classics through your poetry. Can't wait to see what you get up to next, Salma!
Cecilie K.
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Taking from classic greek myths and biblical women Salma has written a poetry collection that I did not put down until I had read through it twice.

"My darling girls, forget your fathers.
you have no time to repent for their sins.
You have your own to pay for."

From mythical and biblical women to the modern girl, this is about finding your own heart in all the stories. How Helen of Troy has them all on their knees, how Eve was betrayed, and the modern woman is full of love and war.

Mostly this book w
Shay
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
"listen girl, you will survive this-you will.
but what fool said you had to do it silently?
here is a tip=scream"
Samantha
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me goosebumps.

I can’t even put into words, what I was expecting this book to be, but let me tell what I got was AMAZING.

Salma Deera is an amazing poet, who put so much emotion into each and every poem in this book, pages that have only a handful of words were able to leave goosebumps on my skin.

I just can’t. This book is about Medea, Cassandra, Eve, Helen, and just women in general.

These poems are relatable, and relevant. Honestly I’m in love, and I’m glad I took my sweet damn
Connie
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars

I really enjoyed some of these poems, especially those that were centred completely around the goddesses. One of the stanzas about Artemis stood out to me in particular. However overall this collection didn't blow me away, unfortunately.
Cornelia Gordon
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Usually I struggle with poetry collections, but I tore through this one. Highly recommend if you're interested in the themes mentioned in the book description.
Mona Lisa (ForestGreenReader)
Not exactly what I expected. I wasn't particularly moved by anything written.
Constance Cross
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Her words and her merging of mythology with the modern era just pulls at my heart strings
no-one you know
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
somewhat good.
xonoone
Shona
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This is one of those books full of poems that are made of beautiful metaphors. This collection is full of anger and fire for women, by women's voices - not just Medea, but Helen of Troy, Khadijah, Hera, Eve. Some of them, perhaps, are a little overwrought, but I finished this collection feeling validated in my anger. This is a book of poems for dangerous women and it starts with "now wave goodbye to the fatherland / it is time to name your country" in the eve of artemis and it is a great decisio ...more
Morgan Nikola-Wren
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a surprise wonder! It came up under the "Suggested for You" section of Amazon, and, as someone who devours any and all poetry, I clicked on it. Letters from Medea gave me SO much more than I bargained for. The concept alone (love declarations from an infamous female character in mythology) was original and clever. And the words were pure, melt-in-your-mouth fantastic.

Loved it so much, I immediately bought "May All Your Wounds Be Mortal."

Thank you, Salma Deera! Cannot wait to
Adele
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This collection is about love and how mythology and religion has tried to control women's love. Combined with beautiful writing and modern metaphors and humour (will the real Helen of troy please stand up). This has been one of my favourite poetry collections that I've read.
Yu Fang
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's a compelling series of poems, bound by the common theme of ' girlhood'. It deals with sexism, love, and, most importantly, becoming stronger. Lovely in its poetic representations, though I wish it's available across more online bookstores.
Tahmina Begum
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A clever set of poetry, one which is rare. If you like Greek mythology, famous literary characters through time but set as if they were all in one with a sprinkle of love this is it.
Rachel
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful

A beautiful collection of poems, all tied together with the story of Medea. Medea is one of my favorite figures in Greek mythology. These poems more than do her justice.
Caitlin Conlon
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was so, this ripped into me. It was painful in a good kind of way. This collection could make anybody feel like a masochist.

4.5 stars.
Bäumchen
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Schön traurig, schön verloren, schön pro-mädchen, und pro-Emotionalität. I like :)
chloe
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
"in astronomy class, the muse urania angrily watches a panel of men talk about the wonders of the stars as though they created them."
Emily Jamar
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016challenge
4.5! I want to give it 5 but there was a time in the middle that just didn't sync with the rest of the book and how amazing it is. If I could get over that it'd be a 5.
Jyro Raymundo
Jul 25, 2017
Courtney
Dec 30, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Poetry Readers Ch...: Letters from Medea by Salma Deera 7 12 Feb 28, 2017 12:14AM
  • Howling at the Moon
  • Oracle: Poems
  • Faithful and Virtuous Night
  • This Is How We Find Each Other
“you will rise.
and are you less of a woman for this? no
what is woman?
woman is this—enduring.
listen girl, you will survive this–you will.
but what fool said you had to do it silently?
here is a tip—scream”
17 likes
“the centre of every poem is this:
i have loved you. i have had to deal with that.”
10 likes