Start by marking “Erkenntnisse aus Ruinen (Star Trek: The Fall, #1)” as Want to Read:
Erkenntnisse aus Ruinen (Star Trek: The Fall, #1)

Erkenntnisse aus Ruinen

(Star Trek: Typhon Pact)

Die Serien THE NEXT GENERATION, TITAN und DEEP SPACE NINE vereint!

Nach der Zerstörung der ursprünglichen Raumstation DS9 baute die Sternenflotte eine größere, fortschrittlichere Sternenbasis im bajoranischen System. Jetzt möchte Captain Ro Laren eine imposante Einweihungszeremonie mit verschiedenen Würdenträgern abhalten. Unter den Gästen befinden sich auch Vertreter rival
Published September 30th 2015 by Cross Cult (first published September 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Erkenntnisse aus Ruinen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Erkenntnisse aus Ruinen

Start your review of Erkenntnisse aus Ruinen (Star Trek: The Fall, #1)
Alejandro
This is the first novel of a 5-part event of Star Trek titled "The Fall". Pocket Books plans to publish each book, one per month in the extent of 5 months. Each novel will cover the accountings of a week (time story). The event will use the characters of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" combining them in one big event. So far, this first novel used the characters of DS9 and already know due news that the second novel will focus on TNG characters. I guess that in ...more
John Carter McKnight
Aug 29, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I'd been looking forward to this book all summer: the launch of a new DS9-centered multivolume story is about as exciting as it gets. Unfortunately, this book got tossed on the return pile 100 pages in.

Nothing happens. Literally the entire first 100pp amounts to, the Cardassian head of state is called home to deal with an uprising in advance of a summit meeting, and the Federation President wants to speak to Odo for reasons unknown.

The rest is an exercise in needless backstory, appalling repet
Brian
Jul 18, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I could vote for something worse than 1-star, I would do it.

A horrible waste of time and dead trees. If this was an episode of a Trek television show, it would have been a "clip show". You know, the ones that recycle footage from previous episodes to make up the majority of the content. Often this comes in the form of flashbacks, "remember when". Usually this is to save on a season's production budget. Wonder what the excuse was for this novel.

Well, that's what most of this book was. Remember
Michael Blackmore
Sep 21, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Let's just pretend I didn't spend time reading this. Since the Typhon Pact arc started in the new Star Trek novels, the books have just felt off, but still I kept reading.

I think this is the one that convinced me to just give up. The whole series of current books in this pack seem to be ham handed political/spy stuff with little of what make ST actually fun. In doses that is fine, but that is all there in the series nowadays it seems.

The worst part is the extensive flashbacks throughout often t
Crystal Bensley
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great start to the Fall series- can't wait to see where it goes!
Abhinav
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-read
The full review can be found on my blog:

If I remember correctly, the last Star Trek novel I read, prior to James Swallow’s quite good Cast No Shadow last year in June, was some time in 2004 and it was one where the author focused on Spock and his relationship to a niece or some such character who was coming of age quite soon and was intended to be married off soon after in a bit of family politics. So its been a long time, to be generous. Cast No Shadow re
Jenny
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, fiction, tv
Oh boy. David R. George is one of my favourite Trek authors, but not even he could rescue this gong show of a placeholder premise. It's not his fault! It's not his fault that the DS9 storyline fell years behind in continuity from the rest of the TrekLit universe. It's not his fault that the economic downturn resulted in the firing of visionary editors like Marco Palmieri who spearheaded amazing arcs and it's not his fault that Pocket publishes so many fewer books than it used to.

So DRG has to sp
David
Oct 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
As with most David R. George III books, this was really hit and miss. George likes long, evocative description and character introspection, often to the point where the book drags to a halt and then needs some big event to get going again.

You get a huge amount of description of the new Deep Space Nine, a lot of characters thinking about what's happened the last two years, and a glacial pace that suddenly bursts into the big event of the novel about 60-65% of the way into the book.

And it ends wit
Daniel Kukwa
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
A "Star Trek" novel so compelling and adrenaline pumping that I finished it in the span of two hours and refused to put it down? Of course I'm giving it five stars! Alternating between feeling like I've experienced a magnificent new dawn for DS9, and stomach-churning astonishment at an event that turns an entire quadrant upside down, this was utterly magnificent storytelling, on the grandest scale imaginable. If the next four novels in the sequence are even half as good as this opening installme ...more
Aaron Mcquiston
The first half of this novel was boring and slow. I really had a difficult time getting through the first 100 pages, with all of the background and whatnot that was to set up this series. The final two thirds told the story of political tensions and strife. The narrative seemed to pick up a bit, and I was able to zip through the second half fairly quickly. As a whole, this seems like a great big set up for whatever is coming in the next four books. I am excited to be through this one and ready t ...more
Robert
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yet another book that spends over a hundred pages spinning the wheels before the story begins, then ends on what should be the turning point of a complete novel. It's a current genre publishing convention I've come to despise.

I didn't dislike the story itself. There just isn't much story there, it's slow, and it's incomplete. I'm not sure I'll be reading the four follow-up novels. If they're all paced like this one, I'll read the last few chapters in books 2, 3, and 4 then read book five.
Raechel
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dry. More than half the book is setting up the narrative. The rising action doesnt actually rise-- every twist is expected and unoriginal.
To me, I felt like the characters were betrayed. They did not seem like themselves-- they all felt generic and boring.
I'm very dissapointed.
Christopher
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Revelation and Space sees Captain Ro, Quark, Kassidy, Sisko and gang preparing for the grand unveiling of the new Deep Space Nine! :D Coming to the Station are a collection of dignitaries including the Romulan Praetor and Federation President Nanietta Bacco! :D Revelation and Space gives a great opportunity for the characters to all catch up with each other, as well as introduce new ones that may not be familiar with! :D The book is full of character moments from the start the will give you lump ...more
Sud666
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
It has been awhile since I've had a chance to explore the Star Trek DS-9 series. Apparently much has happened. The old Cardassian-built DS-9 has been destroyed. Starfleet has built an all new DS-9.

This book deals with the opening ceremony of the Space Station. Many of our old friends have returned (from Captain Sisko to Odo) and many powerful heads of governments (from the Federation to the Klingons) have sent their heads of state. This part of the story was good. It was nice to be filled in wi
Christopher Lutz
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen

(camera pans from starfield to new station)

Imagine a Star Wars opening crawl expanded to 400 pages. David R. George must have had to take a bullet from the team here, as Revelation and Dust is largely recap and introduction, bringing the Niner gang back together on the new station and set the stage for someone to get shot while at its center. George has done great DS9 work before, so I choose to believe he was editorially constrained in this book to focus on backstory for people who haven't been
Scott Williams
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was quite entertaining. I don’t personally care that much for the direction that some of the characters have been taken in these post-Nemesis novels but, once one accepts them, one can be entertained by these stories. There are some big political events that take place in this novel. There’s also some great stuff for fans of the Bajoran prophets. My favourite part was beginning to explore the new DS9 and imagining what the new station would look like on screen.
Maggie
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this one! As I said in previous comments, I liked the A plot more than the B one, but they were both good. Fans of DS9 will really enjoy it. The political stuff was intriguing; it's a nice change from lots of technobabble. The descriptions of the new DS9 were top notch, and made me want to live there. A solid start to what looks like a great book series!
omiczech
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fred
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-science
It has been a long time since I read any Star Trek novels, and unfortunately, this just felt stale. Probably because it focuses on DS9, my least favorite of the series. The resolution it provided for some plot lines were nice, but I felt I had made a big mistake coming in after about a decade of not reading star trek. Probably a better read in context.
Teresa Cage
Great Story

Really an interesting story that I’m excited to see how it plays out. However, it was a bit slow in places, and there are transitions between character stories that are jarring and difficult to understand. Those transitions in particular are disruptive to the flow of action within the story. Still it’s worth the time to read, and an important moment in DS9 history.
Preston Pendergraft
The book starts off very slow. Lots of setup. But the last 1/3 or so is very good. I am giving it 3 stars mostly for the last 1/3. I found the flashback portions to the past on Bajor very uninteresting. Overall a decent book, and probably a good intro The Fall series.
Joe
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
The assassination of President Bacco was only somewhat interesting for me. I did, however, really enjoy the character development of Sisko and Bashir.
Sonja
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story

I haven't seen the entire series of DS9, however I enjoyed this story. I recognized many people and places. I will definitely finish the series.
Lorenzo
like visiting old friends, could see this as a TV show.
Anja
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Oh my, what a tedious read!
The book starts with a chapter in which nothing really happens. I've never been a fan of Kira Nerys nor the prophets and have always found the scenes with the prophets quite tedious. But to be forced to read a scene with the typical prophet jumping between locations and incorporating different characters... Aaaargh,I just wanted to scream!
Since I wanted to know what happens to new DS9, I simply skipped the remainder of the first chapter and started with the next one, w
Jeremy
There were some parts of this book I enjoyed and others that I struggled with- mostly the Kira/prophets arc. There was some solid action but it felt slow at times as well.
Alex
Most satisfying. I really enjoyed it.
Paul Griggs
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s rare to have a book deliver such a gut punch reaction. Sadly found a retread of Kira being sent through time to live another life on Bajor a bit dull, but more than made up for elsewhere.
Paul Lunger
The initial book in the "Star Trek: The Fall" series, David R. George III's "Revelation in Dust" starts off 2 years after the destruction of the original DS9 & jumps about a year into the future from our last Typhon Pact novel. In this installment, dignitaries from around the quadrant especially of the Khitomer Accords have gathered at the new DS9 for it's dedication ceremony conducted by Captain Ro Laren. It is during this peaceful dedication ceremony (which also includes a memorial service to ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Suggested edits for "Revelation and Dust" 3 34 Sep 11, 2013 01:29PM

• Disavowed (Star Trek: Section 31)
  • The Missing
  • Lust's Latinum Lost (And Found) (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Absent Enemies (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Sight Unseen (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Control (Star Trek: Section 31)
  • Silent Weapons (Star Trek TNG: Cold Equations, #2)
  • Force and Motion
  • The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • Takedown (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Rules of Accusation (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Armageddon's Arrow (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Enigma Tales
  • The Body Electric (Star Trek TNG: Cold Equations, #3)
  • The Stuff of Dreams (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Persistence of Memory (Star Trek TNG: Cold Equations, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • I, The Constable (Star Trek Deep Space Nine)

Star Trek: Typhon Pact (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • A Singular Destiny (Star Trek)
  • Zero Sum Game (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)
  • Seize the Fire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #2)
  • Rough Beasts of Empire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #3)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • The Struggle Within (Star Trek: Typhon Pact #5)
  • Plagues of Night (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #6)
  • Raise the Dawn (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #7)
  • Brinkmanship (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #8)
  • The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: The Fall)