Start by marking “Violence Begets...” as Want to Read:
Violence Begets...

Violence Begets...

(Violence Begets... #1)

After a tragic accident devastates his family, 16-year-old Rick St. James starts his junior year of high school without any friends in a suburb of Salt Lake City, Utah. When he meets Kevin Vincent, he’s too distracted by the promise of new friends to see that Kevin has secrets of his own.

Having created an environment where he's feared and admired by his classmates, Kevin
Published September 15th 2015 by Wilde Works; Indie Artist Press (first published December 25th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Violence Begets..., please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Judith
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Judith by: Jan
5 Stars.

(...)I couldn't help but wonder if he was my saviour or the demon that would drag me to hell.(...)

"I wonder if there's a place for us?You know where we could just...."he trailed off(...)
"I mean,think about it,where we could kiss and hold hands without caring."

This one's free but I would have payed good money for it,without a doubt.For a debut novel it's pretty outstanding.I thought I'd left my dark side behind a long time ago-it turns out I just needed the right book to get back
SheReadsALot
I needed a day to try and gather my thoughts. Process. I still don't think I can express the right combination of words in my review on why this book should be read.

Because it should be. It's not for everyone. It definitely has triggers, hard limits some won't cross. (view spoiler)

I didn't cry but I was taken on a journey of emotions - ripped from anger to sadness to hope to utter devastation.

Brutal.

****4.5 Stars****

Jesus Fucking Christ.
I can't even.

Hey friends!

So many of you were asking me about this.
I’m sorry but I’m going to let you down this time. I don’t feel capable of writing about it.
It would be extremely time consuming and difficult for me to express my thoughts about this in English and to be quite honest, even in my mother language I would struggle. Therefore, I’m providing a link of a friend’s review where she did it beautifully.

Donna's review

As many of
Amy
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book. I'm not sure I can put my thoughts in to words. I'm kind of wrecked right now. Dark, disturbing, raw, overwhelming, heartbreaking. Kevin and Rick's story is not an easy one to read. No rainbows and unicorns here! Their story is full of violence, manipulation and head games. But I couldn't put it down! I was sucked in to their world from the very first page. Very well written. Hope to see more from this author!
Rachel
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-na, m-m, free-deal, dark

In 24 hours I powered through the 284 pages of this book in horror. At the end of every chapter I knew it was time to DNF the book for my emotional preservation. And after I took a moment and a breath, I turned the page and began the next chapter.

Exquisitely written in dueling POV’s, Violence Begets is the stunning account of two physically and emotionally battered teens coming of age in Mormon saturated Utah. Violence begets violence is an adage with roots in the Gospel of Matthew 26
LenaRibka
Audible headphones_icon_1

[could be a bit spoiler-ish]

I have a very strange feeling about this book.
The writing was really good, and I was hooked and invested in the story at the beginning.

But the more I read the more furious frustrated I became.
I ended up to hate it, and I was considering even to DNF somewhere over 90%.
Violence Begets... is not a book "to enjoy". It made me pretty depressed. There seemed to be no end in violence that dominated a story-line.

What made me upset, is the absence of any positive in
BlackMamba
I can't write a review, i'm emotionally devastated.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
Violence Begets by PT Denys
4.5 stars!!

“I’ve heard that violence begets violence, but in my world, violence begat love.”

Sometimes when you finish a book you look around and look at the others around you and think to yourself…why are you not upset? Why do you not look distraught? Why are you not crying? And then you realise that they haven’t read what you just have. I was stunned, I was speechless, I was bereft, I was in tears but one thing I knew was that I had read a really, really, really
Kol Anderson
If any book deserves those stars it's this one. The characters were so beautifully crafted and you could feel every emotion. I got sucked in and couldn't stop until I finished it. Best books I've read. Ever. This is going to stay with me for a long time.
JustJen "Miss Conduct"

A review by The Blogger Girls.

Wow. I’m not even sure where to start on this one. I’ve had it on my TBR for a really long time, and although I’ve really wanted to read it, in fact, had many friends tell me I needed to read it, something kept keeping me from doing so. Maybe it is the YA aspect which I normally steer clear from. Another nudge and other circumstances making it possible, I dove in, and it didn’t take long for me to be glad I did.

This is an extremely intense, very violent and emotiona
Alie38
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: DMC w/warnings of violence
I can't remember the last time a book has grabbed my heart and slowly squeezed with each soulful word until I was gasping for breath between the tears rolling down my face by the very end. Violence Begets Violence is a story of two teenage boys trying to survive behind the closed doors of physical abuse from each of their fathers in everyday suburbia. It is well told from two points of view. One is Rick, the new kid in school who is still reeling from guilt from a from a family tragedy and has t ...more
Jack Pyke
Oh... my... frickin'... lord. Now, I like my reads to hurt, to really get up close and personal with how a character loves, hates, hurts, grieves--how the devastation that hits can completely knock the stuffing out of those characters. Life's never easy, with get-out-of-hell cards, and I don't want fiction I read to give me that excuse and run with a HEA most never see. Some novels hit a few of those, and I'm left satisfied with the ups and downs that characters face.

But sometimes, just sometim
Louis Stevens
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing journey.

This is a beautiful, heartbreaking story. I so wished for a different outcome at the end.

To be quite honest, I wasn't able to read the most climactic part at the end. I've finished this story a few hours ago and it still haunts me. I wish there would have been a warning about the way it ends, just so people can decide if they want to go on that journey, but it was so well written. The author is able to stir emotions in the reader through words and sentences that form clea
Trisie
Krissy
I am a mess right now. This book tore me up. Some parts were so brutal to read that I almost put the book down. My stomach hurts, my chest hurts I just want to throw up right now from all the feelings roiling through me. The writing was superb. I could not put it down despite what it was putting me through. This was not a happy read. Not at all. So if you want a sweet and happy love story steer clear of this book. No it was not a happy read but boy was it a powerful one. This is a story that wil ...more
Dee Aditya
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who isn't looking for an HEA
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This has been, without a doubt, one of the most tragic things I have ever read.

Rick is suffering after he loses his brother. And then his father starts the physical abuse.

Kevin’s father is a monster wearing the garb of an upstanding citizen. In order to cope with how out of control his home life is, Kevin feels the need to exert his control over everything else in his life.

The minute he sees Rick, he feels like he’s found a n
Katerina
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

“I literally think my father is a sociopath, Rick. I had a psychology class last year and the book outlined different personality disorders. Sociopath was on the list and he met pretty much every characteristic. I remember reading it over and over, something finally explaining the monster I live with.”

“But how? How does he do that to you for years without anyone finding out?”

“Just like the bruises, people only see what they wanna see. And if they see more, they would much rather hear a sugar-co
carol
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adult dark readers who don't need HEA/HFN end
Recommended to carol by: F.
This is an excellent story regards character building/situation horror even acceptance. It is dark, horrifying, devastating.
I feel traumatised by the ending.
So, so hoped for justice at the end as we humans often do but be warned, this is how the worst may be and not just.
Has elements of Romeo and Juliet tragedy though Kevin and Rick are the star crossed lovers.
It shows how cruel youth, how homophobic youth and society still can be.
Not a feel good story you have been warned and suggest strong, b
Nemesis
If it was inspired by a true story, this would've got four or five stars from me, but reading the dedication page it seems it was not, therefore only three stars.
As it features such young characters I believe this story will have many readers similar to them. And it's clear enough the message the author delivers through this book. That's why I don't agree with the direction it took, I would've preferred an alternate development.

The protagonists, Rick and Kevin, are teenagers, both sixteen at the
Kristie
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay. This is not a happy book. It's brutal and horrible. It's this visceral look into abuse of two boys close to graduation, both just hanging on until they turn 18 and can get away.

It also feels long, so when I was just at about 50%, I kind of just wanted it to end already. I stuck it out, and I'm glad I did. Though much of this sad story, I sort of detached myself from emotion. Similar to what Kevin does to get through the beatings. I read everything with sort of textbook voice in my head. I
Lori
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

My initial reaction to this book -

I could not stop reading this book, it was brilliant and beautiful. It was also brutal and unbelievably sad and I won't forget it for a long time.

I may write a more extensive review once my head and heart have healed a little.

Well a week has passed but I'm still struggling to put into words how much I loved this book. Be warned, it is sad - it is more than sad, it's tragic - from the beginning to the end. Yet in the middle something beautiful blossoms. Have yo
Julia
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, gfy-ofy, abuse
The title says it all. This was dark, disturbing, and painful, but it completely kept my attention. At some point I realized there's no way it could end well. I think this quote sums it up nicely.

"You see, people don't want to believe there are monsters living next door, that there are innocent kids screaming for help. They want to believe the story of the dashing businessman rising to the occasion after the drug-addicted mother runs away. Even to the fuckers who work in the system, it's just on
Sue bowdley
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: heart-wrenching
Review to come once I've recovered x

Right.....Two days after finishing and I think I can write my review.....This book broke me.....actually broke me...The day I finished it the whole book was going round and round in my head.....Pt Denys is a new author to me and I've had this on my kindle for a couple of years...I even bought the paperback last year too because some friends told me I'd love it and I love my dark reads...Well this is not that kind of dark....This is a devastating book but oh my
Smith Barney

Violence begets...bullies. A tediously-violent transformative love story and bittersweet journey of a troubled 17-year-old 'bully' and the boy who dared to love him.

The writing reads as somewhat personal and very reminiscent of a young adult perspective. It's narrated in the first person with the MC's (Kevin/Aaron) alternating POV. This actually works well to lend a very self-reflective quality and insight into both the character's thoughts and mindset.

The violence remains paramount throughout
FantasyLiving
4.5 Stars

I don't even know what I can say about this book........

Devastating
Heartbreaking

I'm totally shattered. This was a marathon for my heart. A constant ache in my chest.

I wanted for them so much....

Beautiful, broken boys.

Tatiana
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was ok

I had expected it to be a heart-wrenching read, but in reality, I felt absolutely nothing for the characters. I blame the amateur writing.

Too much angsty drama, too many gaps in logic.

I think Lisa Henry writes these kinds of stories much better.
Truuss
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, 2017
I'm out of words........
Caroline Brand
REVIEWED FOR PRISM BOOK ALLIANCE

So, this is probably the most difficult book I have ever read. I requested it from Prism as I always do, by reading the blurb but not any reviews, and this is the one time I am thinking maybe I should have. There were numerous points at which I nearly stopped reading it. Why? I’m a mother. My youngest son is almost the same age as Rick and Kevin. It was extremely difficult not to mention painful to read the horror in this story.

I persevered but again I am still in
agirlwithoutwings
What we have is too good for this world

I feel betrayed by the way this book ended! Especially considering the fact that I was hooked by the story and desperate so that my dear characters would do something! (view spoiler) I really didn’t like the ending, Kevin really lost his focus, and Rick was acting so childishly.

(view spoiler)
Laxmama
I am a wrecked, this story hurts and it's hard through it all. The story of first young love told through the story of such brutality is not an easy read. What unnerves me most is the reality of kids suffering.

• Ink
  • Crucial Lessons (Brothers LaFon, #1)
  • Measure of Devotion (Measure of Devotion, #1)
  • Crush (The House on Glass Beach #1)
  • The Darker Side of Trey Grey (Trey Grey, #1)
  • Memorizing You
  • The Ghost and the Darkness Volume 1 (Fallocaust, #2)
  • Another Man's Treasure
  • Aftermath (Aftermath, #1)
  • Pain and . . . pain?
  • Special Forces - Mercenaries Part I (Special Forces, #2 part 1)
  • Falling Angels
  • The Red King
  • Amara: The Rebirth
  • Spectacularly Broken (Spectacularly Broken, #1)
  • Soulless
  • Not Broken, Just Bent
  • Chronic Carnalli Complex (Carnalli Brothers, #2)
PT never imagined publishing a book. But, the story of Violence Begets… and the lives of Kevin and Rick had to be shared.

In addition to writing, PT spends times balancing family, work, attending theater, and reading.

Above all else PT loves being a parent to 2 amazing daughters (a teenager and a toddler).

PT believes that no one deserves to be intentionally hurt (physically or emotionally) by ano

Violence Begets... (2 books)
  • The Cycle (Violence Begets..., #2)
“Violence only begets violence when we allow it to. We always have a choice.” 19 likes