Start by marking “Only Wheat Not White” as Want to Read:
Only Wheat Not White

Only Wheat Not White

"This fourth novel from Dixit treads familiar narrative ground from an uncommonly explored cultural perspective. Romance, likely to please fans of the genre." – Kirkus Reviews"

What if following your heart means failing your family?

Eila Sood leaves India for the U.S., hoping to unite her family and mend fences with her estranged older sister. She soon learns that her sist
Published (first published May 16th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Only Wheat Not White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only Wheat Not White

Shantala  (Shanaya Tales)
Rating Edit: 4.5 stars

Before I get into the review, a little background - I picked this book up right after reading (and re-reading) The Raven Cycle Series, and when, oddly enough, I was drifting into a reading slump. I say oddly enough, because I had loved the series, and it should have energized me to read more, but it didn't. I was in a strange lethargy.

And my go-to genre in such situations is - romance. A simple, light-hearted, fun, romantic comedy always picks me back up, and gets me going.
Mina Khan
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This turned out to be a fun, contemporary immigrant story that delves into the complexity of trying to live in two cultures. Sort of a multicultural & modern Pride & Prejudice.

At first, some unnecessary details and sudden point-of-view switches bogged down the read for me, but the more I read the more I loved the story. The hero Brett was awesome (if I wasn't married, and he wasn't fictional, I'd so want to date him!).

I went through much of the book, wanting to shake Eila, but I understo
Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff)
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All romance lovers
Recommended to Nikita by: Varsha Dixit

Rating: 4.5/5

Only Wheat Not White is the story of Eila Sood who has just arrived in America to live with her estranged sister and try to mend the broken ties once again. Eila's elder sister, Sheetal became a stranger to them when she married a foreigner. Now seven years later, Eila is here to try and mend those ties but before departing she got a strict " Only Wheat Not White" warning from her mother, meaning that she is never to fall for a white man!

But d
Lisa Cullinan
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only Wheat Not White is a light, enjoyable, innocent love story of a young woman's journey from India to the U.S. Twenty-six year old Eila, arrives in America to stay with her sister, Sheela, who is married to a "non wheat"! The reason for this journey is to try and mend fences between Sheela and her very traditional parents back in India as they have been estranged for seven years due to the fact that she didn't marry someone arranged for her. As we delve into Eila's new life, we meet plenty o ...more
Reshma Ranjan
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love is all what matters whether be it, Wheat or White!
What has love to do with race, caste or skin colour finally it is meant to conquer hearts for the better. Loved every moment of it.
Everytime I read Varsha Dixit I am in awe. Especially how she blends the humour so realistically to the story telling. It’s not just the story but also the humour and fun which adds the charm to the book.
The very concept of accepting a White into the very conservative Indian family, a husband and wife struggling
Valerie
Sometimes White Bread Is Good For You!

This was a great story that teaches us that you can’t run from true love, even when you find it outside of your race or culture. This book was at times heartbreaking and at other time hilariously funny. This one goes one my keeper shelf!
Rubina
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Disclaimer : I got this book from the Author. It is my personal opinion and NOT a commissioned one.

As the world shrinks due to cultural crossovers, the mentality of the humans are taking the time to catch up. In a country where you cannot marry a guy who speaks in a different dialect, marrying outside the country is a shocker. And this happened to the parents of Eila and Sheela - they could not accept when Sheela marries an American. They severe all ties with her and guess who had to bear the br
Inderpreet Uppal
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eila, an unsual name for an unusual girl! This is a story that delighted me and I read it straight through the night. The need to know how it all turns out; does Sheela manage to keep her family together? Do her parents forgive the elder sister or is the younger one also painted with the same colors? How long can a man wait for a lady to decide that does she love him or not? Is there any love for her at all or is it all lost along the way?

This novel throws up a delightful mix of issues and ques
Shilpa Garg
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I read, Only Wheat Not White, I remembered the locker room scene from Bend It Like Beckham.

"So, could you choose a white boy?"
"White, no, black, definitely not, a Muslim, uh-uh!"
"You'll marry an Indian then."
"Probably."
"How can you stand it?"
"It's just culture."

I think that pretty much sums it up for a lot of Indian parents. One may think that education, values, personality and all good characters and traits must matter when you are thinking of marrying someone. It’s a bit different for most
Ruchi Singh
Oct 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Rating 3.5 stars:

The premise of interracial relationship in Indian context is refreshing in contemporary romance category. OWNW deals with the effect of parents’ insecurity and close-mindedness towards unchartered culture, on the children. Their preconceived notions and impassioned black-mail leads to vacillation and emotional scarring in the next generation. The issue is handled well by Ms Dixit in ‘Only Wheat Not White’.

Eila Sood comes to America on H1 visa, with the intention of bridging the
Namitha Varma
Let me confess that I began reading this with a lot of prejudice. Prejudice #1 - the genre. I am not a fan of romance, and the amount of mushiness and the forced happy endings drive me crazy. Prejudice #2 - the title. 'Only Wheat Not White' sounded too racist, too unsophisticated.

But as I read, I enjoyed Dixit's writing. The snarky humour and the descriptions of Eila's clumsiness endeared me to the protagonist Eila Sood. In this month's 'romance-themed' reading challenge, this is in fact the on
Ruchira Khanna
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sundari Venkatraman
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this ebook from the author (via Blog Tour hosted by The Book Club) in return for my honest review. I never received any monetary compensation for the same.

Eila Sood is middle daughter of three from the Soods in India. She goes to New York, USA to work with OIS Solutions for six months. She plans to stay with her estranged sister Sheela who’s married to an American. Sheela has two adorable sons – Aryan and Adam. Incidentally, her husband’s name is Steve Jobs.
Nilima
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Varsha Dixit
Did you check out the Blurb of this book on Spotlight: Only Wheat not White by Varsha Dixit ?
If the blurb sounds interesting, the story is lovely. I loved it :)

What I liked: Oh, everything I can say :D
The cover is super delicious. The Blurb of the book made me want to pick up the book immediately.
Know more:
Book Review: Only Wheat not White by Varsha Dixit
Ameena  Mohamed
Oct 21, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a disappointing one after the other books by Varsha Dixit.Too much unnecessary details. Too long without much events or content. I wouldn't really call it a love story as it's more lust than love..however if you're that bored then go for itt.
P.G. Van
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story

Loved Eila and her funny thoughts. The blue eyed hero as any book hero can be. It's a sweet story.
luv2shp
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few typos but overall a great read.
Anil Swarup
Pretty "filmy" even though the setting is in an alien land, the USA. The story revolves around the chief protagonist whose primary task is to settle a family issue relating to her sister who is married to an American. The sister pays back handsomely by returning the favour. There is a lot of action that keeps the reader engrossed and in the end ...........its all smiles.
Deepanshu Yadav
Nov 12, 2015 rated it liked it
got one of its review copy through ‘The Book Club’ in return of my honest review so thanks a lot to Rubeena Ramesh for a kindle copy. It was in e-book format that took me more time to finish it. But now as I’ve finished it so here is my take on the book ‘Only Wheat not White’.
Initial Impression:
If I talk about initial impression then I was not so interested in reading it at first because I prefer paperback over an e-book but moreover if I found any Story’s blurb interesting then I try to give a
Humaira Shaikh
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Only Wheat Not White is a fun, contemporary read with witty humour. And is sure to entertain you for a day.The books title "Only Wheat Not White " is not just the title, it is a yardstick, a guideline that the heroine, Eila is supposed to live by according to her family. The term means that Eila is supposed to marry and settle down with only wheat or swarthy coloured men. To be specific only Indian men and not white men. But unfortunately the exact opposite happens as expected. She meets a man t ...more
Aparna
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all I love the way Varsha names the title of her Books. She has a knack of naming them with rhyming words. Secondly her art of weaving story based on love, relationships, friendship and family is well commendable and it makes the reader connect with the characters of the story.

First when i read the title, I thought food might be the main content of the story. (Though i was not wrong fully) But as i moved forward with the story i understood the real meaning behind the title.

In India, lo
Mahathi Ramya
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plot:
This is the story of Eila, who visits the US for her first job. Though Job was just a reason, she wants to mend fences between her parents and her sister, who married a foreigner and thus rejected by her parents. While Eila starts living with her sister and takes up 2 jobs, she falls in love with handsome Brett. What should she do now? She is in a dilemma. Will her parents accept another inter-cultural marriage? Can she reunite her sister with family if she chooses her love over family pref
Shalini
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Plot:
Eila arrives at the U.S. in hope of mending fences between her parents and sister Sheila who married a ‘white’ man. As fate would have it, Eila meets Brett and falls in love. Who should she choose? Despite all her efforts, how much more can she be loyal to her traditional parents back in India?
Whoa!
Honestly, I do not know from where I should start. This was the first book I read on my all new Kindle. And the excitement was already high. I started the book by around 10pm and finished by 1.40
Julie Hayes
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Eila Sood travels from India to New York in order to mend the fences between her family and her estranged older sister, Sheela. Beginning with her flight, anything that can go wrong does. Not to mention she keeps finding herself up against a incredibly good-looking blue-eyed ogre, who sees her at her worst and doesn’t hesitate to make note of her shortcomings.

Sheela has two small boys, Aryan and Adam, whom Eila quickly falls in love with. It’s obvious from the beginning that the relationship bet
Linda Walters
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this one. At first I wasn't sure if I was going to like the main character, Eila at all. Sure she was cute in her awkward at times kind of way. And at least one person in the book said she was a "trouble magnet" which she was. Although not in an evil way. No, it wasn't any of that but how cold and rude she was to her brother-in-law Steve. I had to keep reminding myself (and the book helped me in this) that she blamed everything on Steve for her family's breakup. To her, he was the ...more
Vishal
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
A spicy romance, blue ogre lover, a 20-something woman traipse awkwardly and cannot control her mouth and a sister whose life is in tatters. Only Wheat Not White where author Varsha Dixit not only cook but whips a storm in the US of A, the land of limitless possibility.

It’s a golden rule, ‘Only Wheat Not White’ in Eila’s world but everything she plans for, goes topsy-turvy. It’s a tale of complicated lives, where Eila not only finds friendship in the unlikeliest place but, she becomes a match fi
Swathi Shenoy
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copy
The title of the story made me curious. 'What might actually be the story behind it?' was what prompted me to pick up this book. And I am glad I did. It was such a wonderful and hilarious read.

When Eila leaves India to work in New York, there is only one rule her mom sets for her - Only Wheat Not White. Eila agrees readily because she had never imagined meeting a handsome blue eyed ogre, who though irritates her to no end at first, later makes her go weak in the knees and make her want to stop
Phylicia Burford
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Refreshing Romance Story

The story centered around Eila a twenty six year old woman who traveled from India to be a buffer to mend her family drama brought about her sisters marriage to a non-wheat man as their mother called it. Eila was raised with the pressure of marrying someone her parents approved of. In walks Brett into her life to stir up feelings that she has never had and is the opposite of what her parents would approve of.

Throughout the story Eila meets great people who add value to t
Cindy
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were a few details at the beginning that I found sort of boring, but about of the way in, I was glad I hadn't put the book down. It's a really fun, cute and light romance story. ...more
Parichita Singh
This is a love story which captures the insecurities of a Indian who has fallen in love with a "white" man. Despite all the advances, the huge perceived gap between the "wheat" and the "white" is brought up in the story.

Eila's sister married an american and is estranged from her parents.
This book shows the journey of the Eila who visits US with the hope to ensure a reconciliation between her parents and her sister. But before reconciling them Eila has to free her sister from the guilt which has
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Malhotra Bride
  • Destiny's Girl
  • Siren's Treasure (Dark Seas #2)
  • The Girl He Left Behind
  • Bound by Revenge (The Singham Bloodlines #1)
  • The One She Was Warned About
  • Done With Men
  • Nina (Beach Brides #3)
  • There's Something About You
  • Bootie and the Beast
  • The Bride Wore Starlight (Seven Brides for Seven Cowboys, #3)
  • Call to Engage (Team Poseidon #2)
  • The Baby Contract (The Billionaire Bachelor Series, #1)
  • More Than Magic (Books of the Kindling, #1)
  • The Perfect Groom
  • What If It's Love? (La Bohème, #2)
  • Hearts and Kisses: 12 Contemporary Valentine Novels and Novellas Boxed Set
  • Surviving the Rachel
Varsha Dixit, the best selling author of four successful contemporary romance books. Her debut book, Right Fit Wrong Shoe was a national bestseller for the year 2010. Varsha was a part of the Indian Television Industry and worked as an assistant director and online editor. She considers herself a dreamer who thinks deep but writes light. Even though creativity is gender free,Varsha feels blessed a ...more
“Just not a big fan of dogmatic rituals or gatherings. Like I put faith in god, I give a truckload of significance to karma, character and compassion.” 0 likes