Start by marking “Rough Road: A Lake Lovelace Novel” as Want to Read:
Rough Road: A Lake Lovelace Novel

Rough Road: A Lake Lovelace Novel (Lake Lovelace #2)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  525 Ratings  ·  163 Reviews
Eddie Russell is many things: A wealthy pillar of the community. An outrageous flirt. A doting best friend. A masochist with a kink for brawling with his bedmates. But he is definitely not a man who invites intimacy. His friends are close but few, his lovers rarer still.

When Eddie runs his Mercedes off the road on a hot July afternoon, Wish Carver comes to his aid—and lea
Published September 26th 2015 by Riptide Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Rough Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rough Road

julio
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved
mine at last.

description

the thing about vanessa north is, i swear she gets better and better every time out.

i know her pretty well; we're critique partners, our respective nerderies are remarkably simpatico, and we both wore plaid flannel shirts in the '90s. she works hard, and studies this letterpeckery shit as obsessively as i do. she's enormously talented, and she's got a heart so full of compassion it's kind of a little bit intimidating.

sometimes i beta for her, and that's when i get to see how she ap
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*4.5 stars*

I don't want to own you or master you or any of that Dom shit. I'm not looking for a waxed body to push around and call mine. I want to watch a grown man take a goddamned beating and thrive on it.

Woah, Vanessa North, pain sluts are SO not my kink, but you made pain sexy and you OWNED this book!

I solemnly swear that Vanessa North is the ONLY author that can make me like first person, present tense. When other authors fail and make this format painful to read, this author thrives. S
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Predictably, I LOVED this book.

I say predictably because:

1. I love Vanessa North's writing.

2. I gave 5 stars to the first book in this series:

Double Up (Lake Lovelace, #1) by Vanessa North

3. I adored Eddie in the first book and wanted more ... more Eddie, more sass, just MORE.

I am so fucking happy this book didn't disappoint. Eddie is still a big queen, but reading a story from his POV was a big eye opener.

Eddie isn't all flip and sass. I mean, he IS that, but he's also a little insecure, insanely kind, and truly has no fucks left to g
J *deep in the heart of Texas*
3.5 Stars!

I loved Eddie from the first book, and they definitely didn't call him Kinky Eddie for nothin'.....because...

......that kink was thrown down from the get go.

And this one really stretched my kink comfort zone! Pain and humiliation aren't really my thing. And other than a few scenes, I was able to enjoy this one despite the kink.

There were enough sweet moments thrown in with the other stuff to lighten things up a bit.

I thought Eddie and Ben's relationship was a bit too co-dependent. W
Vanessa North
Apr 23, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-wrote
9/28/2015: Rough Road is HERE! It's release day,and a quick peek at the major bookselling retailers shows it's live almost everywhere. Riptide Publishing has set up a blog tour for me--I'm giving away a Riptide gift card, and I hope you'll follow along!
link here: http://riptidepublishing.com/events/t...

Rough Road is the second Lake Lovelace book, due out September 28!
It's a kinky romantic comedy, and I had an absolute blast writing it. Enjoy!

Gigi
Advanced review copy of Rough Road provided by Riptide Publishing via Net Gallery in exchange for an honest review.

Vanessa North How do I love thee? Let me count the ways:

1. For giving us Ben and Fox from Double Up and bringing them back in Rough Road to my absolute delight.
2. For writing Eddie as a the Big Queen that he is.
3. For a Mercedes accident near a construction zone.
4. For naming a main character "Wish".
5. For making Eddie a shameless pain slut.
6. For giving us the big, beautiful, roug
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***4.5 Stars***

He makes me smile, a completely wild, unself-conscious smile. And he has no idea what a gift he gives me every time. I'm a guy who calculates each emotion I let cross my face. But tonight, with him, I don't care if he sees my feelings as they happen. I'm not afraid, or trying to jockey for position. I'm here, with him, and free.

Kinky Eddie delivers in spades!!

I wasn't sure how far Eddie's kink went, and I must say that I was a bit surprised at the amount of pain that he love
MishyJo
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I love Vanessa's ability to push me right up against a line that I think I will be uncomfortable crossing and finding that I am fine where she has taken me. I don't get Eddie's kink, his enjoyment of pain, but I do get that we are all wired differently. I love that he is so confident in some parts of who he is and not so much in other parts. That really spoke to me.

As an added bonus, I won a legends of wakeboard t-shirt at GRL and Vanessa, did, in fact, sign my paperback copy of the boo
Ele

*sigh* Ele is a happy, happy girl. And so very pleased. Reading a book by Vanessa North is so effortless, it feels like coming home.

When Eddie made his appearence in Double Up, just in his speedos underneath a red robe, I was a goner. I fell in love with him on the spot. In this book, he completely stole my heart.

Not just a shameless pain slut, but a real masochist.Bitting, face slapping, paddling, whipping....you name it, he gets off on it. Normally, this is not my cuppa but what made this so i
Catherine
*** 4.5 Stars ***

If I tell you in detail how much I loved this book, I'm going to be late for work. And, since I was late for work yesterday because I started the book while getting ready and then just had to read one more page (and then another and another) before leaving the house, that is probably not a very smart career decision.

So, yeah. I loved it from the first page to the last. Vanessa totally delivered on every sweet, kinky promise she made in Double Up and then some.
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion
This review is going to sound like a backhanded compliment and I really don't mean it that way. Really, I don't.

So let me just state up front, I liked the book. I didn't love it, but I liked it.

It's a nice read with some decent kink which I'll get to in a minute. My unpassioned response to Rough Road starts and stops with Eddie. North did a great job with his voice, characterization and realizing him as a character for me despite my not having read the first installment in this series. I just d
Adam
Vanessa North's writing has been a mixed bag for me. 'Rough Road' changes everything. From the moment Kinky Eddie swished on to the pages of Double Up, I was hooked. And when I found out that he'd be getting his own story, I had to have it. I'm happy to report that not only was this book a great read, it fulfilled all of my Kinky Eddie fantasies!

Eddie Russell is wealthy and shamelessly flamboyant. When he gets in to a car accident, Wish Carver comes to his rescue. Wish is a road-construction wor
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
It’s funny the lengths you can go to when you want something. This book is totally out of my comfort zone. It crosses boundaries that I thought were pretty much set in stone. And, they probably were, until I met Eddie. Because of this beautiful man I was able to step way out of my bubble, read this book, and trust that he would keep me safe.

From the second I finished Double Up I knew I wanted Eddie’s story. No, I needed Eddie’s story. I had no qualms about telling Vanessa just that. It seems a
Kat is a Glitter Pirate ☠

I'm still flying and I'm think I'm going to feel that way for a very, very long time because Rough Road was everything I hoped it would be and then some.

More words when I can be coherent. Just know for the time being that this made me incredibly happy and I'm so thankful to Vanessa North for doing that.

One of my favourite quotes:
When Wish finally sits down next to me, dripping wet and grinning like a kid at Christmas, I can’t help myself: I wrap my arms around him and kiss him. I kiss him,
Erika
Omg this was so good and so fun and extremely enlightening in regards to what I find to be so fascinating about BDSM. In other words, it was hot as hell lol. I mean, for real.

I liked the May/December trope in this one, because Wish and Eddie were perfect for each other. There was a perfect amount of angst about the age gap from Eddie but not an exaggerated amount, where you'd get annoyed reading about it and start rolling your eyes.

To be honest, I loved everything about this but the length, wh
Tina
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

4,5 stars.

Finally Eddie, our ‘ancient queen’ got his story! Woohoo!

Loved him to bits in Double Up and could hardly wait for his own book!

Rough Road gave me everything I expected and even more: It's sexy, entertaining, funny, and heart warming romantic.

And of course the story is…

He drops his gaze to his hands, then smiles again.

“Why do I want to play with you? Because you turn me on.
I want to hit you. I want to fuck you.
I don’t want to own you or master you or any of that Dom shit.
I’m not
Chelsea

That was just GLORIOUS! Enough relationship drama to make it realistic and interesting but not really any angst. It was nice that the age-gap between the two was not a big deal, despite Eddie being a bit hesitant at first, its not really brought up again. That is probably because Wish is, i'm pretty sure the most perfect boyfriend ever!!! I love him!

Eddie was hilarious!! I love an older flamboyant man and he was perfect, especially in his tiny green speedo's ;-)

This book was sooo super HOT, I ju
вιвℓισρнιℓια {кιηgѕℓєу & ѕøяєη ƒσяєνєя}
4.5 ★

**arc kindly provided by NetGalley**

description....

"I think you and I are worth fixing."

Love, loved the authors writing style, the dynamics and characters in this book were so, so good. Such a refreshing, and very hot read. I'd dearly love to read more from this Lake Lovelace verse.

Dαɴιjα

When I find a book in which the main character has the nickname Kinky, my reaction is:

description

Naturally!

And go there I did. But before that I wanted to read Double Up, the story that made a lot of readers wish for Eddie's book. Sure enough, by the end of it, I was one of them. I was just lucky enough not to have to wait for it.

I'm happy to report I liked Eddie & Wish's story better than Ben & Dave's for several reasons.

I'll start with the two that appealed to me personally. The majority proba
Exina
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars! Review later...
Lena♥Ribka

It was my first book by Vanessa North, and I have to admit that I liked it more than I actually expected when I picked it up.

If I have to express my feeling about the book in one word, I would choose NICE.

The story was light, easy, drama- and trouble-free - nice.
The main characters were likable, very different in their background, but nicely compatible.

Sex scenes were nicely hot, but rather sweet than kinky, what didn't bother me at all. Of course I liked Wish much more than Eddie. But Wish l
Ed
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
4 stars

No detailed review here, just a pretty unqualified rec. The sweetest book about people consensually beating the shit out of each other for sexual gratification I've ever read. And I mean that entirely unironically. This is sadomasochism without a hint of D/S play (which is something I've seen almost nothing of in m/m). I'm not into pain stuff *at all*, but North does an excellent job of showing that the characters *are* and demonstrating how it is important to them and fits into their rel
* N aka Nikki
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved, loved loved this. But beware, it will totally derail productivity and sleep!
Renée Yes-I-know-I-read-too-damn-much
What a great follow-up from Double Up, which I adored! Eddie and Wish meet when Eddie crashed his car during a tire blow out. Wish (short for Aloysius) is 24 to Eddie's 44, and Eddie is pretty wary of that. Who wouldn't be? But Wish plows right on through and won't let him make it into a big deal.

"'Is that gonna be a thing? You're going to say I'm too young and you'll stop flirting and feel all guilty''
Damn it.
'I was thinking something along those lines,' I admit.
'Don't.' He points. 'I don't ne
Sandra
With the kinky hotness! I've read a lot of BDSM but I think this may have been my first foray into the solely S&M genre, and oh boy did I like it! I loved this quote:

"Admitting you like pain is one thing. Pain can be sterilized. Violence though, and a sexual craving for it, tends to creep civilized people right the fuck out."

So if you're not okay with reading about someone who wants to be smacked across the face, slammed up against a wall, and fucked hard, then don't read this book. Bu
Bitchie
**arc received from Netgalley**

When I finished Double Up, I immediately had to search out the next book in this series, because Eddie was such fun. I got the arc from NetGalley, and also pre-ordered from Riptide, which I almost never do! And I have not even an ounce of regret, this book was that good.

Eddie fascinated me in Double Up. He was just such a fun character, out and outspoken outrageous and completely unapologetic about it.

And then there was Wish! Wish is the kind of character who just
.Lili.
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, arc-netgalley
I read this one a bit back to get ready for Roller Girl, but life has been hectic and hadn't had the time to post a review. What can I say: this book was funny and sweet but also made me a little uncomfortable. I do love me some kinky times, but these boys tested my limits. Humiliation is not really my thing, so I had a hard time with that. Despite that though I still enjoyed it and would recommend it- just be aware going in this was kinkier that the first book but it still carries the same swee ...more
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
This is what Summer reading at the beginning of Autumn is all about: hot, a little wistful, ready to snuggle, happy to have the warmth but ready for the chill and all the good things that come with it, easy and light like the sunshine with a few emotionally heavy moments, just like those first cool rains of the season.

First things first, you definitely want to read Double Up before you read this. Not just because you'll better understand the relationships and important friendships, but because i
Feliz
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eddie and Wish *sigh* - a match made in Heaven...

So basically anyone who ever read Double Up (Lake Lovelace, #1) by Vanessa North, the first book in this series, fell in love with Eddie Russell. He’s Ben from Double Up’s best friend, he’s born rich, and he is, in his own words, a “sassy old queen” (never mind he’s only forty-four.) He also is a masochist, though not at all submissive, he gets off on fighting back. And he’s still holding a candle for Ben (without acknowledging it even to himself, though it’s obvious to anyone with eyes) wh
  • Manties in a Twist (The Subs Club, #3)
  • For Real
  • How to Train Your Dom in Five Easy Steps
  • If It Drives (Market Garden, #7)
  • Hooch & Cake (Special Delivery, #1.5)
  • Risk Aware
  • Let the Wrong Light In
  • Mauled (Guards of Folsom, #4.5; Beyond Duty, #2)
  • Two Steps Back
  • Training Season (Training Season, #1)
  • Giving an Inch (The Professor's Rule, #1)
  • Falling Away
  • Better Than Friends (Better Than, #3)
  • How I Met Your Father
Author of over a dozen novels, novellas, and short stories, Vanessa North delights in giving happy-ever-afters to characters who don’t think they deserve them. Relentless curiosity led her to take up knitting and run a few marathons “just to see if she could.” She started writing for the same reason. Her very patient husband pretends not to notice when her hobbies take over the house. Living and w ...more
More about Vanessa North...

Lake Lovelace (3 books)
  • Double Up (Lake Lovelace, #1)
  • Roller Girl (Lake Lovelace, #3)
“It's the kind of kiss that ends with clothes on the floor and somebody getting dicked out up against the wall.” 8 likes