Start by marking “Rough Road: A Lake Lovelace Novel” as Want to Read:
Rough Road: A Lake Lovelace Novel

Rough Road: A Lake Lovelace Novel (Lake Lovelace #2)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  510 Ratings  ·  161 Reviews
Eddie Russell is many things: A wealthy pillar of the community. An outrageous flirt. A doting best friend. A masochist with a kink for brawling with his bedmates. But he is definitely not a man who invites intimacy. His friends are close but few, his lovers rarer still.

When Eddie runs his Mercedes off the road on a hot July afternoon, Wish Carver comes to his aid—and lea
Published September 26th 2015 by Riptide Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Rough Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rough Road

Julio Genao
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved
mine at last.

the thing about vanessa north is, i swear she gets better and better every time out.

i know her pretty well; we're critique partners, our respective nerderies are remarkably simpatico, and we both wore plaid flannel shirts in the '90s. she works hard, and studies this letterpeckery shit as obsessively as i do. she's enormously talented, and she's got a heart so full of compassion it's kind of a little bit intimidating.

sometimes i beta for her, and that's when i get to see how she ap
J *deep in the heart of Texas*
3.5 Stars!

I loved Eddie from the first book, and they definitely didn't call him Kinky Eddie for nothin'.....because...

......that kink was thrown down from the get go.

And this one really stretched my kink comfort zone! Pain and humiliation aren't really my thing. And other than a few scenes, I was able to enjoy this one despite the kink.

There were enough sweet moments thrown in with the other stuff to lighten things up a bit.

I thought Eddie and Ben's relationship was a bit too co-dependent. W
Vanessa North
Apr 23, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
9/28/2015: Rough Road is HERE! It's release day,and a quick peek at the major bookselling retailers shows it's live almost everywhere. Riptide Publishing has set up a blog tour for me--I'm giving away a Riptide gift card, and I hope you'll follow along!
link here:

Rough Road is the second Lake Lovelace book, due out September 28!
It's a kinky romantic comedy, and I had an absolute blast writing it. Enjoy!

Advanced review copy of Rough Road provided by Riptide Publishing via Net Gallery in exchange for an honest review.

Vanessa North How do I love thee? Let me count the ways:

1. For giving us Ben and Fox from Double Up and bringing them back in Rough Road to my absolute delight.
2. For writing Eddie as a the Big Queen that he is.
3. For a Mercedes accident near a construction zone.
4. For naming a main character "Wish".
5. For making Eddie a shameless pain slut.
6. For giving us the big, beautiful, roug
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***4.5 Stars***

He makes me smile, a completely wild, unself-conscious smile. And he has no idea what a gift he gives me every time. I'm a guy who calculates each emotion I let cross my face. But tonight, with him, I don't care if he sees my feelings as they happen. I'm not afraid, or trying to jockey for position. I'm here, with him, and free.

Kinky Eddie delivers in spades!!

I wasn't sure how far Eddie's kink went, and I must say that I was a bit surprised at the amount of pain that he love
Note (added 11/03/2018):

In light of recent events, I can no longer recommend this book to my friends (or any reader, for that matter).

However, my Goodreads review space provides me an opportunity to rate and review books, expressing how they made me think, feel, question, or react at a particular moment in time. Sometimes, I use my review space to share stories about my life or comment on the world around me, drawing comparisons between myself and the characters and plot lines that I read abou
Vanessa North's writing has been a mixed bag for me. 'Rough Road' changes everything. From the moment Kinky Eddie swished on to the pages of Double Up, I was hooked. And when I found out that he'd be getting his own story, I had to have it. I'm happy to report that not only was this book a great read, it fulfilled all of my Kinky Eddie fantasies!

Eddie Russell is wealthy and shamelessly flamboyant. When he gets in to a car accident, Wish Carver comes to his rescue. Wish is a road-construction wor
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
It’s funny the lengths you can go to when you want something. This book is totally out of my comfort zone. It crosses boundaries that I thought were pretty much set in stone. And, they probably were, until I met Eddie. Because of this beautiful man I was able to step way out of my bubble, read this book, and trust that he would keep me safe.

From the second I finished Double Up I knew I wanted Eddie’s story. No, I needed Eddie’s story. I had no qualms about telling Vanessa just that. It seems a
Reread- Feb 2018 - gah so cute! Loved this story so much!!!

That was just GLORIOUS! Enough relationship drama to make it realistic and interesting but not really any angst. It was nice that the age-gap between the two was not a big deal. Despite Eddie being a bit hesitant at first, its not really brought up again. That is probably because Wish is, I'm pretty sure, the most perfect boyfriend ever!!! I love him!

Eddie was hilarious!! I love an older flamboyant man and he was perfect, especially in h
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: september-2015
Omg this was so good and so fun and extremely enlightening in regards to what I find to be so fascinating about BDSM. In other words, it was hot as hell lol. I mean, for real.

I liked the May/December trope in this one, because Wish and Eddie were perfect for each other. There was a perfect amount of angst about the age gap from Eddie but not an exaggerated amount, where you'd get annoyed reading about it and start rolling your eyes.

To be honest, I loved everything about this but the length, wh
Nov 19, 2017 marked it as bad-shameful-behavior  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, shorties, kink
**** 3.75 Stars ****
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

4,5 stars.

Finally Eddie, our ‘ancient queen’ got his story! Woohoo!

Loved him to bits in Double Up and could hardly wait for his own book!

Rough Road gave me everything I expected and even more: It's sexy, entertaining, funny, and heart warming romantic.

And of course the story is…

He drops his gaze to his hands, then smiles again.

“Why do I want to play with you? Because you turn me on.
I want to hit you. I want to fuck you.
I don’t want to own you or master you or any of that Dom shit.
I’m not
вιвℓισρнιℓια {кιηgѕℓєу & ѕøяєη ƒσяєνєя}
4.5 ★

**arc kindly provided by NetGalley**

"I think you and I are worth fixing."

Love, loved the authors writing style, the dynamics and characters in this book were so, so good. Such a refreshing, and very hot read. I'd dearly love to read more from this Lake Lovelace verse.

When I find a book in which the main character has the nickname Kinky, my reaction is:

And go there I did. But before that I wanted to read Double Up, the story that made a lot of readers wish for Eddie's book. Sure enough, by the end of it, I was one of them. I was just lucky enough not to have to wait for it.

I'm happy to report I liked Eddie & Wish's story better than Ben & Dave's for several reasons.

I'll start with the two that appealed to me personally. The majority proba
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars! Review later...

It was my first book by Vanessa North, and I have to admit that I liked it more than I actually expected when I picked it up.

If I have to express my feeling about the book in one word, I would choose NICE.

The story was light, easy, drama- and trouble-free - nice.
The main characters were likable, very different in their background, but nicely compatible.

Sex scenes were nicely hot, but rather sweet than kinky, what didn't bother me at all. Of course I liked Wish much more than Eddie. But Wish l
With the kinky hotness! I've read a lot of BDSM but I think this may have been my first foray into the solely S&M genre, and oh boy did I like it! I loved this quote:

"Admitting you like pain is one thing. Pain can be sterilized. Violence though, and a sexual craving for it, tends to creep civilized people right the fuck out."

So if you're not okay with reading about someone who wants to be smacked across the face, slammed up against a wall, and fucked hard, then don't read this book. Bu
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, arc-netgalley
I read this one a bit back to get ready for Roller Girl, but life has been hectic and hadn't had the time to post a review. What can I say: this book was funny and sweet but also made me a little uncomfortable. I do love me some kinky times, but these boys tested my limits. Humiliation is not really my thing, so I had a hard time with that. Despite that though I still enjoyed it and would recommend it- just be aware going in this was kinkier that the first book but it still carries the same swee ...more
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
This is what Summer reading at the beginning of Autumn is all about: hot, a little wistful, ready to snuggle, happy to have the warmth but ready for the chill and all the good things that come with it, easy and light like the sunshine with a few emotionally heavy moments, just like those first cool rains of the season.

First things first, you definitely want to read Double Up before you read this. Not just because you'll better understand the relationships and important friendships, but because i
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eddie and Wish *sigh* - a match made in Heaven...

So basically anyone who ever read Double Up (Lake Lovelace, #1) by Vanessa North, the first book in this series, fell in love with Eddie Russell. He’s Ben from Double Up’s best friend, he’s born rich, and he is, in his own words, a “sassy old queen” (never mind he’s only forty-four.) He also is a masochist, though not at all submissive, he gets off on fighting back. And he’s still holding a candle for Ben (without acknowledging it even to himself, though it’s obvious to anyone with eyes) wh
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kink

Oh, there is a God, and angels really do wear hard hats.

Eddie; that bright, sassy, shining star from the first book is back and as loveable as ever.

Eddie and Wish are pretty much made for each other. There might be twenty years separating them, but no one has ever gotten Eddie the way Wish does. Wish loves to inflict pain but doesn't want a submissive man, and Eddie loves the fight of it. There's a violence that comes with sex, and it's a major turn on for him.

These two aren't immu
Apr 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Original rating and review removed. Bullying and lying not acceptable.
Shirley Frances
Phew! I loved Double Up and although I expected the book that would follow to be great, I wasn't expecting it to be this awesome. Boy was I wrong. Not only was this better in the way the characters related to each other, but it was also hella hotter!

We met Eddie Russell on Double Up as Ben's flamboyant, in-your-face best friend. He left quite an impression on me then, but it was by reading his story that I ultimately fell in love with his every facet.

At first sight, you wouldn't put much stoc
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: allromanceebooks
Eddie was so funny. I loved his over the top personality. And Wish was a perfect match for him.
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“When you got out of the car and I could actually see you? So handsome and swishy and wincing in pain, you made me hard. I wanted to fuck you. I wanted to see you wince from pain I inflicted. Not because I thought you’d like it, but because I like it. The fact that you do like it? That it could be more than a jerk-off fantasy?”

Frankly, Rough Road is glorious. It starts with a bang and continues to spin a story that is entirely engaging - both brutally funny and immensely touching. I was charme

I never in a million years expected to read Eddie's story, even though I dreamed about it plenty. I liked Eddie a lot when I read Ben's story, and I wondered about him and his relationship with Ben. I was so excited when I saw this book was being published, and it was so worth the wait.

Kinky Eddie, I love you dude! I knew that a tender, lovable Eddie was hiding behind that queenly, outrageous exterior; Eddie is a simple man in need of some serious loving, and some heavy duty cuddling, a
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very entertaining. Well drawn out, likeable characters. Eddie was a blast to read. As a testament to the utterly fantastic writing skills of Vanessa North, never once did I squeak or squirm or roll my eyes. We have a sadist and a masochist and I learned to appreciate their kinkiness for what it is - their thing, not mine. I still enjoyed every written word. It was just that good. Highly recommended.
  • Manties in a Twist (The Subs Club, #3)
  • For Real
  • How to Train Your Dom in Five Easy Steps
  • If It Drives (Market Garden, #7)
  • Hooch & Cake (Special Delivery, #1.5)
  • Risk Aware
  • Let the Wrong Light In
  • Mauled (Guards of Folsom, #4.5; Beyond Duty, #2)
  • Two Steps Back
  • Training Season (Training Season, #1)
  • Giving an Inch (The Professor's Rule, #1)
  • Falling Away
  • Better Than Friends (Better Than, #3)
  • How I Met Your Father
Author of over a dozen novels, novellas, and short stories, Vanessa North delights in giving happy-ever-afters to characters who don’t think they deserve them. Relentless curiosity led her to take up knitting and run a few marathons “just to see if she could.” She started writing for the same reason. Her very patient husband pretends not to notice when her hobbies take over the house. Living and w ...more
More about Vanessa North...

Lake Lovelace (3 books)
  • Double Up (Lake Lovelace, #1)
  • Roller Girl (Lake Lovelace, #3)

Romance Deals

• Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)
    $4.99 $2
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Bailey (Ace Security #3)
  • The Girl in Times Square: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Return to Homecoming Ranch (Pine River Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up Book 1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • The Third Wish: A Novella
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Promises (Broken #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • From Sand and Ash
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Bearly in Control (Shifters Undercover, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
  • Sheltering Rain
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Sing: A Novel of Colorado (The Homeward Trilogy #2)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • She Can Scream (She Can Series, Book 3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Buried (Bone Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Mess (Broken #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • One More Night (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
“It's the kind of kiss that ends with clothes on the floor and somebody getting dicked out up against the wall.” 8 likes