Start by marking “Murder at the Lighthouse (Exham on Sea Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder at the Lighthouse (Exham on Sea Mysteries #1)

Murder at the Lighthouse

(Exham on Sea Mysteries #1)

What would you do if you found a body under a lighthouse?

Love Agatha Christie-style murder mysteries, cosy crime, clever animals and cake, and Murder at the Lighthouse, the first in a fun series of mysteries set in a small English seaside town in Somerset, is for you.

The body on the beach throws Libby Forest's new life into turmoil. Everyone in town knows the dead woman
Published September 23rd 2015 by AinsleyAssociates

To ask other readers questions about Murder at the Lighthouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder at the Lighthouse

Tulay
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Good and short cosy mystery.

Needed to read a cozy mystery, after the last book I read. This was perfect gateway for me. Two murders in small town. Libby just moved and she was the only one interested finding out who was behind the murders. Warning, you might find yourself hungry and snacking while reading. Wish I was eating all those delicious stuff Libby was cooking.
Adrian
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great "cosy" mystery. Review to follow after Hols 😀
Leslie
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cops, mystery, purchased
This is a fast paced mystery that cleverly doesn't waste a lot of time introducing characters but gets right to the story. When a woman walking her dog finds a dead body on the beach she thinks this isn't the best way to get to know her new community. Libby Forrest is recently widowed, a newly minted baker and actually enjoying her solitude. The body is a former local, turned famous rock star. The police think it was accidental. Libby thinks otherwise. With the help of Max, father of one a polic ...more
Anita Byler
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
There are way too many leaps in the logic in this book. At least three times I got the distinct feeling that some particular thing needed to be the next step, therefore it was. There was no real evidence ever given that the second death was a murder. The author needed it to be that so the main character decided it was. But it certainly was not a logical conclusion. Then the book where the dead lady wrote everything down and the very clever interfering main character charges into a house and grab ...more
John Hennessy
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really do love a good little mystery, and I am reading more and more of this 'cosy' genre of late. Murder at the Lighthouse is immediately intriguing, I love the title and was going to read this anyway, as it is not my first read of this author's work.

Whilst other books I have read of hers had fewer characters, this book is choc-full of them. But the clever writing, fast narrative and sharp dialogue mean you know who is who. You never get lost. In fact, I think the considerable cast is there t
Cheryl
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I give this 3.5 stars.

I'm coming across more and more of these "cosy" mysteries that seem head and shoulders above the standard in quality, and this book certainly meets that criteria.
An interesting plot woven with an intriguing background and wonderful characters make this a quick, entertaining read. I'd love to read more in the series.
Jane Withers
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
A bit of light hearted fun... plenty of holes in the plot .. but it was quite sweet , sweet usually irritates me but for some reason this didn’t .. it might be because the dog and cat got on .. a modern day Miss Marple without the hat and pursed lips.
Hope
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
An okay cozy mystery.
Cathy Ryan
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
When dog walker Libby Forest takes her charge, Shipley, on the beach one cold and blustery day, she discovers a body under the lighthouse.

The police determine it’s that of a once local woman, Susie Bennet, who left Exham on Sea years ago to become a rock star in America. Exham’s Detective Inspector, the patronising Joe Ramshore labels the death a suicide but Libby isn’t so sure.

Libby and her cat, Fuzzy, moved to Exham on Sea to start a new life after the end of her terrible marriage. She works
Diana
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Classified as a cozy mystery, "Murder at the Lighthouse" is a light walk through a small town where everyone knows everyone else's background and business - maybe. The protaganist, Libby, is fairly new to town where she has landed after the death of her husband. She should be filling her days developing and testing new recipes for the cookbook she has promised her publisher, but events get in her way when she discovers the body of Suzie Bennett, who group up in Exham on Sea but made it big as a ...more
John Lee
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is the first of a series that my wife found and added to our library . From the precis on Goodreads, it looked just right for my next read - a local (ish) village who-done-it.

Unfortunately, it failed to deliver for me on many fronts. I dislike the new word 'Lite' but it feels right to describe this one. It lacks depth or calories that would have made a much more satisfying read. Perhaps that is also why, it also lacks the usual length.

As for the heroine of the story, Libby Forest, I found i
Damaskcat
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Libby works at a bakery and is writing a cookery book. She is walking a friend's dog along the beach when she discovers a woman's body. Was it accident, suicide or murder? Libby is naturally curious especially when she discovers that the dead woman grew up in Exham and left to make her fortune in the US. But the police don't want amateurs interfering in their investigation and Libby is warned about asking too many questions.

Sometimes the first book in a series is too busy scene setting for the r
Karen
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Yesterday I read Frances Eyesham's Murder at the Lighthouse. This is a English based cozy mystery and it is currently a free one at time of posting this review on Amazon. My friend Lisa recommended it to me knowing how much I love cozy mysteries and Lighthouses. This is a great setting and I loved the opening chapter of the book. I found main character Libby really easy to relate too, her chance at a new life and a new start somewhere small and picturesque is really appealing. Learning more abou ...more
Tony Hisgett
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, review
This wasn’t a bad little mystery and Libby may well prove to be an interesting heroine. However, there a few problems with the story, Libby uncovers the murderer, but how she got there was a bit of a mystery, there were definitely gaps in the logic.
Nevertheless I quite liked Libby and the addition of Mandy and Bear were enough to make up for her not being particularly ‘different’.
At the moment I willing to give the book the benefit of the doubt and will read the next one, but I hope there will
Evelyn Morgan
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is first in a series of British mysteries set by the sea in England. I enjoyed it and would be likely to check into later books in the series. The author does a great job of getting you into the setting and setting up the crime scene and subsequent solution. Not a bad example of cozy mysteries.
Betty
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this story surprisingly well-written. Good plot, excellent description and conversation that flowed nicely without being stilted. I'll definitely read more in the series.
Laurie Way
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This read was pretty good. It was a quick read but held my interest. I enjoyed the characters and the mystery was satisfying.
Carol J. Hudson
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Drama in Fnglish Countryside

A body is found by a lighthouse and the hunt begins to learn who she is. A local woman who is budding author starts searching for the killer. She makes many new friends and one enemy along with an interesting man she hopes will become more.
Olga Miret
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Murders, Secrets, Pets, Cakes and a Survivor Who Won’t Take No for an Answer. I am reviewing this book as part of Rosie’s Book Review Team. Thanks to Rosie and to the author for sending me a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
This is the first book I’ve read by the author although I had come across a number of excellent reviews of some of her other books and I was intrigued by this novella that promised an easy and entertaining read. And it does deliver it.
The description recommends the
N.A. Granger
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Murder at the Lighthouse is a frothy confection of a short, cozy mystery. This is one of a series of short tales of murder, and I’m looking forward to reading more of them.
Libby Forest was trapped for years in an abusive marriage, and after her husband dies, she takes some of the money from the sale of their house and buys a cottage in Exham on Sea, a small inbred coastal town. She is determined to become part of the local community and hopes eventually to open a patisserie and chocolate shop.
Karen
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book introduces Libby Forest and her cat Fuzzy. Walking a neighbour's dog, she comes across a body near the lighthouse. Her inner sleuth tells her that there's something fishy.

With Murder at the Lighthouse, Frances Evesham has created a nicely woven suspense story with local flair. The story comprises a broad variety of lovingly elaborated characters with sufficient depth and interesting interactions to solve the murder case. I had a great time reading Murder at the Lighthouse - it is a ver
Gita Reddy
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: r4r
Murder at the Lighthouse is, as the name suggests, a murder mystery. A body is found on the beach, and is followed by the death of an old woman living alone. The local police pass the first one as a suicide and the second, an accident.
Libby is the one who discovers the bodies. She is convinced the deaths are by murder and follows up on her intuition with some Miss Marple like sleuthing.
Murder at the Light House is a well written, quick, enjoyable read. It is Highly Recommended for those who lik
Elizabeth Ducie
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is very accurately described as a cosy murder. There's no blood and guts, no sex, explicit or otherwise, but a death, clues, red herrings and a satisfying conclusion. The characters make an interesting entrance and promise more in future books. Definitely one for lovers of Agatha Christie or Midsomer Murders. A most enjoyable read.
David Gilchrist
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this cozy crime book, just the thing for a pleasant read. Agatha christie type ending
Joe Arieno
May 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
Not my cup of tea. Main character, Libby, not believable as sleuth and there were holes in progress of story.
Pamela Beckford
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
A light read with a little mystery and a little romance.
Honeybee
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I got this eBook free from Amazon Kindle. I really like it when authors I am unfamiliar with offer their books this way. It's quite often an opportunity for me to discover new favorites.

This book was a quick and pleasant read. While it is not a Christian book, as I prefer, it was clean and wholesome. There was no profanity, no proprietary sex, no graphic violence or substance abuse. The characters do engage in a bit of social drinking and enjoy a glass of wine at dinner and to unwind, but there
Petra Beck
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a rather short "Cosy Mystery" with a principally interesting storyline and well written, but it also falls foul of a number of cliches. The police is stupid and clueless and needs to be helped along by an amateur sleuth. Said amateur sleuth goes out of her way to interfere and find evidence, even going as far as breaking in (as you do). Only then to NOT give the evidence to the police but plodding on themselves, because said police is hell-bent to ignore anything which points to murder. ...more
Kim
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, readharder-19
This is my book for the #ReadHarder prompt: A cozy mystery (14)

A body is found under the lighthouse on the beach of a small town, by a relative newcomer to the town, Libby.
The body is discovered to be that of a pretty famous export of the small town who everyone has an opinion about, mostly not good.

Libby and Max, one of the town residents, and the head cop's father, set to investigating the death when the cops decide it was an accident. A second death and they know they are right.

This is a rea
JJ
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
A body is discovered by Libby Forest when walking her dog past a lighthouse. Libby is a widow, but from an unhappy marriage and a baker of some note.
She is fairly new to the area, but has got a job there and is a member of various societies so she can more fully integrate.
For some reason she feels the police are not doing their job diligently enough and decides to investigate. (I don't think this was something she did in the past but heyho, what else are you going to do). The conundrum is why ha
  • Cleansed by Fire
  • Almost Sleighed (Maple Syrup Mysteries, #3)
  • Crossing Values (Crossing #1)
  • One Spoonful of Trouble (The Mysteries of Bell & Whitehouse, #1)
  • Death at the Café (Reverend Annabelle Dixon Mystery #0.5)
  • Storm (Western Hearts #2)
  • Go, Ivy, Go! (Ivy Malone Mysteries, #5)
  • Depth of Deception (A Titanic Murder Mystery)
  • Moving can be Murder (Baby Boomer Mystery, #2)
  • What Happened on Beale Street (Secrets of the South Mysteries #2)
  • Grace to the Finish (A Manor House Mystery, #8)
  • Aunt Bessie Decides (Isle of Man #4)
  • Deceptive (On the Run, #3)
  • Rain Dance
  • Heaven's Prey (Redemption's Edge, #1)
  • The Marsh Madness (Book Collector Mystery, #4)
  • Collared For Murder (Pet Boutique, #3)
  • The Surest Poison (Sid Chance Mysteries, #1)

Exham on Sea Mysteries (6 books)
  • Murder on the Levels (Exham on Sea Mysteries #2)
  • Murder on the Tor (Exham on Sea Mysteries #3)
  • Murder at the Cathedral (Exham on Sea Mysteries #4)
  • Murder at the Bridge: An Exham on Sea Cosy Murder Mystery (Exham on Sea Mysteries Book 5)
  • Murder at the Castle: An Exham on Sea Mystery Whodunnit (Exham on Sea Mysteries Book 6)