Start by marking “Tom Sawyer, Detective” as Want to Read:
Tom Sawyer, Detective

Read Book* *Different edition

Tom Sawyer, Detective (The Adventures of Tom and Huck #4)

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  1,561 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
Classic CD Books speaks new life into Mark Twain's greatest detective story. In this once-celebrated sequel of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, Tom and Huck get rescued from spring fever by a serendipitous trip to visit Tom's Uncle Silas. But little did the family know, Tom would be the one to rescue Uncle Silas -- and from much more.
Paperback
Published February 1st 2001 by Blue Unicorn Editions (first published 1896)

To ask other readers questions about Tom Sawyer, Detective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tom Sawyer, Detective

Joe
Jun 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Tom Sawyer Detective. Wow.
Ever seen the Bad News Bears? Walter Matthau and Tatum O'Neal? Pretty good movie. Then they came out with Bad News Bears, Breaking Training and then Bad News Bears Go To Japan. Tom Sawyer Detective serves as the "Bad News Bears Go to Japan" installment of the Tom/Huck franchise.

Yeah, Twain was milking it, but I have to admit this book is still worth reading if only for Twain's inimitable style. In this episode, Tom's uncle goes on trial for murder and Tom Sawyer ends u
Frahorus
Twain stavolta trasforma una nuova avventura di Tom Sawyer e Huck (ormai inseparabili) in una vera e propria indagine poliziesca. Si legge in poche ore. Gli avvenimenti di questa storia, processo incluso, sono realmente accaduti e sembra una puntata di CSI (con cadavere compreso e scagionamento di quello che era erroneamente creduto il vero assassino).
Kaisser
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Samuel Langhorne Clemens are you for real? It is a big disappointment to find out that this last sequel has been the most tedious novella I have ever read in my entire life. I really enjoyed The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer Abroad. However, Tom Sawyer, Detective? It wasn't a part of this relish. It was predictable and somniferous. I expected it to be fueled by well-wrought suspense yet it did not keep me in suspense at all.
Ðawn
Read as part of a collection

see review here:

scroll all the way down to find the title.
Amy
Sep 14, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a reason Tom Sawyer, Detective remains almost unheard of. A very, very good reason.
From a literary standpoint, it is awful. The mystery is dramatic and improbable. I had the "murder" figured out almost from the start. The only interesting bit was when Tom's Uncle Silas initially got blamed. However, even that wasn't very well explained. The fact that a court room would allow a teenager to just interrupt the proceedings and spin a dramatic tale is hard enough to swallow. But that they w
Bernard
Jan 15, 2009 rated it liked it
As I enjoyed "Tom Sawyer," and really enjoyed "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn," which I considered quite a subversive book (which is a big plus for me), I thought this would provide me double enjoyment -- detective fiction and revisiting with Tom and Huck. Well, it wasn't much of a mystery, and though it is narrated by Huck, Huck seems less authentic than in his own book, and is even somewhat citified -- and not dressed as shabbily as elsewhere. Even in "Tom Sawyer," he is characterized as s ...more
Thom Swennes
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tom Sawyer-Detective by Mark Twain is a lesser known codicil to Huckleberry Finn. This twisting tale of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry sees them back down south looking for new adventures. Like the well-known predecessors, this is a beautifully written tale of youth. This short story should be read by all Twain lovers. Published in 1896 this supplement adds more color to both unforgettable characters. I recommend this book to all reading lovers.
Joey the J in R.J. Spindle
Chapter 1: An Invitation for Tom and Huck

I knew before I started reading that this story was going to be too short. I really know it after reading this first chapter. I have fallen in love with the narrative. Just as I did as a kid reading 'Huck Finn." I assumed this would be more of a "Tom Sawyer" tale, due to the title and all, but it's more like Huck. Huck is narrating. Tom is being clever. These two are just awesome together.

Also, this story seems more and more like a fanfic to me. Twain him
Doreen
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't even know this existed till I stumbled across a free Kindle copy. It's really a novella (about 80 pages) of what happens when Tom and Huck get entangled in a murder mystery, based on an actual case that Mark Twain freely admits to using in the opening paragraphs. It's an entertaining story set in the Tom Sawyer universe but nothing dreadfully ground-breaking (tho I did learn a bit more about the times and laws. I'm still astonished that a barely adolescent Tom was his Uncle Silas' de fa ...more
Janelle
I can see why this wasn't as successful as the first two books in the series. It took me a little while to get into it, I was a bit ho hum in the beginning. But I enjoyed it more as a went along. You have to stretch your mind a little to accept the plot. And of course, the book is a reflection of its times and setting.
Claire
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Wonderful little Twain novella that gets you back in the mood for adventures. Tom's antics and Huck's musings are hilarious but brilliant! It's most all of the good elements of both previous boos squished into a hundred pages.
Maria João Fernandes
"Se pusessem diante de nós um mistério e um pastel, a escolha nem necessitava de ser recomendada, estava feita por si só."

"Tom Sawyer Detective" segue os livros "As Aventuras de Tom Sawyer", "As Aventuras de Huckleberry Finn" e "As Viagens de Tom Sawyer".

Huck Finn é o nosso narrador e, juntamente com Tom Saywer, é o protagonista numa história de mistério que envolve diamantes roubados, um estranho peculiar, um irmão gémeo supostamente desaparecido, uma caça ao homem, um cadáver e uma confissão d
Rachel Craig
Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn visit Aunt Sally and Uncle Silas again to solve a murder most foul. Honestly, while this is a good book, Tom Sawyer is not a particularly exciting detective to follow. I am glad the last three books in the Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn series are narrated by Huck, so that's a plus. Not as memorable or baffling as Tom Sawyer Abroad, and neither book three or book four are on par with The Adventures of Tom Sawyer or The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
Eimad
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
The first time I ever heard of Tom Sawyer's name is from Lost TV series, perhaps as a tribute to Mark Twain judging from other character's name. Tom Sawyer has that likeable breadth of confidence flowing through him and completed with his intelligence and sharp eyes. I particularly enjoyed his "performance" if I may say that in the court. He certainly know how to work a crowd or as Huck Finn put it "the effect".
Steve
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
This one isn't really a novel, so it took only 75 minutes to read, which is good, because despite moments of wit and the always welcome voice of Huck Finn, this is a story that falls somewhere between Scooby Doo Where Are You and Murder She Wrote for fans of murder mystery. Pleasant enough, and I may have loved it at age 12, but I think it's the least of Twain's writing so far. Of course, I'm a terrible judge of YA literature, and that's really what this is.
Duffy Pratt
Apr 29, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, classic
At least it's short. I probably would have thought this was OK if it didn't purport to be in Huck Finn's voice. As an ordinary short story, without Huck and Tom, it would be at least mildly diverting. But as a mash-up, it didn't work for me at all. But like I said, it's short.
John
I actually liked this better than either TOM SAWYER (too childish) or HUCKLEBERRY FINN (too episodic). It comes across as a YA version of Sherlock Holmes, only set in the deep South.
Petculescu Ionut
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very good ending.
Jessica
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Like a cheesy infomercial, Mark Twain could not help but say, "but wait there's more!" After The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain wrote a sequel called Tom Sawyer, Detective which was also the prequel to Tom Sawyer Abroad. Mark Twain used this book, and others, to entertain audiences everywhere. This entertainment is brought through Twain's ability to help remove the reader from their average lives and drop them into the life of Huck Finn. He starts the story with, "Well it was the nex ...more
tomasawyer
J'ai retrouvé tout ce que je n'aime pas dans les policiers. Les coïncidences trop grosses pour être vrai, les fausses pistes qui ne servent qu'à embrouiller et le génie qui dans les deux dernières pages expliquent comment il a tout compris sans poser aucune question à qui que ce soit juste en observant devant une assemblée béate d'admiration. Le jour où je tomberai sur un roman policier dans lequel l'enquêteur a l'air d'en chier, s'égare sur de fausses pistes et découvre à la sueur de son front ...more
Eduarda
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
li esse livro faz anos mas até hoje me lembro a minha emoção lendo AQUELE plot twist. clássico bem escrito, icônico e fácil de entender sem enrolação pra fingir que é culto e filosófico. vc quer, james joyce?
Matt
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Humorous, minor Twain. I think I would put this a notch above Tom Sawyer Abroad, but the funniest parts of TSA were funnier than the funniest parts of TSD.
Brian Collins
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tom and Huck never get old.
Denise
Nov 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Felt like the shortest and least funny of the Huck and Tom books.
Hank Pharis
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is obviously not as good as the original books but still its fun to revisit these famous characters. Tom proves here to be even more resourceful.
David
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cask-wine
Persisted but not to my taste. Know its a classic but not interested in murder/mystery/crime let alone fictional historical crime. Will try a few other books by Mr Clements
Ira Livingston
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s a shame that Twain needed to keep returning to his beloved character because of desperation. Although this volume is closer to the original adventure stories, rather than the extremely far fetched “Tom Sawyer Abroad” it still seems rushed.

This takes us back to his Uncle being charged with murder, and Tom and Huck are able to clear his name. The beginning of the story is actually really well and interesting, but when it gets to the actual trial. Tom essentially becomes his lawyer and through
Lacee Peebles
Mar 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
sabisteb
Seit den Abenteuer Huckleberry Finns ist ein Jahr vergangen. Es ist wieder Frühling, als die beiden Jungen eine Einladung von Onkel Silas aus Arkansaw erhalten. Es gibt Ärger mit einem reichen, mächtigen Nachbarn. Brace Dunlap wollte Silas älteste Tochter Benny heiraten, diese jedoch weigerte sich. Um Brace ein wenig zu beschwichtigen, nahm Silas dessen nichtsnutzigen Bruder Jubiter in Dienst, obwohl er sich das eigentlich nicht leisten kann. Nun ist Jubiter verschwunden und man gibt Silas die S ...more
Benja
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. This love was cemented early on through picture books and abridged books and Disney's animated cannibalization. When I eventually read Mark Twain's original work, I went through catharsis. And after leaving through Huckleberry Finn, which I had already experienced in a similar case of pop culture osmosis, I was just as satisfied.

And then I found this novel, Tom Sawyer, Detective, which might as well have been called Tom Sawyer in Space. Surely this was a pos
  • A Dog of Flanders
  • Toby Tyler, or Ten Weeks with a Circus
  • Morning Star
  • The Happy Hollisters and the Cowboy Mystery (Happy Hollisters, #20)
  • D'ARTAGNAN ROMANCES: The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After, The Vicomte de Bragelonne, Ten Years Later, Louise de la Valliere, The Man in the Iron Mask (FLT Classics Series)
  • American Indian Fairy Tales
  • Thin Ice
  • Tarzan Series (Tarzan, #1-8)
  • The Mystery of Cloomber
  • The Holy Bible - American Standard Version (ASV)
  • টি-রেক্সের সন্ধানে
  • The Trail of the Lonesome Pine
  • The Ghost in the Third Row (Nina Tanleven, #1)
  • Before Adam
  • Words of Stone
  • রূপালী মাকড়সা (তিন গোয়েন্দা, #৩)
  • Collected Novels: Fanshawe / The Scarlet Letter / The House of the Seven Gables / The Blithedale Romance / The Marble Fawn
  • Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman (A.J. Raffles, The Gentleman Thief #1)
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work
More about Mark Twain

The Adventures of Tom and Huck (4 books)
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
  • Tom Sawyer Abroad
“Because in my nature I have always run to pie, whilst in his nature he has always run to mystery.” 3 likes
“I felt gay” 0 likes