Start by marking “Tom Sawyer, Detective” as Want to Read:
Tom Sawyer, Detective

Read Book* *Different edition

Tom Sawyer, Detective

(The Adventures of Tom and Huck #4)

Tom Sawyer attempts to solve a mysterious murder in this burlesque of the immensely popular detective novels of the time. Like Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, the story is told using the first-person narrative voice of Huck Finn.
Paperback
Published February 1st 2001 by Blue Unicorn Editions (first published 1896)

To ask other readers questions about Tom Sawyer, Detective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tom Sawyer, Detective

Joe
Jun 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Tom Sawyer Detective. Wow.
Ever seen the Bad News Bears? Walter Matthau and Tatum O'Neal? Pretty good movie. Then they came out with Bad News Bears, Breaking Training and then Bad News Bears Go To Japan. Tom Sawyer Detective serves as the "Bad News Bears Go to Japan" installment of the Tom/Huck franchise.

Yeah, Twain was milking it, but I have to admit this book is still worth reading if only for Twain's inimitable style. In this episode, Tom's uncle goes on trial for murder and Tom Sawyer ends u
Quirkyreader
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was a further adventure of Tom and Huck and it takes place after “Huckleberry Finn”.
Sergei Ter-Tumasov
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Нормальный детектив для детей! По крайней мере, моему младшему брату очень понравилось. До такой степени понравилось, что он не отставал от меня, пока я не дочитал книгу до конца (крайне редкий случай!!!!). Это всё было когда я (вернее, мы) читал книгу в первый раз. Сейчас же я её перечитал в оригинале и особо не разочаровался. Тут, как минимум (в отличие от третьей части) есть достаточно увлекательный сюжет, есть тайна, даже есть некоторые хитросплетения сюжета!!! Правда, Том Сойер изображён не ...more
Jim
This is a novella featuring Tom Sawyer at his best. The events are related by Huck Finn. The boys have to go back to Arkansas & help their Uncle Silas & Aunt Sally who are in quite a pickle. By sheer coincidence, they run into the man that helps them unlock the mystery & Tom Sawyer has his day in court. It's a lot of fun. Well narrated by Grover Gardner.
JZ
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Christie, he ain't. If the writing weren't as humorous as it is, I would have abandoned. Meh.
Dawn
Read as part of a collection

see review here:

scroll all the way down to find the title.
Illiterate
Feb 13, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not much of a detective story. Even less of a spoof.
Amy
Sep 14, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a reason Tom Sawyer, Detective remains almost unheard of. A very, very good reason.
From a literary standpoint, it is awful. The mystery is dramatic and improbable. I had the "murder" figured out almost from the start. The only interesting bit was when Tom's Uncle Silas initially got blamed. However, even that wasn't very well explained. The fact that a court room would allow a teenager to just interrupt the proceedings and spin a dramatic tale is hard enough to swallow. But that they w
Bernard
Jan 15, 2009 rated it liked it
As I enjoyed "Tom Sawyer," and really enjoyed "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn," which I considered quite a subversive book (which is a big plus for me), I thought this would provide me double enjoyment -- detective fiction and revisiting with Tom and Huck. Well, it wasn't much of a mystery, and though it is narrated by Huck, Huck seems less authentic than in his own book, and is even somewhat citified -- and not dressed as shabbily as elsewhere. Even in "Tom Sawyer," he is characterized as s ...more
Thom Swennes
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tom Sawyer-Detective by Mark Twain is a lesser known codicil to Huckleberry Finn. This twisting tale of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry sees them back down south looking for new adventures. Like the well-known predecessors, this is a beautifully written tale of youth. This short story should be read by all Twain lovers. Published in 1896 this supplement adds more color to both unforgettable characters. I recommend this book to all reading lovers.
Joseph Gagnon
Chapter 1: An Invitation for Tom and Huck

I knew before I started reading that this story was going to be too short. I really know it after reading this first chapter. I have fallen in love with the narrative. Just as I did as a kid reading 'Huck Finn." I assumed this would be more of a "Tom Sawyer" tale, due to the title and all, but it's more like Huck. Huck is narrating. Tom is being clever. These two are just awesome together.

Also, this story seems more and more like a fanfic to me. Twain him
Doreen
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't even know this existed till I stumbled across a free Kindle copy. It's really a novella (about 80 pages) of what happens when Tom and Huck get entangled in a murder mystery, based on an actual case that Mark Twain freely admits to using in the opening paragraphs. It's an entertaining story set in the Tom Sawyer universe but nothing dreadfully ground-breaking (tho I did learn a bit more about the times and laws. I'm still astonished that a barely adolescent Tom was his Uncle Silas' de fa ...more
Janelle
I can see why this wasn't as successful as the first two books in the series. It took me a little while to get into it, I was a bit ho hum in the beginning. But I enjoyed it more as a went along. You have to stretch your mind a little to accept the plot. And of course, the book is a reflection of its times and setting.
Claire
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Wonderful little Twain novella that gets you back in the mood for adventures. Tom's antics and Huck's musings are hilarious but brilliant! It's most all of the good elements of both previous boos squished into a hundred pages.
Maria João Fernandes
"Se pusessem diante de nós um mistério e um pastel, a escolha nem necessitava de ser recomendada, estava feita por si só."

"Tom Sawyer Detective" segue os livros "As Aventuras de Tom Sawyer", "As Aventuras de Huckleberry Finn" e "As Viagens de Tom Sawyer".

Huck Finn é o nosso narrador e, juntamente com Tom Saywer, é o protagonista numa história de mistério que envolve diamantes roubados, um estranho peculiar, um irmão gémeo supostamente desaparecido, uma caça ao homem, um cadáver e uma confissão d
Rachel Craig
Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn visit Aunt Sally and Uncle Silas again to solve a murder most foul. Honestly, while this is a good book, Tom Sawyer is not a particularly exciting detective to follow. I am glad the last three books in the Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn series are narrated by Huck, so that's a plus. Not as memorable or baffling as Tom Sawyer Abroad, and neither book three or book four are on par with The Adventures of Tom Sawyer or The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
Eimad
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
The first time I ever heard of Tom Sawyer's name is from Lost TV series, perhaps as a tribute to Mark Twain judging from other character's name. Tom Sawyer has that likeable breadth of confidence flowing through him and completed with his intelligence and sharp eyes. I particularly enjoyed his "performance" if I may say that in the court. He certainly know how to work a crowd or as Huck Finn put it "the effect".
Steve
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
This one isn't really a novel, so it took only 75 minutes to read, which is good, because despite moments of wit and the always welcome voice of Huck Finn, this is a story that falls somewhere between Scooby Doo Where Are You and Murder She Wrote for fans of murder mystery. Pleasant enough, and I may have loved it at age 12, but I think it's the least of Twain's writing so far. Of course, I'm a terrible judge of YA literature, and that's really what this is.
Duffy Pratt
Apr 29, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, classic
At least it's short. I probably would have thought this was OK if it didn't purport to be in Huck Finn's voice. As an ordinary short story, without Huck and Tom, it would be at least mildly diverting. But as a mash-up, it didn't work for me at all. But like I said, it's short.
John
I actually liked this better than either TOM SAWYER (too childish) or HUCKLEBERRY FINN (too episodic). It comes across as a YA version of Sherlock Holmes, only set in the deep South.
Petculescu Ionut
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very good ending.
The Fat
Aug 27, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well if anything this gave me a greater appreciation for Tom Sawyer Abroad, the other ostensible sequel to "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn." I say other sequel because as far as "Tom Sawyer, Detective" is concerned "Tom Sawyer Abroad" must have never happened as it is not made reference to in the slightest. It seems that at some point there were two timelines that digressed from "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" not that it really matters I guess.

Interestingly enough though this novel's setting
Jessica
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Like a cheesy infomercial, Mark Twain could not help but say, "but wait there's more!" After The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain wrote a sequel called Tom Sawyer, Detective which was also the prequel to Tom Sawyer Abroad. Mark Twain used this book, and others, to entertain audiences everywhere. This entertainment is brought through Twain's ability to help remove the reader from their average lives and drop them into the life of Huck Finn. He starts the story with, "Well it was the nex ...more
Donna
Just finished listening to the audiobook “TOM SAWYER, DETECTIVE” by MARK TWAIN, narrated by MATT ARMSTRONG. It's spring — and both Tom and Huck have a bad case of spring fever, a malady that's instantly cured when Tom is asked by his Aunt Sally to come as soon as he can to "Arkansaw." It seems that Uncle Silas is in considerable trouble and needs some help. Huck Finn narrates this lesser-known tale of the duo's adventures as they set out down river by steamer. Arriving at their destination, Tom ...more
tomasawyer
J'ai retrouvé tout ce que je n'aime pas dans les policiers. Les coïncidences trop grosses pour être vrai, les fausses pistes qui ne servent qu'à embrouiller et le génie qui dans les deux dernières pages expliquent comment il a tout compris sans poser aucune question à qui que ce soit juste en observant devant une assemblée béate d'admiration. Le jour où je tomberai sur un roman policier dans lequel l'enquêteur a l'air d'en chier, s'égare sur de fausses pistes et découvre à la sueur de son front ...more
Shaun Dyer
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Tom Sawyer, Detective is the fourth and final Tom Sawyer book and ends the series on something of a high after the disappointment of Tom Sawyer, Abroad. For a short story Twain certainly manages to cram in plenty of adventure with man hunts, heists and courtroom drama all making an appearance.

The characters of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn are still great to read, even if they are a little out of their wheelhouse in this detective setting.

Tom Sawyer, Detective is a fun short story that zips along n
Weathervane
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Fun little romp, and if I'm not mistaken the last written story featuring our friends Huck and Tom. I enjoyed these one-off tales -- the other being the fantastical Jules Verne-esque balloon ride Tom Sawyer Abroad -- and half-wish Twain had scribbled more of them, even knowing he was doing them for quick cash. But all things must come to an end eventually. Was good to know you boys, because there's nothing like reading Mark Twain adventures while you're in the middle of Mark Twain National Fores ...more
Erwin
Tom Sawyer and Hulk Finn are back again in this 1896 work by Mark Twain.
Twain takes the boys into the world of detective mysteries which were the rage at the time with the Sherlock home mysteries.
Huck narrates as Tom helps his Uncle Silas as an 'assistant' lawyer in a trial for murder. Tom does some interesting 'deductions' of the facts and it is a fun read.
Twain fans will enjoy it most.
Debalina
3.5 stars actually... the plot is pretty bland but I like th way Mark Twain writes even if the words, the spellings aren't exactly what we use today and the same goes for the sentence formation and the usage... but there is a little charm in the way the describes the world out there and the (around)1880s world lllooking back from the 21st century is nice to visit and spend time in... :)
Andy
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting. Had never seen this growing up when I was reading about Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn so it caught my eye. Found the main story to be interesting but the other short stories contained in the book were very out there.

• A Dog of Flanders
  • Morning Star
  • The Happy Hollisters and the Cowboy Mystery (Happy Hollisters, #20)
  • Toby Tyler, or Ten Weeks with a Circus
  • Tarzan Series (Tarzan, #1-8)
  • The Mystery of Cloomber
  • Secret of the Pyramids (Choose Your Own Adventure, #19)
  • The Ghost in the Third Row (Nina Tanleven, #1)
  • D'ARTAGNAN ROMANCES: The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After, The Vicomte de Bragelonne, Ten Years Later, Louise de la Valliere, The Man in the Iron Mask (FLT Classics Series)
  • The Curse of the Pharaoh (Agatha, Girl of Mystery #1)
  • নিতু আর তার বন্ধুরা
  • রূপালী মাকড়সা (তিন গোয়েন্দা, #৩)
  • The Trail of the Lonesome Pine
  • The Sunny Side: Short Stories and Poems for Proper Grown-Ups
  • When God Laughs and Other Stories
  • The Best Mysteries Of Isaac Asimov
  • Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman (A.J. Raffles, The Gentleman Thief #1)
  • A Terribly Strange Bed
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work

The Adventures of Tom and Huck (4 books)
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
  • Tom Sawyer Abroad
“Because in my nature I have always run to pie, whilst in his nature he has always run to mystery.” 4 likes
“I felt gay” 0 likes