Start by marking “Sell Out” as Want to Read:
Sell Out

Sell Out

Like many elite private schools, Madison High has a legacy steeped in traditions, none of which revolve around learning. Survival is simple: keep your head down, don’t say a word, and never question school royalty.

Published September 26th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Sell Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sell Out

Start your review of Sell Out
Michelle Bolanger
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sell Out by Tammy L Gray
From the cover:

Cody James, a former victim of Madison’s vicious brand of hazing, wants nothing more than to graduate without breaking the unspoken rules that could land him back in social exile. Cody has breached the elusive inner circle, and he has no intentio
Rebekah
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am seriously impressed with Gray's writing. She writes so smoothly. You never have to reread something trying to figure out what the author was trying to say. Her characters are very well developed in this book. I have to admit I spent most of this book with my stomach in knots. The subject matter was very intense and the characters pain so very real. I very much liked the resolution in the end, there was no neat little bow, no empty promises, just an honest resolution that was very possible.
I
Tessa Palmeri
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Deeper (and better) than the typical YA book about bullying

I really enjoyed this novel by Tammy L. Gray. The plot was realistic, well paced and flowed naturally. Character development was great - there was believable personal evolvement and I cared about what would happen to them. I appreciate the author’s subtle use of Skylar’s faith to give her hope and peace without religion being shoved in the reader’s face. I can’t wait to read more from this author!
Anita
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I Loved: I want to take this book and put it into the hands of every single teenager and force them to read it. If not this one, then one like it. Sell Out tackles the growing issue present in schools – bullying. As a parent of three pre-teens who attend public school, it’s a topic I discuss semi-frequently and it's one very, very close to my heart.

I feel like Mrs. Gray really took this story and wove it to make it so real and believable, and still spoke a message to the readers. The messag
Linh
3 1/2 Stars. Had to read because the cover is so stinkin' cute!
Triggers: bullying
Although they frustrated me in some parts of the book I enjoyed the Hero, he had struggles he needed to work through. Heroine was annoying, but was somewhat redeemed at the end.
Clean romance with no sexy time scenes.
Safety: (view spoiler)
Natalie
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Emily White
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, 2018
This is a moving story that focuses on high school bullying. The characters' emotions feel raw and real to the point that, even though I was sure things would work out in the end, I found myself torn over the fates of these poor people. And yet, there was a lot of hope and love to balance it out. It is a Christian book, but the references to God didn't feel forced. The quality of the writing was also excellent, so I would definitely recommend this one.
Nikki
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
In a school where you are either the bullied or the bully, Cody attempts to stay in the in-crowd until he meets Skylar. This was an interesting look at bullying culture.
It lost one star for me for getting religiousy. I hadn't realised this was meant to be Christian fiction until almost halfway through the book. Just when things started getting emotional, people started looking to God to fix everything for them which was quite off-putting.
Apart from all the religious stuff, it was a great book.
Carolyn
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you don't pity Fatty James, you don't have a heart. From the first page, Tammy L. Gray builds sympathy for Cody “Fatty” James, who despite his exterior transformation, remains the bitter, bullied kid degraded by his peers in the boys’ locker room.

By shedding pounds and building muscle, Cody has earned a place among school royalty, a place that once attained, he’s uncertain he wants. Despite his singular focus on getting through the remainder of high school, his wounded heart still bleeds for
Tawny
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have read almost every single book written by Tammy L. Gray, and none have had the impact on me that Sell Out did. Cody James is a guy who just wants to fly by. After being a victim of bullying at Madison High, all he wants to do is finish his time in school and get out without being cast from the social inner circle. However, with the addition of a beautiful, new student in class, Cody begins to question his role. All Skylar Wylde wants is normal. Being rock legend Donnie Wylde’s daughter doe ...more
Julie Jobe
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You are not alone! Truth wins! Tammy L. Gray has done an amazing job yet again! She excels at writing about tough situations and then bringing light, truth, and hope out of it all.

Sell Out is written in such a way that you experience the tension the characters are going through as well as just how trapped they feel by the situations they find themselves in. But she doesn't leave it there! By the end, you know that no matter what you are going through, you are not alone and that truth will prevai
❤️Melanie G.
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book about bullying and finding strength within yourself to break free of what everyone expects of you and do what is best for you and helping others along the way.

Cody is lost and trying to find his way. Bullied and then brought up to legend status within high school ranks is taking a toll on him because moving up the social ladder does cost.

Skylar is dealing with denial, fitting in and loss. She moves to a new area and gets sucked into the higher status by the biggest bull
Janie Buckley
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Again, I have added another of T. L. Gray's stories to books I hope my teens will read. I have not experienced bullying to this depth before. Nor did I contemplate what could be going on for teens in today's world of social media when it comes to bullying. I was excited to get to know Cody on a deeper level and Skylar...well I was impressed with her on many levels. No spoiler's from me. Awesome book! Thank You to the author for writing in a way that shows us pieces of our own selves that can gro ...more
Karen J Hone
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Riveting

This well-written story is an uncomfortable, emotionally intense exploration of high school bullying. Through Cody, Blake and Lindsey the author explores many aspects of abuse within a sphere that outwardly appears wealthy, attractive and comfortable but is actually a nightmare. Once chubby Cody, and everyone else, is deftly manipulated by societal pressure and codes of silence until it all breaks open in vast ugliness. The ending was a bit too neat but happily satisfying.
Rhonda Moore
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Tear Jerker!

This book really hits close to home. I was bullied when I was younger. I did heal, but I know others going through this now. I will recommend this to all my friend's children, my nieces, and every one of my friends! I give this a five star rating because I think Tammy Gray hit the nail on the head. She shows how it only takes one person to be sting to bring down a bully. Others will follow suit to know that they do indeed have a voice!
Pat
Beautiful and thoughtful story with real-life issues of facing peer pressure and bullying . . . as well as issues of grief, faith, honesty and love. I admit to feeling some intense anxiety throughout much of this book as I waited to see the outcome of Cody's dilemma.

As always, Tammy L. Gray gives us more than a story . . . with issues and characters whom I will remember with heartfelt emotions.
Lootz
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prime
Definitely not my type of book. Somehow I missed in the description that there would be religious undertones which I do not like in my romances. If you are looking for a YA Christian romance, give this a shot. If you like some sexy times in your romances, do not read this book. The characters are interesting, if not fully fleshed out and the bullying storyline is well done.
Linda Syman
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Author is great at stories about tough issues.

This was a powerful book about bullying and forgiveness. The characters are written for high school audiences but I loved the story! In fact don't just stop at this story, read all of the books in the series.
Chelsie williams
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

This story was real, raw, and unfortunately what happens in real life. It's a great story of what happens when your bullied and pressured into doing things you don't want to. Its all in how you handle the bully and mentally move on.
Megan Besing
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book entraps you and doesn't let you go.
Love.
Yes, like a typical Tammy L. Gray book--it has a message, but you're so caught up in the characters lives: their personalities, their struggles, that you feel like you're living it all out. Can't wait for the next in the series.
Alyssa
My most anticipated New Adult book of the year!!
VANESSA M
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book by an amazing author. Sellout addresses the issue of bullying in a realistic and eye-opening way. Tammy you went above and beyond as usual.
Connie Salzman
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A real eye opener

Great read. Couldn't put it down. A realistic story of how bullying really hapoens.

Kept me interested all the way through.
Mojade Adejokun
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved

Bullying is something that will always drive me nuts. This book did a fabulous job addressing it! This is a must read
Terri Lytle
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so well written and characters so well fleshed out, I could not put it down! Usually the free books I download are piles of rubbish, but wow!! What a find!
Sarah Kabli
Jul 01, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There was so much that I did not like about this book: the writing, the plot, the characters...

Bullying is something I'm passionate about, and as far as messages about bullying go, I think this book may present some of the worst ones. What I got after reading this book was that adults that aren't useless are few and far between, and you shouldn't bother going to them for help. Cody goes to the principal to complain about bullying, and the principal ends up threatening Cody. In general, if the sc
Elena Johansen
DNF @ 44%. Partly because I didn't realize this was a Christian romance when I purchased it many moons ago, and when it started getting preachy, I felt relieved to have a solid reason to set it aside when I wasn't enjoying it.

Writing style gripes: Overuse of similes made all the characters sound dramatic, which is not something this narrative needed--it's already melodramatic enough because of its subject matter. The "chapters"--if you can even call them that--were short and choppy, switching be
Crystal
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow

I expected this book to be somewhat fluffy when you consider that the heroine is a rock star’s daughter. It is anything but that. This book touches on many deep subjects through the eyes of two teenagers. I think the author was able to capture a lot of very real emotions. I would not recommend this for very young audiences due to some of the bullying subject matter like a video being posted of a girl having sex. I do think it would be great for parents to read first and then have their teenag
Emock
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn't love the "popular guy" falls for "new girl" storyline? There were even creative "new" elements of the story, such as the "new girl" is actually a VERY confident and self-assured daughter of a celebrity. I enjoyed the message of the story and appreciated the gospel-elements that weren't overly cliche or heavy-handed, but rather enough to intrigue and investigate further.

I did think the character Blake was represented as pretty one-dimensional because he didn't really ever have a backg
Mary Barrett
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five stars

First of all, Mrs Gray , thank you for your witness.
This book really was an excellent example of what damage school bullying can do to someone's mental state and the lives that can be torn apart by the cruelty. Hopefully through books like this and our prayers school bullying can be a thing of the past.
I highly recommend this book . The author has a true talent for bringing emotions out through the in-depth insight into the characters. You almost feel like you're a part of the story.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Mercy's Fight
  • Shackled Lily (Winsor, #2)
  • Splintered Oak (Winsor, #3)
  • Shattered Rose (Winsor, #1)
  • Start With Me
  • Hawthorne & Heathcliff
  • Just Like Home (Harbor Pointe, #4)
  • Ruby Jane (The Montana Marshalls, #5)
  • 18 Hours To Us
  • Undeniably Yours (Porter Family, #1)
  • Ford (The Montana Marshalls, #3)
  • All Who Dream (Letting Go, #3)
  • Not Until Forever (Hope Springs #1)
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
  • The Promise of Rayne
  • Her One and Only (Porter Family, #4)
  • Up in the Treehouse
  • Meant to be Mine (Porter Family, #2)
Tammy L. Gray lives in the Dallas area with her family, and they love all things Texas, even the erratic weather patterns. Her nine modern and true-to-life contemporary romances include 2017 RITA award winning, My Hope Next Door, and show her unending quest to write high quality, culturally relevant stories with relatable and flawed characters.

When not taxiing her three kids to various school and

News & Interviews

“There are things in life you cannot change, no matter how much you want to.” 2 likes
“cheating” 0 likes