Start by marking “Dogwood Days (Holly Creek, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dogwood Days (Holly Creek, #1)

Dogwood Days

(Holly Creek #1)

Small town heroes and big town hearts.

Jefferson Lee Davis is happy with his life in the city until his favorite uncle has a bad fall and he rushes to Holly Creek to make sure Uncle Sherman is okay. Jefferson Lee knows how to navigate small Southern town’s politics and the residents greet him with open arms. Everyone but the town’s sheriff, Zane Yarbrough, that is.

Dogwood
Published October 21st 2015 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Dogwood Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dogwood Days

Start your review of Dogwood Days (Holly Creek, #1)
Gigi

The first thing I want to talk about is THAT COVER! I'm a total cover snob and this one is just about as perfect as can be. And once you read the story, I'm sure you will agree. I loved having that adorable man on the cover in my mind as I pictured main character Jefferson Lee Davis.

The second thing I want to talk about is Poppy Dennison. I am not a paranormal fan so this was the first book I've read by Ms. Dennison. But I had the pleasure of meeting Poppy at GRL 2015 and her enthusiasm and
Exina
I know I'm in minority with my opinion on this book, but it was awful. Believe me, I don't enjoy not enjoying a book.

So, I was seduced by the author (I read Blindsided by her and loved it) and by the pretty cover, and sadly I didn’t pay much attention to the blurb. I don’t enjoy small town stories. I like my stories to focus on the romance and on the main characters. Irrelevant episodes from the lives of caricaturish secondary characters I really don’t care about just bore and annoy me.

I
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
I think I looked like this the entire read.

description

The story just made me feel so good!

It was sweet and funny and clever and OMG I just felt so happy.

description

I honestly didn’t want it to end. It was just such a fast read that I wanted to slow down but couldn’t turn the pages quick enough.

I just want to walk around this town and interact with all the people who live there. I want to know what they are doing every single day.

description

My only disappointment, aside from it ending at all, was how quickly it did. I felt
Jenni Lea
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it

This was charming and adorable. Jefferson Lee was quirky and snarky and just an all around fun character. Zane was, of course, yummilicious. I especially liked that the female secondary character wasn't an evil bitch. No, she was more of a nice bitch (is that an oxymoron?), as in she was bitchy but loveable. I loved Uncle Sherman too. This was a nice, light comfort read.
Sheri
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sometimes you just need cute, silly, fun books. Dogwood Days definitely meets the criteria. Charming meets sassy in this lighthearted story. Small town life can be bitter and sweet. I live in a small town myself and everybody knows everybody’s business. That’s just the way it is. You either suck it up or you get outta dodge. Jefferson fled from the pressure years ago, but finds himself back in the familiar streets of his hometown when family duty calls.

Holly Creek is a little bit like Mayberry
Charlie Cochet
I had the privilege of reading this sweet small town novella and I absolutely loved it! I love Jefferson Lee, loved reading about him returning to the small Southern town of Holly Creek, where everyone knows everyone. Sheriff Zane made me swoon. That man, just *sigh*. The story was just so much fun. Oh, the shenanigans. Also, I seriously need to have me some genuine Southern style cobbler. I laughed, melted, and rooted for these guys all the way.
Ami

I love small-town romance -- where everyone seems to know everyone else and there is a strong sense of community involvement with a douse of neighborhood drama. However, I tend to get my dose of small-town romance from MF contemporary. I haven't found one in MM that fit to my liking. Most of the time I find the character in MM romance cannot wait to leave their small town because of the homophobic attitudes of the people or that they want to embrace their freedom of having more gay
Jessie Potts
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the first contemporary from Poppy (loved the baby alpha bites!) and I really hope this is going to be in audio.

Dogwood Days is a story that has everything I’m looking for on Sunday afternoon, sitting on my porch as my dogs bound through the leaves… too much? Well it sums up how feel good and happy reading DD I was. I’m not saying it’s fluffy or too light, but there was this vibe of small town charm, I could feel the characters’ personalities coming out of my kindle and it was great!

I won
V
Oct 28, 2015 added it
I won't rate this story because is not the author's fault that I skipped so many pages.
This story convince me that I would dislike very much to live in a small town, where everyone seems to know everyone else's business, and gossiping is everyday part of life, 2 things that I can't stand gossiping and people who don't mind their own business and this town have those in abundance.
This story is mostly that, there is hardly any romance and as a couple, Jefferson Lee and Zane bored me to tears.
John The Cosmic Wanderer
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, m-m
I had so much fun reading this! Sweet, charming, adorable and so funny! That Clover girl cracked me up! It made me want to visit Holly Creek, be friends with everyone and live in this town forever. I hope the author would write a follow up to this. More of Jefferson Lee and Sheriff Zane please. A very pleasant surprise and deserves 5 stars from me!

:D :D :D
Tess
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Zero angst and so, so, so freaking cute! Jefferson Lee and Sheriff Zane were adorable and the small town of Holly Creek, plus the myriad of townspeople popping in and out, was a whole lot of good, zany fun.

Honestly, I was grinning and happy all the way through.
Sandra
I adored this book. I adored the characters, the setting, the writing - it was all just fabulously well done, and I want to read it again and again.

There's no drama, no angst, no OMG, what's happening, and it just flows sweetly and fluffily along, like a gentle river without any rapids. This is the kind of book you read when curled up on a comfy chair with a beverage of choice, and just immerse yourself in its story.

Jefferson Lee Davis returns to his hometown to help his uncle Sherman who took
Arch Bala
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blogger, small-town, cops
I super loved Jefferson Lee’s character as well as Zane, Trent (so dreamy!) and Beau but I just find the whole thing too perfect and too cheesy bordering on boring.

What I loved most about it though is how being gay isn’t that big of a deal in this small town from ‘the south.’

Thank you ѦѺ for the recommedation.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
Justin
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Utterly charming and laugh-out-loud funny!

I grew up in a small southern town so this hit close to home in many way. This was a great story with a lot of heart, no angst, plenty of humor and just the right amount of heat.

I hope we get Beau & Trent's story next!
Janeylou
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 0000-sh-recs
Brandon Witt
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most charming stories I have ever read. Completely soothing and humorous from the very first page. If I ever decide to move back to a small town, I want it to be in Holly Creek. And I want to be best friends with Clover Crofton!!!
Dani Elle Maas
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So much fun such a great read
Miss Dennison at her best
I love when she writes contemporary
More Please!!!

Katrina Passick Lumsden
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sweet, funny, and romantic. A quick, satisfying read.
Sara

I am in love with this series. In love, I tell you. I won’t rehash the blurb instead, I’m gonna tell you what I loved… not that I don’t normally do that but, ya know.

Dogwood Days is a charming introduction to an over the top small town named Holly Creek where residents not only know your name and everything you have done, they have also wiped your butt as a baby. This is the type of story that should be made into a movie... it's a shame no one makes good Rom/Com's anymore.

Told from the POV of
ѦѺ™
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, favorites
"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations." - Author Unknown

Jefferson Lee Davis rushes to Holly Creek when his favorite Uncle Sherman has a bad fall. With his uncle unable to go about his normal duties, Jefferson Lee takes over his uncle's blog. As the days turn into weeks, Jefferson Lee finds himself getting more involved in the hustle and bustle of preparing for Dogwood Days - the town's biggest festival. But there is this growing attraction to Sheriff Zane Yarbrough that is
Brandon Witt
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MsMiz (Tina)
This book is so much fun. I want to know these people!!
Kat
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I loved it, hopefully we get more about Jefferson Lee and Zane! And I'd love to read about Uncle Sherman and Mayor Charles, and perhaps Trent and Beau??? *puppy eyes*
Leaundra
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. I loved this town and the people in it! This would honestly make a great series.
Love Bytes Reviews
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 Heart Review by Vicki

Oh. My. Gawd. This was soooo the book I need to read right now. I love deep, dark, angsty books, paranormal, contemporary, or filled with action and drama. But there is only so much of that I can take before I need a taste of something light and happy. This book is that and so much more.

Jefferson Lee Davis (NOT Jeff, or even Jefferson, but Jefferson Lee to his family) is from a small, itty bitty, southern town called Holly Creek. Home of the annual Dogwood Days festival,
Sandra
2.5 stars I'm reeeeeally torn about how to rate this. I love Poppy Dennison and there were components of this that I appreciated. It's a fun, light, and easy read about a charming little North Carolina town with all the quirkiness and warm-fuzzes of a stereotypical close-knit southern town without any of the negativity and close-mindedness you could possibly encounter. The southern aspect was so present and noticeable that it was almost a character in and of itself, this was both an enjoyable ...more
Ari
Nov 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
It started out boring and confusing with so many names threw into few early pages, but as the story goes and I learn better and closer to each of characters, the story gave me warm and nostalgic feeling inside. A peaceful small town with its quirky residents and two guys finding love in each other.

Though it goes with a few complaints off course...

I hate that Jefferson-Zanes first kiss was cut of from the page!
Jefferson reliving memory of the kiss was never the same. Every "first" are worth to be
Sherry
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it

Jefferson is an entertaining character, with lots of zippy comebacks and snarky remarks. The towns people play a large part in the story, which moves quickly. Very charming and enjoyable read.

And it's not a spoiler because it's not a factor in the story...but why the mention of the Delgado murders? Is that from another book?
Arzu
Nov 04, 2015 rated it liked it
3,5 stars
Sharon Schopf
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just loved this book...my interest was kept going..read in 1 1/2 days...keep it up!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Doctor's Date (Copper Point Medical #2)
  • The Doctor's Secret (Copper Point Medical #1)
  • No Quick Fix (Torus Intercession #1)
  • Every Other Weekend
  • Badlands (Badlands, #1)
  • P.S. I Spook You
  • In the Middle of Somewhere (Middle of Somewhere, #1)
  • Mainly by Moonlight (Bedknobs and Broomsticks, #1)
  • His Consort
  • Better Than Friends (Better Than, #3)
  • Forgive and Forget
  • Spencer Cohen, Book One (Spencer Cohen, #1)
  • Better Than Good (Better Than, #1)
  • Rise & Fall (THIRDS, #4)
  • Borrowing Blue (Made Marian, #1)
  • The Monuments Men Murders (The Art of Murder #4)
  • Cast Off (Toronto Tales, #3)
  • Honeymoon for One
Add two parts sass and one part sweet and you have Poppy Dennison to T—sweet tea that is. Raised by a gaggle of Southern women who love reading and have backbones of steel, Poppy was brought up to see the best in people but always speak her mind. Mix it all together, like Grandma’s famous cobbler, and you get a sassy, Southern lady with a quick wit and loads of charm, who will soften any blow with ...more

Holly Creek (2 books)
  • Spring Fever (Holly Creek, #2)