Start by marking “Finding Motherhood: An Unexpected Journey” as Want to Read:
Finding Motherhood: An Unexpected Journey

Finding Motherhood: An Unexpected Journey

“My plan was simple. I would get married, have kids, and live happily ever after. However, life doesn’t always follow the path we plan for ourselves.”

When Jill Murphy became pregnant at the age of seventeen, she was faced with some difficult decisions. Unsure of how to be the mother she knew her child deserved, Murphy chose adoption for her baby.

Years later, after she mar
Published December 8th 2015 by UPrush

To ask other readers questions about Finding Motherhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Motherhood

Start your review of Finding Motherhood: An Unexpected Journey
Andi
Oct 11, 2015 added it
I heard Jill speak at my MOPS group a while back and was captivated by her story. At the time, my sister-in-law was going through adopting a child from China and I was very interested in that part of her story.

But even having heard this story, told under a time limit, it was amazing and wonderful and compelling. I cried when she spoke and again when I read the book. She is so strong and brave to be able to tell this story that is hard to believe all happened to one person. The ways that miracle
Colette Larson
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thought I knew Jill's story, you see, she has been a good friend of mine since we were in college. This book opened my eyes to so much more of what she was going through than what she had chosen to tell all those years ago. I want to thank Jill for sharing all of the details, the raw emotions, both the good & the bad. "Everything happens for a reason". How many times have we heard that? This book examines the choices that were made and the outcomes that occurred because of them. Jill's honesty ...more
Alison
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a powerful book. An insight into the world of both sides of adoption. I couldn't put this book down until I was finished with it. I found it touching, honest and beautiful. Well done Jill. A lovely read.
Kasey
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me by an author friend. I was provided an ARC for my honest review. I can not say enough good about this book. This book is FABULOUS! As a marriage and family therapist I will recommend this book to any woman or child who has gone through adoption, is thinking about adopting, or wondering about their own birth parents. I love that Jill was very candid with her story and honest. She opened herself up emotionally and you can feel it as you read. This is a great book. G ...more
Vicky Palmer
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Authentic! I laughed and cried while reading Finding Motherhood. This book reminds everyone that we all have expectations about how life is "supposed" to happen, yet it rarely occurs that way. As a woman on my own journey of finding motherhood, this book provides the many rewards and difficulties of being a parent. The author captures and shares her journey the way life is meant to be, with love and truth.
Gretchen
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Everyone has a journey! When you can put yours into words and express in such a way others can relate or learn from your experience, even if it is not the same path, you have done something GREAT!
I was so excited to read Jill's book, and it did not disappoint, the way she tells her story, love her descriptive way of writing, and the quotes used throughout, I swear you would think were written for her!
This one's a must read!
Karen Zimmerman
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Motherhood is a universal experience that is uniquely personal. Jill's story is just that. A uniquely personal journey of a teen parent who gives up her child for adoption and years later goes through infertility, adoption of two children and is reunited with the child she gave birth to as a teen. Jill finds motherhood with humor and perspective while never forgetting what she felt at different times along the way. To add to the richness, her son, her husband and two adopted daughters also share ...more
Kendra
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this ebook in exchange for an honest review.
This is such a heartbreaking and heartwarming story. I've been waiting to write my review, trying to gather my thoughts, but there's just so much to cover that I don't think I'll do it justice.
Adoption is something I've never had to consider, thankfully (and I only say that because of the pain that generally leads a person or couple to adoption, either as adopters or adoptees), but I have friends who have, and I can tell you it i
Melissa
I had no idea what to expect when I opened this book. As someone who battled infertility for years before conceiving twins via IVF, I was thrilled to finally see a book that promised to openly talk about the topic.

What I found was a heartwarming story about possibly one of the strongest women ever and the love for her children. Jill Murphy's story could easily be any woman's story who has dealt with adoption and infertility. I appreciated her candidness from her seventeen year old self, right u
Jenn
A quick read. One mother's journey to motherhood, including placing a child for adoption, adopting her daughters after infertility struggles and finally reuniting with her birth son. The book was a quick read, although I wish she would have expanded more on some pieces. However, as a birth mom and adoptive mom, I can understand why she may have skimmed them, whether it was to protect her heart or her childrens' privacy. She also touches on her family's reactions.
I could definitely relate to her
Dina DeLong
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am blessed to call this author my friend. I knew the background of her life and path to motherhood, but I learned so much more reading this book. I was impressed by her letting not just friends in on her touching journey, but strangers as well. I cried and laughed reading this well written, raw and very real story. This book is for everyone...mothers, teens, people who were adopted, people who have adopted or trying to adopt, those trying so hard to have children or just any person who knows t ...more
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a brave lady to put her story out there for everyone to see and judge. So many times you feel alone in the journey to becoming a mom; it's nice to see a real version of what that was like for her. The story is filled with many emotions but the part that played the most with my heart was giving Joshua a hug in the coffee shop. Brought tears to my eyes. The other part that really spoke to me was about how we envision how our life should be how we expect it to be and the reality of what we hav ...more
Rhonda
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love it. What great insight and sharing. Her honesty in telling this story of her journey was heartwarming. No pretenses just honest, from the heart story telling. Recommend this for everyone to read. Great story of one journey and experience with adoption. Couldn't stop reading it! Given copy for an honest review.
Lori
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
A touching story written by a dear college friend of mine. The road of life brings us many bumps along the way, this brave women has her share of bumps in the road to navigate. I've always admired her positive outlook and energetic spirit. She is blessed with the love of an amazing family, even if it has not quite ended up being as traditional as planned.
Erin
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Finding Motherhood was a fresh window into both sides of adoption. I enjoyed reading about her perspective as a mother who gave up her son when she was young and then went on to adopt two daughters. I enjoyed Finding Motherhood.
Peggy
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**SPOILER FREE**

A very intriguing book that's told from the heart! Well written with an easy flow. This book can be read in one setting, that's how good it is. What's behind this cover is a story no like no other! An amazing book!

*Received for an honest review*
ItaPixie
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
Beautiful!

This story is really touching and gave me so much strength.
I'm so glad Jill's journey has a happy ending.
Kelly M
Brad- Cynthia
Apr 08, 2016
ninadin2
Mar 07, 2016
Jill M. Murphy is an author, blogger, assistant preschool teacher, wife, and mother. In her free time you might find her taking a discarded chair or table off the side of the road to repurpose it into something new and fun. She also loves to read, cook, entertain, and laugh. Murphy lives outside of St. Paul, Minnesota, with her husband and two daughters.

News & Interviews