Jump to ratings and reviews

Seasons of the Sword #1

Risuko: A Kunoichi Tale

My name is Kano Murasaki, but most people call me Risuko. Squirrel.

I am from Serenity Province, though I was not born there.

My nation has been at war for a hundred years, Serenity is under attack, my family is in disgrace, but some people think that I can bring victory. That I can be
a very special kind of woman.

All I want to do is climb.

My name is Kano Murasaki, but everyone calls me Squirrel.

Risuko.

Though Japan has been devastated by a century of civil war, Risuko just wants to climb trees. Growing up far from the battlefields and court intrigues, the fatherless girl finds herself pulled into a plot that may reunite Japan -- or may destroy it. She is torn from her home and what is left of her family, but finds new friends at a school that may not be what it seems.

Magical but historical, Risuko follows her along the first dangerous steps to discovering who she truly is.

Kano Murasaki, called Risuko (Squirrel) is a young, fatherless girl, more comfortable climbing trees than down on the ground. Yet she finds herself enmeshed in a game where the board is the whole nation of Japan, where the pieces are armies, moved by scheming lords, and a single girl couldn't possibly have the power to change the outcome. Or could she?

230 pages, Paperback

First published June 15, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

David Kudler

55 books187 followers
David Kudler is a writer and editor living just north of the Golden Gate Bridge with his wife, actress, teacher, and author Maura Vaughn, their author-to-be daughters, and their apparently non-literary cats.

His award-winning novel Risuko: A Kunoichi Tale, a young-adult historical adventure novel set in sixteenth century Japan, serves as the first book in the Seasons of the Sword series. The sequel, Bright Eyes, hits the shelves on May 5, 2022. He's now hard at work on Book 3 (Kano).

He has overseen the publication program of Joseph Campbell Foundation, editing Pathways to Bliss, Myths of Light, and Campbell's Asian Journals) in addition to managing the publication of over a hundred other print, ebook, print, audio, and video titles, including the first revised edition of the seminal The Hero with a Thousand Faces since the author's death.

Currently, he serves as publisher for Stillpoint Digital Press, producing fine print, ebook, and audiobook editions for all ages in a wide variety of genres from philosophy and poetry to memoir and historical to fantasy and romance.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 stars
41 (8%)
1 star
16 (3%)

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.