Start by marking “Reason to Wed (Distinguished Rogues, #7)” as Want to Read:
Reason to Wed (Distinguished Rogues, #7)

Reason to Wed

(Distinguished Rogues #7)

Alternate cover edition can be found here

Richard Hill, the Earl of Windermere, might desperately require a wife and heir, but thoughts of duty fly from his mind when he rescues Esme, Lady Heathcote, from the embarrassment of a failed affair. They usually never agree about anything. He’s never even kissed the vexing widow. But when the opportunity arises to whisk her away f
Published December 8th 2015 by LLD Press

To ask other readers questions about Reason to Wed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reason to Wed

Lady Wesley
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-rev, rhr, amz-rev, arc
Esme, Lady Heathcote, a merry widow, is friends (but nothing more) with Richard Hill, the Earl of Windermere. The first thing I liked about this book is that the main couple is mature: Richard is 43 and Esme is 36 (or maybe older, as she has been known to lie about her age), so they’re downright elderly by the standards of Hollywood and historical romance!

Reluctantly recognizing the need to marry and beget heirs, Richard organizes a house party brimming with young, prospective brides. Among the
SheLove2Read
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining plot with an older couple (36 and 43), and a beautiful cover. I enjoyed it. 3.75 stars
eyes.2c
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
from the widow's point of view!

Richard Hill, the Earl of Windermere, needs to marry and beget an heir, entailing a curious ritual that had been part of the family myth for generations. This he refuses to do. All Richard's affairs have led him to believe that he may be unable to have children--but, nary a by blow in sight.
Esme, Lady Heathcote, a not so discreet widow lady knew she was barren. She thoroughly enjoys her independence. Lovers and no involvement are part of that.
Although never involv
Coco.V
Jul 16, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (7/16/2019)! 🎁
Dot Salvagin
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This romance was so romantic!! Yes, I know they are supposed to be romantic but too often they do misplace the romance for action, adventure, mystery or pathos. This has none of those, it is just all romance and a good bit of some mildly kinky sex. It is so well written that I can guarantee you will fall in love with Richard, Lord Windermere. Is he too good to be true? Well….maybe a little but his only fault is being just a touch arrogant. Esme is no Spring Chick at 36, widowed, childless and pr ...more
Brenda .
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an unexpected gem of a free book. I liked how well it was written plus a little twist on the usual Regency romance. Thoroughly enjoyed this book!
Reading Lady
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Predictable!

This was a very predictable story, but still an enjoyable read. The story opens at country house party given by the H. The h gives limited background, without much reason for it, about the animosity/antagonism that existed between them prior to this event. The author does a good job of turning them into friends and more and without details about the previous animosity it is very believable. The resolution at the end was a bit of a let down ... It was an HEA, but it seemed to lack som
Crystal
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As some of you may know I completely adore Heather Boyd's books. I've loved every one of her books that I have read and tend to devour them in hours. This lady has a talent writing historical regency era romances that is just unbelievably awesome. Reason to Wed may have just jumped to first place in my favorite Heather Boyd book list.

I have to admit I could not wait to get my hands on this book. I have been looking forward to hearing more about Esme since An Improper Proposal. Esme is not the t
Book Gannet
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This steamy historical read is refreshingly unusual in its use of older characters. Esme is thirty six (I think, though she does admit to lying about her age at one point) and has been widowed for a long time, during which she has taken many lovers, and though she is discreet she’s not the least bit prudish. Richard is in his early forties and, likewise, has taken many lovers. There’s nothing restrained or hidden between these two, though they do have an antagonistic past.

This is my first foray
JG
The seventh book in the Distinguished Rogues series, Reason to Wed was quite a surprising read. For one, the two main protagonist are in the older age group unusual for a historical regency romance and for one they've known each other for awhile but never been attracted to each other or os it seems. Richard is in his forties while Esme is in her thirties. These two have been running in the same social circle for ages and yet has never been lovers at all. Esme has enjoyed her widowhood with her a ...more
Nicole Laverdure
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
** I received a copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

Fascinating and sizzling! 5 stars plus

From the first page, I became fascinated by Heather Boyd's book Reason to Wed. This author is new to me, and when I saw, the cover of her book, at NetGalley, I had to request it. She didn't disappoint me, quite the opposite, I was left spellbound by Richard and Esme's passionate story. As soon as I started reading it, I soon got pulled into their story, and c
Angela
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really liked that Richard and Esme are older. You read so many books where the characters are 20 something that is nice to read about characters who know a little of life. The maturity of Richard and Esme made this book delightful. There are two scenarios in the book - sacrificing what the H/h feels is best for the other and friends to lovers. I love the tension between Esme and Richard. They agree to a short term affair but as with most friends to lovers their caring for each other grew stron ...more
Amy Alvis
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is book 7 in the Distinguished Rogues series.

At a house party to spend some time with her lover, Esme soon learns that he is now engaged. Never one to interfere with a marriage, she find solace in the arms of Richard, the Earl of Windermere.

Always at odds with Esme in the past, Richard is surprised to find himself so attracted to her. He soon learns that it is reciprocated.

Could a fling at a house party turn into something so much more?

I loved this story!! I'm always partial to H/H that ba
Donna Sweeney
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kindly provided with an ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review........

Fantastic Historical Romance !!

This is Richard and Esme's story. Considering it was book 7 in the series, their back story was wonderfully written to fully inform the reader the as I term....the when, the what, the who and the why's !!!

Esme you are definitely a LADY WHO TAKES CHARGE ! Richard I was really glad you put the "I need a child" on the back burner to explore this passion with Esme.........and explore you
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Heather Boyd's book seven in her Distinguished Rogues series, Reason to Wed, could just as easily be called a Reason to Read! Long time frienemies confront an unexpected growing attraction in this charming romance. Worldly characters, long resigned to the roles they have assigned themselves in life, are forced by fate to take another look at their lives directions. Ms. Boyd skillfully takes her readers on the hero and heroine's whirlwind journey as they step by step succumb to love, but not with ...more
Isha Coleman
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Distinguished Rogues series came to my attention through Chills (Book #1) when it was a perma free at the beginning of the year. I thought it was adorable how this slip of a woman brought this forceful cold hearted man to his knees. From that first book I was hooked on Heather Boyd as an author. I requested a copy of Reason to Wed from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Reason to Wed is a story of two people that have faced their share of heartbreak but deeply desire the chance to b ...more
Sissy's Romance Book Review
This is book 7 in "The Distinguished Rogues" series. This is a great, sweet short read.. around 160 pages. I like that this book is somewhat different in that the heroine Esme, is a widow and somewhat older than most heroines...she is her 30's. Our hero, Richard Hill, the Earl of Windermere is in his 40's and is looking to find a wife to produce a heir. Richard is thrown off after rescuing Esme.. this is a really great book that I hope you will enjoy reading too!
Tammy
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Richard the Earl of Windermere knows his duty to find a wife and create and heir but when he has the opportunity for an affair with Esme, duty flies out the winder. This is a fast paced entertaining story with plenty of steam and chemistry between Richard and Esme. The story is a roller coaster ride of emotions that I couldn’t put down. Great Read!
Elaine
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Phew! Hot'n sexy. Heather Boyd can always "turn up the heat". I absolutely loved this story. So steamy. Loved the plot and characters. Just adored Richard!

Second reading: as above - and still loved it! 5☆
Mary Hart
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this story.

I like a more 'mature' hero/heroine.
MJ
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 02019
So, I read 1-3 in a bundle and enjoyed it, but wasn't convinced (I didn't much like H 3).

I already had #7 for free, so decided to knock it off, and enjoyed it enough to actually spend money (I'm a huge cheapskate) on the 4-6 bundle. Again, I enjoyed them, but there was another H I didn't really like.

I was all set to buy the next bundle... but it's not been released. The series is up to book 10 or 11 I think, but not sure if it's going to bundle up or not... and I am a huge cheapskate and the '
Amanda
norcalgal
Let me be clear: the only reason I categorized this as "kink-erotica" is the physical description of the act of love is much more explicit than normally found in novels set in this era (Regency England). Were this set in the 20th/21st century, no one would raise an eyebrow over the titillation.

Saying that, because I'm not sure if widows in Regency England did act in the way described in "Reason to Wed, but if they did - more power to them! I loved that they were fierce (well, at least Esme was s
Lisa
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bondage at the house party

This book flows well and has good writing, but it suffers from not knowing what it is. Full on erotica with bondage? Or a tale of lonely souls at a house party, coming together for comfort? The love scenes dominate the first half and feel over done. They detract from what is actually a rather sweet romance.

Heather Boyd has written some of my favourite HR such as ‘The Keepsake’ and ‘Broken’ but she has hit some low points as well. This book is somewhere in the middle. An
Maxine Wilson
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book, the story of Richard and Esme but wait for it, they are an older couple.

The moment I read Esme I loved her character, a widow who still wanted to live life the honest way.

Richard, wow when he fell he fell all the way.
No matter what he really wanted a life with Esme even though she is barren.

Absolutely great read, I could not put it down.

Well done Ms. Boyd

Highly recommend this read.

Stand alone

I bought this book in appreciation of the authors work.
Lillian Cummings
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esme has vowed never to wed again but the Earl of Windermere Richard has other ideas. She is everything that he wants in a wife and they get on really well. He just needs to get her on board with his plan. Esme isn't too sure about getting involved with Richard as she knows that she could fall for him and then they will both be heartbroken. But can they walk away in the end without regrets? A great read.
Renee
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Illustrated picture that the the author gave while writing this book was so well written that I had to give it a five. I wish that there is more of a Twist in the plot for the protagonist characters but still with this being a historical romance novel this is one of the best ones that I read . It wasn't really so much drawn-out cliche things so I really do appreciate the fact is author took the time to illustrate the feelings in the emotions of each and every character.
Courtney
Okay

This novel was okay, not the best that I have read but definitely not the worst. I enjoyed this book for the majority of the storyline but towards the end I felt it was too drawn out. I wish they could have wrapped it up a little sooner, I feel like it would have worked out better.
Sheila Schwartz
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stubbornness and excuses

Truly loved Ms. Boyd's exciting romance that started with discord but ended with a love to rival Romeo and Juliet! I huffed and puffed and smiled and ground my teeth until miscommunication and misunderstandings were set aside to discover what the head and heart already knew! Perfect story telling!
Annette
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
REASON TO WED: is easy to read, easy to love, and happily ever after. I adore our hero, enjoy our heroine’s sense of self and love the epilogue. A lot of well handled “heat” in this book, well done !
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Oct 22, 2015 10:36AM

• In Your Wildest Scottish Dreams (MacIain, #1)
  • Proud Mary (Roxton Family Saga, #4)
  • Lake Effect
  • Married to a Perfect Stranger
  • Beat Slay Love
  • The Diamond Looking Glass (Cleopatra's Legacy, #3)
  • A Healing Spirit (Riverview Series #2)
  • Secrets of a Scandalous Heiress (The Matchmaker Trilogy, #3)
  • Chasing Shadows (Psycic Justice, #1)
  • Playing by the Rules (Secrets and Lies, #1)
  • A Hold on Me (The Dark Heart, #1)
  • Will's True Wish (True Gentlemen, #3)
  • Mistress of the Court (Georgian Queens, #2)
  • Twist Into Me
  • Life In The No Dating Zone (The Zone #1)
  • In Love and War: A Collection of Love Stories
  • The Art of Ruining a Rake (The Scandalous Spinsters, #4)
  • Lady Beresford's Lover (The Marriage Game, #7)
Determined to escape the Aussie sun on a scorching camping holiday, Heather picked up a pen and notebook from a corner store and started writing her very first novel—Chills. Years later, she is the author of over thirty romances and publisher of several anthologies too. Addicted to all things tech and fascinated by English society of the early 1800’s, Heather spends her days getting her characters ...more

Distinguished Rogues (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Chills (Distinguished Rogues, #1)
  • Broken (Distinguished Rogues, #2)
  • Charity (Distinguished Rogues, #3)
  • An Accidental Affair (Distinguished Rogues, #4)
  • Keepsake (Distinguished Rogues, #5)
  • An Improper Proposal (Distinguished Rogues, #6)
  • The Trouble with Love (Distinguished Rogues, #8)
  • Married by Moonlight (Distinguished Rogues, #9)
  • Lord of Sin
  • The Duke's Heart (Distinguished Rogues, #11)