Start by marking “Let's Talk about Race” as Want to Read:
Let's Talk about Race

Let's Talk about Race

I am a story. So are you. So is everyone.

Julius Lester says, "I write because our lives are stories. If enough of those stories are told, then perhaps we will begin to see that our lives are the same story. The differences are merely in the details." Now Mr. Lester shares his own story as he explores what makes each of us special. Karen Barbour's dramatic, vibrant painting
Published January 4th 2005 by Amistad Press (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Let's Talk about Race, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let's Talk about Race

Start your review of Let's Talk about Race
Melki
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Former University of Massachusetts professor Julius Lester presents a beautifully illustrated book about our lives and the stories we tell.

description

Just as I am a story and you are a story and countries tell stories about themselves, race is a story, too. Whether you're black like me or Asian, Hispanic or white, each race has a story about itself. And that story is almost always the same: "MY RACE IS BETTER THAN YOUR RACE." Some stories are true. Some are not. Those who say "MY RACE IS BETTER THAN YOUR
Mariah Roze
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have been wanting to read this book with my students forever and I am so glad I finally was able to do that. My students loved this book. It opened up a lot of discussions for us and it also was simple so they could follow along. This book taught about how we all look the same under our skin, so we should not be judging another person till we actually get to know them.
Ebookwormy1
Julius Lester tackles a topic not usually seen in children's books. The effort is admirable, and I WANT to enthusiastically recommend it, but it just doesn't settle well with me.

He makes the point that race doesn't completely define someone, and that we are all made up of many different stories, many different parts that all make the whole of 'who someone is'. This part is done well. Although I realized that he doesn't allow any leeway for someone who has parts of their story missing (don't know
Jamila
May 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I appreciate Lester's emphasis on debunking superiority. I do not support his emphasis on ignoring race and ethnicity. Lester invites readers to shed themselves of their skin: "I'll take off my skin. Will you take off yours?" This invitation allows us to journey down the path of colorblindness without first saying, "I love your skin." "I respect your language." "I want to learn more about your cultural heritage and history."

How many of us move about the world without our skin? How many laws and
Berls
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG I love this book and the message! The kids get it and get to interact while reading it! So glad I found it and will definitely be buying a copy for my class library.
Ericka Clouther
This one is a great start for kids to begin to explain the evils of racism.
538PM_Bela Patel
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book introduces race as one part of an individual's story by an award winning author. This a great book to help children understand that everyone is the same inside, the differences are in the details of our own stories. No one is better than anyone else based on their differences. It allows children to explore their own thoughts about race and what makes them unique. It is a thoughtful book with compelling pictures and layered illustrations that encourage reader to linger on each page. Thi ...more
Zoe's Human
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great introduction to a big topic for young readers. The central concept is that everyone has a story. the book is loaded with questions which make it great for interactive reading. Bright eye-catching art.

Picture Book Non-fiction
Grades: PreK - 4
Ages: 4 - 15
Themes: prejudice & racism, emotions & feelings
DDC: 305.800973
Michelle G.
May 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE.
Recommended to Michelle G. by: Found it at the library.
A picture book that isn't preachy but slices straight to the point. Treats racism as a story that isn't true. Which story will we believe? The one that is told to us, or the one that we find out for ourselves?
Maggi Rohde
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There is something wonderful about Julius Lester's prose. It sounds like a grandpa sitting next to you and talking, just talking -- telling you his wisdom, but never making you feel bad for not already knowing. This is the beginning, for all children, for all people.
Beth
Feb 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
So much more than the title indicates, differences and sameness illustrated with images and brief text and powerful words.
Lisa Mcbroom
In a wonderfully informal manner, Julius Lester teaches children about race and how we should embrace diversity. Beautifully illustrated as well!!!!
Chinook
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I love this book. I love how it approaches the topic by discussing people’s stories and I love the way it involves the physical action of touching your bones under your skin and I especially love how hilarious is it to read to a three and five year old about taking their skin off. Because it was funny and also really effective.
Cara Byrne
Dec 01, 2014 rated it liked it
"I am a story. So are you. So is everyone. My story begins the same way yours does: 'I was born on -----.' Take me, for example. I was born on January 27, 1939, in St. Louis, Missouri. (I'm kind of old, huh?)."

In his brief picture book, Lester speaks directly to the child reader, encouraging him or her to tell his or her story, defining all of the attributes of him or herself (like favorite food, religion, heritage, etc.). Lester then asks the child to define and acknowledge his or her race, whi
Josiah
Mar 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
One of the truly great writers of our time leads this thoughtful and sometimes quirky examination into the issues of what makes us different from each other, and what ultimately makes us very much the same. Julius Lester never follows the beaten trail in his writings; he always challenges and pushes us forward into new experiences, like those in this book. The tone of the words is direct and packed with many good ideas, building upon the idea that all of us are much more than any single aspect ...more
Trevor
A brilliant picture book that discusses a serious topic in a way that kids can understand. Julius Lester brings himself into the story, letting readers know who he is and how race affects him. My favorite line is "Why would some people say their race is better than another? Because they feel bad about themselves. Because they are afraid. Because."
Shaye Miller
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this picture book. It's likely intended for children, but would be great for convo with middle graders and even teens as they attempt to cross racial lines and break down barriers.

I'll take off my skin. Will you take off yours?

The artwork is lovely -- providing both imagination mixed with realistic conversation. The variety of skin tones shared with personal details is fantastic! Oh my, everyone should get this one on their K-12 shelves. Picture books are great for everyone. This one can
Brenda Kahn
I loved this book when it released in 2005 and revisit it often to marvel its stunning simplicity. I featured it today in a #tbt post on the blog and realized that I never added it to GR.
Asra Syed
I’ll have to read this to a few of the kiddos in my life before deciding on my ranking. I really like most of this book, but I’m curious how the intended audience reacts before solidifying my critique.
Aneesa
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I got this book because I wanted one that explicitly addresses racism, not just how everybody's equal. Everly loved the part where the narrator asks her to feel her bones. I can see how it could suggest colorblindness, but that's not explicit, so where it says, "Race isn't our whole story," I'll emphasize that it is part of our stories.
Elizabeth
I confess myself disappointed. After hearing this book repeatedly recommended for engaging children in antiracist conversations, I had pretty high hopes, and I already enjoyed some of Lester's previous work. This is just... not what I had expected or hoped for.

The illustrations are lovely and the storytelling style is very engaging. It was a bit frustrating to see that it was largely a vehicle to support colourblindness. The story focuses on acknowledging our sameness and de-emphasizes our diffe
Stephanie Croaning
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, 2017
This book is a great way to begin talking to children about the subject of race and prejudice. It encourages everyone to look beyond the outside of a person to discover who they really are.

Picture book, non-fiction, empathy
Interest Level: K-5; Reading Level: 3.0
5 out of 5 stars

Julius Lester does a great job presenting the idea of race and how sometimes people form opinions about others before getting to know them. The narrator begins with:
I am a story.
So are you. So is everyone.
My story begins
CreateEveryday Classroom
Unfortunately I had low expectations of this book because of the title and cover art.
The conversational story line? BIG FAN. The content of the story line? BIG FAN.
Invest in this book! Read it on repeat.
Bridgit
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Grade/interest level: Primary/Upper Elementary
Reading level: not found
Genre: Contemporary Realistic Fiction
Main Characters: narrator/author
Setting: United States
POV: narrator

Author/narrator Julius Lester addresses his readers and explores the concept of racism and how people view and treat each other. He explores how people are commonly human, but also have unique traits and experiences that make them unique. At the end, he invites the readers to take off their skin as they embrace the world an
David Korsak
The book Let's Talk about Race by Julius Lester is a picture, biography, and fiction book about people disliking people based on race. The author explains that we are all the same under our skin so we really have no reason to judge anyone based on skin color. Julius then talks about how we are so much more than our race and tells us some of the things he likes to do. At the end, Julius asks you if you, too, will take your skin off and not judge others. I selected this book because of this part a ...more
Emily V
Dec 07, 2016 added it
Shelves: multicultural
This colorful and interactive book brings the reader on journey and asks him/her to think about his/her own story. What is your story? This book will ask readers about the beginning of their story, what their race is, and if one person can be better than another. By the end of this book the reader will understand that were are all made of the same things inside!

I think this book is a great way to link your students together and for them to have a shared experience no matter what. This book intr
Dominic Cifuni
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
The book opens with the recurring line/ message throughout the text, and that is “I am a story”. Lester describes all people as a story, and emphasizes how we all have a different, unique beginning and elements throughout. Karen Barbour uses vibrant colors and images to emphasize that our lives are all stories, but the difference lies in the details. It discusses race as well as superiority and the feelings involved with being put down based on race.
This book can also be seen as a guide to help
Neil
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Notes: Let's Talk About Race offers insight into the differences among people, but the authror explaings how we are all the same inside, we may just look different or believe in something different.. Good book about -isms, when students begin to question people that may not look like them, be like them, etc.

Book Review: Julius Lester does a great job talking about race and how we are all the same, in the book, Let's Talk About Race. Lester makes the reader think about the reason why we think we
Tyrone Hardy
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Let’s Talk about Race is narrative by Julius Lester, and illustrated by Karen Barbour about the authors perspective on race. This book doesn’t have a main character, but rather a collection of characters. If there is a main character, it is the author himself. As I read this book I found myself intrigued by it initially, then I felt that it perhaps was not the best work to use in a classroom full of elementary students. Some of the statements in the text made me feel a little uncomfortable. For ...more
Arminzerella
Julius Lester tackles a difficult subject to explain to/understand for a young audience in a very accessible way. He talks about people's differences and their similarities (including race) and shares some ideas about the false stories some people tell themselves about how these qualities make them better than others. We can't know people's stories just by looking at them - we have to wonder about them and ask to find out. Lester points out that he is many things apart from his gender, his skin ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Not My Idea: A Book About Whiteness
  • Separate Is Never Equal: Sylvia Méndez and Her Family's Fight for Desegregation
  • The Colors of Us
  • The Other Side
  • The World Needs More Purple People
  • A Kids Book About Racism
  • We March
  • The Youngest Marcher: The Story of Audrey Faye Hendricks, a Young Civil Rights Activist
  • Whoever You Are
  • Skin Again
  • Let the Children March
  • We're Different, We're the Same
  • I Am Not a Number
Julius Lester was an American writer of books for children and adults. He was an academic who taught for 32 years (1971–2003) at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. He was also a photographer, as well as a musician who recorded two albums of folk music and original songs.

News & Interviews