Start by marking “When a Friend Dies: A Book for Teens About Grieving Healing” as Want to Read:
When a Friend Dies: A Book for Teens About Grieving  Healing

When a Friend Dies: A Book for Teens About Grieving Healing

The death of a friend is a wrenching event for anyone at any age. Teenagers especially need help coping with this painful loss. This sensitive book answers questions grieving teens often have, like “How should I be acting?” “Is it wrong to go to parties and have fun?” and “What if I can’t handle my grief on my own?”

The advice is gentle, non-preachy, and compassionate; the
Published April 15th 2005 by Free Spirit Publishing (first published January 1994)

To ask other readers questions about When a Friend Dies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When a Friend Dies

Start your review of When a Friend Dies: A Book for Teens About Grieving Healing
Stacey Lihs
Maybe a little too simple for what my daughter needs...

Glosses over death and dying in a very general way. Definitely not suitable for older teens, nor for younger perceptive kids who need answers.
Stephanie
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2017
While this book seemed a bit superficial to me, I guess it could be useful for a grieving teen to let them know they are not alone in what they are feeling.
Elisa
Oct 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-lit-2011-2012
**** As far as self-help books go,this one is great! It has a format which allows the reader to read as much of the book as he/she wants. It is not preachy in tone or nature. The author, Marilyn E. Gootman, does a nice job of validating the wide range of feelings a person might experience when dealing with the death of a friend or even an aquaintance. There are quotes from real teens throughout to book as well as resources in the back of organizations that can help such as the National Hopeline ...more
Alexander Davidson
Aug 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Nice and easy read for any teen who has experienced loss. The book is tinier than a normal paperback, and each page can have a paragraph or two to a single quote. This is not a daunting book to behold, which is perfect when trying to motivate a teen to pick it up and read it.

I liked that it had tons of different topics and scenarios from feeling lost, sad, angry, etc. It addresses issues like staying healthy and reaching out to others. It seriously had every possibility accounted for. So if the
Jash
Dec 08, 2009 added it
its a great book for people who need advice when a friend dies
Odbd
manic_reader
Sep 08, 2012
Mike Paul
May 08, 2017

• Anastasia Krupnik (Anastasia Krupnik, #1)
  • Crossfire: A Litany for Survival
  • Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rule-breakers, and Changemakers
  • Light It Up
  • The Aspiring Principal 50: Critical Questions for New and Future School Leaders
  • Jimmy's Blues and Other Poems
  • Front Desk (Front Desk, #1)
  • Minimalist Baker's Everyday Cooking: 101 Entirely Plant-based, Mostly Gluten-Free, Easy and Delicious Recipes
  • Love and Lemons Every Day: More Than 100 Bright, Plant-Forward Recipes for Every Meal: A Cookbook
  • How Toddlers Thrive: What Parents Can Do Today for Children Ages 2-5 to Plant the Seeds of Lifelong Success
  • We Want to Do More Than Survive: Abolitionist Teaching and the Pursuit of Educational Freedom
  • The Price of Salt
  • Would You Rather? A Memoir of Growing Up and Coming Out
  • Gmorning, Gnight!: Little Pep Talks for Me & You
  • The Tao of Wu
  • Schools That Learn: A Fifth Discipline Fieldbook for Educators, Parents and Everyone Who Cares About Education
  • The Rancher (Brannt Family #4)