Start by marking “A Boy Called Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Boy Called Christmas

A Boy Called Christmas

(Christmas #1)

You are about to read the true story of Father Christmas.
It is a story that proves that nothing is impossible.
If you are one of those people who believe that some things are impossible, you should put this book down right away. It is most certainly not for you.
Because this book is FULL of impossible things.

Are you still reading?

Good.

Then let us begin . . .

A Boy Called Chri
Published November 12th 2015 by Canongate Books

To ask other readers questions about A Boy Called Christmas, please sign up.
Conor Nally It's one hundred per cent a children's book, but adults can enjoy it, too!

Lola
One would say that it is not the right month to read this book.

I say every month is the right month to read any book, especially this under-the-radar treasure that makes for a perfect (if somewhat long) bedtime story.

Before he was Father Christmas, Nikolas was just a little boy whose mother died and whose father left on a quest to find proof elves exist, leaving him with his atrocious aunt that treats him like garbage.

But Nikolas, the courageous boy that he is, will not stand still and wait for
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Look at these sweet little kids talking about the book on Youtube!

YouTube Video

OMG! OMG! OMG!

Okay, so I got this audio version through the BLOGGING FOR BOOKS program! Thank you!

I very rarely listen to audio books any more because I just don't remember things and can't spell very well. I actually thought this was the hardback, BUT <--- I loved it because the narrator is STEPHEN FRY! I love Stephen Fry and he narrates perfectly!

I loved Nikolas and his story! It's funny and sad!

The story talk
April (Aprilius Maximus)
What an absolute delight. Matt Haig is just incredible. I also highly recommend the audiobook narrated by (my fave) Stephen Fry! :')
Cheri
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can you believe there was a time when no one in the world knew about him? A time when he was just an ordinary boy called Nikolas, living in the middle of nowhere, or the middle of Finland, doing nothing with magic except believing in it? A boy who knew very little about the world except the taste of mushroom soup, the feel of a cold north wind, and the stories he was told. And who only had a doll made out of a turnip to play with. But life was going to change for Nikolas, in ways he could never ...more
Annet
Impossible - an old elf swear word :-)

Great Xmas story, out of the box!
Including elves, trolls, pixies and reindeers....
The drawings are just beautiful and cute.
Fun, although also a bit sad here and there....
All in the spirit of Xmas.

A Boy Called Christmas is a tale of adventure, snow, kidnapping, elves, more snow, and an eleven-year-old boy called Nikolas, who isn't afraid to believe in magic.

My name is Father Christmas. When I was your age I was called Nikolas. There will be a lot of people
Britt
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
oh man, this was such a wonderful Christmas book <3
I think this is such an amazing middle grade read that teaches you about good and bad, love and friendship, and the power of believing in yourself and believing in magic.

What a perfect book to start 2018 with! (and yes, who cares that it's about Christmas?! Christmas books can be read all year round <3). I'm already so ready for Christmas 2018 haha!

*update on December 3rd 2018*
I reread it and loved it just as much! SO READY FOR CHRISTMAS!
Mischenko
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful Christmas book to keep. One of my favorite Christmas books. ♡ the illustrations. Will read again! :)

5*****
Rebecca McNutt
I wish I'd had this book when I was a kid. It's a fairly recent publication and yet it has all the qualities of a classic Christmas story. This book is great and one that both adults and kids can enjoy.
Rebecca
In a nutshell: A lovely Christmas story that's perfect for all ages.

This book made me feel like a kid again. That's definitely the biggest thing that's stuck out to me while I was reading, as well as thinking about it after. I believe that there's the potential for anyone to enjoy books principally aimed at kids, but most of the time I can't help but wish I had read these book when I was younger, since I would have loved them even more then. A Boy Called Christmas is definitely a book that I wo
Mayke (acozyliving)☕️
This is a full on Children's book and I absolutely loved it! Also lovely illustrations to go with the story. Great Christmas read!
Maria Roxana
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O carte frumoasă ca o dorință pe care o așterni pe scrisoarea adresată Moșului. Nu este o capodoperă literară, în sensul că nu veți descoperi bijuterii stilistice, dar veți găsi FERICIRE. Și aromă de copilărie și de sărbătoare. Ah, și multă magie!
Patricia Bejarano
¡Me encantan los libros navideños y este ha sido una delicia!
Os lo recomiendo a todos, grandes y pequeños, y creo que es un regalo ideal para dar a los peques de la casa el día de Navidad, porque lo iban a disfrutar muchísimo.
Conocer la historia de Papá Noel de joven, como llegó a serlo y todo lo que le ocurre en el camino ha sido maravilloso y mágico. No sé, ha sido una lectura demasiado bonita y que pienso releer cada Navidad. No lo dejéis escapar, porque todo en esta historia es mágico y mara
Bam
Hey everyone! I've just read the most delightful holiday story and want to share it with you! I read this book to see if it would be a story I would enjoy sharing with my grandson in years to come, and the answer to that is a big YES! It may also find its way into some adult stockings as well next year, for those I know would enjoy it as much as I did. In my opinion it should take its rightful place among family holiday classics that we all know and love.

This is the story of how our beloved Fat
Katie Ziegler (Life Between Words)
Fun, sweet, touching, and a little bit silly. Perfect Christmas read, and one I know my boys will enjoy in the future!
Joanne Freitas
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Um excelente livro de Natal e para ler no Natal. Esta história é sem dúvida um mimo. Tem toda a magia necessária para a época natalícia.
Simona Stoica
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recenzia completă: http://palarisme.ro/chef/carti/recenz...

description

„O imposibilitate este o posibilitate pe care încă n-ai înţeles-o.”

Am trecut de vârsta la care aşteptam cu nerăbdare prima ninsoare, ca să fac îngeraşi de zăpadă şi să particip la competiţii de „bulgăreală”, prilej cu care aveam o scuză să-mi „lovesc” colegii. Nu mai cred în „magia sărbătorilor”, iar pe Moş Crăciun l-am cunoscut la o vârstă fragedă, când mi-am surprins părinţii aranjând cadourile sub brad. Sunt departe de „statutul” de G
Liz Barnsley
There may be a more adulty review from me at some stage but I wouldn’t count on it as right now I’m a big kid again.

A Boy Called Christmas is, as my son Harry put it upon finishing , “absolutely awesome”.

I could probably leave it there. Harry is 8. He knows more than me on these things, I bow to his superior knowledge. But as it is a sort of review, I’ll expand a bit.

Lots of people have talked about how wonderful and magical it is (true)

Others have mentioned that it has its darker moments. (also
Nat Price
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“An impossibility is just a possibility you don’t understand yet.”
Anna (Ink of Books)
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bücherregal
This was so unbelievable and cute and magical! Love it!
Oana Kovacs
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a cute and sweet Christmas story! The story of how Santa Claus actually became whom he is. Wonderfully written, a great novel for both children and adults during the magical time of the year.
Vicki
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful audiobook to get right around Christmas. The story is classic feeling and has what I believe will have universal appeal. I loved the narration by Stephen Fry. It was perfect for the story. What a great story to celebrate the season and it is oozing with charm and emotion.

I was so happy to find this audiobook on Blogging for Books and receive it in order to provide an honest review.

This will be a new tradition in our house, listening to this over the week leading into Christma
Skip
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A heart-warming, whimsical story of an 11-year old Finnish boy named Nikolas, who becomes Father Christmas through tragedy and triumph, supported by his two BFFs: Miika and Blitzen. With some magic thrown in for good measure.

An impossibility is just a possibility you don't understand yet.

Fun, but if you don't believe me, try others: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfVpT...

Just reserved the next one in the series.
Ivy
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ich bin begeistert! Das absolut perfekte Weihnachtsbuch. Unglaublich gut. Absolutes Highlight.

Der zauberhafte, lebendige Schreibstil mit viel Liebe zum Detail hat mich von Beginn an verzaubert und in die Geschichte eintauchen lassen.
Die "absolut wahre Geschichte" des Weihnachtsmanns ist wirklich rührend.

Es ist die Geschichte von Nikolas, einem traurigen aber liebenswerten Jungen, der von seinem Vater "Weihnacht" genannt wird. Wie er genug von seiner bösartigen Tante hat, sich auf die Suche na
Hanna
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tykkäsin tosi paljon! Sopi todella hyvin luettavaksi hiukan ennen joulua, aivan upea kuvitus ja ihana tarina.
Lubinka Dimitrova
I'm not exactly the sentimental type of person who believes Christmas to be a magical place where we get to blissfully live for a month at the end of each year, away from everyday troubles and prosaic worries. So I rarely choose special readings for this time of the year in order to get "in the Christmas mood". But this year, probably due to the exhaustion from the heavy, both volume- and knowledge-wise books that I read throughout the previous months, I decided to spend some mindless hours read ...more
Aleshanee
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kinder, weihnachten
4.5 Sterne für eine abenteuerliche, bewegende, aber auch lustige Geschichte wie der Weihnachtsmann zu seiner Bestimmung kam

Von Matt Haig hatte ich bisher ja nur "Ich und die Menschen" gelesen, das ich richtig gut fand. Wie sehr hab ich mich dann über diesen Buchtipp gefreut, denn als ich das Cover gesehen habe wars sofort um mich geschehen! So eine bezaubernde Gestaltung und sogar mit silbernem Glitzer, der sofort Weihnachtsstimmung aufkommen lässt.
Aber auch innen ist es mit total süßen schwarz
Ana Dumitrache
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ahh, ce poveste! 😍 Genul de carte care îți pune un zâmbet larg pe față, care te face să vrei să fii bun, să speri, să crezi în magie și în oameni, în lucruri bune și în dragoste, în toate formele ei. Mi-a adus aminte de copilărie cartea aceasta ...de copilărie cu povești citite înainte de culcare, cu miros de cacao cu lapte. Povestea asta e despre sentimente și atât. Nu e nimic de comentat sau rezumat, doar de citit și simțit. Iată și un citat care mi-a plăcut tare mult:
"Majoritatea oamenilor s
Jessica
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, kidlit, own
Utterly charming story for young readers (or for a great read aloud) about the Boy Who Would Be Santa Claus. As you all know, I'm always on the lookout for Christmas books, and was very pleased to have an advance copy of this sent to me. I liked the whimsical tone (too often Christmas stories get very heavy, or even creepy), and the very interesting mythology of this one.

Also, I would like to have a gingerbread room.

Sara
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,85/5

"Como ser feliz mesmo em tempos maus:

1. Comer mais biscoitos de gengibre, chocolates, compotas e bolos.
2. Dizer a palavra Natal.
3. Dar um presente a alguém: um brinquedo, um livro, uma palavra simpática ou um abraço apertado.
4. Rir mesmo que não haja motivos para isso
5. Recordar um momento feliz ou imaginar um futuro feliz.
6. Usar algo vermelho.
7. Acreditar."

Não podia estar mais de acordo! :)
Sandra Deaconu
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Am plâns, am râs, am zburat cu renii, m-am certat cu un trol, m-am împrietenit cu un spiriduș și chiar am simțit căldura aceea tipică sărbătorilor. Minunată poveste! Perfectă pentru copii, pentru adulți, pentru bătrâni, elfi, reni, oameni răi și buni, pentru cei care nu cred și pentru cei care nu mai speră. Perfectă, pur și simplu! Știu că fiecare percepe altfel o carte, dar nu știu cum ar putea cineva să nu găsească măcar câteva pagini în cartea asta, care să-i schimbe starea. Trebuie, trebuie, ...more
  • The Magic of the Lost Temple
  • Sita: Daughter of the Earth: A Graphic Novel
  • Withering-By-Sea (A Stella Montgomery Intrigue, #1)
  • The Dragonlord's Heir (The Ascalon Trilogy, #1)
  • Mr Gum and the Power Crystals
  • Grandpa's Great Escape
  • Excalibur: The Legend of King Arthur
  • Oliver and the Seawigs
  • Arsenic for Tea (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #2)
  • Just a Dog
  • Freddie and the Fairy
  • Violet Mackerel's Personal Space (Violet Mackerel #4)
  • Third Grade Angels
  • Tiny Titans, Volume 6: The Treehouse and Beyond!
  • Frost Hollow Hall
  • Carbonel: The King of the Cats (Carbonel, #1)
  • Shall I Knit You a Hat?: A Christmas Yarn
  • Summerhouse Time
Matt Haig was born in Sheffield, England in1975. He writes books for both adults and children, often blending the worlds of domestic reality and outright fantasy, with a quirky twist. His bestselling novels are translated into 28 languages. The Guardian has described his writing as 'delightfully weird' and the New York Times has called him 'a novelist of great talent' whose writing is 'funny, rive ...more

Christmas (4 books)
  • The Girl Who Saved Christmas (Christmas Series, #2)
  • Father Christmas and Me (Christmas Series, #3)
  • The Truth Pixie (Christmas Series, #3.5)
“An impossibility is just a possibility you don’t understand yet” 40 likes
“To lose someone you love is the very worst thing in the world. It creates an invisible hole that you feel you are falling down and will never end. People you love make the world real and solid and when they suddenly go away forever, nothing feels solid any more.” 23 likes