Jump to ratings and reviews
With Ruby Riot on a break, Will Campbell, Ruby Riot bassist, returns to university to finish his degree and fails badly at everything apart from partying. He needs major help if he wants to pass his final year and attempts to join a not-very-rock star study group. Will is horrified to discover the person organizing the group is Fleur Roberts, the girl he's secretly crushed on for two years and who recently threatened him with a restraining order.

Fleur's rock stars are history academics. She has no interest in any variety of pierced, tattooed slacker, especially not the jackass rock star who humiliated her at a party. There's no way in hell that Will Campbell is joining her group.

Faced with losing the easiest way to fix his academic problems, Will has the perfect solution: pretend he's his twin, Nate. Will and Nate have swapped identities before so nothing can go wrong. Surely.

Fleur is successful academically, but her love life is a failure. Following a number of disastrous dates, she finds herself falling in love with a guy who is lying to her. But Will's deceit isn't the only thing about to shatter her world. When another man Fleur trusted betrays her, and she attempts to retaliate, Fleur discovers how dangerous he is. And when Will becomes involved, the repercussions threaten both of their futures.

First published January 28, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Lisa Swallow

35 books474 followers
I am unable to read/answer GR messages at present.
Please feel free to contact me by email at lisa_writes@ymail.com
It's unfortunately become difficult to keep up with requests/messages made via various social media sites.
Thank you so much for understanding! :)

Lisa is an author of new adult romance and writes both paranormal and contemporary, often with a side of snark.
Lisa is originally from the UK but moved to Australia in 2001 and now lives in Perth in Western Australia with her husband, three children and dog.

Newsletter sign up: http://eepurl.com/Po81D

Facebook: www.facebook.com/lisaswallowbooks

Twitter: www.twitter.com/lisa_swallow_au

Website: www.lisaswallow.net

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
8 (3%)
1 star
2 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 33 reviews
Profile Image for Sybil aka Lala.
478 reviews187 followers
February 2, 2016

Will’s band Ruby Riot is on a break and the only choice he has is to go back to college to complete his degree and wait for his band’s album to be released. Will was not made for school. He’s failing out of his classes and the one girl he actually wants doesn’t seem to know he exists. A problem he quickly solves by drunkenly embarrassing her and making a complete fool of himself. He also needs the help of a study group if he has any hope of passing his classes but the person in charge of this study group is none other than the girl of his dreams, who now hates him. The solution? Pretend to be his twin brother Nate. This is going to go SO well.

Will is the perfect mix of goofy, witty, awkward and sexy and I adored him. The poor guy wears his heart on his sleeve but his misguided idea, although adorable and funny, isn’t winning him any favors with Fleur. She is strong, independent and very studious. She wants nothing to do with a rock star and his groupies. She knows exactly what she wants – and who she wants. But what she wants may not be who she needs after all.

This story has everything you’d look for in a romance. It’s filled with hilarious situations, yummy angst, delicious sexual tension, sugary sweet moments and some very hot sexy times. As mentioned previously, Will was utterly adorable and it was refreshing to read about a rock star who isn’t all smooth lines and confidence. Shuffle is an utterly enjoyable Rock Romance and without having to think too hard I was glued to every word of it.

(ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review)
Profile Image for Siobhan Davis.
Author 101 books7,783 followers
January 29, 2016
Another stomping good read from Lisa Swallow. I'm a big fan of her Blue Phoenix series so I was delighted when I heard about this spin-off series featuring new up and coming band, Ruby Riot. Book 1, Cadence, was about Jax and Tegan and I mistakenly thought this book was about Nate and Riley. But it's actually about Nate's twin, Will, and his crush, Fleur.

I really enjoyed this book and I'm looking forward to continuing the series. It has all of the things I've come to expect from Lisa - great writing, consistent pacing, good world building and a plot that always keeps me engaged. There's usually a great dollop of smexy times too, though Shuffle was a little on the lighter side compared to some of her other work.

Will has been harboring a crush on Fleur for a couple of years but she has barely noticed him. She's no time for wanna-be rockstars, and she has her heart set on a life of academia and a man that blends seamlessly into that world. Will makes a total mess of it the first time they actually speak, so much that Fleur threatens him with a barring order if he comes near her again. So he pretends to be his twin Nate, as you do. Obviously, you know that's not going to end well!

Fleur was the star of the show, in my opinion. She's quite a different MC and I found that refreshing. She is intelligent, articulate, well-educated and very focused on her studies and her desired future academic career. She wants a nice boy, the type you could take home to Daddy. But all the supposed 'nice boys' end up being anything but. I really felt for her even though she has lousy taste in men, and she just keeps on picking em!

Will is a bit of a strange character, but charming and sweet too. Eventually, he wears Fleur down and they start dating. Cue the inevitable dramas, breakup and then HEA makeup.

I really enjoy rock star romances, and Lisa paints (what I imagine is) a realistic picture. We didn't get to see too much of it here, though, as the band are on a sabbatical, thanks to Ruby's maternity leave.

I enjoyed the first half of the book much more than the second half, as I felt some of the inner monologue became a bit repetitive, and I thought the part from the incident with Shaun to the end was a little rushed. I also disliked the way Fleur kicked Will to the curb after he saved her. I can understand her initial reaction, but she could have shown more understanding and gratitude. Will had so much to lose and I felt she could have been more sympathetic. That's the only reason this is a 4-star instead of 5-star rating.

As an aside, I love these covers, and I loved Fleur's name.

Overall, though, this was a fantastic read and I look forward to reading Nate's story next.

Some of my fav quotes from the ARC copy I received:

"Have you ever kissed a guy with a piercing?" "No." "Want to try?"

"Nothing's changed - apart from everything."

"Fleur is a million miles away, but I'd walk twice as far to reach her."

"This girl is my opposite, but my everything."

Thanks to the author and Inkslinger PR for a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. This review will be posted to my blog on 1st Feb. http://myyanabookobsession.com

Profile Image for Louise Seraphim Reviews.
498 reviews25 followers
January 18, 2016
Oh wow Will!
Shuffle is the story of intelligent, determined, and gorgeous University student Fleur, and one half of the hot rocker twins from Ruby Riot.
But which one? Well that seems to be overall confusion for Fleur too.

Bassist for the up and coming Rock band Ruby Riot's Will Campbell is having the time of his life. Playing support for Blue Phoenix, getting to do what he loves, all with his twin brother Nate, and of course having girls throwing themselves at him. But all good things must come to an end, or at least take a break anyway.
Ruby Riot are taking a break, and Will has to return to Uni to finish off his degree. Reluctant to return, and completely failing the course, he needs some help, and fast.
He decides to join a study group, but is shocked to find it's organised by his long time crush, the very dedicated and beautiful Fleur.

Fleur is a girl who is not blown away by Rock Stars and their godlike status. She would rather an academic walk in and sweep her off her feet, with Historic debates. But as much as she tries to ignore him, Will is not going to let her, even if she has no idea which Campbell twin he is. And after some horrid date experiences with the so-called academic types at uni, it seems this sexy and persistent Rock Star is not as stereotypical as she would presume.

This latest release in Ruby Riot Rock Romance series, was incredible. I mean I loved Cadence, the first story, and lead guitarist/total hot Rocker Jax's story. But it was bassist Will who wowed me. I absolutely loved his funny and sweet nature. His quick wit, and persistent pursuing of Fleur was so sweet. Yes, I know I shouldn't use the word sweet with a Rock God, but it's so hard to explain what he was like. He wasn't big headed, yes he joked about girls throwing themselves at him, and yes he knew he was gorgeous, but you couldn't help but laugh at him, not feel annoyed that he's blowing his own trumpet far too often. (Ooo great phrase for a Rock Star)

Fleur is another perfect example of why I love Lisa Swallow's heroines. She just knows how to write her girls, so that they are real and respond to situations how most people would, not how they are expected to in books. Yes, she has a feisty side to her, and won't allow people to walk all over her. And yes, she is going to make a guy work a bit harder to get her attention, not roll over and fall into the most unrealistic form of Instalove known to fiction. She is realistic, and thoroughly entertaining. I loved her, and rooted for her and Will and their version of a HEA. They both deserved it.

So characters aside, again I was totally gripped by another Lisa Swallow book. She is one of the only people (scratch that) the only person, who can write a rock romance that I can happily enjoy. Her writing and storytelling is awesome, and the twists and turns that are thrown about, have me glued to every single page. This was no exception. I love a Uni background to New Adult fiction, and this was perfect. The chemistry between the leads was enough to steam up my kindle screen, and the ending was exactly how I hoped it would be.

Fully recommended to all lovers of Rock Romance, New Adult fans, and general suckers for romance. :)

5 stars.
Reviewed for SBR Blogs.

Profile Image for litljen.
1,035 reviews35 followers
February 3, 2016
Shuffle is the second book in Lisa Swallow's Ruby Riot series, a spin off of her amazing Blue Phoenix series. Will Campbell, a tattooed and pierced rocker, is the bass player for Ruby Riot, an up and coming band on the verge of super stardom. The band is on hiatus while their lead singer adjusts to new motherhood so Will and his twin brother Nate (the band's drummer) go back to study at university in order for their parents to still support them. Will gets drunk at the start of the book and makes a fool of himself while hitting on Fleur Roberts, a beautiful girl he has had a crush on for the last two years. Fleur despises Will--she is an academic, solely focused on her love of history, who has always planned out her life and that has always included a clean-cut, wholesome man to fit her perfect ideals. Will is failing history and needs Fleur's help to improve his grades however after her first impression of drunken Will, he realizes he must pretend to be his twin brother Nate in order to get her help. Will, as Nate, is able to get under her skin and he realizes he must come clean before she finds out on her own. The intensity between Will and Fleur is palpable throughout the book and when they finally connect, sparks ignite as their chemistry is undeniable. These two have several roadblocks and curve balls thrown at them and things turn ugly fast. But we continue to root for them because we know that, in the end, these two were made for each other and that they belong together.

Will is a lovable, goofy character who has a sensitive side that we haven't seen in the other books he has appeared in. He is funny and entertaining and you can't help but root for him. We long to see Fleur loosen up and let go and Will gets her do to just that. With Will pretending to be Nate for much of the book, one would think it would difficult to make sense of everything. However, Swallow makes it easy to follow along, never once confusing the reader. The pace of Shuffle is just what a reader hopes for----not too fast and not to slow. It gives you time to savor the story and enjoy every delicious moment. Swallow's writing is superb and her storytelling is brilliant. Long ago she became one of my favorite writers and with each story, she continues to cement her place on that list.

All I can say now is bring on Reprise and Nate!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!!!
Profile Image for Jaime.
608 reviews16 followers
September 11, 2017
**2.5 Stars**

I liked the first half of the book when Will was still tricking Fleur into thinking he was Nate. The rest? Not so much..

I did not like Fleur, at all. She was judgmental and she was actually pretty terrible to Will. Especially when it came to the situation with Shaun. She's a terrible person. She's also an idiot. Anyone can see what was coming with Shaun from a mile away but she still refused to report him and kept putting herself in bad situations. For such an "academic" she sure lacked common sense.

On the flip side, I loved Will. He's actually a really great guy and while he shouldn't have lied, I understand why he did. Fleur literally hated everything about him. She didn't like his band, never wanted to go to his shows, didn't want to go to clubs he liked, didn't like him wearing a Star Wars t-shirt to a Star Wars movie premiere.. he was a saint for putting up with her. I kept trying to see what he saw in her, but I still can't wrap my head around it. That was definitely an aspect of the book I didn't like. Their chemistry was not believable.

This book was alright. The writing was pretty good but there were a lot of contradicting moments I couldn't wrap my head around. It was also a little too long with some of the themes of jealousy and distrust being repeated. So overall, read it if you want.
Profile Image for Ashley.
Author 3 books20 followers
June 21, 2017
Loved it

Will is such a fantastic character. He is genuine and interesting and humorous. The author did a great job creating this perfectly imperfect rock star. The story follows his romance with Fleur, which is hot, steamy, and relatable. I did not like Fleur's reaction toward the end of the book...the man stood up for her and she reacted horribly. I was very upset with her behavior. But overall, I enjoyed watching the relationship blossom and found Will to be a 10. Enjoyable read.
Profile Image for Michelle Austin.
2,606 reviews31 followers
January 26, 2016
Title:Shuffle
Author: Lisa Swallow
Series: Shuffle is the second standalone book in the Ruby Riot rock romance series. The Ruby Riot series is a spin-off from the Blue Phoenix books but can be read separately.
Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
Release Date: 1/28/16
Genre(s): Rockstar Romance
Page Count: 296
Heat Level: 2 flames out of 5
Rating: 5 stars out of 5
Blurb:

With Ruby Riot on a break, Will Campbell, Ruby Riot bassist, returns to university to finish his degree and fails badly at everything apart from partying. He needs major help if he wants to pass his final year and attempts to join a not-very-rock star study group. Will is horrified to discover the person organising the group is Fleur Roberts, the girl he's secretly crushed on for two years and who recently threatened him with a restraining order.

description

Shuffle, book #2 in The Ruby Riot series by Lisa Swallow was a great 5 star read.
Romance, Hot Alpha Rock Stars

“Ruby Riot will always come first.” “And that’s why you’re in the position you are. I hope your dreams happen.”

Wow, what a read. My heart went out to Fleur and Will, would they ever get their HEA?

This is Fleur and Will’s story told in alternating POV’s.
Fleur is in her third year of college and has finally worked up the nerve to talk to Ethan at a party, however Will has other plans for Fleur. When she finally get’s away from Will it’s too late, Ethan is talking to another girl.

Will finds himself failing history and having to join a study group. And guess who leads the study group? Poor Fleur just can’t get away from him. Because of what happened at the party, Will lies to Fleur and tells her he is Nate. He actually manages to get her to agree to some one-on-one time as well. What will happen when the truth comes out?
Will has had a crush on Fleur for over two years, she’s not his usual type but he finds himself drawn to her. Fleur finds herself looking forward to her time with Will (Nate).

Fleur ends up getting hurt by someone close to her and gets stumbling drunk, luckily Will (Nate) shows up and helps her get home. “Thanks, I’m home now.” “What? Aren’t you going to offer me a drink for my heroics?” “I can hardly see you, let alone stand and make you a drink.”

Fleur is starting to fall for Will (Nate) and when he stands up to Ethan for her, my heart fluttered. Even though she was mortified I was happy to see him there for her. While backstage after their concert the real Nate decides to talk to Fleur (not a great idea) and ruins things for Will.

In life, we don’t get to choose who we fall in love with. Fate can bring two people together, and time can keep them apart; but the thread between hearts and souls can never be broken.

There was so many roadblocks thrown up for these two, I couldn't help but wonder when they would have their time. Shuffle really had me from the start, I felt so bad for Fleur the poor girl didn’t know which end was up when it came to men, which one was the good one and which one was the dirtball. There were a few twists that I didn’t see coming and added a great element to the story. There is no cliffhanger and we do get to see a HEA. Thank goodness, my heart couldn’t take anymore. Thank you Lisa Swallow for a great read. 1-Click Shuffle today and also pick up book #1 Cadence.

Alpha Book Club
ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review. Reviewed by MAustin from Alpha Book Club

Goodreads Link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
AMAZON ASIN: http://www.amazon.com/Shuffle-Ruby-Ri...
Profile Image for Jody.
1,980 reviews43 followers
February 2, 2016
My love of rock star romances continues courtesy of the delightful bassist for Ruby Riot, Will Campbell, and the fun and flirty dialogue that sparks between him and Fleur Roberts, the woman he's inexplicably drawn to. With this new series Ms. Swallow has crafted an entertaining read featuring a band on the cusp of fame with all the early fears of failure when their dream is finally within reach. For Will, fear of failure when it comes to his Uni education is becoming more of a reality after their recent tour had him partying too much and studying too little. With their band on a break before the release of their album he's back in school trying to prove the naysayers wrong when they call him a failure, but to do that he'll need the help of the smart and studious Fleur. Unfortunately, the last time they were together he insulted her, letting his crush for her override his usual confidence in getting women. His only choice as he sees it is to be his brother Nate to get her to help tutor him. From that moment on the story takes on a comedic turn as he tries to stay in character, keeping all the stories straight, while falling for her even more. The longer the lie goes on though the harder the revealing of the truth becomes as he doesn't want to lose the one woman worth chasing, the one woman he wants to be worthy of. Will might have a badass persona and the stereotypes of a rock star, but deep down he's very sweet. He may have enjoyed the partying lifestyle of being on tour with Blue Phoenix, but being around Fleur excites him even more as he's drawn not only to her looks but her mind and the witty and fiery banter that flares between them. He's a surprising gentleman around Fleur, protecting her and threatening the men who've broken her heart, and it's this sweet and protective side that made me love him all the more. These gentle moments were nicely balanced with a charming yet snarky side that saw him oozing with sex appeal. It's easy to be drawn to him and I can understand why Fleur was so torn as he's nothing like the usual men she goes for and he's like a gift you never knew you wanted until you opened it.

Fleur isn't a stereotypical heroine either as she's more concerned with studying than dating. She's a woman with goals, a future mapped out, that leaves her little time for the opposite sex. She's an independent woman more than capable of taking care of herself. Meeting Will changes everything, leaves her questioning what she thought she wanted out of life, which leads to a journey of self-discovery and unexpected love. After his recent insult towards her though she has no time for Will, but when "Nate" asks for her help she finds herself drawn to him despite his being a rock star. She's always found rock stars to be superficial and incapable of commitment and can't picture herself with one. Her usual choices in men of ones with brains and dedicated to their future though have turned out disastrous and have her seeing "Nate" in a whole new light. When the truth about him finally comes out it's a heartbreaking moment and I can understand Fleur's initial anger as the connection between them was unlike anything she'd experienced before. With most men Fleur's a bit naive and it led her to danger and heartbreak, especially when it came to the men she's seen as refined and the ones she's always fallen for. Through all these experiences Fleur grew as a person as at the start of the story she's a bit uptight and a bit snooty, thinking herself a bit superior in my opinion. Being around Will though brought out a softer side to her, made her a bit more approachable. By story's end I had warmed up to her and liked the person she became through interacting with Will.

This was a lighthearted story most of the time with the brotherly ribbing between Nate and Will and the fun and flirty interactions between Will and Fleur. The connection between Will and Fleur was combustible and teemed with sexual tension and banter that felt like a sensual battle of the sexes. Neither of the main characters were stereotypical which was refreshing and has me still thinking about them. I also enjoyed the British scenery and verbage that further enhanced its uniqueness amongst the crowded New Adult genre. Along with these compelling main characters comes an intriguing and colorful cast of secondary characters with Nate Campbell being in the forefront as I anxiously await his HEA. From start to finish this was an entertaining read with good flow and only a few roadblocks and a bit of angst. The romance charmed me with banter that crackled and that led to richly rewarding and steamy sensual interludes. This book is part of a series and can definitely stand on its own, but with such a delicious hero you'll want to spend every moment you can with him and read this series from the very start!
Profile Image for Jennifer.
454 reviews3 followers
January 28, 2016
*received ARC in exchange for an honest review*
Shuffle is the second book in the Ruby Riot series, which is a spin off series from her Blue Phoenix series. I really liked this book better than the first book, Cadence. While Cadence was a good book, this book exceeded my expectations and took a different direction as the first book did. I was expecting more of the same from Lisa, but I am really glad she spiced things up. This book can be read as a standalone.
The plot of this book mixes two genres. First, you have this rock star who is learning to deal with his new fame and all the women around him. Then you also have a college romance drama. It’s the best of both worlds in my opinion. While Cadence focused on the band mostly and life on the road, Shuffle focused more on what happens when the band takes time off. Will and Nate go back to college which is the main setting in this book.
I really liked having the two genres in this book. My favorite part of a college romance is when you get to see a quiet and reserved character meet an outgoing larger than life character and how they change each others lives. This is a major part of this book. Will is dealing with his newly found fame and he is taking all of the benefits that come with the fame, including girls. That is until he gets a chance to spend time with Fleur. These two have some of the funniest yet sweetest interactions. Lisa Swallow has an amazing way of writing characters in a very relatable way.
This book has a lot of sexual tension and heat. My favorite parts of a book are the scenes when the author really builds up the attraction between the characters. Lisa does a spectacular job doing this between Will and Fleur. I really felt like I was getting wound up right along with them. Lisa told this story from alternating views, so we as readers are really able to see these characters think and act to the different situations. It brings a higher level of understanding for the readers.
Lisa is a very brave writer. I have said this before and I will say it again. She likes to place serious topics within her books which helps raise awareness. The situation in this book is very relatable. I think that some people who have never been in such situations sit back and judge and think that when they hear real like stories containing these situations that there is more to the story and often times the victims are tainted in these people’s minds. I love that Lisa was able to write about two serious situations in this book. Reading about a situation as it occurs, even if it is fiction, helps open a person’s perspective and broadens their understanding to situations. I really feel like reading books, especially Lisa’s, has given me an opportunity to experience situations through characters and given me a better understanding of people. Very vague, I know, but I do not want to ruin any of the book so you will just have to read the book and reread this paragraph to really understand =]
Ratings:
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Heat: 5/5
Overall: 5/5
Favorite Quote:
“Your conclusion?” Nate asks.
“Strange, but not entirely unpleasant. A bit like you.” – Fleur and Will, Shuffle
Profile Image for Kristen.
228 reviews3 followers
February 13, 2016
Boy, what a great read! I absolutely loved this book.

Will is one of a set of twins who is instantly drawn to Fleur at a party. Even drunk, he professes his love for her. Fleur gets angry and thinks that he's just playing with her, trying to make her look like a fool. After all, everyone knows that Will and his brother are players. They don't give a crap about love.

Even though Will and his brother are a part of the band, they're taking a break because the main singer had a baby. So while on the break, him and his brother decide to attend university as the Brits say. Their parents refuse to help them out with money unless they go to school. They're not rich yet, the band isn't taking off yet, so they got no choice but to attend school to their dismay.

Will is struggling in school, especially Math (I think), a class that Fleur is great at. He has no choice, but to join Fleur's study group. The only problem is.... Fleur hates Will, so she would not let him join, he thinks. So he pretends to be his own brother instead.

Man that just makes you cringe right? Imagine them talking, her realizing that she actually likes him but thinks he's the other brother and he has to lie because he has no choice.

That's why I liked this book. It had a huge twist that made you think and wonder what will happen next. What will happen when she finds out he lied? How will she find out? Will she believe him?

The only person I truly hated was Will's twin brother. He's such an ass. He doesn't want to see his own brother happy? He tries to destroy and make Fleur run away. Will realizes that even he has to stand up to his own brother and break away. Even though he's a twin, he has to choose his own path and own happiness. I can't wait for Will's brother to find his own doom, I mean love, in the next book, so he will quit his snickering at the thought of being in love with a girl. Karma... That's all I gotta say. Karma is sweet. And it will be super sweet for him.

Lisa Swallow honestly cannot fail with her books. I've read all of them and have not been disappointed yet. I think this series might be my favorite though. I love Ruby, she's just a great character and every time I see her in the book, I love it.

Now, I'm eagerly anticipating the next book. Ooh, Will's twin has it coming! CAN'T WAIT!
509 reviews64 followers
April 29, 2018
Ruby Riot reviews
Cadence ❤❤ here
Shuffle ❤❤❤❤❤ See below!
Reprise ❤❤ here

Shuffle is the second book in the Ruby Riot series, which is a spin-off from the Blue Phoenix series. It’s not necessary to read the Blue Phoenix series, or Cadence (first book in the Ruby Riot series) first, but I’d recommend it as some of the characters do overlap.

WOW - absolutely smashing story, solid character building and an amazing female lead!

With Ruby Tuesday being on maternity leave from touring, Ruby Riot has some downtime. Will and Nate are spending this back on campus, so they can finish their degrees.

At a party Will sees his crush, Fleur. Unfortunately, Will’s awkward attempt at approaching her is anything but smooth. So, while he does leave a lasting impression, it’s not the one he had hoped for, and the two of them are off to an awkward start. Will is such a charming, sweet and caring character. But what I particularly enjoyed about him, is that when it seems like Fleur prefers Nate, he just pretends to be him. Because, why the hell not!

Fleur is a no-nonsense girl with her eyes on the price, an academic career and hopefully, find an intelligent and reliable boyfriend, the kind you can bring hope to mum and dad. She definitely doesn’t have any time for wannabe rock stars. There’s just that one problem, that all the guys that look good on paper turns out to be rotten to the core.

To me the funniest part was that when it seems like Fleur prefers Nate, Will just pretends to be him in order to get closer to Fleur. The cheekiness of it really made me laugh.

This is definitely my favourite book in the Ruby Riot series. This one is so real it's unbelievable. To me all the other books have been about rock stars and their choice in mates, however, unfortunately most of them had a huge and unattractive chip on their shoulder, which made them annoying, whiny, stubborn, destructive and just plain obnoxious. Fleur is a breath of fresh air, clear about what she wants and when what she wants arrives in a different package she adjusts, she doesn't try and change Will or dictate what her version of love and perfectness is.
Profile Image for Megan’s Endless Reads.
339 reviews24 followers
February 4, 2016
This book definitely isn't the typical college romance! After reading Shuffle's blurb, I was expecting the usual college/band romance where the guy is famous and there are problems in the relationship because of college and the gaining popularity of Ruby Red (the band). And while there was definitely some of these themes present in the novel, there was a twist of identity that added a whole new element to the novel and really bumped up my rating to five stars!

The author did a good job of creating a story in which the characters literally come off the page in terms of personality and individuality. I truly felt a part of the novel and the issues that were presented through the characters and their relationships.

I really loved Fleur's character because (a) Her name is a character in the Harry Potter series and anything connected to HP is bae; and (b) Fleur was the type of girl who didn't take sh*t from anyone because she was focused on her education and future. I think this is where a lot of relationship trouble started up (from item b, not a ) because Fleur was so focused on her education that she missed some warning signs from a guy she goes on a date with... big mistake... and she dismisses the attraction she feels for Will (or Nate, depending on what name he decides to go by). I felt like Fleur's character was the perfect mix of perfect and faults in her personality and her characterization.

Will, on the other hand, was really hard not to like even when he was drunk and acting a fool. I think a lot of this had to do with how honest he was with himself (for the most part) about his feelings for Fleur. From the beginning of the novel I never questioned if he was interested in her more than a passing fling. I loved how the author created the drama of him pretending to be his twin brother Nate because I felt like it added a complete 180 from the usual college romance stories.

Overall this book was pretty darn amazing and I am definitely going back to read the first book in the series (Cadence) as well as keep my eye out for the next book in the novel.

Profile Image for Shelley Youngblood.
828 reviews5 followers
January 21, 2016
As a fan of Lisa Swallow's work, I could not wait to get my hands on her next installment of her Ruby Riot series. I was not disappointed when I did. I have been reading snippets about the Campbell Twins and their crazy antics since I first found Lisa Swallow's Blue Phoenix Series. (As this series is a spin-off from Blue Phoenix, I was ecstatic to finally learn more about Will Campbell.) I must admit, Lisa made me completely fall in love with him as well as Fleur Roberts in this story.

After going on Tour with Blue Phoenix, the International Rock Band, Ruby Riot is on hiatus until their next album releases. To keep their parents happy as well as footing the bill for things in the mean time, Will and Nate Campbell are back at university completing their degrees in History. Despite their lack of attendance last term, Nate still seems to be pulling decent marks, but Will on the other hand is in a heap of trouble if he wants to graduate on time. The "Rockstar" lifestyle he was enjoying so much was not conducive to retaining information about history. He decides the only way he will ever be able to pass this term is to join a study group. There is only one problem. The girl running the group absolutely despises him. After making his feelings about her known in a rather publicly obnoxious way, Will knows there is absolutely no way she will ever let him join the group. When he approaches her to join the group, she mistakenly takes him for his twin brother Nate. Will decides desperate times calls for desperate measures. After all what's the worse that could happen?

There is so much more to this story than I could have ever imagined. I laughed, I cried and felt every emotion imaginable as I watched it unfold. Lisa Swallow's talent as a writer is unbelievable. Just when I thought she couldn't grip my heart any further, I was completely undone by the raw emotions and depth of characters she developed. I absolutely fell in love with Will Campbell and I can't wait to see what Lisa has in store for me next!
Profile Image for S.D. Wasley.
Author 15 books73 followers
January 20, 2016
Fleur is a sensible girl. Smart, pretty, and good at what she does. She thinks she'd fit best with a guy like herself: clever and academic, settled and mature.

Newbie rockstar Will has had his eye on Fleur since they started university together. He's just never been able to work up the guts to talk to her. But now he's been part of Ruby Riot's support act for Blue Phoenix, surely he's in with a chance? He lays his heart on the table for Fleur but unfortunately he's also drunk and obnoxious ... and she's disgusted.

But suddenly Will needs Fleur for another reason altogether. And if she won't speak to him, maybe she'll speak to his twin brother ...

Oh, Will! What a tangled web we weave. When Will decides to pose as Nate, he doesn't bank on falling in love with this complex girl - or that she might start to reciprocate. He stumbles through a number of awkward, endearing scenarios in which you just want to slap (and then kiss) him for not telling Fleur the truth.

Fleur is a beautifully developed character who has some life lessons to learn before getting her happy ending - the main one being 'don't judge a book by its cover.' She gets caught up with some seriously horrible guys who seem delightful on the surface, and all the while the diamond in the rough is sitting right next to her in study group. Except she thinks he's Nate.

Fans of Lisa Swallow's Blue Phoenix and Butterfly Days contemporary romance books will love the second in the Ruby Riot series. It's so much fun seeing our favourite rockers from previous books in cameos, as well as for a sweet surprise at the end of this story.

Another gorgeous, swoony, hot romance from this author!
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Gemma Weir.
Author 29 books896 followers
January 28, 2016
Check out more of my reviews on my blog http://gemmareadstoomuch.co.uk

Shuffle is book #2 in the Ruby Riot series, I was gifted an ARC of this book to read for Gemma Reads Too Much.

Will, Will, Will you adorable little ball of sexiness!!

I kind of feel like I’m perving on the jailbait boy from next door, Will is young. Like SOOOOO young and it’s odd that I’m a bit in love with him.

The twins have always been just this obnoxious double act that have manwhored it about in the background since Jem's book. Honestly I’ve never paid them much attention and id assumed that Nate would get the first book.

I loved getting to know Will better, he’s was so much better than I anticipated and even though he’s far to young to become fantasy material for me I still found him really sexy in a cheeky chappy kind of a way.

I found Fleur harder to like, she comes across as up herself and snooty and I wanted to smack her round the head for all of the pretentious “I need an intellectual equal” bullshit she was spouting. I did grow to like her by the end, but mainly because Will adored her so much.

For me Will was the absolute star of this show and this book is good because of him!

This story is very young, and the romance was very young it’s totally age appropriate and it works for this series but as a reader I prefer things abit more age appropriate for me. (Take that as I prefer my fictional fantasies to be well above the legal age limit!)

I’m enjoying this series and really looking forward to Nate’s book. I think it’s going to be an interesting ride watching him fall in love.

Shuffle gets an adorable 4 stars from me.
Profile Image for Claire.
186 reviews12 followers
January 30, 2016
4.5 Stars :)

Well first things first, I love a good rock star book and I'm from the UK so this was a no brainer for me. I like to read books that are written in British English for a change.

I've read the Blue Phoenix series by this author and enjoyed it so looked forward to this. I enjoyed this a lot.

This can be read as a standalone. Reading the previous books in the series is not really required

We've met Will before. He's the bassist for the upcoming band, Ruby Riot. He doesn't make the greatest of first impressions on Fleur when they met and now needs a plan to get her on board, as she is the one in charge of the study group he needs to join to try and pass his college work. His great idea is to swap identities with his twin Nate. Much hilariousness and misunderstanding ensue.

I loved Will. He was funny and a typical rocker but hid a sweet caring side underneath. He is a cool character.

Fleur is not sure what to make of Will/Nate at first but soon warms to him, I liked her character a lot. Some of the decisions she made at times annoyed me a little but over all she's funny and sweet.

The book is written well and the plot flows along nicely. Some of this authors previous books I've read have been angstier than this but I enjoyed that there wasn't needless angst thrown in that wasn't necessary for these characters. Some books I've read have thrown in loads for the sake of it and it just doesn't work. I'm glad this wasn't like that.

I enjoyed this a lot and would recommend to anyone that likes a college romance and rocker romances.

Calling All Bookaholics :)
Profile Image for Jennifer Pierson.
10.9k reviews130 followers
February 3, 2016
HOLY I LOVE WILL BATMAN! Every book that Lisa Swallow writes is amazing, and Shuffle is absolutely no exception. Ruby Riot is on break so Ruby can have her baby, so Will has gone back to Uni to finish his degree to make his parents happy. He's failing badly at everything except partying, and needs serious help. Fleur is a serious student. She has no desire for any rock star distractions, especially ones that humiliate her at a party, as she hates any public attention. Will needs to join a study group that Fleur heads up, but he knows there's no way she will let him in, so he tries as his twin, Nate. As each guy Fleur believes is nice turns out to be a disaster, she starts to get closer to "Nate," and feelings are growing. When Will finally confesses, will Fleur understand and forgive him?

WOW WOW WOW! I freakin LOVED LOVED LOVED this story. The character development is spot on perfect, and even though Fleur frustrated me more than once, I could relate with her feelings. A fast paced, original, and very well written story line flows effortlessly. Lisa Swallow's writing style is brilliant, and she always hooks me cover to cover to where I devour every story in one sitting. The chemistry is flammable, leading to EXPLOSIVE sexy scene goodness, and well placed humor had me laughing hard. A couple twists and turns added in kept me on my toes, and I never wanted Shuffle to end. Everyone needs to do themselves a huge favor and read this story, series, and author, as I shout from the rooftops, I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY and HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO ALL!
Profile Image for Amazeballs Book Addicts.
2,770 reviews239 followers
February 4, 2016
Shuffle is book two Ruby Riot series. It can be read as a standalone. I didn't read book one , Cadence and I wasn't lost at all when reading Shuffle. Shuffle is Will and Fleur's story.
Will is the bassist for Ruby Riot. His band has just gotten done with touring with Blue Phoenix. His band is waiting for their album to drop and things to pick up again. Will and his twin Nate had back to college to finish their degrees. Will likes Fleur but she won't ever give him the time of day. Fleur has a bad track record with guys, the ones she falls for and thinks are good don't turn out that way. Will is something she wants nothing to do with. His twin brother Nate on the other hand, she doesn't mind dealing with.

When Will needs help with classes he ends up joining Fleur's study group. He pretends to be Nate so Fleur will let him in the group. He gets very deep into pretending to be Nate. I haven't read a story with a twin swap story line before but I know twins who did that for their classes when they were in school. I think Will pretending to be Nate was the only way that Fleur would have given him the time of day. I really liked Fleur getting to know Will even if she thought it was Nate. I kept reading waiting for when Fleur finds out that who she thinks is Nate is really Will. I was hoping that when the truth came out they would be able to move on with their relationship but they have a lot more to deal with. This one is a great read with a few surprise twists that will keep you hooked.

A copy was received for a review.
Profile Image for Kim.
861 reviews35 followers
January 17, 2016
*************ARC given for honest review***********
Will has been half of the infamous Campbell twins, partying and sleeping his way through groupies. But when Ruby Riot goes on break and he and Nate have to head back to college, he starts to want more. Particularly from the lovely, very studios, Fleur. The girl who he has had a secret crush on for two years.
Fleur is a history major. She is kind of uptight, with ideals of what her perfect man is and it no where near resembles Will.
After Will humiliates her at a party (she over reacted to his attention) she decides to hate him. But Will needs to be in the study group she leads, so he pretends to be Nate once again. They end up developing a friendship of sorts.
Fleur starts to learn that her ideal man may not be so perfect after all. She also starts looking at Will/Nate in a different light. But when the truth comes out, will she be able to forgive and forget?
A string of bad luck starts to follow her and Will isn't around to help since he is off with Ruby Riot promoting their new album. Just when he is back, things explode and he finds himself in legal trouble, and without his girl. I have to say that I hated how Fleur handled the situation. She didn't deserve Will at this point.
Alas, there is a HFN that you can live with. Time for Nate's book, he was such a jerk in this one that he is going to need a whole lot of redemption.
Profile Image for Rochelle.
179 reviews20 followers
February 2, 2016

ARC received by Inkslinger in exchange for an honest review

This book is about a musician named Will trying to get the girl (Fleur) he'd had a crush on for two years by pretending to be his identical twin Nate.

I found this book entertaining in some parts, especially the whole drama about Fleur not knowing which twin she's addressing to. I liked how Will is so determined to be good enough for Fleur and for not giving up even after she hated his guts.

It's not a bad romance novel and many readers could enjoy this book a lot, but it just isn't for me.

I didn't like the main character Fleur at all. She's so confused about her life in my opinion and I didn't like how she handled so many things.

To add more to that, the way the author wrote about Nate and Will's bromance is probably supposed to look cute or relatable, but I just found it weird. I thought Nate is the good brother and Will is the bad one, but then it's the other way around. I wasn't pleased with the relationship between the twins.

I recommend this book to romance readers looking for entertainment. I would suggest to not read this book if you've read romance novels in the past week or so because you'll get annoyed since there are some similar aspects you'll find predictable and probably a little cheesy.
Profile Image for Fiction  Conviction Book Blog.
46 reviews42 followers
February 8, 2016
I absolutely loved this book! I laughed, sighed, cheered, cried and swooned my way through this gorgeous fledgling rockstar romance!

Knowing how much I love Lisa Swallow’s style, I put the rest of my day on hold before I started this book, and just as well I did. Shuffle hooked me from the first page and I couldn’t put it down.

The things I thought I knew about Will were challenged in this book. A guitarist in a rising rock band, having let the first taste of stardom go to his head, he’s still a bit of a bad boy, a heartbreaker, a tad conceited, and oh so swoonworthy. But who knew he had harbored these deep emotions and was such a kickass, fiercely protective man? Will is adorably unfiltered and doesn’t try too hard to hide his feelings… but he does hide his identity, which causes big problems.

Fleur is definitely no fangirl pushover, and doesn’t let Will get the best of her. On the surface she doesn’t seem like a possible match, but the balance between these two is utter perfection.

Lisa Swallow has the seemingly unfailing ability to write addictive, captivating characters in fictional worlds I wish I could live in. I still have a book hangover from this book that perhaps only Nate’s story can fix!
Profile Image for Ashley.
701 reviews47 followers
February 25, 2016
Fleur hates Will and is one of the few girls who feels that way. Will has had a thing for her since he first noticed her. After pissing her off at a party he knows she won't let him into her study group when he needs help. So he pretends he to be his identical Nate. But then they begin falling for each other. What can possibly go wrong? What happens when the truth comes out? Can they overcome the obstacles? Do they live happily ever after?

Wow, so good! I absolutely loved the characters. They were so fun and dynamic. The whole twin switch, while slightly confusing, was interesting and fun. It made the book so different and I liked it a lot. I have never read a book quite like this one. I've read books with twins but the switch in this one was different. What a great plot and idea. Amazing pacing and flow as well. I loved the writing style and felt like I was a part of this book.

I can't say enough about this book to tell you how much I loved this book. I will definitely go back and read Cadence as well as keep my eyes open for the next book. This amazing author has been added to my favorites list. So amazing!
Profile Image for Tina.
824 reviews21 followers
January 29, 2016
Man, I thought I loved Jax but Will has my heart now. I started this book today and didn't stop until it was over. My heart is so owned right now. Total book hangover.

Will is part of the Ruby Riot twins and has a persona as part of that duo. The girl he has been crushing on for 2 years only sees the public persona and not the real Will. While on a break from touring, Will is forced back to college with failing grades. He joins a study group that Fleur practically runs.

Fleur can't stand Will. She doesn't want to be anywhere near the guy. She reluctantly let's him in the group but keeps him at arms length. How long will she be able to resist his charms though??

She comes to learn that Will is nothing like she thought. She falls hard and fast. The two of them have so much push and pull until they finally give into the feelings. There are so many obstacles they must overcome though.

What a follow up to Cadence. Lisa did a wonderful job with Ruby Riot 2. I promise that you will fall in love with both characters.
7 reviews1 follower
January 27, 2016
******** ARC given for an honest review*****************

I am a fan of all that Lisa Swallow has written. I love her writing style , and the way she develops her characters so that you feel connected to them throughout the story. Shuffle is the second book in the Ruby Riot series and it did not disappoint me! I enjoyed getting to follow Will and Fleur's story as it developed. I was anxious to see how Will resolved the situation he created when he pretended to be his twin brother, Nate, just to be able to join a study group Fleur was involved in for school. I really enjoyed reading Shuffle, and learned to love Will as the story went on. I encourage you to read it too! You will not be disappointed!
Profile Image for Witchy Richey's Booktastic Reviews.
1,096 reviews63 followers
February 4, 2016
I am thinking that perhaps this just wasn't the book for me. I really am in the minority on this one as most have loved it.

I found a few things that I genuinely enjoyed. The British/English dialect is awesome!! The twin aspect was really great. Both man whores, but one girl can change it all. Will really develops into an amazing leading man.

Fleur, which I love the name, is really kind of a pain in the rump. I really struggled to like her character. She is judgmental, snobbish, and just an all around witch. I mean come on, most women want there man to stand up and defend them.

There is real potential with the plot. Just some character flaws that I found displeasing. I could have just been having a off day.

Give it a try for yourself.
Profile Image for Heather andrews.
9,520 reviews148 followers
January 27, 2016
Will is a sexy man, “what the eff is your complex about this?”I fasten my belt and Fleur watches, smoothing her hair. “Right. You. Come with me.” I pick up her bag, and she catches as I throw it at her. Then I grab her hand and drag her out of the room." I'm thinking Will's woman wasn't impressed he took his piercings out, I knew I wouldn't have been, "the tattoo covers his chest and I slide a hand to trace the outline. “Where did the piercings go?” I ask, running a finger across his nipple." I really liked this book, the characters are entertaining.
28 reviews2 followers
June 15, 2016
Awesome!!!!

The RR series is one of the best I've read in a long time. Hooked is not even the word to describe it. Will's story was 'Da bomb'. Engaging; CHECK; To die for characters; CHECK, CHECK; Swoon worthy; CHECK; Intriguing plot and events; CHECK. A story you'll read in a day, like I did; DOUBLE CHECK.
Profile Image for Bella.
296 reviews36 followers
Read
February 2, 2016
Still not sure how to rate this. After the first Ruby Riot, this was a bit of a letdown. Still, I've now read all of Blue Phoenix and RR, and I'm determined to stick with the series and see if Nate can win me over in book #3. Review to come.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 33 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.