Start by marking “The Marshall Plan” as Want to Read:
The Marshall Plan

The Marshall Plan

(Bennett #2)

A wannabe journalist. An untapped local scandal. What will it be, her ambition or her heart?

Molly Marshall is happily married, incredibly rich, and up for a Pulitzer...in her dreams. Her reality is much bleaker. No one wants to pay her to write, and her student loans won't let her work for free, so her grad degree in journalism goes to waste while she works in a taco truck
Kindle Edition
Published October 31st 2015

To ask other readers questions about The Marshall Plan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marshall Plan

Start your review of The Marshall Plan
Katie Ziegler (Life Between Words)
I had the pleasure of reading The Marshall Plan by Olivia Ard this week.

To start, I feel I need to share that I read this book alongside The Summer of Night which is a horror novel written by Dan Simmons. I'm not really a horror fan - I spook easily - but it's October so I felt in the mood for something scary. That's really all to say that I needed to break up that book with something as far from the horror genre as I could get. This was perfect.

I suppose The Marshall Plan would be classified a
M.L.
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a complimentary copy of the book and was asked to provide an honest review. The protagonist, in her twenties and struggling to find her place in life, may have been a little young for me to relate to but initially, I found her to be immature and self-centered, which was the intended response to the character I imagine. I won't reveal how the plot progresses, but it does. The book is well written and the read enjoyable.
Whispering Stories
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
‘The Marshall Plan’ is the second novel by American author Olivia Folmar Ard. It is written in the first person and maintains an even pace throughout. The writing style is clear and Ard makes full use of literary descriptive devices.

The plot is straightforward and the author has resisted the temptation to become side-tracked with irrelevant sub-plots. The main protagonist, Molly, is a young woman setting out after graduation in search of the perfect life.

The author has clearly put a lot of thoug
Angel Leya
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Molly Marshall is fresh out of college, stuck in a menial job she hates, engaged to a man who she feels has lost his ambition for anything useful, and is generally dissatisfied with it all. Her own troubled childhood seems to further distance her from her fiancé, but when his seemingly perfect family reveals a long-kept secret, it changes everything. Through every circumstance, she learns more about herself and the way she views the world. Barreling towards what she thinks is her dream, she find ...more
Debbi DuBose
What possible better way to spend my time on a hot July day than to read Olivia Folmar Ard's newest novel: The Marshall Plan. Ard has written another purely delightful contemporary novel. The characters are engaging, realistic, and speak truthfully to our day and time.
Gavin and Molly have finished college and been engaged for two years. They are waiting for marriage before they live together. Why? Well, it's what Gavin wants for them. But lately, Molly is beginning to feel frustrated. Does Gavin
Carolyn
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: women-fiction, na
I enjoyed the second book in the Bennett series even more than the first! Olivia Folmar Ard delivers a hard-to-put-down follow-up to The Partition of Africa that would work as a standalone novel. Those who have read the first book, however, will enjoy following Hattie and seeing how her life has changed since Cameron's (second) proposal.

This well-written story is essentially a portrait in self-centeredness and the ways in which it keeps us from loving fully and freely. With the exception of Hatt
Barb
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'd already read "The Partition of Africa" and was happy to find that this book featured some of the same characters in supporting roles. Young college grad Molly and her fiance Gavin are going through a rough patch in their relationship. She can't find it in her heart to commit to him when she resents him for passing up lucrative job offers in his field of study, only to get a job in a motorcycle shop. Meanwhile she's scraping by, trying to pay off student loans and her rent while working in a ...more
Stephanie
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This story is a great examination of that difficult time many of us face when we’re finished with school but not quite working in the careers we just spent so many years studying to work in. Are you an adult yet? Or are you a big kid still?

I wanted to give this one five stars but I couldn’t quite get there. Technically the writing is excellent but I found the characters very frustrating. I couldn’t figure out exactly why Molly kept putting off marrying Gavin when 1) she kept saying she loved him
Becca MacLean Lyman
I think a lot of women’s fiction takes the idea of empowerment too literally, like women are expected to grab life by the horns and demand what they want out of it. I think what I love about The Marshall Plan is the idea it presents that empowerment can also come from graciousness. Molly Marshall, the eponymous main character, grows from a rather myopic woman who is bitter about the wrenches life has thrown at her, to an empathetic and appreciative woman who finally understands that life is what ...more
Pamela Humphrey
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Molly Marshall has expectations of what life should be like, but they are colored by her past. In The Marshall Plan, we get a glimpse of her life during a summer.

One thing I especially loved about this book was that though we see everything through Molly's eyes, hers is not the only story unfolding. Gavin, Molly's fiance and my favorite character, was well-written and became more likeable as book progressed.

Ard did a great job of weaving the theme of choices throughout the pages. I highly recomm
Haley
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Please see here for full review! http://ilayreading.com/2015/11/06/the...

While not my normal style, this definitely provided some entertainment. Pour yourself a glass of your favorite cheap wine, put on your yoga pants, and cuddle up with your cat. This is the perfect guilty pleasure read. Don’t forget to invite Ben & Jerry!
Stefanie  Bamberg
I absolutely loved The Marshall Plan! I love Molly and her personality! I cannot wait to read the next book in the series!
Chelsea DeVries
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Young adult fiction has always been my favorite genre. And in January, I joined the 10 minute novelists Facebook group in a late-attempt at joining the 365k club (I was two days too late), and I introduced myself.

Near the end of January/beginning of February, I happened to see a “Buddy Day post request for reviews” one of which was for this very book, The Marshall Plan. The book is a young adult novel, and sequel to the Partition of Africa, in Ard’s The Bennett Series.

Published in October 2015,
Julie
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Marshall Plan is a unique novel because it's not about a couple falling in love. Instead this story is about when relationships get real. It's also about a young woman having to make decisions about her career and settling down.

Molly has been engaged to her fiance Gavin for two years but she's starting to have doubts that he's the man she's meant to settle down with. She's felt betrayed by his own change of direction in life and struggles to fit in with his family, her future in laws. The st
Traci Rider
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Please note that I received a complementary copy of this work in exchange for my honest review.

I had a wonderful time reading The Marshall Plan by Olivia Ard. This was a fun, low key read that is outside of my usual interest range of fun (read: non-required) reading. I usually opt for more high, action, mystery and or adventures. Despite that, I enjoyed this as the writing was skilled and flowed well, crafting a beautiful world in a small southern college town in which I gladly took up residence
Samantha March
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Marshall Plan by Olivia Folmar Ard was intriguing from the start. Our heroine is Molly Marshall, and her life plan has turned out nothing like she thought it might. Though she is engaged to a true genius with multiple degrees and high-paying job offers, her fiancé chose the lackluster career of working in a mom-and-pop shop and spends his time trying to fix motorcycles. She had journalistic aspirations after getting her degrees, but all that has led to is small-time freelance articles and an ...more
Jaclyn Roche
How you view things and the world is everything. That's what Molly Marshall learns when her fiance's family reveals a secret. Previously she had been unhappy and stuck in a mundane job. Molly is a wonderful character that could be any of my friends. I enjoyed being in Molly's head for the duration of the story. I loved how the author Ms. Folmar Ard takes you on a journey of self-discovery.

This is the second book of the author's that I have read and I cannot wait to read the third!
Evan
Wendy
Jan 12, 2018
Elaine
Oct 12, 2016

• Fifty Shades of Beige (Book One of the Fifty Shades Parody)
  • Dead End Girl (Violet Darger #1)
  • Killing Season (Violet Darger #2)
  • Her Double Punishment
  • The Last Victim (Violet Darger #2.5)
  • The Girl in the Sand (Violet Darger #3)
  • Crossing Tinker's Knob
  • After the Fall: Jason's Tale (After the Fall, #1)
Olivia F. Ard is a writer, wife, and working mother of 2 living in Birmingham, Alabama. She is the author of The Bennett Series and Readers' Favorite 5-Star Seal Recipient, 'Tis the Season. Learn more by following her on social media or visiting her website!

www.oliviafolmarard.com

Facebook: @olivia.f.ard
Instagram: @oliviafard
Twitter: @oliviafard

Bennett (3 books)
  • The Partition of Africa (The Bennett Series #1)
  • This Dread Road (The Bennett Series #3)