Start by marking “Defender of the Realm (Defender of the Realm, #1)” as Want to Read:
Defender of the Realm (Defender of the Realm, #1)

Defender of the Realm

(Defender of the Realm #1)

A sweeping medieval adventure! The castle-town of Dansford is poised on the edge of the Welsh frontier in 12th century England. During a daring night attack, a simple merchant inadvertently becomes a hero and is taken on a journey of self-discovery to find the courage within him that he never knew he possessed. With new friends and a mistaken identity he is thrust into a w ...more
Published September 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published May 4th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Defender of the Realm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defender of the Realm

Pamela
Apr 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not good with words, but this book is so good I'm going to try and share my feelings.
The book starts with great visual descriptions and just enough background information to solidly ground the story.
The action starts right away and continues to carry you into the storyline with well described characters and personalities. The many storylines are kept in sequence with just enough decriptions to keep you from getting lost, yet you need to pay attention to keep everyone straight. I loved that,
Jennie
Dec 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must admit that I do not usually read historical fiction set in the medieval period. However, reading Corey Holst's Defender of the Realm made me rethink my reading preference. My interest in history initially pulled me in. However, as the story unfolded, I found so much more than a historical account of the period.

The novel mixes adventure, action, and even humor in just the right combination. The rich detail and compelling narrative drew me in and didn't let me go. In the process, I was tre
Alex
Jun 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book off of amazon as a recomendatiom and I am really glad that I found it. I really liked this storys character development and it's surroundings of the middle ages in England. This book was very fast paced and I found myself wanting to read it when I was at school. I finished it in two days and found myself wanting a sequel! I fully reccomend this book to anyone who loves adventure, castles, and action. Great Read !
Rick F.
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
12TH CENTURY ENGLAND COMES TO VIVID LIFE DUE THE THE TOP TIER LITERARY SKILLS OF COREY HOLST-BATTLE SCENES ARE EXPERTLY DRAWN AS ARE CHARACTERIZATIONS AND THOSE SMALL PERIOD DETAILS THAT SEPARATE THE GREAT FROM THE ORDINARY. READ AND TRAVEL BACK IN TIME!
RICK FRIEDMAN
FOUNDER
THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB

AN OFFICIAL JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB MUST READ
Rob Krabbe
Aug 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book defender of the realm, by Corey Holst is not only a wonderful glimpse into a historical period and culture, a time when legends were made, but is also a great story. The book started off interestingly enough, giving me a taste of castles and kings, great characters and adventurous tales set in the middle ages. Then as it warmed up it pulled me deeper and deeper, and I had a hard time setting it down. By about half way through, I just plain had to finish it.

The characters in the story w
Kate Eklund
Mar 20, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My thoughts on this book are rather complicated.
The premise was interesting and fresh: not many writers have tried to take on the perspective of a layman from this period, and it was a bold move. Holst's style is very modern and approachable, and he has an amazing depth and breadth of knowledge of medieval tactics, society, and weapons, all of which he relates with enthusiasm and narrative composition is choppy, shifting from action sequences to background information and back again. These tran
Annette
Jan 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read. Great modern style of writing dialog, but with all the historical background settings and events. Characters are vivid and real: the ones you love and the ones you love to hate! Very exciting and visual battle scenes. Feels like you're watching a movie while reading the book. Great for anyone who likes historical fiction, action/adventure. Perfect for young adults.
Karie
Jun 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned about life in early England. The author really did his homework. When I watched "The Tudors" on HBO, I heard many of the same terms used, and saw a lot of the same war strategies used. The personal lives of the characters really drew me in. I loved this story.
Barbara
Jun 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a joy to read and not because I know the author. I love to be teleported to places I would, otherwise, have no chance of visiting. A great read!
Roxanne
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorable story. Lent my copy to a friend. Highly recommended.
Phyllis Griffiths

Defender of the Realm is the story of an unlikely hero at the turbulent English/Welsh border in the year 1172. Overnight guard duty along the city wall at the small English castle town of Danford is the duty of every able bodied man and this is what brings the town cobbler James to be in the right/wrong place at the right/wrong time when dawn brings a surprise attack from Welsh separatists.

James fights for his life and in doing so helps to save the castle and hence the town attached to it. Jam

Corey Holst
Jan 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
What can I say? It's my book, so of course I'm going to give it 5 stars! It goes without saying that it is EXACTLY the kind of book I like to read. I love stories that transport you to another time, or another world; stories that spark your imagination and provide enough imagery for you to be able to see the whole thing in your mind's eye. Defender of the Realm is a fun medieval adventure full of castles, sword play, a damsel in distress and unlikely heroes.

If you want to know more go to www.co
Janet R
Mar 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book from Goodreads. This is not a book I would have picked out for myself but was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It took me about 50 pages to really get into it but once I did I found myself wanting to know what was going to happen all the way up to the last page. I enjoyed all the characters especially James and Allyn. Some of the fight scenes were a little brutal but nothing I couldn't handle. Can't wait to read the next book.
Roger
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read! Fast-paced action. Good humor. Awesome characters. Well done!
Katy
A GoodReads First Reads Winner book.

Okay, didn't finish it. Gave it to the library for the book sale.
Fred Fanning
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Really good story. This is a page turner.
Catherine Alhinc
I've just started reading this book and find it enjoyable; however it sounds more like a prank than anything else, for the moment. The style is a bit too modern for 12th century England.The background is strange and I was very surprised to read about a meal with baked potatoes, when it is well-known that potatoes weren't introduced to Europe till the 16th century. People eat on plates, instead of the trenchers or slices of bread that were used at the time. Thus I wouldn't say that the novel prov ...more
Michelle
An interesting enough story line. There was a lot of battles/action going on, and the narrative was somewhat choppy, changing to someone's memories of an earlier time. Some of the words used seemed out of place for a medieval story. Maybe my husband/son would enjoy this more than I did.
Keith Leydon

Juvenile,
Steven
Mar 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really well put together story which I had a great time reading.
Ciera
Aug 06, 2012
Armine Aghayan
Feb 17, 2011
Clete Jones
rated it did not like it
Oct 30, 2013
Sherrie
May 30, 2018
Jim
May 29, 2014
Defender of the Realm is also available for your Kindle 3 7 Oct 19, 2010 08:06AM
  • A Plague of Sinners
  • The Divine Sacrifice (Arthurian Mysteries, #2)
  • Reluctant Queen (Marguerite de Valois #2)
  • The Wedding Dress: Masquerade Bride
  • The Minstrel's Tale
  • The Daykeeper's Grimoire (Prophecy of Days, #1)
  • The Omega Scroll
  • Rendezvous Rock
  • Liberty (Dogs of World War II)
  • Ada: Legend of a Healer
  • Major Lord David (Regency Trilogy, #2)
  • The Devil's Paintbox
  • The Last Plantagenets (The Plantagenets, #4)
  • Divine Ashes (Imprinted Souls, #3)
  • A Beacon of Hope (The Sixth World of Men, #1)
  • Dante's Journey
  • In All Probability
  • The Lens and the Looker
Corey Holst is a native Southern Californian. He graduated Cum Laude from California State University at Long Beach with a degree in Theatrical Design and has been working behind the scenes in live theatre for over thirty years.
Corey resides in Orange County with his wife, daughter, a golden retriever, a superior-than-thou cat, a collection of swords & daggers, gargoyles, dragons, magic wand

Defender of the Realm (3 books)
  • Defender of the North (Defender of the Realm, #2)
  • Defender of the Faithful (Defender of the Realm, #3)