Start by marking “Claire Daly: Reluctant Soul Saver” as Want to Read:
Claire Daly: Reluctant Soul Saver

Claire Daly: Reluctant Soul Saver

When seventeen year-old librarian wannabe Claire Daly is dragged kicking, screaming and cursing from everything she loves—her mam, her cozy Irish village and the dreamy boy next door—to take up arms in the battle of good versus evil, she learns the hard way that sometimes you don’t get to choose your own destiny, destiny chooses you.
Claire’s life plan is simple: head off
Published September 20th 2015 (first published September 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Claire Daly, please sign up.

Stephanie Ward
3.5 Stars

'Claire Daly: Reluctant Soul Saver' is an exciting young adult paranormal novel that brings a breath of fresh air to the genre. The story follows our main character - Claire - a normal teenage girl who can't wait to graduate high school and start college in the fall majoring in library studies, so she can be a librarian - her dream job since she was a kid. Claire has normal teen issues - self esteem problems, a huge crush on one of her best friends for the past several years, a snotty c
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Okay so I saw this and read the blurb and was like "eff yeah, a YA novel that is going to be similar to Buffy". But it wasn't really that. It was more of a look at religion and faith in the battle of "good" versus "evil" and I wasn't really feeling it. I liked the premise of the book and a lot of the aspects of it, but it was a little too preachy for me.

The world building was pretty great, I liked the idea of the Il
Melissa
Dec 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I won this book from a goodreads giveaway.
I would give this a 3.5. Claire Daly is well written and captivating read. Though it shares the same plot idea of good vs. evil and the idea of a teen fighting demons; Michele Brouder has managed to set this book apart from them. Though I did enjoy it, it was just a bit to religious for me.
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)

I totally went in blind with this one. I had no idea what it was about, where it took place, or anything. Once again I saw a pretty cover and went for it.

Thank you pretty cover!

This book takes place in the place I most want to visit some day in my life - Ireland. I couldn't help but imagine green landscape with rocky ruins of castles as I read. Thanks Michele Brouder, you only made me want to visit Ireland even more than I already did.

So what is this book about you ask?

It is about Claire Daly.
Laura.125Pages
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted on [www.125pages.com] soul I was not expecting Claire Daly: Reluctant Soul Saver to be as good as it was. It had a good premise, but I was afraid it would life up to the synopsis. I'm glad I was wrong. Claire is a seventeen-year-old who discovers she is an Illuminate, a warrior in the battle between Heaven and Hell. Fighting against her legacy with all that she has, Claire resists all help and pushes her family away. Adding to her troubles, Claire is an atheist and ...more
Chapter by Chapter
What would you do if the world as you knew it changed in the blink of an eye? If one day, you were a regular teen doing regular teen things, and then BAM, you find out that you have supernatural powers and that basically you are destined to help God in his crusade against evil?

Well, for Claire Daly, that. Just. Happened. One day, she’s helping her Gram with holy water by a well, and the next minute she’s got powerful white beams coming out of her hands. And that’s not even the half of it! It’s a
Tamara
4 1/2 stars
Claire Daly was just your typical teenage girl whose life ambition was to become a librarian and to hopefully get her crush, Chas, to finally notice her outside the friend zone. Unfortunately for her, those dreams flew out the window when one day she discovers that she is an Illuminata – “a soul that has been chosen by God and entrusted to Saint Michael for special work across the different dimensions”. The Illuminatae are a holy army that not only fights demons on earth, but in Hell
S.A. Larsen
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A stranger, friendship, attraction left not returned, and family history with a whole lot of souls getting in the mix.

Claire is your average young adult girl simply moseying along her young adult world when BAM! something happens that tells her all is not as it seems. I guess as YA readers one might expect this sort of thing, but you might not expect where this one goes.

I was drawn in from the opening scene, which builds a strong introduction to Claire, her family relationships, and her current
circumspect4
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review can be read in its entirety at www.booklovercircumspect4.com.

Claire Daly dreams of going to college and becoming a librarian and having her crush and best friend, Chas, fall in love with her and live happily ever after. Little does Claire know that her future is not what she plans it to be when Claire suddenly learns that she has a divine gift and many other secrets that have yet to be revealed to her, including a very handsome man, Ari.

Taken under her aunt’s wing to learn more about her
Kathy
Claire Daly: Reluctant Soul Saver was an enjoyable read and sets up nicely for what hopefully will be a series. Claire is an average 17 year old - content in her ways with a part-time job and aspirations of college, secretly in love with her best friend, and feeling the effects of a life high in sugar and low in exercise. This all changes with the sudden manifestation of special powers that bring her into a world of good and evil. This book loosely uses themes of Christian spirituality as a basi ...more
Diana
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
I really loved this book because it is different and very interesting. I couldn’t put the book down. I thought the characters were really believable. I thought the plot was awesome and I felt that I was right there seeing everything that happened. I could visualize it in my mind. I thought the twist in the plot was great, never saw it coming. This story had no sex and few cuss words. It did have some scary paranormal parts to it but it is still a really great book to read. I highly recommend thi ...more
UniqueBookJunkie
Nov 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I won the book through a good reads giveaway.. I was excited to get the book and start it promptly.. I think overall the book was good.. I think the plot was interesting as was the characters.. I wish the book would have had a tad more on books or her reading.. I have a small soft spot for Ari I think though Chas is up there too.. oh what ends up happening? The book definitely left off for more to follow..
Patrick Hodges
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Though I'm not a religious person at all, I was intrigued by the concept of this story. A teenage girl finds out she's an Illiminatae: a powerful being whose destiny it is to save souls from the depths of Hell itself. Yikes. Makes high school classes seem pretty paltry, huh?

Claire Daly is willful, stubborn, and at times downright obnoxious. When this bombshell gets dropped on her, she has to give up her dreams of becoming a librarian and train for her duties with her rather gruff Aunt Julia (who
Today We Did
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Today We Did
Claire Daly has just finished school and has dreams of becoming a librarian. She is tall with flaming red hair and is in love with her best friend, Chas, who is completely clueless. She is just an average teenager, living with her Mam and her brother, getting dragged to Mass and Holy sites by her Gran. That is until an extraordinary thing happens when she spills holy water on her hands, and suddenly her whole life changes. She is an Illuminata, a soul saver, it is her destiny and now
Lissyiszy
This book's summary intrigued me and I enjoyed the story for the most part although I'm not sure I would say after reading it that I would consider it memorable to me. The pacing is decent and the action compelled me to keep reading so I found the writing well done. I did find myself skimming some of the parts with the description as I wasn't as interested in those details. I loved the idea of a book nerd gaining powers, I just think the execution didn't quite do the idea justice.

I quite enjoyed
Marilyn Vix
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Claire Daly is a typical, geeky Irish teenager. Her only wish is to make it through her bookshop-job-working-summer so she can start going to college to become a librarian. If she gets up the nerve to tell the boy next door she is in love with him, even better. But when an accident at a holy well reveals she has mysterious powers only worthy of a group called the Illuminatae, her world is turned upside down.

Suddenly, her family is at risk by the Unholy, the group that hunt down and try to stop b
J.A. Christy
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It was exciting, well paced and I read it in two sittings. Without giving away too much, Clare is a very special young lady with a gift. Set in Ireland, you really get a feel for the location through the writing and the characterization in this book is superb.

You're in for some surprises with this reluctant soul saver, can't wait for the next one!
Robin
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fast read. Having ones faith tested can take many forms. For Claire Daly it is completely life changing. Nothing will be the same for her. Can't wait to read more. The action was just right, felt like we slid head long into the ending wanting more. Thanks to the author, won this in a Facebook drawing.
Lori Georgeff
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderful

There is so much I could say about this book, but to say it all would spoil the story. It's hard to put down. Well written, funny, sad and eye opening.
Nicko Sprayberry
Don’t be reluctant to read this one!!!

The first Couple Chapters Were slow going. Once hit Chapter 4 it was full steam ahead!!
The starts out introducing vs to 17 year old. Claire Daly, and her finding out she is ah Illuminate. Part of the Army of Light.

Without giving to much spoilers, Claire ends up going to stay with her Aunt Julia. Also an Illuminate. Julia Shows Claire how to use her abilities that come with being an Illuminate. (Which are pretty awesome!

The writing in this book is great! Clai
Janet Martin
Mar 16, 2017
N.N. Light
Jun 27, 2017

• Overpowered
  • The Hawkweed Legacy (Hawkweed Prophecy #2)
  • Ever Near (Secret Affinity, #1)
  • Double Eclipse (Summer on East End, #2)
  • The Turncoat's Gambit (The Inventor's Secret, #3)
  • Spells and Sorcery (Lexie Carrigan Chronicles, #1)
  • Bane (Coven, #2)
  • A Halloween Scare at My House: Prepare If You Dare
  • The Baby Unicorn
  • Date with the Dead (Ripsters, #1)
  • Inheritance (Keys of Power. Book 1)
  • Eternal Hearts
  • Diary of a Teenage Jewel Thief
  • Leeway
  • Afterlight
  • Abandoned
  • Mad About the Hatter
  • Starlet's Man (The Starlet, #0.5)