Start by marking “A Mother's Story” as Want to Read:
A Mother's Story

A Mother's Story

At the start of 2014, Rosie Batty was an ordinary single mum doing everything in her power to give her son, Luke, the very best life she could. But her world changed forever when her troubled ex-partner, Greg Anderson, killed Luke in an horrendous attack at the local cricket ground in February that year. Rosie had suffered years of family violence, and had intervention ...more
Paperback, First, 324 pages
Published September 21st 2015 by HarperCollins Publisher

To ask other readers questions about A Mother's Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mother's Story

Start your review of A Mother's Story
Elaine
Oct 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm really struggling with how to review this book as it's not a work of fiction and I feel that I have to be very mindful of what and how I say things. Most of us know this tragic story and it's outcome and as a mother of an 11 year old boy my heart goes out to Rosie. But reading this I couldn't help feeling frustrated and often angry, not just with our system but also with Rosie. I really didn't want to feel this way but I just kept thinking, "Why Rosie?" Why didn't you leave the country, why ...more
Sharon Metcalf
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 2018
A Mothers Story is Rosie Battie's biography and her story is one you would not wish upon your worst enemy. I was familiar with Rosie's name and vaguely aware of her story but I didn't know the details. In 2015 she was awarded Australian of the Year but the events leading up to her nomination were heartbreaking.

Having moved from the UK to Australia in the 80's, Rosie eventually made her home in the semi rural suburb of Tyabb where she was busy raising her son Luke. Though she and ex-partner Greg
Julie Garner
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
What a powerful book about a woman and her fight for herself and her son. A nine-year old boy has summed Rosie up as a hero because 'through your profound loss, you have created so much hope.' This sums up the book completely.
I was in tears upon finishing the prologue. Those tears disappeared until about three quarters of the way through, as Rosie told us her story. She told us of a life remembered and how that built into the life she lives now. She tells us about the highs and lows, but most
Gillian
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I knew this book would be hard to read - the story is well known and heartbreakingly tragic. However I wasn't prepared for how angry it would make me. Not at Rosie, never at Rosie - she describes herself at one point as a frog in boiling water, not aware of exactly how bad it was getting. The constant abuse she suffered at the hands of a mentally ill man would have worn her down in ways I can't imagine. No, I'm angry at the system that allowed any of this to happen. From a justice system that ...more
Lisa
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rosie Batty is an absolute inspiration. In 2014, her son Luke was murdered by his father, Greg, after years of abuse and torment- which was thoroughly ignored by the authorities. This is Rosie's story of her life with Greg, her years as a mother to Luke, the day of the murder, and her life now - including how she is advocating to end domestic violence and improve services available to women in these situations.
I don't understand how Rosie gets so much hate. She was 2015s Australian of the Year,
Kolumbina
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
With respect to all the nice reviews on this book, I am really disappointed with many things Rosie Batty said in her book.
And I do hate Greg for killing Luke!
Anna
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was traumatic to read. Her story is both so frustrating & so horrifying. This is definitely not a ‘feel good’ novel and it is hard to pick it up and continue to read but I believe it’s vital for us as Australians to hear these stories. We need to be willing to look these women in the eyes (metaphorically) and be confronted by what is happening in our neighbourhoods on a daily basis. We need to be motivated to change.
Fiona
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I will be back for a proper review when I recover from reading this book. Gut-wrenching. Illuminating. Essential. The end is admirable in terms of its analytical approach to what went wrong & what needs to change in terms of policy and processes in Australia.
Timothy Webb
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This heartbreaking book is one that every Australian should read, because it speaks to the pernicious horror that permeates every corner of our society. Rosie gives an honest, unflinching and courageous account of her life under the debilitating control of a man who, while he is clearly mentally unwell, would repetitively engage in what amounts to torture tactics within the cycle of Family Violence. I make reference to his mental health for a couple of reasons, one being that the system failed ...more
Helen
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book. I don't generally read books of this type, but I am glad I read this one. Whilst I knew the story was very true and very real, it felt unreal, like I was reading a story that someone had made up. And I guess I was hoping for the sake of Rosie and Luke that it was 'just a story'. I truly feel for Rosie, Luke and their family. To have gone through all that they have is just so hard to comprehend. I guess until we are in the position she was in, it is so very hard to ...more
Nicole
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Standing ovation, and continuous APPLAUSE: For Rosie Batty's honest and detailed telling; and her resolute determination to make changes to the way society deals with family violence.

I had so many comments I wanted to make but find myself with nothing even remotely adequate. I moved through Rosie's account with frustration, anger, and tears. I highlighted sections I wanted to quote for my review but there is only one that sums it up- "No mother should have to attend their own child's funeral.
Jenny
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lizz Sayers
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A book that every Australian should read, especially our politicians. All the government need do is to examine Rosie's journey to see where the system falls down and where money should be invested to support victims of family violence. Hopefully this book will change community attitudes so there will be no more victim-blaming. An amazing, thoughtful, articulate and extremely harrowing story from a courageous survivor.
Tiffany
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Take a stand

This book is fantastic. I couldn't put it down. I have recently completed advocacy training at a domestic violence shelter and this book explains the timeline of violence (starting with emotional) so well and in a way that reaches and educates people. For those people that say "why doesn't she/he just leave the violent relationship" I implore them to read this book.
Kristin Alford
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
To hear her story in detail and half way through - why aren't they helping her! The inevitable conclusion and glimpses of the unsettling, ever present threats many women must feel every day. Worth understanding.
Melinda
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve become Australian of the Year because I am the person no one wants to be, the mother who has suffered the insufferable.

It seems unnatural to give such a heartbreaking tragedy a five star rating. It's so hard to fathom losing a child, especially in such a brutal way, that you can't help but admire Rosie's brave and honest telling of this story.

There are several things that stood out to me:

- The subtle way that domestic violence can start
- The lack of help and support available to Rosie (and
Tony
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book although obviously knowing how it all ended made the first parts of the book hard to read. Just leave, stay In England I kept thinking, knowing full well this was not the case. I found it fascinating too as she tried to explain how it felt to receive such an honour as Australian of the Year, all due to a tragic story. She was most certainly let down by the system, and I wonder how the even more vulnerable victims get on. The sad part is that since this book was written ...more
A.E. Dooland
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really fascinating look a family violence from someone intimately acquainted with it! I found the beginning and the framing of Rosie's life a little long, but I can certainly understand why she wanted to show herself as a whole person without the violence.

Absolutely worth a read for anyone looking to connect over similar experiences or looking to understand what it's like to live the violence.
Kirby
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rosie narrated her talking book; you could hear the emotion in her voice which was very meaningful to listen to. 3.5 stars.
Elizabeth Lowe
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The horrors of family breakdown, family violence and mental illness all rolled up into one heinous tale.
Clearly mental illness played a big part in this story but once again the underlying outcome is a man employing bullying tactics to achieve his own ends.
Zohal
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
4.5 Stars
Lynley
May 20, 2016 added it
Most of us living in Australia would know the story already. I found myself at various points wishing Halen Garner had got her teeth into it because not enough time has elapsed for the distanced reflection to have taken place. This is more a grim detailing of events than a dive into the psyche.

But by the time I got to the end I was glad it hadn't been told in that dark, disturbing way Garner has mastered after many years of her own writing and psychoanalysis, because it would have been
Sharon
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ok, I am going to be honest. I recall when Luke Batty died being angry with his mother for allowing this to happen, for not protecting her son. I recall being further incensed when she spoke to the media and stated that Luke's father loved him. "What!!" I thought, how could she think that when he just killed his son.

Then I read this book.

I was wrong. Rosie did everything she could to protect her son, but unfortunately the system let her down. I was ashamed at my previous thinking and with all
Kirsti
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A really brilliant autobiography about an absolutely heartbreaking event that of course I knew about, but I never knew the details. Rosie's life story was interesting in it's own right, but add in the lives of Luke and Greg and I was enthralled. The writing is personal and emotive, and really draws the reader in.

Highly recommended, five stars.
Lyndall Cowley
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Honest, inspiring, heartbreaking. How Rosie kept her head above water I have no idea. She says she is not sure she is making a difference, of course you are Rosie! Let down by the system again and again, Rosie's Story is one of horror that no one should he to live. A must read for anyone seeking inspiration for whatever reason, to just get in with life.
Miffy
Harrowing, emotional, heartbreaking, and a 'must read'. I read it in a single sitting.
Michelle
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was very hard to read - Rosie and Luke were failed in so many ways by a system that should have protected them.
Tess
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully honest and heart breaking narrative of Rosie Batty's life to date. Inspiring too.
Paige Higham
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
An honest & tragic tale that needs to be heard. Hats off to Rosie.
Zelda
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Unique, heart wrenching, unapologetic, frank, honest, insightful, humble, straight forward. I am full of admiration for Rosie Batty, who has shared the most tragic time of her life with us, but yet still has managed to create something positive from it. I really appreciate the way that Rosie does not sugar coat anything that happened in her life, but is completely honest, open, and articulate about it. Her journey from victim of domestic violence, to grieving mum, to a public speaker who is ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Eggshell Skull: A Memoir About Standing Up, Speaking Out and Fighting Back
  • Everything to Live For: The Inspirational Story of Turia Pitt
  • Able: Gold Medals, Grand Slams and Smashing Glass Ceilings
  • The Murder of Allison Baden-Clay
  • Working Class Boy (Working Class Boy, #1)
  • Any Ordinary Day: Blindsides, Resilience and What Happens After the Worst Day of Your Life
  • Unmasked