Start by marking “Glory in a Camel's Eye: A Perilous Trek Through the Greatest African Desert” as Want to Read:
Glory in a Camel's Eye: A Perilous Trek Through the Greatest African Desert

Glory in a Camel's Eye: A Perilous Trek Through the Greatest African Desert

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  104 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Marvelously entertaining and frequently harrowing, Glory in a Camel's Eye recounts the American travel writer Jeffrey Tayler's dangerous three-month journey across the Moroccan Sahara in the company of Arab nomads.
Glory in a Camel's Eye gives us an intimate, often surprising portrait of Saharan Africa: the cultural conflicts between native Berbers and Arabs, the clashes b
Published February 15th 2005 by Mariner Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Glory in a Camel's Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glory in a Camel's Eye

Alice
What is it with men who decide they want to do something epic and dangerous, then write a book to complain about it? The author complains about his companions "traditional" habits: talking about God/Islam, washing with sand/water (not soap), and then he complains because they're too western: watch too much TV, live in concrete houses (not tents). Sorry, but your noble savage doesn't exist - just because you read Thesiger's book about Arabia doesn't entitle you to find the perfect, unspoiled nati ...more
Teo
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
From Sahara to the Sea by foot, camel and whatever comes your way. It's a totally great concept and theoretically a great story and if the author wasn't such a snarky jerk about most of the people and places he encounters it would be even better. Dude - if you don't actually like it there, don't go. One of the common and fundamental problems with travel literature, rivaled only by its inverse - the complete and total awe and reverence of all things foreign, regardless of whether the things deser ...more
thereadytraveller
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Glory in a Camel's Eye (also known as Valley of the Casbahs) is a beautifully written account of Tayler's arduous trek with Ruhhal Bedouin in 2001 on foot and camel through the Draa Valley in South East Morocco. A book conjuring up wonderful desert landscapes, this is a modern-day version to rival Arabian Sands which, in similar fashion to Thesiger's book, laments the lost nomadic life of the Bedouin.

While volunteering for the Peace Corps, Tayler hears of a wondrous valley in the south of Morocc
Mike
May 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have read a few books by this author now, and look forward to more. This is another in the series of trips to places that no one ever goes but Jeffrey Tayler - and I for one am glad he does and writes so well about it.

This time it is a trip down the Draa Valley in Morocco with two guides, three camels, and an observant eye for details, which he shares with the reader as the journey progresses. Some hardships are obvious and somewhat expected - cantankerous camels, the desert itself, sparse su
Max Carmichael
Feb 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
As a travel writer, the neo-Victorian Tayler shares in the new fad of young professionals: "experience" as a consumer commodity. Alienated from the traditions of his own society, he attempts to buy a traditional experience from members of an exotic society colonized and degraded by the very Anglo-European imperial culture that constitutes his own ironic inheritance.

Unfortunately, his inspiration is the romantic adventurer Wilfred Thesiger rather than the more domestically-minded Freya Stark. Clu
Michael
Jan 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Probably Jeffrey Tayler doesn't come up with the silly titles for his books that emphasize the danger in his travel escapades. This is the second of his travel books that I have read and he does seem to like what might otherwise be considered ill-advised trips - but he survives to write (and publish) about it.

Tayler speaks Arabic (and Russian) and his descriptions of his interactions with his Arab guides are the most interesting aspect of this book. It took my about fifty pages to get into this
Rogue Reader
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel-africa
The best read yet on the harsh realities and romantic illusions of the deserts and their peoples, a trek by foot and camel from Mhamid, southeast of Marrakesh and at the head of the Draa to Tan Tan on the west coast of Morocco, the Atlantic. Fairly current too, years of drought have destroyed much of the nomadic desert tribes and true believers hector without ceasing. Tayler's command of Arabic, his observant nature and background knowledge bring wealth in his words, and glory in a camel's eye.
Jody Grant
Apr 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
A very good travel memoir--a genre I usually like the idea of more than the execution of. Because as much as I enjoy stories from actual live, I get frustrated when I feel robbed of story or craft.
While sometimes I was annoyed by this narrator, I enjoyed his honesty and that he didn't hide or color his biases. It made his insights and his joys all the richer.
This part of the world is especially intriguing and foreign to me. I enjoyed the isolation of his quest as well as the frequent social in
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Jul 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel
Tayler along with two guides takes off across the Sahara Desert. I can add this trip to the list of trips I will never take. Worst of all was the picture Tayler gives of his stop in the home of a Muslim saint; flies covering the food…children with snotty noses…the smell of animal dung coming from the room next door…green meat…men picking their noses while they ate…the intense desert heat….In every village Tayler stopped, locals told him he was the first tourist they’d met. Mmmm…big surprise.
Tiffany
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Mildly interesting travelogue on its own, written by a former Peace Corps volunteer who returns to Morocco. I loved it for evoking parts of Morocco that I happen to know well, especially the Berber villages of the Souss-Draa.
Tony Robledo
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Travel and learn about a disappearing people, learn about history and local costumes with the vivid descriptions of the author and unintended humorous situations that occur when you travel on a dessert accompanied by two camels and two guides for over a month. I love Jeffrey Tayler's books.
Sphinx Feathers
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel, yes
Well-described, interesting and informative. You can close your eyes and see yourself in the desert. His emotions are well-done and well-written. You can easily put yourself in his shoes and everything he goes through.
Julie
Sep 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel-lit
Excellent story of traveling through Morocco's Draa Valley by mule and camel that provides thoughtful insight into the various ethnic groups in Morocco, desertification, and the Moroccan-Islamic culture. Highly recommend for anyone traveling to Morocco.
Jeanne
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because the subject matter was so unknown to me, I found reading this book to be a real adventure.
Bonnie Jeanne
Jan 25, 2009 marked it as to-read
Glory in a Camel's Eye: A Perilous Trek Through the Greatest African Desert by Jeffrey Tayler (2005)
Ida
Apr 02, 2008 rated it liked it
A very interesting book about Morocco and that part of the African desert.
Jenny Gendel
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun Read, perfect for being sick, or being sick of the cold. Excellent descriptions, and happy to have traveled vicarioulsy with him. I'll be looking for some of his other books in the future.
Donna
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Where the @&$¥#% is the map??
Marsha
Nov 20, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: unfiled
Carol Duke. Morrocco. Another abt. congo "Facing the Congo" Sahel "Angry Wind" Siberia "River of no Reprieve" --
Kevin
Mar 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Arduous trek through the Moroccan desert. Provides an interesting meditataion on how the global economy has degraded the integrity of even isolated people.
Diane Robinson
Aug 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
It was a wonderful adventure (if you weren't actually there!).
Some passages were uncomfortable to read, but all in all very interesting and enlightening
Christina
Jun 24, 2012
Tiffany Anderson
Feb 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jeffrey Tayler is a U.S.-born author and journalist. He is the Russia correspondent for the Atlantic Monthly and a contributor to several other magazines as well as to NPR's All Things Considered. He has written several non-fiction books about different regions of the world which include Facing the Congo, Siberian Dawn, Glory in a Camel's Eye, and Angry Wind, the latter being a portrait of a journ ...more