Start by marking “The Skylark's Song (The Skylark Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Skylark's Song (The Skylark Saga, #1)

The Skylark's Song

(The Skylark Saga #1)

A Saskwyan flight mechanic with uncanny luck, seventeen-year-old Robin Arianhod grew up in the shadow of a decade-long war. But the skies are stalked by the Coyote—a ruthless Klonn pilot who picks off crippled airships and retreating soldiers. And as the only person to have survived an aerial dance with Saskwya’s greatest scourge, Robin has earned his attention.

As a pilot,
Paperback
Published by REUTS Publications, LLC.

To ask other readers questions about The Skylark's Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Skylark's Song

Start your review of The Skylark's Song (The Skylark Saga, #1)
- ̗̀ DANY  ̖́- (danyreads)
. : ☾⋆ — 3 ★

READ THIS REVIEW ON MY BLOG!!!

ARC provided from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review (thank you REUTS Publications!!)

Robin Arianhod, a mid-flight turned pilot fighting in a long running war between two countries, is the first to survive a fight against her nation’s most feared enemy pilot: the Coyote. on the cusp of her transition from flight mechanic to pilot, on her peak amongst her peers and a hero to her (race/religion-torn-ish) coun
Alexandra
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 1018
I received an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review. Review can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

In a world torn by war and cultural differences, Robin Arianhod is a kick-ass flying mechanic. But the skies are plagued by the Coyote, a pilot who never leaves anyone alive behind him. But when an accident will make Robin a proper pilot, she will realize that there are more to the war than she ever imagined.
And that the Coyote has his own leash too.

Following the end of her "Accidental Turn" series,
Tina
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley and publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
Skylark’s Song is an enemy to lovers’ book about Robin who is a poor midflight mechanic in a war that has been going on for 10 years with no end in sight. She becomes an accidental hero pilot when she is the first to survive a mid-air flight (dance) with the Coyote the enemy’s most notorious pilot. She is shot down and imprisoned by him. But all is not as it seems.

Robin is a wonderful protag
Shelley
*Source* Kindle Unlimited
*Genre* Steampunk / Fiction
*Rating* 4.0

*Thoughts*

The Skylark's Song is the first of two parts in author J.M. Frey's The Skylark Saga. This is a series filled with intrigue, forbidden romance, and a touch of steampunk. Sergeant Robin Arianhood is a mid-flight mechanic and a Sealie in the Saskwyan Air Patrol. Saskwyan has been at war with Klonn for 10 years and they haven't exactly been winning. The Coyote is the Klonn's ace pilot. He has taken down more Saskwyan aeroplane
Andrea
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trigger warnings: Violence, war, death, imprisonment, some misogyny and racism.

So I still don’t really know what “steampunk” means, but I sure had fun with this one. It reminded me a bit of Code Name Verity, but I liked it much more than I did CNV. All is good.

First, I must admit that I really enjoyed the characters. Robin was spirited, brave, and a very worthy main character, and overall I really liked her. I understood her frustrations with the way everybody treated her, and she’s definitely a
Anna Tan
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copy
I dunno. It took a while to actually get into this. It felt like the first three chapters were such a slog to get into. Is it because it’s steampunk? Is it because of the exposition? Is it because of the voice? I don’t know! It kinda bugged me a bit because I really wanted to like this book like super a lot because hey, it’s JM Frey. Lol (Sorry, I know I have biases). Maybe my head just wasn’t in the right place at the beginning, when it takes off, it takes off.

Robin Arianhod dances the sky wit
Megan Rivera
Aug 29, 2020 rated it liked it
A flight mechanic named Robin Arianhod is being stalked by Coyote who intimidates fellow fliers. In this steampunk romance Robin take Coyote. It was a good book and thank you to NetGalley for giving me an ARC of this book.
Urotnik
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alright, where to begin?

In short:
The Skylark's Song makes for a fun, quick YA steampunk romp that contains just enough dark intrigue, military fantasy, and world-building atmosphere to spice things up. The plot touches upon darker themes of war and social complexities, but always keeps itself firmly within the lighter topics of dystopian adventure.

In embarrassing length:
It's difficult to write a cohesive review for a story that touched upon so many of my oddly specific interests, so I'l
Lori
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A sweeping adventure that is visual painted by the author's words. Robin' s world is uprooted by war as she uses her abilities as an apprentice mechanic to survive. Her impressive skills gets Robin the attention of the Coyote that will put Robin and her country into a a harsh game that will have a high cost of the path taken. Highly recommended. ...more
Adrianna
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Big fan of JM's Accidental Turn series that I was stoked to pick up this title. Though steampunk dystopia isn't my go-to flavour of book, I enjoyed how thorough the world was. I am always happy to see diversity in characters, and women being badass is a win for me, so that made me want to read more. The relationships got steamy (pun intended) and the dynamic of how that came about was a hard read but I liked that it wasn't a formulaic approach to fantasy romance; it got me mad and sympathetic an ...more
Tamara
*I received a free copy of this ebook from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

My initial interest in this book wavered for a while, but once I got into it, I just wanted to keep reading. I'm glad that I have the next book already on my Kindle (thank you, NetGalley & REUTS Publications) so that I can continue reading once I've finished this review . . . and, you know, gotten my kids through their remote learning for the day. Because that's the time I live in right now.

Robin (17) is S
Megan
Sep 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya-lit, fantasy
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a copy of this book.

Sometimes, I judge a book's quality by how quickly I read it. Usually, this is a good thing: it means I was absorbed in the story, that it was a page turner. The Skylark's Song was an exception to this rule. I read it quickly not because I was absorbed in the story but rather because I wanted to get it over with. And quite honestly, had I not requested this book on Netgalley, I wouldn't have finished it.

I requested The Skylark's Song
Tatteredturtle
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
tatteredturtlestittertattle.wordpress...

I decided after my month break to take a look at Netgalley again and find a book to review that caught my attention. I went through quite a few pages until I found The Skylark’s song by J.M. Frey. It is a sci-fi, fantasy, steampunk, YA book about a teenage girl during a war who adores the sky’s. I thought this novel had an energy like Sarah Maas’ A Court of Thorns and Roses, which I recently just finished.

The Skylark’s Song has a big World War 2 theme beh
Mimi
[this ARC was kindly provided to me by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.]

The Skylark's Song is the first book in a steampunk duology by J.M.Frey. It follows Robin, a plane mechanic, during a war between her people and the Klonn, an enemy nation.

It took me some time to get into, but once I did, I sucked the rest in during one night. The reason for that was probably the info dump at the beginning, which wasn't critically long, but it still discouraged me. I simply got o
Nicki Markus
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall, The Skylark's Song was a fun read. I loved the steampunk elements and the idea of the glider fights. Robin was an interesting character, and I enjoyed the fact that she wasn't perfect. She had her faults, so I could relate to her. There were some issues. The religion/race aspects were portrayed as important yet were never fully developed. Also, while I liked the Coyote as a character, the way he constantly said "my dear" was a little grating; it kept making me think of moustache-twirlin ...more
Eva
Jul 04, 2020 rated it liked it
I requested this book on Netgalley in return for an honest review

Mixed emotions about this one. The synopsis intrigued me, I am always down for a Stockholm-syndrome story, because I find it an interesting phenomenon in general.

What I enjoyed about the book was how well the world and the life of Robin was described, it made it easy to see the story in my head and I do enjoy that while reading, making it my own sort of movie.

What bothered me were the characters and the dialogue. It felt over the
Hollyann
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I actually listened to JM Frey read this on her YouTube channel which was a delight!

I've read all of Frey's other books so I was so excited to start this one. It actually was shorter and quicker than a lot of her other work but it was no less full of incredibly-written relationships and worldbuilding. Robin's relationships with her parents and with Al were both very three-dimensional without spending that much time with either of them.

But of course we're ignoring the main plot. The Coyote is in
Leona Wyatt (Lennie Reads)
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, arc
Thanks to Netgalley & REUTS Publications for my ARC.

I didn't quite know what to expect from this book other than steampunk but it's so much more.

It reminded me of The Hunger Games, but a bit lighter. We had warring countries, steampunk air craft, poverty, religious tensions, classism, enemies to lovers, a kind of beauty & the beast situation and a totally badass MC.

I absolutely loved our MC Robin; she was buff, an engineer, knew who she was, very skilled at her job, down to earth and funny. A
S Tondra
There is a many years old war between Saskwyan and Klonn and Robin, a mid-flight, is pushed right into the thick of it when she out flies Coyote, the Klonn best pilot, trying to save herself and her injured pilot. Turns out she’s a natural flyer (of gliders) and is promoted to a Captain where she now flies and hunts Klonn airships. However, Robin’s luck ends when her glider may have been compromised and she is captured by the Coyote. Coyote may not be what he seems as Robin is kept prisoner. The ...more
Marissa
The Skylark's Song is about a young Seelie woman named Robin AKA Skylark as she lives her life amidst a war. All the young flight mechanic dreams about is flying among the clouds. After a series of events, her dream to be a pilot comes true. However, the enemy, Coyote has taken an interest in her and chases her across the sky without ever attacking. When her plane crashes and she's taken as captive, Robin must figure out how to get back home and figure out her feelings for the enemy along the wa ...more
Christi
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robin is a strong heroine both physically and mentally. She loves to fly and scavenges the city for parts to do so. Her flying skills find her serving in the Air Force of her country during war time.

I loved my introduction to this story and this author. The cliff hanger ending makes me thankful that I get to read the next book in the series right away!

If you like Beauty and the Beast and espionage stories, this might be your next favorite.
NellieTests
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Skylark's Song had many interesting aspects, to it, and as a whole, the book was very good, The plot was new and original, whilst retaining the features of a good book - the pace of the story and the storyline. Overall, I would highly recommend this to others who enjoy the dystopian/SF genres.

Looking forward to the second book in the series!

(written by 14yr old reviewer)

With thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for the ARC.
Madelon
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you pick up a book to read knowing that it will whisk you away to a world well worth exploring. THE SKYLARK'S SONG is just such a book. How did I know? I've read the novels and stories that make up The Accidental Turn series, by the same author.

J. M. Frey is a master of world building and populating that world with interesting and intriguing characters. Saskwya and Klonn are at war; gliders are fighting against aeroships with bloody consequences to both sides. In such fights there are
Marsi Darcy
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
It took me awhile to get into this book. It seemed like it was the second book in a series as the prejudices between the various races wasn't really explored. Someone was called a "cow" and it seemed to go over as if they'd been called another c word (that rhymes with runt). A little background on things like that would have helped as I felt confused a lot of the time.

But I'm glad I persevered. I ended up enjoying the book and will read the sequel. I think it picked up for me around 35%.

The cove
DTBooks
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow great book! I received this ARC through netgalley and I’m so so glad I did. I loved it. At one point in the book my heart literally raced (my Fitbit can prove it) and I was on edge. I felt so many different emotions right a long with Robin. Very well written. I loved the flow of the writing and the story. I can’t wait for book number 2! I need it out now!
Amanda
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk, ya
I first heard about The Skylark's Song way back in 2011, when I picked up a free sample exclusive of part of the story during the Fan Expo weekend:

As a disclaimer, I was also lucky enough to have been at the convention where it was first conceived of, back in my steampunk heyday, and to have known a number of the creative and wonderful people who inspired it. To see so many members of that lovely community named in the Acknowledgements filled me with nostalgia and joy. However, as is usual in m
Shawn Bird
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lots of stuff in this one. Steampunk vibe YA. Characters that are interesting, including a strong female protagonist. Plot had a few unexpected turns. I never like a cliffhanger ending, so one star off for that.

I receive a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Max Hansford
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25/5 stars I really enjoyed this. It has everything I love. A strong female protagonist, a hate to love romance, and an interesting world. There were a couple of issues I had. I wished there was more world building, especially with the races. There are three main races in this series, and I wish I knew more about why they hate each other, especially the two within the same country. The main character's race is associated with bees, and I wish I could've learned more about it. The other thing I ...more
R.M.
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a quick read, fast-paced with a badass heroine. It was really compelling, but could have been fleshed out. Pieces I felt were important - like Robin’s growing glory as a war pilot - were glossed over and rushed. The development of the relationship between Robin and The Coyote could have been savored a bit more. Overall, though, I enjoyed it.
Brittni Kelly
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The ravages of war come in many shapes and sizes. Don't assume you know what's best for someone else. I love the characters and all the heartbreak in various forms to bring you deeper into the world. Plenty of action with a hint of a love story. Can't wait for the continuation! ...more

• The Midnight Bargain
  • Firefrost (Flameskin Chronicles)
  • Call Down the Hawk (Dreamer Trilogy, #1)
  • Night Break (Young Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • Tardy Bells and Witches' Spells (Womby's School for Wayward Witches #1)
  • White Trash Warlock (Adam Binder #1)
  • Mary: The Adventures of Mary Shelley's Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Granddaughter
  • Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls: 100 Immigrant Women Who Changed the World
  • Boyfriend Material
  • The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep
  • The Prison Healer (The Prison Healer, #1)
  • How to Break an Evil Curse (Chronicles of Fritillary, #1)
  • City of the Plague God
  • Ritu Weds Chandni
  • Mistletoe and Mr. Right (Moose Springs, Alaska #2)
  • Black Sun (Between Earth and Sky, #1)
  • Are You Listening?
  • As Old as Time
Frey is an author and professional smartypants, spent three years as the entertainment contributor on AMI Radio's Live From Studio 5 morning show, and was an occasional talking head in documentaries and on the SPACE Channel's premier chat show InnerSPACE. She holds a BA in Dramatic Literature and an MA in Communications Culture, and has lectured at the Pop Culture Association of America's Annual C ...more

The Skylark Saga (2 books)
  • The Skylark's Sacrifice (The Skylark Saga, #2)