Start by marking “A Bad Bit Nice (Second Chance Neighbors, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Bad Bit Nice (Second Chance Neighbors, #1)

A Bad Bit Nice

(Second Chance Neighbors #1)

Em Davidson is a curvy, never-married, 43-year-old Internet security analyst who has been working at the wrong job, living in the wrong house, and involved with the wrong man for about 10 years too long. All she wants is a challenging career, her very own home, and an age-appropriate Mister Ideal who will make her toes curl when he kisses her.

Mick Brennan is a bearded, t
Published September 22nd 2015 by Hot Words and Cold Coffee, LLC

To ask other readers questions about A Bad Bit Nice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bad Bit Nice

Start your review of A Bad Bit Nice (Second Chance Neighbors, #1)
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I think I requested this book because I got all excited seeing it was going to have characters that weren't young enough to make me annoyed.
Over forty year old characters that were still hot and wanting the sexuals!

Em actually wasn't brainless. She was smart, curvy and cursed like a sailor. Then you add in Mick, a big old man with tattoos and attitude. He also had a beard but I'll forgive him that.
They both are like-able..then you throw in their best friends
Wendy'sThoughts
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Over 40 Romance
4 Grown Up Lives & Loves Stars
* * * *

I am going to say something shocking...not everyone reading romance is in that 20 to 30 year old range...Yes, I know... it is staggering how many readers may actually be interested in a romance about those who are not out of college, just starting to embark on their careers.... or those who maybe are closer to 30 then they would like and still haven't found their guy....

Yes, those stories are worth reading and we all do... but every once in a while... it is refreshin
DJ Sakata
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Favorite Quotes:

“Em, if I had a rack like yours, I would be topless as much as possible.”

“I know it’s only been a week or so, but goddammit, you’re super smart, crazy caring, and hot like fire and I think I could love you, so you need to kiss me or tell me to utterly and completely fuck off. Either way, put me out of my misery.”

“Mick, honey, what you did to me earlier? If you’d been more expert at it, I seriously think I would have lost consciousness.”
She Writes She Reads aka Thinking M & some other things...
Poignant romance featuring grown adults (not another New Adult romance!)

Poignant romance featuring grown adults (not another New Adult romance!)

Poignant, well crafted story with multiple plot lines. Author Josie Kerr did a very nice job with her 1st novel and lovingly created the world of Em and Mick, both in their forties, who fall in love after heartache, disappointment and grief.

Very satisfying. Ms. Kerr reminded me how satisfying and sexy a romance can be with mature
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
ARC provided by Netgalley

I couldn't take to the writing style in this book. I don't like when there are numerous POV's in one chapter and that is how this author writes.

I also didn't like that Em calls Mick 'sugar'. I've read that term of endearment too many times in romance novels but it is always said by the hero so I associate it with the male saying it, not the female and when she kept calling him it during the sex scenes, I just found it off putting. Mick calls Em 'd
Robyn
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Lots of fun. Nice to have a female protagonist with a non-fluffy job. Best portrayal of consent I've read yet.
Shymsal
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
There were a number of things I enjoyed about this book and a few I didn't.

Mick was a sweetie and, whenever she didn't mention his beard, he was fabulous. I don't go for beards. Anytime it came up in a passage Duck Dynasty would flash through my mind and that cooled things down quite a lot. Beard women rejoice, though!

Mick and Em had a slow boil going on that went to ridiculous lengths. Slow boil romances are the best, but the start of this one felt oddly drawn-out. After they'd met
Freya**Secret sin** Romance
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I got an Arc from Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

I started reading that with doubts. I normally don't like mature characters in my story. I ended up wanting to meet a guy with tattoos, beard, long hair and generous heart.

I loved Me, I adored Mick, I looooooved Ashley and Rory, they were so funny.
I want MORE MORE MORE of of JK.
Leyns
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Nice.

I liked this book. I was a little concerned with the hero who’d been grieving his deceased wife for about 20yrs and had a massive tattoo of her on his chest, but somehow it worked for me. The couple were good for each other. There were a few “that kind of coincidence only happens in romance novels” moments, but overall it was a good read.
Marbea Logan
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was truly a second chance story in many aspects. Not only did the main characters Em and Mick play the perfect roles of broken but not lost hearts, the second and third characters like family and friends made the storyline complete. The cohesive elements of storytelling from the characters past and present made for great drama, and conclusion. This story fit perfectly in every way. I truly enjoyed every page. Now I understand what the title of this book means lol!
Shelly
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm not a big fan of the all over body tattoos that have become so popular and trendy; really, a little goes a long with for me. But I’ll tell you this dear readers, if I'd judged this story by that standard then I would have missed out on a very good story. But I’ll tell you what really drew me to this story is the age of the hero and the heroine. It’s so unlikely to run across a romance where both characters aren’t in their 20s or 30s and I’m not talking about when the hero is older while the ...more
Linda
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Josie Kerr is a new author to me. I started reading this book and I couldn't keep up with the storyline. after a few minutes it started to make sense to and buy the end of the book I was hooked. I loved this story and how it ends. Glad I didn't give up.
Joann
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow

Now this is a love story! All the angst, love, and devotion was enough to blow me away. I couldn't imagine such, never witnessed it in my lifetime but I know it exists. Don't miss this.
Larri
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the characters in this book. Mick, Em, Rory, Ashley, and the secondary cast were good, solid characters. Mick's backstory was heartbreaking, and I shed a few tears for him. The basic plot was really good, and I cared about these characters. My biggest issue was the story got bogged down in too many details, scenes that didn't move the story along, and several unrealistic scenarios. I think this book would benefit from a little editing and tightening up.
Cathy
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book goes to show you that you do have a life after forty and sometimes good things come to those who wait, or should I say sometimes there are second chances to a happy ending. It all depends on how you handle situations and taking that first step forward in life. Josie Kerr did a great job of introducing us to these brilliant characters who do just that, take that leap of faith.

We meet Em who is not doing too good at work and her relationship, not because of her mind you but b
Negar Arvanaghi
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting name.

Way to make a first impression. Bahaha!

Seriously??? She has to dress up to go to work in the middle of the night?

This idiot would be a terrible father.

She's very naive for her age.

What happened to her to send her to the hospital?

He's been a widower for twenty years and still wears his ring? Aw, that's sweet.

Wow, her parents really were old.

This could be a great center with these two running it.

Glad I'm not the only messy eater around.

Oh, Ashley! Don't worry,
Cathy Geha
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Em and Mick – what a couple! Both are nurturers that need nurturing and might just find their perfect companion in one another.

I liked the fact that they were both mature adults with similar needs and yet neither is ready, willing or able to leap into an instant relationship. The slow build was great. Both characters are there for one another as friends before they become more. Both have flaws or issues that make them more human. The communication between Em and Mick was fun to listen in on. Em
Despina
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley for an honest review.

First I would like to say I was a bit confused when started the book because I misread the synopsis, I thought that Mick the H was 20years older than Em the h. But in fact he was a widower for 20 years, so he was only a few years older than Em, either way it doesn't matter to me, but I felt I had to clarify that point. This book was good but slow, slow in a good way, I really liked the fact that Em and Mick took their
Ukgardenfiend
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a romance for the more mature reader. – not a 17 year old or a rising 30 but a rising 40 and then some heroine.
The heroine is ‘geeky’ – so is her boyfriend – and she wears glasses – and she is both curvy and still very lusty. According to some of her acquaintances she has a very foul mouth too...
In other words a woman with faults – someone human and even normal.
She has had a long term relationship – no kids – with h r boss at work – one that he totally exploits, ad also
Faith89
Feb 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
received this book courtesy of Netgalley - part of the Book Enthusiast Promotions for the 30 Day Reading Indie challenge
The first thing that drew me to this book was that the characters were older. They were both in their 40s. They had experienced life and new but both had come to a crossroads. Mick has been a widower for over 20 years. He was just at the point of taking off his wedding band. Em had been dating a man for the past 10 years. That relationship was dead in the water. It was go
Zeia Jameson
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This story is remarkably unique. It follows Em and Mick - two 40-somethings who've convinced themselves they're single for life.

But Fate, however, being the nosy meddler that she is, has different plans for these two.

It starts with a house. Happenstance roommates, woven into friends and then much more.

Both Em and Mick are cautious and skeptical about having feelings for one another. They've both lived lives that have taught them a thing or two about deceit and
Medavis66
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! A forty-something that falls in love realistically with another forty-something, be still my beating heart! The people in this book were not all fake, plastic, and sparkles...what a refreshing and fantastic story! I loved Em, hated Tripp, and loved Rory, Ashley, and especially Mick. The descriptions, locations, and meanings of the tattoos were wonderfully real. The attraction between Em and Mick didn't immediately jump into bed, which was also a nice change. I enjoyed the sayi ...more
Victoria O'Neal
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. I'm not a typical romance reader, but I enjoy chick lit from time to time and this wasn't too far away from that. I liked the characters and the plot in general.

A couple of quibbles:
My purchased copy from Amazon had editing marks left in. That was distracting.

The characters in the story say each other's names waaaay too much in conversation, like directly to each other. "Mick, I.." "Well, you know, Em..." "But Mick!" I eventually was kind of gr
Gigi
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this Book in return for an honest review. Let me tell you, this book will have you hooked from start to finish. I love the main characters Mickey and Em. I was in so many emotions because of them, and love them all. From laughing, teary, angry, happy, and many more. This is about two 40 something year olds, that find each other and because of their past mainly one of them. It's rocky for them in the beginning. Rory and Ashley so love those two as well. I loved all of the characters ex ...more
Maria
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars. I enjoyed this book. I loved that the characters are in their early 40s and had life experiences both good and bad. I adored sweet Mick and enjoyed sassy Em. The beginning dragged a bit for me but once the details of lives unfolded I didn't want to put it down. Loved the secondary characters too. Even though it's a standalone I Can't wait for next book and hopefully get more of Mick and Em.
I received an ARC for my honest review.
Shari
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a good book. I was up late just so I could finish this book because I had to know how it ended for them. Both have pain in their past that the other helps heal. They get their happy ending. I loved their connection. I also loved the secondary characters. Hopefully, they will get their stories as well?! I really loved how their story ended. This was good.
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher for an honest review.
Heike
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-netgalley, 2016
**I received a copy of this book from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review**

A bad bit nice, a second chance neighbors book series, book 1, written by Josie Kerr.

This book was fun, sexy and the best part, the characters were “older” not in the teens anymore, liked that a lot.

I recommend this book to everybody.

Sheryl Mcnaught
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good

Really enjoyed this book.A good storyline and great characters. Em gets a new job after a break up with her longtime boyfriend and boss who is a rat bastard.She meets downstairs neighbour Mick and sparks fly
Bethany
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Impressive debut novel. The characters are real and likeable. I like that they had real jobs that engaged them. Did I mention that this book is really hot? It is really hot. I can't wait to read more from Ms. Kerr.
Jeanne
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good show

Pretty much a love story with a few kinks but what I liked best was that the lovers were not young, not teenagers but rather, middle age, unusual . A story about real people, well maybe too beautiful to be real.
Brain to Books Cy...: Contemporary Romance for Grown-Ups 4 28 Apr 10, 2016 07:42PM
Making Connections: 4068. A BAD BIT NICE by Josie Kerr 8 26 Nov 11, 2015 11:45AM

• Pink Bits (Awkward Book 1)
  • Silver Brewer (The Silver Foxes of Blue Ridge)
  • Before Girl
  • Midlife Crisis: another romance for the over 40.
  • After Care: a romance for the over 40
  • The Price Of Scandal (Bluewater Billionaires)
  • The Mogul and the Muscle (Bluewater Billionaires)
  • Embrace the Wild
  • Dirty Little Secret (Damaged #1)
  • Feel My Love (Damaged #2)
  • Perfect Strangers
  • Caught in the Lies
  • Caught in the Flames
  • One Hot Night
  • Hannah's Hero (Icehome, #6)
  • Broken Halo (The Montgomerys, #2)
  • The Bombshell Effect (Washington Wolves, #1)
  • The Marriage Effect (Washington Wolves, #3)
Josie Kerr is a transplanted West Texan living on the edge of semi-profoundly rural Georgia, a.k.a. the southernmost edge of the northernmost county in Metro Atlanta.

She has an M.Ed. in Secondary English Education, but discovered that she hated high school more the second time than she did the first, so she decided to meld her love of technology with her education background and became

Second Chance Neighbors (3 books)
  • The Best Ever
  • Fighter (DS Fight Club #0)