Start by marking “Failed It!: How to turn mistakes into ideas and other advice for successfully screwing up” as Want to Read:

A fun and fabulous take on the art of making mistakes. Erik Kessels celebrates imperfection and failure and shows why they are an essential part of the creative process.

Failed it! celebrates the power of mistakes and shows how they can enrich the creative process. This is part photobook and part guide to loosening up and making mistakes to take the fear out of failure and encourage/>Failed
Published May 16th 2016 by Phaidon Press (first published April 4th 2016)

Start your review of Failed It!: How to turn mistakes into ideas and other advice for successfully screwing up
Alexa
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
What an interesting book. I found myself laughing at some of the photos included. There are many fails and amateur photographs that are relatable but also inspiring, which is the entire point of the book.

Failed It! is a good motivator and will keep the creative flows going.
Arnied
Dec 11, 2016 rated it liked it
A quick read on happy accidents in art and photography. For me there weren't enough great examples or enough insights. The books big message is that mistakes and failures often lead to genius. I believe that. So for everyone I know out there reading this...I promise to make more of them.
Sarah Ellis
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a quick read with some interesting insights on creativity and imperfection. It made me laugh, but also made me think differently about the creative process. I only wish it was a little longer and more in depth. I feel like it just skimmed the surface and would have liked the author to have gone a little deeper into the subject matter.
Sacha
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this book, Kessels describes a wonderful, inspiring and mind-changing perspective on failures and the importance of making mistakes in order to achieve success. No success without failure, as if failure leads to success. Or is failure our success?
Alexandria Bianca
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up thinking it was a motivational book. It was but on the contrary it happened to be a book on photography. But hey, it has some great insights that could be applied to not just art but life. It was fun, witty & brilliant. He spoke about living outside the norm and accepting you're failures & turning them around. He put me at ease in my thinking about perfection. The biggest thing I took from it is that there isn't a thing such as "perfection." Perfection was merely a ...more
Rick Marcello
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Dare to be disliked", is my favorite quote from this book. If you like to win popularity contests, chase perfection, or uphold the status quo, then this book ain't for you. Failed it main concept is to embrace mistakes and "failures", especially within the context of art. The book balances thought with visuals of mistakes and screw-ups. It is a great book because it challenges the reader to think differently about perceived mistakes and embrace the abnormal to foster creativity.
Hanna
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A funny, inspiring and quick read that will instantly help you to feel better about your artistic work. Because who hasn't felt like a failure before? Kessels shows that great artwork wouldn't be possible without making mistakes and that perfection will mostly lead to boring art.
Jabali Sawicki
Great quick read on creativity and failure. Full of wisdom and thoughtful photography. Will definitely go back to it like those Austin Kleon books...
Jeff
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it
This is less a review than it is a "spoiler" in that I'm going to share my favorite parts without really critiquing the structure of quality of the writing. But I do recommend having in on your shelf if you're a designer or any other human being who is required to come up with ideas as part of your occupation or because it's part of your native substance.

For newcomers to creative works or for the anally retentive perfectionist, yes, the cover is put on backwards on purpose.

Anyway, I
Fouad Kazan
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a ridiculously funny and inspiring small book. Even the front and back cover are switched with one another. Hence, if you have screwed up so much in your life, you will find this work comforting (unless you are narcissistic, have an over-inflated ego, and assume that every damn thing you do is a work of God). It shows us how you can simultaneously screw up and succeed at the same time making it excellent for entrepreneurs, immerging artists, etc… It mentions stories of popular business m ...more
Mark
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
A quote from the book:

If you’re anything like me, you’re called an idiot at least once a day.

And that’s okay.

Because making mistakes, flirting with disaster and pure, outright failure is how you get better. Without it, you’re stuck in a zone of mediocrity and ‘meh’. Sure, you probably won’t be nervous, self-conscious and potentially mortified, but you won’t be admired, either.

You’ll be …

Boring.

If you want to be creative, do original work and surprise
Danielle Carter
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
I had a hard time reading a book about failure from a man who is evidently very successful (although his argument is that all of his failures have led him to creative success). I also couldn't help but wonder how/if a woman would ever talk about failure in this manner, since I think women are a lot less able to get away with failures/imperfection. His observations and statements are vague and not very profound or practically helpful; however, I did really like that artwork that he included to pu ...more
Robin M
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advice
Very inspiring. Especially since recently I noticed that I wanted more stimulation for my brain.
This book talks about this: Finding stimulation in your and other's failures.

I read it within about an hour and started turning something shitty into something interesting right afterwards.

This book is a great example of curation turning into creation. And in the progress it doesn't only encourage, but, inevitably causes curation and creation.

A must have for pretty
Bula
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At a first reading this book may seem a collection of curious examples in which one or a series of errors have brought innovation or some kind of success, but digging deeper leads you to discover some interesting concepts on how to deal with the fear of failure and insecurity in your abilities.

A word of advice: don't underestimate it because of its simplicity of reading or for certain passages that may sound banal. It is true, it would have been nice to go deeper about some points, but in m
Thordur
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Well this is rather strange book to read and it is actually supposed to be a strange book. It tells you that failure is ok, the beginning of something good or a possible new opportunity raising from the failure. Then you have a lots of photos which are either mistakenly taken or show you things that are surely down mistakenly done. It takes 20 minutes to read this book, you simply run through it in no time. But that is no it. This book is made by an artist creating a different kind of a book the ...more
Kristin
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the variety in the photography and the brevity of the accompanying explanations. In general, the messages seemed to be about embracing imperfection, avoiding the common and finding opportunities for creativity. I see the connection to failure, but failures didn't stand out as the central theme, for me.
Anca Mihai
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Easily read, finished it in two hours. It’s more like a brochure, for me it felt like a ‘break’ from the more difficult books that I’m currently reading. I couldn’t say that it helped me but it opened my eyes a bit, when it comes to failure. I’m still a perfectionist though (and still hating it 🤦♀) ...more
Prudence (Marina Puente)
A quick light read, recommended to me by a creative. The book helps to unlock creativity and stop perfection seeking. I found Kessels’ take on confidence really interesting: confidence is overrated - when it comes to creativity, insecurity is essential.

However I was slightly underwhelmed at the examples given, I thought they would be more insightful and less product-focused.
Tim Belonax
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
A quick, entertaining read full of cherry-picked examples that range from clever to epic. If you’re a perfectionist or someone stuck in a rut, this might be helpful. If you travel in this world a bit, you won’t be surprised by what you read, but you may be comforted knowing that you’re not the only one paying attention to the world in the same way as Mr. Kessels.
Jason Machinski
This book is going on my recommended reading for my Visual Perception & Design course. The book really makes one think differently about creativity. Which is great for all those looking to be more creative. No spoilers here read the book to get the most out of it.
Rebecca Duncan
A quick read with an overall message that’s dragged out a bit - look out for happy accidents, they are often the most memorable. The photo examples in here were great, but I would have loved to see more examples from other design disciplines considering Kessel’s background
Shufi H
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Finished it only in less than 1 hour during train commuting, what a fun book! It told us how imperfection or failure can be turned into ideas, inspirations and other unique form of creativity - somehow it reminds me of lomography or analog photography.
Maria
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant little book providing a boost of inspiration for everybody in the creative industry. I think however, it can make a great read for non-creatives as well. At core, it’s about embracing our failures and stopping to seek the unachievable perfection.
Rorysan
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! Failed is Q, quick and quirky focusing on the magic in mistakes!
I loved the idea of failures being so positive.
Great read for insecure people and artists (everyone).
“Insecurity is essential for creativity”
Sam
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
150 page mantra about how failure is inept and a healthy route to success. The author looks at certain artist “mistakes” that turned into bright ideas. This book proves that their is beauty in imperfection
Cory
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved the creativity focus here, really interesting ways to Purposely take something good and change it into what others consider a "failure" to find something new. Great way to change how you look at things.
Joshua Tanuwidjaya
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
You will find inspirations on what people failed to do actually contribute to someone success. This book has a lot of graphics and it sure is funny.
Matt Blair
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this one. Great advice, delivered with humour, celebrating a wide range of your favourite new artists.
Anna Azarenko
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good. Clever, with many samples of good, based on failure, art.
Mental Jacket
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
In fact, you just might discover the imperfect perfection of the planned unplanned and the expected unexpected.
« previous 1 3 next »

• It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be
  • Feck Perfuction: Dangerous Ideas on the Business of Life (Business Books, Graphic Design Books, Books on Success)
  • Damn Good Advice (For People with Talent!): How To Unleash Your Creative Potential by America's Master Communicator, George Lois
  • Whatever You Think, Think the Opposite
  • The Lessons of Saint Francis: How to Bring Simplicity and Spirituality into Your Daily Life
  • Hoe bereidt je een paard? & andere onuitroeibare taalfouten
  • The Figure in the Shadows (Lewis Barnavelt, #2)
  • Å gå. Ett skritt av gangen
  • صناعة الفرح
  • الزائر الغريب
  • بين الثانيتين
  • No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference
  • Harvard Business Review Emotional Intelligence Collection (4 Books) (HBR Emotional Intelligence Series)
Erik Kessels (1966) is a Dutch artist, designer and curator with a particular interest in photography, and creative director of KesselsKramer, an advertising agency in Amsterdam. Kessels and Johan Kramer established the "legendary and unorthodox" KesselsKramer in 1996, and KesselsKramer Publishing, their Amsterdam-based publishing house, both of which they continue to run.

He is "best k
“Because making mistakes, flirting with disaster and pure outright failure is how you get better. Without it, you’re stuck in a zone of mediocrity and “meh”. Sure, you probably won’t be nervous self-conscious and potentially mortifies, but you won’t be admired, either. You'll be boring.” 0 likes
“Failure isn’t fatal — quite the contrary. It’s downright fabulous.” 0 likes