Start by marking “The Antlered Ship” as Want to Read:
The Antlered Ship

The Antlered Ship

An inquisitive fox sets off on a seafaring voyage with a crew of deer and pigeons in this enchanting tale of friendship and adventure.

Marco the fox has a lot of questions, like: how deep does the sun go when it sinks into the sea? And why do birds have such lizardy feet? But none of the other foxes share his curiosity. So when a magnificent ship adorned with antlers and w
32 pages
Published September 12th 2017 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about The Antlered Ship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Antlered Ship

Start your review of The Antlered Ship
Carmen
The day the antlered ship arrived, Marco wondered about the wide world.

When I first picked up this book, I thought I had already read it. But no, I was confusing it for another book about animals that explore on a ship: The Friend Ship. You wouldn't think animals-exploring-on-a-ship would be a theme, but apparently it is quite common.

In this book, our hero, Marco the fox, is very curious about the world. He is full of questions about it, but the other foxes are only concerned about stuff like fo
Betsy
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Take any number of picture books published in a given year. Read them all, cover to cover. Digest them. Ponder them. Then, I have no doubt, you’ll want to sort them. You’ll want to categorize them in some way. Maybe it’ll be the same rote categorizations we see all the time. Maybe you’ll get a little goofy. You may, for example, begin to notice how many books involve bespectacled mice breaking down the fourth wall, or a plethora of sentient cheese. But if you take a step back and broaden the fie ...more
Calista
A fox is looking for meaning in life and more than just food. He decides to go on a journey and he gets on the Antlered ship when they ask for a crew. It’s hard going at times, but friendships form and questions are asked and meals are shared. They see some amazing things.

This was a great book about how community and friendship happens and the need to see new things in life. I loved the look of the ship and it’s what got me wanting to read this. The artwork is fantastic and the story is a great
Lata
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Marco the fox has many questions, but his fellow foxes aren't interested in the questions. Marco meets Sylvia the deer, a captain of a ship, and decides to join her on an ocean voyage. The voyage is tougher than they expected due to weather and pirates, but they eventually land on an island. Marco doesn't find the answers he's expecting, but finds something better, and the two continue voyaging.
The illustrations are utterly beautiful. The story is quiet, thoughtful, and concerns curiosity and fr
Rian *fire and books*
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love love love the illustrations and that this is a real *smart* kids book. It has adorable characters, was honest about what a fox would do on a ship with a bunch of herbivores (hint, he didn't eat them), and even posed a lot of questions to the reader!

My only issue is the texture of the dust jacket. Oh I can't stand that gritty feeling one iota.
Jacki
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Strong art, text is middle of the road.
Ancita☆
Nov 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I have said it so many times and reiterating it here too. Picture books hold so much wisdom that my mighty heart and bulbous brain seem too small to have enough of!

Fortunately, I read the copy of this book from my library online, so the illustrations really were like seamless pages of drawing and not forked in the middle as is the case with paper books. As they say, everything has its pros and cons!

Now back to the book itself. The story is of a young fox Marco who has so many questions to ask b
Eva
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am currently following a class on children's literature. For this class, we had to review a picture book written in the last three years. I went to a bookshop with an extensive collection of children's literature and wandered around for about an hour - touching the covers, revisiting books from my own childyouth, looking at the illustrations. The Antlered Ship by Dashka Slater immediately stood out to me. Its cover was so incredibly beautiful and its title grabbed my attention. I decided this ...more
Rachel
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Love the illustrations SO much. The story and text were just so-so.
Elizabeth☮
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quick-reads
The illustrations here are beautifully done. The story is quite poignant.

This is a ship of rogue animals in search of: adventure, beauty, answers. Marco, a fox, decides the answers to his questions are out in the world. He can't be confined to his island any longer, so he boards the ship.

What the animals learn are lessons in kindness, boldness and friendship.

There are questions Marco has that my daughter and I enjoyed finding the answers to while reading the book.
Melki
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidstuff
A menagerie sets sail for some high seas adventure in this beautifully illustrated tale.

All the artwork is lovely, but the painting of the pigeons playing checkers really made me laugh.

description
Shiloah
Gentle story. Meaningful, thoughtful Fox. Exquisite illustrations. All around lovely book.
Abigail
Marco was a fox with questions. Why didn't trees talk, he wondered. Why did some songs make you happy, when others made you sad? Finding no answers amongst his chicken-stew-obsessed fellow foxes, he signed on with a crew of deer, and set sail in their antlered ship. After adventures ranging from an encounter with pirates to navigating the dangerous Maze of Sharp Rocks, they finally came to Sweet Tree Island, where Marco hoped to find the answers he'd been looking for. But had the truth been with ...more
Marjorie Ingall
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-3-6, kids-4-8
Marco is a fox who lives on an island. He has all kinds of philosophical and intellectual questions about the world (why do some things make you happy and other things make you sad? why is water wet?), but the other foxes on the island do not share his questioning bent. He's lonely. So when a ship with giant antlers instead of a figurehead sails up to the island, he volunteers for the crew, hoping to find a different island with more ruminative foxes. On the journey, he befriends Sylvia, the shi ...more
Bonny
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Antlered Ship is a perfect combination of lovely story and beautiful illustrations. I'm not sure what a child would think of it as my children are grown, but it's the kind of book I want to recommend to everyone I know. Sometimes I think children's books are written for adults, but this is one that I think children and grownups will love. ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A fox joins a deer and pigeon crew aboard an antlered ship to seek out answers to his questions. He finds he grows to enjoy the voyage and the questions in this lovely picture book with some nice moments of tension and thoughtfulness.
Nostalgia Reader
Absolutely beautiful illustrations and a sweet story about adventuring and friendship to boot.
Sara
Oct 18, 2018 added it
This book was very good because it had a good storyline and a good variety of sentence structure. I would recommend this book if you enjoy picture books.
Elif
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fox and some other animals go on a voyage to find an island. They encounter a pirate but then make it to the island and all the voyagers become friends.
Aryana Parmar
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book!
Resh (The Book Satchel)
such a sweet book.about a fox who has many questions. friends—pigeons, deer, fox who go on adventures on a big ship. they feel discouraged, they feel they made the wrong choice, and at the end they find answers/meanings/whatever they were looking for.

What stunning illustrations too
Colona Public Library
When a fox needs answers to his questions he joins the antlered ship that is looking for a crew. Will he find the answers while he goes on an adventure?

This book is really nicely illustrated and I really really love the design of the antlered ship! (view spoiler) This book has some nice creativity and lots of work put into it visually. I wish it was a little longer and maybe had some more story. ~Ashle
Ms. B
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture, 2018
For me, this was a bittersweet story about making and finding your true friends. For others, it will be a story about asking questions or going on an adventure. A fox joins a crew of forest animals searching for an island with tall sweet grass and short sweet trees.
The illustrations are by the Fan brothers which means they are amazing! This is the kind of story I would love to read to a group of children to see what their interpretation of the story is.
Emily Duchon
i picked this up due to the gorgeous illustrations and ended up falling in love with the story.

marco the fox has questions about life and the world. unable to find anyone to answer them properly he boards an antlered ship with various other creatures to seek new lands and adventure. marco hopes, along the way, someone can answer his many questions.

pre school.

Katie Ruth
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks, fantasy
I adore this new book illustrated by the Fan Brothers! Everything I look for in a picturebook is wrapped up in this one--meaningful themes and and an open-ended narrative that will invite questioning and wondering from both child and adult readers. Fantastic!
Missouri Vaun
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The main character is a curious fox named Marco. And once I discovered that the captain of the ship was a deer named Silvia, well... I was compelled to read this book. Lovely illustrations and the author has a charming sense of humor.
Kate
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a children’s picture book about a fox with a million questions. He encounters a ship filled with animals and he goes on various adventures with the crew.
Yvonne O'connor
Sep 15, 2020 rated it liked it
This is one LONG book for the 5-7 year old crowd. One of the Literati selections this month. Beautiful illustrations, but just too long.
Luisa Knight
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
The book sounds more exciting than it really is. Marco, a fox, gets on a ship in search of someone that can answer all of his questions, only to discover that all he has to do is make friends ... so he can ask them questions?

Ages: 4 - 8

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean u
Linda Lipko
Mar 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations tell the tale of an inquisitive fox who has a lot of philosophical questions. When a lovely antlered ship docks, he and his friends enter the deck and have a magical journey.

The illustrations are better than the accompanying story.

• The Night Gardener
  • Because
  • One Dark Bird
  • If I Built a House
See top shelves…
Dashka Slater’s novel, The Wishing Box, was named one of the best books of the year by the Los Angeles Times, which called it “an impish novel, hopeful and full of humor.” She is the author of four acclaimed children's books: Baby Shoes; Firefighters in the Dark; The Sea Serpent and Me and Dangerously Ever After. She has two picture books forthcoming in 2017, as well as the much-anticipated Young ...more