Start by marking “Mind Over Money” as Want to Read:
Mind Over Money

Mind Over Money

The acclaimed author of Time Warped tackles the very latest research in the fields of neuroscience, psychology, and biology to provide a fresh, fascinating, and thought-provoking look at our relationship with money—perfect for fans of Dan Ariely and Freakonomics.

We know we need money and we often want more of it, but we don’t always think about the way it affects our minds
Published November 1st 2016 by Harper Perennial (first published June 7th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Mind Over Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mind Over Money

Start your review of Mind Over Money
Carolyn
I did enjoy this book, and it highlighted for me some neat "tricks" to stopping myself from spending money, but this was a REALLY research heavy book. I think most people are ok with being told a fact, and having it backed up by one or two reference. This read like a dissertation where some poor student was proving that the earth was flat. Ms. Hammond, we get it, you do not need to spend PAGES proving a relatively simple point that MOST people would get behind with one research paper supporting ...more
Stuart
Jun 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Akshay Jain
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
The author has tried to combine lot of great research into everything related to money. Not as much practical advice as I expected, but the sheer volume of condensed insights in this book makes it 4star worthy.
Jkhickel
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
The psychology of money is rapidly become an important area of research. While economists have tended to assume that we make rational decisions with our money, we're rapidly becoming aware that we really don't.

Mind Over Money is a compilation of the research on the psychology of money -- which is its greatest weakness, as well as its greatest strength. Almost every major research project on the subject is summarized in this book, often in only a few paragraphs, before jumping into the next proje
Machteld Bosmans
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I learned a lot about money and the impact it has on us.
Alexandra
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
The author makes this a fun book to read - contains most of the brain biases and salient studies on how your brain looks at money.

if you haven't read these kinds of books already choose this one.
Loza Boza
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book has snippets of information that are interesting and useful but it weaves a poor narrative and required effort to get through it. In particular, the final chapter felt like the author had given up and just threw a hastily gathered list together.

A few of the more interesting points:

- People create different "mental accounts" for spending money (e.g. holiday account e.t.c.). These can have a powerful influence over how we spend money. For sales this probably means that a product or servi
Durus1
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was definitely worth the read. I have an interest in behavioral economics but I am not a specialist, so I was familiar with a number of the topics discussed and the observations made by the author, but the author also covered some topics with which I was not familiar that I found very interesting. A good example of this was the discussion of poverty and its likely impact an individual's approach to making economic decisions.

I think I will always remember the author's suggestion not to
Annette Jordan
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, science, 2018
An excellent, informative, entertaining and thought provoking read, this really has made me reevaluate the way I think about money. Referencing numerous medical and psychological studies, the author looks at how we become attached to money , both as a concept and in its physical form, from a very young age, how we can let it motivate us, and surprisingly how it can demotivate us too. Though relatively short, the author packs in a lot of information, in an easily digestible user friendly form and ...more
Joy
I received this book thanks to a Goodreads giveaway.

At first I found the subject matter interesting, but at a certain point, I found it harder and harder to stay interested. Maybe I just had an overload of information.
YHC
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
There are many psychological experiments that we could already know about "Delayed gratification", this seems to be a big component of being able to be successful in the future. According to some researches, they testes on kids and observed for few decades to see the kids' performance on study and career, those who have patience to wait in order to get bigger rewards seem to be more rational on money and richer in life.

目录 · · · · · ·
为一把鲁特琴而存钱 11
银行、商店、强盗和牙仙 15
Kathy
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Money is a mental construct of humans that is now essential to the structure and functioning of our society. Mind Over Money by Claudia Hammond is an easy read that addresses our complex relationship with money. She shows how money affects our emotions, attitudes, perception and behaviours. A key idea she frequently mentions in relation to money is loss aversion. Hammond wrote this book to help us achieve mind over money i.e. taking the control back in order to lead a good life and build a good ...more
Miriam
A very informative and also entertaining read. The author bases her Interpretation of our emotional relationship with money on an insane amount of scientific studies and adds aspects from her own personal experiences to explain and illustrate those studies.
Some chapters were not interesting for me, but the way the book is organized it is very easy to read those chapters only very broadly.
I like the way she sums up what the chapters are about at the beginning of each chapter. And the general tip
Peter
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
A very interesting look at the way we look at money especially in the first chapter. There were lots of studies to determine how we view different situations involving our attitudes towards money. Some of which were quite contrary to how I would have viewed the situation prior to reading the well researched attitudes. Most of the time I thought that my attitudes towards money agreed with the outcome various tests which were covered in different chapters of the book. I am sure being brought up du ...more
Rosa Gandarilla
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shirley
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
263 experiments mentioned in the book...skip to chapter 15 for key summary of the entire book. Or! Read it in reverse. Go to the last chapter and see what tip you find fascinating and go to the chapter to read about the experiment.

I like the clear format of the chapters and sections, but omg way too many experiments. The tone of the books makes it an easy read, but toward he end of the book I start to feel numb rather than feeling “mhmmm interesting!”

The book is still have great value, reminding
Kristiyan Bonev
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Zdravko Kirilov
Shelves: listened
One of those books that everyone should read.

Whenever I get to a scientific book, I am a bit anxious if it will be boring. Well, it wasn't the case this time. Claudia Hammond manages to give a lot of information and most of it definitely seems useful. It is neither too long or too short and in the final chapter has 32 points which are basically the whole book in a nutshell. It is cool that she is the narrator of her own book and does a good job out of it. It is always a great idea for the author
Piritta
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Truly an interesting book to read. A credible multi-disciplinary work was a joy to encounter in these days when some people just claim to know about stuff and then write a book on that basis. Also, I can't discount the value of Finland being mentioned at least twice!
We need these kind of Hammonds, these authors who are willing to compile research for us layman readers, make it accessible and thus help us keep up with the world. Hammond's writing is engaging and light, even though she's writing
Leticia Supple
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by a friend, on the basis that it would be good research for my next book. In part, that's true. But it is a fascinating and highly readable examination of money, not just in Western culture but worldwide.

Unlike many books, Mind Over Money is essentially a summary of psychological studies, each demonstrating a different facet of humans' relationships with something that is effectively imaginary.

I highly recommend this to you if you've ever been curious about your
Chloe
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is very informative and really dives deep into the topic. I read a few reviews that said it was too dense and that it was annoying that it cited so many studies. I did find that it took me a while to read because I had to take breaks because it is a lot of information at once. It is very scientific and evidence based. However I am very interested in the topic and was interested reading it. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because I think it was well written, I enjoyed it, and the author ...more
Jordan
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read. Hammond teaches the reader a lot about humans' relationship with money. I found myself connecting a lot with all of her anecdotes. As someone who conducts psychological research, I also very much appreciated how many studies Hammond details throughout the book -- almost 300! I enjoyed every moment of this book, found it immensely relevant to my life, and can see myself using some of the tips she outlines in the future.
Daniel Weigert
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
The book surely comprises quite a lot of interesting information and thought-provoking research results, basically with regard to human psychology in contexts of money.

However, its writing style is clearly too long and every (in itself interesting) information is spreaded out over way too many lines and pages, which makes it appear boring and trivial at times.

After all, an interesting book - unless you depend on a "to-the-point"-writing style to enjoy it.
Marty
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really don't get the low rating on this book. Tons of fascinating research from all over the world, well-compressed and explained. Personal finance is mostly behavior and this book is loaded with example after example of how people behave with it. To quote Ian Cron: "What you don't know about yourself can hurt you." This is a little knowledge. Better than the average rating, be open minded. It's not a budgeting book. It's not going to make you rich. It will inform you.
Allie Ford
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engaging exploration of the various behavioural psychology research behind how we perceive and interact with money. Many of the experiments are well known, so having read a few books like this there wasn't too much that was new. The book was well structured, easy to follow and clearly explained. It would make a good introduction into this topic.
Tim
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the most part, I found Mind Over Money very fascinating and a worthwhile read. Occasionally, the author goes too far off the subject and draws conclusions that take away from the overall reading experience. But it was definitely a good read.
Stoxy001
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was a gift, but is not necessarily one that I would have chosen myself. Large parts of the book were made up from psychology test after psychology test and at times this made it dull. But all in all it was mostly interesting with some helpful ways of thinking in relation to money.
Kasey Tritch
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A powerful motivator for me to finally stop saying the words "I don't care about money." Because as money relates so relevantly to time I absolutely care about money a lot because I care about time more than anything.
Maria
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Initially it felt a little repetitive of things already said by better authors but it gets better. This is essentially a summary of all the psychological studies done with respect to money. It's interesting but not a guide on what to do with your own money.
Jessica Johnson
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
I found this book so fascinating! I'm conducting my own experiments to test some things out. I'm also making Jared listen to it because I want to discuss this book with someone! 😀 I know I'm a weirdo but I thoroughly enjoy psychology books and learning why we do things.
Wilde Sky
Feb 14, 2017 rated it liked it
The relationship (good and bad) people have with money is discussed in this book.

I found a few sections of this book interesting but overall it was a bit long winded for me.

• 三十六计(简体中文版): 中华传世珍藏古典文库
  • Revolutionary Summer: The Birth of American Independence
  • Paranormality: Why We See What Isn't There
  • Perfect Little Children
  • Shakespeare for Squirrels
  • Property Development: Discover the secrets to becoming a property developer, from scratch, using none of your own money
  • Death Dealer: The Memoirs of the SS Kommandant at Auschwitz
  • In Praise of Walking: A New Scientific Exploration
  • Power of the Spoken Word
  • Your Word is Your Wand: A Sequel to the Game of Life and How to Play It
  • The Magic Path of Intuition
Claudia is an award-winning broadcaster, writer and psychology lecturer. She is the presenter of All in the Mind & Mind Changers on BBC Radio 4 and Health Check on BBC World Service Radio and BBC World News TV. She is a columnist for BBC.com and regularly appears on Impact on BBC World News to discuss research in psychology. Claudia is on the part-time faculty at Boston University's London base wh ...more

News & Interviews