Start by marking “Inception (The Marked, #1)” as Want to Read:
Inception (The Marked, #1)

Inception

(The Marked #1)

Be careful who you trust, for even the Devil was once an Angel.

My name is Jemma Blackburn, and I have a secret. I know vampires are real. I watched one murder my father eight months ago, and even though they tried to convince me it didn’t happen—that I’d lost touch with reality due to the trauma, I know what I saw was real.

Hollow Hills is now the place I call home. It was
Paperback, 1 edition, 394 pages
Published September 30th 2015 by Bianca Scardoni

To ask other readers questions about Inception, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tyler Waters I KNOW RIGHT?! I kind of hate him now, he better get what he deserves. 😈
Ashley I think some of it may get a bit too steamy. Maybe you should read it first and see what you think.

Bianca
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I may be a tiny bit bias, but I definitely think this book deserves 5 stars :)
Millie
Mar 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
Incredibly stupid and willfully ignorant main character. Flowery amateur writing that was laughable at times--right before I DNFd it a character "rattled her head" at someone. Rattled her head! Lololololol. Did she. Did she really. The book was a lot of unedited trying-too-hard nonsense like that.

While none of the characters were likable, the main character was downright hate inducing. She has little to no connection to the brutal events of her past; it's like her father's death and her subsequ
Ashwood (애쉬 우드).
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Be careful who you trust for even the devil was once an angel.”

That quote fits the characters of this story perfectly. I have so many feelings for this book... not all of them good ones. The top two are astonishment and potent anger (towards Trace of course).

I loved Jemma, Gabriel, and Taylor but I was suspicious of Trace, Dominic and Tessa.. apparently with very good reason. Dominic I can handle because he was outright and upfront about being the bad guy in the picture, now Trace on the othe
KatReads
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
I hate not finishing books + giving them bad ratings because I feel like I judge them too quickly.

Being almost halfway through the book, I lost interest. Which is surprising because this sounded like a perfect combination of paranormal creatures, action and a love-triangle that would make Edward and Jacob jealous. Being an avid fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and True Blood - I was looking for a vampire/paranormal read that would blow me away.

Yet I kept waiting for the story to hook me in. It f
Debbie
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
The writing and feel of this one is exceptional, usually I'm all about the characters and there were some good ones, but mostly I enjoyed the flow and the feel of these lovely words.

If I'm being really honest Jemma kinda annoyed me, she was a little whiny and a little bit of a pushover but what she lacked in kicking ass she made up for in sarcasm and sass.

It also felt like all the male characters melded into one, basically the same person with a pinch of something to differentiate him from ano
Michelle Madow
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ahhh that ending! Totally caught me by surprise. Now onto Book 2.... <3
G.K. DeRosa
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
No! Trace you couldn't have!! *GASP* Ok I won't give away too many spoilers here, but this was a great read and I absolutely recommend it. There was just so much of everything - vampires, angels, demons, witches, slayers, oh and did I mention time travel? This story was action packed and kept me at the edge of my seat the entire time with so many twists and turns I totally did not see coming. And that cliffhanger ending... Geez! When's the next one coming out?!
Celeste
Yeah. No.

This book is filled with every last cringe worthy cliche you can imagine. Now sometimes cliches are alright, if handled properly, but in this case not so much. Add to that cheesy dialogue and all the flowery language, bad editing, tstl main character and I just can't.

Some of the writing didn't even make sense. How does one rattle their own head? What the actual fuck does ticking one's chin mean or bouncing a glance?Or pump their own jaw? I swear if Trace pumps his jaw one more time, so
Claire (bookscoffeeandrepeat)
I was listening to this audiobook and IT WAS SO BAD. The narrator reads it AWFULLY SLOW AND FORCEFUL to the point it may have sounded like this: "siiiiiiiiiiiiiilencce...."
The book contains flowery language.
“He owned the room, and was staring at me through the most striking blue eyes I had ever seen before—piercing cobalt eyes, like the clearest part of the deepest ocean.
An ocean I had the sudden urge to swim in.
While everyone else was busy taking notes, he sat in front of a closed notebook wi
Jammin Jenny
I liked this story about a young girl that finds out she has special blood lineage that makes her a slayer of really old vampires, the revenants. I was a bit disappointed with the ending - I don't really like cliff-hangers, but it does make me want to consider reading the next book in the series. I guess that's why they do that :).
Tannaz
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
کاش دومینیک آدم بده داستان نبود...به قول کرولاینsome girls like bad boys..
Brittany
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 stars!!

This was a re-read for me so that I can finish out the series... The first time I read this was years ago and I rated it a 5. Its amazing how I forgot absolutely everything about this book so it was sort of like reading it for the first time. After reading it again I have dropped my rating down a star but it was still pretty good. I have just read better books since then.

I enjoyed the story line and the pace of the book. It starts out kind of slow just because of the world building,
Taylor
Nov 07, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, 1-star
I had to stop reading at 40%. I could not go any further. If Nikki was not in this book, maybe I would have continued, but she was the absolute worst. No girl actually acts like that, at least none that I have ever met or heard of. She absolutely loathes and makes Jemma's life miserable just because she moved to the town and said hello to her boyfriend? She didn't even flirt. Just enrolled in school and was an instant target because her boyfriend might find her pretty. Nikki is the most insecure ...more
Andrea Heltsley
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
This book was a total surprise! WOW! I had no idea what to expect from this new author. I'm glad I gave it a chance. t was so good! The vampire and angel concept the author weaved was interesting. The characters were well written. The ending was epic. It was a cliffhanger and now I am dying for more. I can't wait for the next installment!!! Five glittery stars!
Isabel
Mar 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
I am doing a book bingo which is why I ended up with this book. I have had this in my kindle library since 2016, and I think I bought it because I like the cover.

You know a book is gonna be a wild ride when it starts with

The most dangerous enemy is not the one who lingers behind you in the shadows, but the one who walks beside you as a friend. They shape the world around you with well-constructed lies, entombing you in the gossamer of their deceit. You’ll never know their true face, for they
The BookWhisperer
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Inception took my on a little jaunt down memory lane. The similarities to the beloved Buffy the Vampire Slayer television series were very nostalgic. Jemma has just learned that life is not quite what she believed. The late death of her Father at the hands of something that is not supposed to exist will do that to a girl. After a short little stay in the "nut house" she is off to move in with her rich Uncle. This is her chance, and she knows were the boundary lines exist so she will never let an ...more
Nathalie*
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars ;)

I can't believe that douche bag! I hope he gets what coming to him and I hope I don't like him again cuz he doesn't deserve it! Lol

I really liked jemmas character, I really liked Taylor. The story is interesting and keeps u engaged
Sabrina
Ohmygod that ending!
Mathilda
Four stars for the twisted-plot!

I didn’t expect to be absorbed. I expected even less to be surprised.

Here’s the deal: I'm not an easy person to ‘dupe’ when it comes to plots- I’m being quite cocky here in saying this but I have a tendency to know from the start where the story is heading, and this sometimes bothers me because I’m not often surprised.

Also, I’m every so slightly blasé when it comes to Vampires, and I absolutely try to stay away from Angels, so it just beats me what happened here
Kendall Berg
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-paranormal
THE BETRAYAL MAN!

Heart

If this book was aiming for shock and awe with this ending - they succeeded.

That being said I had some mixed feelings for this book in general (hence the 4).

Cons:
I totally knew he was a vampire.
Jemma - her whole family are liars. A bunch of lying liars with lies.
Her "friends" - unimpressed.
Her forced relationship with Trace... I mean you know where it's going from page one with their attraction and yet they fight it unnecessarily and then it's haphazardly thrown together and r
Wendi Wilson
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really, REALLY want to punch someone in the face right now. That being said, this book is amazing. I was a little thrown off at first by the descriptive verbiage- it seemed a little grandiose to me at the beginning- but soon, the feel of it swept me away into this world of magical and mythical beings mixed with high school drama. The story is well developed and well-written with very few typos (not enough to even blink an eye at, which is rare in self published books). The characters are myste ...more
Aira  Cabrera
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars!

This was an enjoyable easy read. I kind of missed books like this. I was in love with paranormal romance books when I was in high school, and it makes me nostalgic to read books like this.

Jemma has just been released from a mental institution. Now, she’s been sent to her uncle’s house. She has to go to a new school, and she has to act normal. She was prepared to continue that farce until she discovers that her uncle is hiding something from her, and her new friends may not be as norma
Olivia
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
this sounds like a cross between Hush, Hush and Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Jemma Blackburn moves in with her Uncle Karl following the murder of her father and about a year of being in a mental institution. She claims that vampires killed her father, something she still believes but was able to get released from the hospital by claiming otherwise. She starts her life over at a new school, makes new friends and enemies, even has a couple of boys that she is interested in. Things seemed to be returning to "normal" until (view spoiler) ...more
Ana Beatriz Esteves
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reviews
The Bewitched Reader: Inception (The Marked #1) by Bianca Scardoni

Everyone has told Jemma Blackburn that she is crazy. She saw her father be killed by a vampire but no one believed her. They put her in a mental institution and brainwashed her not to believe what she saw, or so they thought. Jemma knows very well what she saw.
Now she must move in with her uncle in his giant home in Hollow Hill, the town her father tried to keep her away from. She has entered a new world and realises that there ar
Kaitlyn Davis
That cliffhanger ending gave me whiplash!! Lol! I thought my ship was smooth sailing and then...BAM! Very curious to see how the male leads redeem themselves in the sequels, I sense a love triangle on the horizon :) Definitely recommend to fans of YA paranormal romance!
Julie
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. One of the best debut novels I've read all year - probably one of my favourite books this year.

Although I can understand why some people might be upset with Jemma, she grew up really sheltered. At least she shows promise towards the end. I can't wait to see how she grows throughout the series. (view spoiler)

I loved all the side characters, especially Taylor, Ben, and Nikki. Although some of them do follow some tropes (Ta
Michelle Johnson
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book reeled me in from the start. The dimensions of the writing made everything so damn addicting. I needed to know what was going to happen...like all the time. It's something beautiful and somewhat disturbing when a book can literally take over your thoughts to make you want more. It's almost like I developed this rocking twitch anytime I was away from the story.

It plagued my thoughts!
 photo 5e07a1f3bf16a56f016fcbff9a9b079e_zpse9nliofq.gif

Jemma was a character that I absolutely loved. Her pain, irritations, insecurities and attractions we
Felicia
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I got a major Twilight feel from it in the very beginning. But then as soon as Jemma found out about herself, the Twilight feel completely did a 180.

(view spoiler)
Joyce
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I am writing this review after reading all four books in the series. After reading this first book, I was invested in the series. I feel like it's a mix between Twilight and Fallen. I was in the mood for some paranormal and I'm not too disappointed. I was certainly entertained. It's definitely a young-adult series and there is a love triangle and there's a lot going on - between the characters and the paranormal world itself.

I am more than happy to read Indie authors but I am usually wary of th
  • Last Rites (Lucy Hart, Rites, #1)
  • Black Crow (Raven, #2)
  • Revolution (The Revelation, #4)
  • Dark Moon (Red Moon, #3)
  • Guardian (The Guardian #1)
  • Cats & Dogs (Alpha Trio, #1)
  • Vamplayers
  • Found (The Crescent Chronicles, #3)
  • Second Shift (Shifted, #2)
  • Forbidden (Tempted, #1)
  • Bitterroot: Part 3 (Bitterroot #3)
  • Fire Girl (A Tale of Witches and Wolves, #1)
  • Elemental Air (Paranormal Public, #6)
  • Ruined (Seraphim #1)
  • Reborn (The Guardian Trilogy, #3)
BIANCA SCARDONI is a paranormal fiction writer who resides on the East Coast of Canada with her family. When she's not writing, she spends her time reading, eating junk food, and staying up too late.

For upcoming book releases, bonus material, and additional information on the author, please visit her website: www.biancascardoni.com

The Marked (4 books)
  • Invidious (The Marked #2)
  • Iniquitous (The Marked, #3)
  • Infernal (The Marked, #4)
“The most dangerous enemy is not the one who lingers behind you in the shadows, but the one who walks beside you as a friend.” 22 likes
“Everything about the house was rich, and dense, and rooted. It was everything I wasn’t. Even the air, with its distinct smell of oak wood and sage, spoke to its identify and its history. I couldn’t help but feel small here. Overwhelmed. Incompatible.” 9 likes