Start by marking “Das Leben und das Schreiben” as Want to Read:
Das Leben und das Schreiben

Das Leben und das Schreiben

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  152,213 Ratings  ·  11,831 Reviews
King äußert sich über die Art und Weise der Entstehung einiger seiner Romane und die Gefühle, die ihn dazu bewegen, seine Bücher zu schreiben. In einem autobiographischen Kapitel geht er auch auf seine Alkohol- und Drogensucht ein.

Ein weiteres Thema des Buches sind Kings Kindheit und Studienzeit sowie die Umstände, unter denen er seine ersten Manuskripte verkaufen konnte.
Published August 1st 2000 by Ullstein (first published October 3rd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Das Leben und das Schreiben, please sign up.

AJ Elliott There are so many things to take away from this book, but the one that always comes to mind first is "If you don't have time to read, you don't have…moreThere are so many things to take away from this book, but the one that always comes to mind first is "If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time or the tools to write." (less)

Madeline
Nov 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Let's be honest: Stephen King is not one of the greatest writers of all time. He will never win a Pulitzer or a Nobel (he might win a Newberry though, if he ever decides to tap into the Kids/Young Adult market), and on the few times his books are featured in the New York Times Book Review, the reviewer will treat the book with a sort of haughty disdain, knowing their time could be better spent trashing Joyce Carol Oates.

None of this should suggest, however, that King is not qualified to write a
Jeffrey Keeten
”Writing isn’t about making money, getting famous, getting dates, getting laid, or making friends. In the end, it’s about enriching the lives of those who will read your work, and enriching your own life, as well. It’s about getting up, getting well, and getting over. Getting happy okay? Getting happy.”

I can’t tell you how many people I’ve talked to over my lifetime who wanted to write a book. Most didn’t know what they wanted to write about, but some of them wanted to write their autobiography
Fabian
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So it's become very clear to me now that very few writers actually write about the craft. The only Latin American writer to do so? Mario Vargas Llosa (who took several years off of his busy novel-writing to write about his now-ex-pal Gabriel Garcia Marquez). But I suddenly forgot who the King was (no, I mean literally: I've not read him in years! High school being the prime time for Stephen King, and all): the guy has useful insight, no shit, because he is not only prolific & uber-successful ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Dec 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any aspiring writer
Shelves: read07, favorites, writing
I read this shortly after finishing NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) this year, actually it would be more accurate to say I devoured it. This is full of great writing advice, and I'll need to get a copy and read it 1-2 times a year. Most helpful? The section on grammar! Seriously, I never really learned grammar.
"Gould said something else that was interesting on the day I turned in my first two pieces: write with the door closed, rewrite with the door open. Your stuff starts out being jus
Wil Wheaton
Jan 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-project
I know it's like saying "puppies are cute," but it bears repeating: everyone who wants to write, whether for a living or not, simply must read this book.

On Writing did more for me as a writer than anything, and any success I've found as a storyteller can be traced to my reading it.
Riku Sayuj
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is great and if you like writing, it is probably a must read.

I could write a summary of the book, it is easy enough to summarize and there are only a few important points that King presents, but then I dont want you to get it for free. :) Go and read the book yourself, it is worth it.

Rude? As King says, "...if you expect to succeed as a writer, rudeness should be the second-to-least of your concerns. The least of all should be polite society and what it expects. If you intend to write
Dan Schwent
Feb 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nf, 2016, 2016-books
Stephen King shares some stories of his past and some writing tips.

This was either my fourth or fifth time reading this. I got it for Christmas around the turn of the century and I've buzz-sawed through it a few times before. The first time, I was just cutting my writing teeth. Now, with seven or eight first drafts of novels writing around, I came to the book with a completely different perspective.

Most books about writing, as I've said before, are by people I've never heard of, and are akin to
Cecily
description

Like the curate’s egg, this is good in parts. I can see why writers, and budding writers find this book inspirational, and fans of his oeuvre will enjoy learning how certain stories came to be. But it’s several very different books and booklets, within a single set of covers - curious that a book about writing doesn't seem to know what sort of a book it is.

In one of the three forewords, King says “Most books about writing are filled with bullshit”. I found a fair bit here, too. But I also found
Lizzy
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's rare to find an author that adventures into writing about his craft, but Stephen King, with On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, is not one of them. Great book: good tips (best one: write something you would want to read!) on how to write along with a nice memoir. Recommended.
J. Kent Messum
There are countless books out there on writing, storytelling, screenwriting, style, etc. A lot of them are too formulaic and more than a bit bloody cliche. To be honest, the majority usually prove to be a waste of time. But there are a few that are great, and 'On Writing' is definitely one of them. Stephen King is a household name, no doubt, but of all Mr. King’s books, this is the one I praise the most. Part biography, part ‘How-to’ manual, this book is a must-read for anyone and everyone.

Ther
Hannah Greendale
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft offers an illuminating look at Stephen King's life, highlighting moments that shaped him as an author and revealing lessons he gained from decades of practice and publication.

King is unapologetically himself, blending whit and honesty with sophomoric humor and the occasional curse word. For example, when discussing the sin of using passive voice, King provides an example of how not to construct a sentence, followed by the type of commentary one can expect to fi
Diane
This book on writing was even better than I expected. I loved that Stephen King shared some memories from childhood and explained how he became a writer.

This book helped me knock off two goals in one: I've been trying to read the best Stephen King books (good grief, the man is prolific) and I'm trying to read more books about writing. King has good advice on ways to improve your writing, but he also has some knockout stories about his life and how they've influenced his novels.

The book ends wi
Lou
This is a must read for writers, readers and Stephen King fans.
Fully laden with inspiration to walk the walk and start that journey of writing a story of you're own from short story to a full novel. Imagine great writers of the past like Dickens around to give advice to aspiring writers it's a real opportunity to grasp.

This man, Stephen King, worked hard to make himself into a writer and had sheer determination, from working all hours to pay his college education to writing his first stories i
Jason Koivu
Jun 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, writing
On Writing is for me hands-down the best book I've read about the craft of writing and living the life of a writer by a writer.

This is not a textbook on grammar and sentence structure. No, the subtitle very succinctly describes the contents. This is about Stephen King's journey to become a published author and his experiences in wrestling with words.

To hear stories about how one of the world's most popular authors once upon a time struggled just like the rest of us mortals is refreshing. Those
Andrew Smith
This is very much a book of three parts. In the first section, King provides a series of anecdotes that seem somewhat fractured and random. They loosely cover his early years, the time before he became a successful writer. Some of the tales are a little spooky, to be honest. Others clearly portray what it was like for him, his wife and his children when he was spending long hours writing whilst also holding down a day job. He had a number of jobs, some pretty menial, but he eventually settled in ...more
فهد الفهد
On Writing

حصلت على هذا الكتاب وقرأته على الكندل، كأول تجربة لي مع هذا الجهاز الرائع والذي صنع بعناية للقراء، أكثر ما أعجبني في الكندل هو أنه يخبرك عن السطور التي أعجبت الكثير من الناس فقاموا بتظليلها، هكذا تتشارك القراءة مع كل من اشترى الكتاب وقرأه على الكندل مثلك.

كتب ستيفن كنج عشرات الروايات والقصص، يكتب بمعدل عالٍ، وتتحول قصصه إلى أفلام شهيرة حال صدورها، في هذا الكتاب يتحدث كنج عن تجربته، عن بداياته مع الكتابة والظروف الصعبة التي مر بها، وكيف كان يعمل في وظيفتين ليعيل زوجة وطفلين، ثم يعود لي
Becky
Feb 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stephen King Fans
I love Stephen King. I'm not IN love with him, but I love his writing, his stories, his characters, and now, his advice: "Read a lot." (4-6 hours a day, even!)

Yessir, Mr. King! Finally some advice I want to heed! OK, I should say that this is really only a small fraction of the wisdom he imparts in this book, and I neglectfully left out the "write a lot" part that immediately follows "read a lot".

But I have never actually aspired to be a writer, so the reading part is good enough for me. I adm
Elizabeth Sagan
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a good read for someone who is either interested in Stephen King’s life or wants to become a writer and needs either tips to do it better or some motivation to keep going. If you don’t find yourself in these categories, skip this book.

I’m the kind of person who would read this guy’s socks label if I could, so yeah, 5 stars.
Leah Williams
Jul 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give this book more than five stars. The first 100 or so pages were highly colored anecdotes from SK's childhood (did you know Stephen King had an obese, negligent babysitter who used to sit on his head and fart? me neither). I thought the whole book was going to be like this--a personal history intertwined with the occasional tip about persistence, and that was OK with me. That's how entertaining the first bit is. It certainly makes the book worth reading even for those uninteres ...more
Stepheny

What better day to post a review for this book than on Stephen King’s birthday?

Happy Birthday, ya crazy bastard. ;)

Anyway- as most of the GR community knows I am the real life Annie Wilkes a huge fan of Stephen King. He has been a major influence in my life since I was about 10 years old. His writing changed my life. His books changed my mind; my way of thinking.

Listen, not everyone knows this but I’m about to out myself. I am an aspiring writer. I don’t flash it, I don’t wave it out there for
Paul O'Neill
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The master shares his recommendations for all writers, they should pay attention

Overview – 4 stars

I found this book to be more interesting than I thought it would be. There's a lot of King’s personal thoughts about his experiences in the writing business, and what made him a writer in the first place. He covers his rough experience when he got smacked by an idiot in a van in between writing this.

(On) Writing

The majority of this book is dedicated to helping writers to work on their ‘toolbox’. He
Arah-Lynda
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top, to-the-island, i-said
I think that this was a very courageous book for Stephen King to write.

And I loved the casual, conversational tone as King shares with us, glimpse’s into his life both before and after his initial success. He doesn’t pull any punches either; we see the good, the bad and the ugly.

It is somehow, not at all, and exactly what I expected. In truth, I loved the memoir part best but even those parts that are instructional in the art of writing are very engaging.

Is it not incredible, that such a gif
Char
Although I have no intention of writing anything other than reviews, I found this book about writing to be interesting and chock full of good information.

The first portion was autobiographical in nature, and that was the part I enjoyed most. Hearing about King's menial jobs and how hard he worked, combined with the drug and alcohol abuse and other obstacles he's overcome, made him seem more real to me, somehow. More like a regular guy.

The parts on writing, even though I'm not an author, were h
Vitor Martins
"Escrever é mágico, é a água da vida. A água é de graça. Então beba.
Beba até ficar saciado."

Eu nunca tinha lido nada do Stephen King, . Comecei por Sobre a Escrita e sinto que conheci esse homem por toda a vida.

Mais do que um manual sobre a arte de escrever, esse livro traz muitos ensinamentos sobre a vida. É um livro curto, direto, didático, divertido e muito envolvente! Marquei minhas passagens favoritas porque Sobre a Escrita é o tipo de livro para pegar, reler, relembrar e aprender tudo de
Blake Crouch
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply the greatest book ever written about the craft of writing. I have read it more times than I can count, and each new encounter teaches me something new. I imagine even non-writers would thoroughly enjoy Mr. King's memoir.
Thomas
This is a fantastic book about writing - recommended to me by numerous friends and acquaintances, it did not disappoint. With most nonfiction I feel as if I do not really need to remember every detail or fact listed, but with On Writing I wish that I could. It offers an abundance of useful advice that would do any writer much good, regardless of age or experience.

At first I felt unsettled by the anecdotes - when I began the novel, I expected something like "writing = grammar + salesmanship" or s
Julie Christine
100 percent loved this. I may even knock it up to "It was amazing" as its treasure trove of advice sinks in.

Here's the thing: Stephen King knows how to tell a story. From the early to late 80s- junior high through mid-university years- I read nearly everything he'd written. His novels are the only of the horror-genre that I've read; it's never been my cup of tea, either in print or film, but King's writing has always been a cut above. He is the literary equivalent of Bruce Springsteen. I don't
Peter
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
On Writing inspires me to write. Every time I read it (three or four times), I get some other little tidbit out of it. It reminds me that I'm not alone in my office.

No, this is not the best book on how to write prose fiction available on the market. Truby and Mckee have better books on story; Garner has better books on writing prose. But Stephen King is the guy who lives next door. He's not the erudite and priggish former director of the Vic that McKee is, the intellectual craftsman of Truby, t
Наталия Янева
Обичам, когато някой ми разказва за работата си с удоволствие и можеш почти на допир да го усетиш. Аз съм от хората, които (си мислят, че) не харесват Стивън Кинг. Дори не знам дали има такъв вид хора, може да съм някакъв застрашен екземпляр. Единственото негово, което съм опитвала да прочета, е „Способен ученик“ и то ме накара да се чувствам физически зле. Мисля, че леко ми се гадеше през цялото време. Така ме е карало да се чувствам само „Престъпление и наказание“. Предполагам, че това означав ...more
Sonia
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: v-i-books
“La clave de escribir diálogos buenos, como en todos los aspectos de la narrativa, es la sinceridad.”

Uno cree que no existen manuales para aprender a escribir. Y de haberlos, por lo general son bastante inútiles. Pues bueno, cuando empecé a leer este libro tenía la firme convicción de que sería distinto, apenas he leído un libro de Stephen King antes de este y fue más que suficiente para tenerle un profundo respeto y mucha admiración (no para ser una experta en el tema, pero sí para tener un poc
Books on Writing 7 38 Aug 15, 2017 02:30PM
Recommend other Stephen King books? 10 14 Jul 30, 2017 11:36AM
How long does it take you to write a book? 91 4530 Jul 27, 2017 10:44PM
Club littéraire p...: Diner littéraire du 16 juillet 2017 autour de "Mémoires d'un métier" de Stephen King 4 4 Jul 15, 2017 02:35AM
Readers & Writers: Looking for advice 4 22 Jun 27, 2017 11:25AM
Need name of book please 2 28 May 03, 2017 01:16PM
  • Writing the Breakout Novel
  • Revision & Self-Editing: Techniques for Transforming Your First Draft Into a Finished Novel
  • The 3 A.M. Epiphany: Uncommon Writing Exercises That Transform Your Fiction
  • Beginnings, Middles & Ends (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Scene and Structure (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Characters and Viewpoint (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Self-Editing for Fiction Writers: How to Edit Yourself Into Print
  • The Forest for the Trees
  • Stein On Writing: A Master Editor of Some of the Most Successful Writers of Our Century Shares His Craft Techniques and Strategies
  • Write Away: One Novelist's Approach to Fiction and the Writing Life
  • Steering the Craft: Exercises and Discussions on Story Writing for the Lone Navigator or the Mutinous Crew
  • How Not to Write a Novel: 200 Classic Mistakes and How to Avoid Them—A Misstep-by-Misstep Guide
  • The First Five Pages: A Writer's Guide To Staying Out of the Rejection Pile
  • No Plot? No Problem!: A Low-Stress, High-Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days
  • Page After Page: Discover the Confidence & Passion You Need to Start Writing & Keep Writing (No Matter What!)
  • The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers
  • Zen in the Art of Writing
  • The Complete Handbook Of Novel Writing: Everything You Need To Know About Creating & Selling Your Work (Writers Digest)
More about Stephen King...

“Books are a uniquely portable magic.” 14190 likes