Start by marking “Top Floor” as Want to Read:
Top Floor

Top Floor

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  71 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
At the age of sixteen, Sean O’Reilly started over in America after the influenza epidemic of 1919 killed his entire family back in Ireland. It has taken three years, but he’s built a new life for himself in Manhattan, rising from Bell Hop to Room Service Boy at the Astraea, a hotel for the wealthy. He loves his job, and life is good, until the fateful day his manager disco ...more
Published September 21st 2015 by MMRomanceGroup.com

To ask other readers questions about Top Floor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Top Floor

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
While I really don't like the two prompt images (the room service boy is downright creepy), the blurb for the completed story drew me in: hurt-comfort, age gap, secrets, Roaring Twenties, first time, slow burn ... what's not to love?

As it turns out, absolutely nothing!

Gah, I am gone for this book! Completely and utterly GONE.

The prose and historical details are spot on, and both Harrison Devaux and Sean O'Reilly are vivid, complex characters.

When Sean is assigned to be the room service boy fo
Ele
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing

*4.5 stars*

Honestly, if it wasn't for Dani's review, I would have kept putting off reading this story. It's long and the prompt images...um, well the boy with his dick on the tray is downright creepy.

Shame, because I would have missed out on one of the best stories of the LOR event.

I'm so happy this was a full novel. The author did an amazing job with the setting, I really enjoyed the pinterest page she created. I want to read more MM romance set in that era.

Read Dani's review for more. Great j
Chesca
A read for The Quarterly Book Club’s Fourth Quarter: Historical Fiction

K.C. Faelan’s Top Floor is a slow-burn, gay romance set in the 1920s. It is a product of the Goodreads M/M Romance Group’s 2015 event Love is an Open Road. You can read it for free in the group, or get an ebook copy from their website here.

Sean O’Reilly, a young Irish man, moved to America at the age of sixteen as an orphan. His family was killed in an influenza epidemic in the 1919. It took him three years to adjust to a n
Misty

What a fantastic interpretation of my prompt! Top Floor is an exciting, imaginative and realistic full-length historical novel, very atmospheric and accurate to the time period.

I love the story-line and the vivid characterization but above all what struck me the most is the attention to detail in terms of architecture, interior design, fashion and so many other things - absolutely fascinating! All these elements combined give depth and make the story come
Raj
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Some readers say that a testament of a really good book is one that you cannot put down,but with the reality of life that is not always a possibility so I have a new testament.

A really amazing book is one that you can return to at the point you left & still fall in awe all over again with & this is such a book.I liked the authenticity of the time that the story occurs in .I loved the relationship that unfolded slowly between the penthouse owner & the bellboy.

There is no visible insta
K.C. Faelan
I wrote this book so I won't be reviewing it. I had a lot of fun writing Top Floor, it had a mind of it's own, growing larger than I thought it would. I loved how Harrison and Sean took over and didn't let the story end until they'd told their tale.

If you are a member of the M/M Romance Group, you can read the story online here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

For those of you who prefer to read Top Floor on an ereader, you can download the story in different formats from here: http://ww
Anne-Marie
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
What a delightful story this was. One of the best of this year's event!

I especially love how intense the first encounter was between Sean and Mr Devaux, really setting the scene for their tumultuous relationship. These two worked together like nobody's business. Sean was there to heal Mr Devaux's broken heart and find true love in the process, and right some wrongs as well. Great writing.

Elizabeth
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This short is just perfect. Well paced, smart, and sexy. Nuff said. Read it, it does not disappoint.
Katy Beth Mckee
Sean and Harrison - This story really pulls you in and you can't help but care about the characters. The best thing is knowing love can overcome grief, cultural barriers, and economic lines to bring about a life of happiness.
Gabis Laberladen
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites!
Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~

I don't know how a story can be this long and still not really show any of the relationship buildup, but this one somehow manages to do it by skipping weeks of relationship development at a time. One minute, Sean is cleaning up Mr. Deuvaux's foot after he cuts it on a broken glass, the next minute Mr. Deuvaux is hiring Sean as a personal assistant, the next minute they're flirting in a tailor's shop, and so on. Is it really that hard to SHOW the MCs actually getting to know each other o
WhatAStrangeDuck
From the pics for the prompt (which I didn't like at all *shudders delicately*) I would have expected a very different story and thank you, author, for that!

On the one hand it is a historical (and it seems that the author did a good job on the research) so in many respects it seems like fairy tale from much more innocent times but then again, it is quite intensely erotic. Yep, I said it. And those of you who know me, know that I'm really not about the "hawt menz" but that scene in the Dyonisos C
Chocalicious Love
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well researched and sooooo hot! Loved.
Louan
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kevin
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
An 18 year old orphaned Irish immigrant is a bell boy in a New York residential hotel in about 1920. One of the guests is an older, wealthy, depressed man. You know the rest.

The story was enlivened with some blackmail and extortion, a few colorful characters, and a visit to a speakeasy that caters to wealthy gay men.

I did some skimming of the lengthy descriptions of clothing and furnishings, and when the story slowed a bit or got repetitive.
Sandra

Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group's Love Is An Open Road event. Thank you too all the amazing authors who participated!
Janie
Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it
A very surprisingly great story. I'm not a fan of historical stories, but this setting was done really well. This was a very loving and sexy story. I'm so glad that I ignored the historical genre and gave it a shot. It was so wonderful!
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I got really bored and started skimming half way through.
Regencyfan93
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own-it
I do like a book with end notes about history. The language felt like an earlier time. That is, the people spoke from the 1920s, not the 2010s with costumes.
Jenn (not Lily)
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful story of two heart-broken men finding comfort and love together. Fantastic historical details in clothing description and a secret gay club. Excellent writing!
GlamLawyer
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I'm again the odd one who didn't like this book. I couldn't finish it. sometimes a book just doesn't work for a person.
Eve
Apr 24, 2016
Ali
Oct 06, 2015
Boris
rated it did not like it
May 07, 2018