Start by marking “Silent in the Grave (Lady Julia Grey, #1)” as Want to Read:
Silent in the Grave (Lady Julia Grey, #1)

Silent in the Grave

(Lady Julia Grey #1)

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  21,076 ratings  ·  2,284 reviews
"LET THE WICKED BE ASHAMED, AND LET THEM BE SILENT IN THE GRAVE."
These ominous words, slashed from the pages of a book of Psalms, are the last threat that the darling of London society, Sir Edward Grey, receives from his killer. Before he can show them to Nicholas Brisbane, the private inquiry agent he has retained for his protection, Sir Edward collapses and dies at his L
Published March 1st 2007 by Mira (first published December 19th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Silent in the Grave, please sign up.
Caryn I know, right? This is really easy to miss because of the way the author chose to downplay it in the book. Which is really a shame!

Before Brisbane se…more

Before Brisbane sends her away in the carriage at the Gypsy camp, he traps her against a tree.
------------
"Brisbane, say something. If you wish to strike me, do it and get it over with. I know you are frightfully angry, and you have every right..."
I stopped then because he made me. He did not strike me; instead he did something I had never expected. He reached for me. It was sometime before he let me go.
When he did, I was breathing far too fast and I tasted blood on my lips.
------------
If you blinked, you missed it.(less)
Joan you will see some similarities between the 2 series- good ones. as in, both women leads are feisty, smart and independent. if you love veronica, you w…moreyou will see some similarities between the 2 series- good ones. as in, both women leads are feisty, smart and independent. if you love veronica, you will also love julia, i'm sure. (less)

·  21,076 ratings  ·  2,284 reviews

Start your review of Silent in the Grave (Lady Julia Grey, #1)
Hannah
Jun 24, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hannah by: Hanneybean
Obviously this book has far more admirers then detractors, (if the ratings are any indication), but I'm damned if I know why.

As far as I can analyse, you might like this book if you enjoy:

1. A surly and charmless hero masquerading as a grade C Sherlock Holmes clone.

2. Forced chemistry (or rather no chemistry) between said surly/charmless hero and an equally vapid "oh-I'm-so-stupid-but-I'm-so-adorable-because-the-writer-tells-you-so" heroine.

3. A 435 page mystery where the actual detection takes
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
$1.99 Kindle sale, July 10, 2020. Victorian-era murder mystery: Lady Julia Grey is the young widow of Sir Edward, who collapses at a dinner party and soon dies, despite the best efforts of the doctor and Nicholas Brisbane, a dark and mysterious private investigator who had been hired by Edward because of some threats he'd received.

description
Lady Julia

Brisbane informs Julia that her husband was likely murdered rather than passing away of a lifelong heart condition, but Julia angrily dismisses him. Nearly
Wendy Darling
Apparently it's now necessary to pre-emptively address holier than thou trolls who conveniently leave out important words in quoting my own text back at me as they're scolding me for my apparent lack of judgment, or those who leave criticisms in their own reviews of this one.

I don't know whether it's a lack of comprehension skills or just willful misreading of words, but let me spell this out very clearly:

Feminism = GOOD.

Hammering points exhaustively into a narrative = BAD.

Or at least not to my
Chelsea Humphrey
Mar 25, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Leigh Kramer
Shelves: library
Nope... Just, nope.
Meredith Galman
Everybody loves a good international man of mystery, but private enquiry agent Nicholas Brisbane is Just Too Much: he's a prizefighter! he's a violin virtuoso! he's a duke's grandnephew! he's a half-blood Rom AND a psychic (and a floor wax, and a dessert topping . . . .)! Lady Julia Grey -- although at times stupid and inconsistent -- is a more interesting character, because she's believably human. Born into a family of eccentrics, Julia has spent her entire life suppressing herself, until the d ...more
Angie
Finding Silent in the Grave turned out to be one of those beautiful, stumbling across the perfect book to fit your mood moments. Here I am, staring down the barrel of this pregnancy, willing the last few days to pass faster, and this absolutely delightful Victorian mystery proves just the thing to take my mind off the all-too-slowly ticking clock. Even better, it's the first in a series with the second one already out and the third due to hit shelves in March.

Silent in the Grave starts out with
Allison
The Lady Julia Grey series is one of my favorites series ever. It's one of those that jumped out with the first line and grabbed me in: "To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband’s dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should be noted, was still twitching upon the floor." From that line onward, I was completely besotted with it. I was a bit nervous for this re-read in case it didn't match up. Thankfully, I loved it almost as much the second time around. Knowing the culprit too ...more
Emma
Apr 09, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a reread. I read the first Veronica Speedwell book a while ago now and really enjoyed it. When I went to review it I realised I had already read and rated two of these books with Lady Julia Grey, but I didn't remember doing so at all! I was halfway through the reread before the story started to come back to me and that was quite telling in itself...this story is ok, but a bit slow. It picked up in the last third. I may continue this series if I get bored but for my money, the Veronica Sp ...more
Jamie Collins
The first half of this book is readable enough (a nice opening chapter, in particular) although Lady Julia is written as a modern woman stuffed into a corset and plopped down in Victorian London, where she bemoans racism and classism and is totally cool with her sister's lesbian relationship.

The writing is good for a first novel, if perhaps a bit awkward and repetitive in places. I did like the author's lighthearted style.

The longer I read, however, the more I began to dislike the story. The mys
Felicia
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is our pick for this month's Vaginal Fantasy Hangout. Read along and then watch on Feb 27th, 8pm PST! THATS MONDAY THE LAST MONDAY OF THE MONTH!
Juliana Philippa
I absolutely loved this book and thank you to my Goodreads friend Ruth for recommending it! I was a little worried when I first started it, because my expectations had grown so high after reading Ruth's reviews for this book and the following three ones. Thankfully, it completely lived up to - and actually surpassed - my expectations :-). I checked this book out from the library, but will definitely be buying my own copy.

It's told in first-person narration and I found our heroine, Julia, absolut
Alexandra
4/2/20 $1.99 for Kindle.

Highly recommend to fans of historical murder mysteries with a strong romantic aspect.
Allison (The Allure of Books)
Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn is the first book of one of the best series I have ever read. I’ve reviewed other books of the series and talked about the characters on the blog before, but I recently started at the beginning for a reread and couldn’t resist writing a review! So…now I take on the challenge of reviewing one of my favorite books of all time…

I owned Silent in the Grave for a long time before I finally got around to picking it up. I don’t remember why I finally did start read
MomToKippy
I'm really not sure what to make of this one but it held my attention which is saying a lot for me lately. It is very easy to read in the sense that the writing is excellent and flows well. I even liked the way it was laid out especially. Many short chapters with each introduced by a Shakespearean quote or something similar.

But oddly though I kept thinking as I read it that nothing really ever happens! Or very little. So action packed it is not until the very end. It felt as if the whole story
Lady Wesley
I adore this book, and just listened for the second time to Ellen Archer's excellent narration. Deanna Raybourn has become one of my favorite authors, and it all started here.

There is not a lot of romance in this book. The attraction between Julia and Brisbane is palpable, but no words are spoken. As I listened again, I was particularly struck by a passage toward the end. The murder of Julia's husband has been solved, and Julia has narrowly escaped death at the hands of the murderer. As she dep
_inbetween_
Mar 23, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone but me?
Recommended to _inbetween_ by: chatpa, alex, etc.
I got this book on the strenght of the first page, and even after a third still thought I wanted to read more and more. But despite it probably being one of the better written books I read these months, I'm currently so pissed off at it that I can't bear to read the last few chapters and want to excorcise my frustration.

Is it really just me who sees the "solution" at the very first clue placed? I know it's a matter of pride to claim to have known the killer, but that's not why I say it - I hate
Ilana
Rather enjoyed this! I often go into romance somewhat unwillingly because very few authors hit the right combination for me so that the cringe-factor will be held at a minimum. So far, those books by Georgette Heyer I've read have been enjoyable. I like spunky heroines who defy convention, and I guess that's pretty much the going thing nowadays. This first story in the series focuses almost exclusively on the mystery, which is finding out who could have been out to murder Lady Julia's husband, a ...more
Tammie
"Let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave."

These ominous words are the last threat that Sir Edward Grey receives from his killer.

Silent in the Grave was a fun historical mystery read. It was a bit slow for the first 160 pages but after that I had a hard time putting it down. I loved the witty humor which reminded me slightly of Gail Carriger's books and had me laughing out loud a couple of times.

I really wish some of the aspects of Brisbane's character that were introd
Wealhtheow
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Liz
Shelves: historical, regency
The book opens thusly: "To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband's dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should be noted, was still twitching upon the floor."

An excellent beginning! It is, unfortunately, all downhill from there. Lady Julia Grey, the narrator and heroine, is a sensible, good hearted gentlewoman far ahead of her time. She's a very readable character, although a bit too anachronistic. I would like to read a book in which she simply goes through life. Unfortunate
Tina
Mar 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery

Thus begins the compulsively readable mystery by Deanna Raybourne. Lady Julia Grey is a respectable member of the Victorian Britain upper class. Her husband dies during a dinner party. Edward had a congenital heart condition that affected all the men in his family. it was understood that he was likely to die at an early age. A mysterious stra
Ceki
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, mystery
I'm a huge fan of slow-burning HR novels spiced up with mystery and crime solving. This series is very similar to the author's new book A Curious Beginning in a sense that the main characters are eccentric, peculiar and there is little or none romance involved. The writing is also the same - witty with the elements of dark humor that simply forces you to keep on reading.

Lady Julia Grey has spent her whole life caged like a bird - she is the calmest and most reasonable of all her family mem
Lonna | FLYLēF
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-challenge
FLYLeF Book Reviews

Original Post: Silent in the Grave (Lady Julia Grey 1) at FLYLēF (www.flylef.com)

The polarized reviews for Silent in the Grave (Lady Julia Grey 1), by Deanna Raybourn, caught my interest and before long I found myself immersed, or rather drowning, in this British historical thriller.

“Let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave.”

Before Sir Edward Grey could show this threatening message to Nicholas Brisbane, the private investigator he hired for his protection, Sir Edward
Mishelle LaBrash
Feb 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm torn with my rating for this book, so much so I almost didn't bother with a review. If it wasn't for my commitment to do so, with every book I read this year, I probably wouldn't have.

Why? Because, this book confused me. And I would hate to be unjust in my review because of this.

From the first page, it gets you. I believe it may have the most original, and fantastic opening line, I have ever read. This level of intrigue continues for the first half of the book. This is where it started to d
Lady Wesley
I adore this book. Deanna Raybourn has become one of my favorite authors, and it all started here.

There is not a lot of romance in this book. The attraction between Julia and Brisbane is palpable, but no words are spoken. I was particularly struck by a passage toward the end. The murder of Julia's husband has been solved, and Julia has narrowly escaped death at the hands of the murderer. As she departs London for a sojourn with her brothers in Italy, a messenger hands her a package.
There was a
Katie Montgomery
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
EDIT: OK, so I just went through and read a few more reviews for this title, and I am hijacking my own review because I have to clarify something.

Apparently, some people feel that this plot is "too feminist".

#1 -- I have read this book cover to cover, and I have no idea what you people are talking about, other than maybe the fact that a fictional Victorian lady has some self-respect, some sense of social justice, and a goddamned pair of eyes.

#2 -- Even if this book were a scifi novel about a bun
Beanbag Love
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I don't know what to categorize this book. It's a historical in first person POV and it has romantic overtones, but it's not a romance. It's a mystery, so maybe that's what it should be called. A historical mystery.

Anyway, books 1 and 2 of this series have been sitting on my Kindle for about two years now. I don't know why I was never compelled to read them, but recently my friend, Julianna, started rating them highly so I decided to dive in. And I'm glad I did. What a treat.

Lady Julia is a gre
Vinaya
Meh. DNF-ed. It just went on and on and on without anything happening. And when we got to the part about the two-week long personality-altering migraine, I had had enough. The main characters had about as much chemistry as two wet crackers.
Mei
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Absolutely beautiful!
Great series with fantastic characters and wonderful writing style!
Angela
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Enjoyable first in series book. The ending was well done as all the pieces for the mystery snapped into place.
*The Angry Reader*
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Veronica Speedwell is like fireworks. Loud. Beautiful. Exciting. In your face. And Lady Julia Grey is like a garden. Cool. Beautiful. Peaceful. With something new popping up.

I am so thankful I read Veronica first as I wouldn’t be able to stand her after reading Lady Julia.

This is my new favorite read of 2019. I couldn’t put it down from page one. Lady Julia. Her family. The timing and pace. The Mystery. The clues. Nicholas. Fleur. The Raven.

This was everything good in a romance (the slowwwwww

• The Anatomist's Wife (Lady Darby Mystery, #1)
  • Murder on Black Swan Lane (Wrexford & Sloane, #1)
  • Mortal Arts (Lady Darby Mystery, #2)
  • A Scandalous Deception (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #2)
  • An Infamous Betrayal (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #3)
  • A Brazen Curiosity (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #1)
  • Murder at Queen's Landing (Wrexford & Sloane, #4)
  • A Nefarious Engagement (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #4)
  • A Treacherous Performance (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #5)
  • A Grave Matter (Lady Darby Mystery #3)
  • Murder at Half Moon Gate (Wrexford & Sloane, #2)
  • A Sinister Establishment (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries, #6)
  • Murder at Kensington Palace (Wrexford & Sloane, #3)
  • As Death Draws Near (Lady Darby Mystery #5)
  • A Study in Death (Lady Darby Mystery #4)
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
  • Lady Anne and the Howl in the Dark (Lady Anne Addison Mysteries, #1)
  • A Stroke of Malice (Lady Darby Mystery, #8)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling novelist Deanna Raybourn is a 6th-generation native Texan. She graduated with a double major in English and history from the University of Texas at San Antonio. Married to her college sweetheart and the mother of one, Raybourn makes her home in Virginia. Her novels have been nominated for numerous awards including two RT Reviewers’ Choice awards, the Agatha ...more

Lady Julia Grey (5 books)
  • Silent in the Sanctuary (Lady Julia Grey, #2)
  • Silent on the Moor (Lady Julia Grey, #3)
  • Dark Road to Darjeeling (Lady Julia Grey, #4)
  • The Dark Enquiry (Lady Julia Grey, #5)