Start by marking “The Young Widow (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
The Young Widow (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries #1)

The Young Widow (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries #1)

3.3  ·  Rating details ·  208 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
In this phenomenal debut in the classic tradition of Dorothy L. Sayers' Peter Wimsey novels, Scotland Yard DS Jack Gibbons is aided by his best friend Phillip Bethancourt on a murder case where the prime suspect is wealthy, dangerous, and irresistible
Published August 1st 2005 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Young Widow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Young Widow

Lia Marcoux
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
The bulk of this book features live-in servants, biscuit fortunes, and casual sexism, so when Spandex was mentioned I assumed it was anachronistic; when a television in a bedroom was, I thought "well maybe it's the fifties"; but when someone used a laptop, I was BAFFLED. This was meant to be a contemporary mystery in the style of a Golden Age classic?? But but but. Then it's DUMB. Why would you dust every page of an obscure book about poisons for fingerprints and not a run a search on the suspec ...more
Jill Hutchinson
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a fun little mystery, the first entry in a series....I like it because, although set in modern times, it seems like it is set in 1920-30s England. It reminds the reader of the Lord Peter Wimsey books....the main characters are a rich, rather indolent young man and his Scotland Yard detective friend who allows him to tag along on the latest case.
A wealthy older man is murdered (in a very strange manner) and his young second wife, hated by the rest of the family, seems a likely suspect sin
MB (What she read)
Feb 26, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mysteries
The lack of professionalism, personal integrity, and common sense shown by two of the main characters (detectives) made this book a wall-banger for me.
Zane
Aug 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
One day I will meet someone who enjoyed this book. Then there will be a murder worth investigating.
Mike Gabor
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: british-mystery
As if by magic, Annette Berowne seems capable of dazzling men from the moment she meets them. But when Annette becomes the primary suspect in her husband’s poisoning death, she arouses entirely different feelings. Now some men feel sorry for her while others are convinced she’s guilty.

Jack Gibbons is a by-the-book, rising star at Scotland Yard. His friend Phillip Bethancourt is a smart, devil-may-care type with a good heart and a razor-sharp sense of people. When they reach the Berowne manor in
Ellen
This is neither here nor there, but I could not for the life of me figure out when this book was set. From the cover and the description on the back and the fact that it's about a "rising star at Scotland Yard," I thought, ah, classic Victorian London detective! I revised this estimate when I got a couple pages in and the girlfriend of one of the main characters was sleeping over in a manner that sounded a measure more modern. So, maybe we're in the hardboiled detective era, '30s-'50s or so. I o ...more
Erin
Mar 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this mystery was well written. I liked that it was light hearted and easy to read. For some reason I am attracted to British works of fiction; I just find them really interesting and I think this fact played a large role in why I enjoyed this book so much.
Katherine Spivey
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought at first it was going to be a Golden Age mystery - the markers that indicated modern times didn't appear until halfway through. Interesting to see how the series develops.
Kelly
May 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Formulaic, mediocre, slow, easily solved way too early.
Emma
Aug 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Annette Berowne had a sweet, heart-shaped face. She had honey-blond hair and wide brown eyes. She was not beautiful, and certainly not glamorous, but only Phillip Bethancourt noticed that."

So begins Cassandra Chan's debut novel, The Young Widow, in her debut mystery series of Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons mysteries (clearly this book is a CLW review because of the author and not the main characters). But before discussing Annette Berowne, it is important to know about Gibbons and Bethanc
Yune
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I liked this better than the three-star rating may indicate; as others have mentioned, it offers a delightful (in my opinion) confusion of setting, in that if you blink at the right times, you could mistake this for a mystery set in Victorian England. It actually takes place in modern times, but unlike many contemporary tales I've encountered, doesn't focus at all on the forensic/CSI angle or on any hysterical suspense plots of nationwide terror, or even a serial killer. No, it's an old man who' ...more
Angela
Dec 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, library, ebooks
I saw Cassandra Chan's Bethancourt-Gibbons mysteries recommended on LJ and decided to check them out--and wound up being very glad I did. The style of the series is very akin to Dorothy Sayers, enough that unless you're paying attention it's easy to mistake these books for period mysteries; they aren't. That it takes a bit to realize this in Book 1, even with such obvious technological markers as cell phones and the Internet, is one of the reasons the series takes a bit to get its feet under it. ...more
Lizabeth Tucker
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Phillip Bethancourt & Jack Gibbons 1

Annette Berwone is the logical suspect for the murder of her much older, wealthy husband. After all, this is the third time she's been widowed, all three of her husbands much older than her and all wealthy. Although not a pretty woman, Mrs. Berowne seems able to charm men, including normally astute police officers such as Jack Gibbons. Friend and civilian consultant Phillip Bethancourt isn't so easily taken in by her wiles.

Although set in modern times, the
Liz
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
I wasn't overly impressed. The characters were somewhat wanly drawn, and I couldn't bring myself to invest any emotions into their fates. I'm fine with an omniscient narrator (I actually prefer it, in most cases) but there was something curiously off about the tone. I think it was a bit too American for the setting (English aristocratic country house murder). I finished the book, but won't be getting any more.
Susan
Nov 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
In this classic English country house mystery, Scotland Yard detective Jack Gibbons investigates the poisoning of rich businessman. He his helped by his aristocratic friend, Phillip Bethancourt. The prime suspect is the young widow, who has previously lost two other husbands, both wealthy and elderly. The book has little to add to this well worn genre and the involvement of Bethancourt, supposedly a homage to Dorothy Sayers, simply stretches incredulity.
Grey853
Mar 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is the first in the Bethancourt and Gibbon mystery series. I should've started with this one instead of reading the other two. The relationship between the two men is very complementary. They work well together to sort out what's what in a very complicated, detailed mystery.

Chan has an easy, but traditional style of writing. It's full of rich detail and interesting characters, which is always a great way to tell a story.
Suzanne
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
A fun introduction to a modern pair of detectives who fit in with the classic English cozy tradition. Fans of Sayers, Tey, Marsh, etc will probably like this series from Cassandra Chan. Well-placed clues made it fun to "play along"-- some may call that "being predictable" but I personally prefer that style to the hero miraculously solving the mystery with information the reader was never given.
Elena
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, british
I really like this author. This apparently is her first, but I've read a couple others already. The writing is good & crisp, the plot is engaging and clever, the characters are interesting and likable. In this one, the policeman gets involved with the prime murder suspect, which is an unusual twist, and one I did not particularly like.
Kathy
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-as-an-ebook
Like others, I definitely thought this book invoked memories of reading some of the golden age of British mystery authors: Sayers, Tey, Marsh, and others. I will be planning to read the next in the series. The mystery was interesting with a cast full of possible guilty individuals; at some point I was considering almost everyone as the culprit!
Anne
Dec 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Very interesting characters in this mystery. Having an American author write a British mystery about a Scotland Yard Detective Sergeant with a gentleman amateur sleuth as a sidekick was an interesting concept.

There were also enough plot twists to keep me interested throughout the novel.
Alexis
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The two protagonists are not particularly admirable. The mystery is resolved not through detection but rather through witnesses updating their previous statements. A light read, but not one that particularly makes me want to read book #2 with any speed.
Barb in Maryland
Oct 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I got about half way through this and realized that I didn't like any of the characters, the author's writing, the plot and so on. So I closed the book, returned it to the library and scratched the author off my list.
Sharon
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you like Dorthy Sayers books about Lord Peter Wimsey I think you'll like this book: I did. I just checked the next 2 out of the library.
Beth Kelly
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Slowwwww
Manju
Jul 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Loved the way the characters have been drawn - no cliches. And the subtle humor. Loved the understated interlude between Uncle Phillip and young nephew. Glad that I stumbled on this book.
Jenn Estepp
pretty mediocre mystery. passed the time but nothing too special about it and super, incredibly predictable.
Patricia
Jan 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Let's say 3 1/2; I didn't get the who done it until close to the end, but it was a bit ponderous....
Louise Parr
Oct 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good, Unfortunately the library doesn't own any more of them. I'm not sure I like them enough to ask the library to ILL them. Phoo
Jean
Aug 06, 2015 added it
good mystery
Johanna
Jan 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A cute, rather mindless cozy read. I was looking for something very light and this fit the bill.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Bad Faith (Sister Agatha, #1)
  • The Cold Light of Mourning (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #1)
  • Bones of Contention (A Dinah Pelerin Mystery, #1)
  • The Salton Killings (Chief Inspector Woodend, #1)
  • Murder at Longbourn (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery, #1)
  • A Fete Worse Than Death (Jack Haldean Murder Mystery #1)
  • The Hangman's Row Enquiry (Ivy Beasley, #1)
  • Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, One Very Dead Corpse
  • A Bespoke Murder (Home Front Detective #1)
  • Murder in the Map Room (Eleanor Roosevelt, #17)
  • The New Rector (Tales from Turnham Malpas #1)
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • Styx and Stones (Daisy Dalrymple, #7)
  • Mrs. Malory Investigates (Mrs. Malory Mysteries, #1)
  • Dogs Don't Lie (Pru Marlowe, #1)
  • The Corpse At The Haworth Tandoori (Charlie Peace, #6)
  • The Affair of the Blood-Stained Egg Cosy (Burford Family, #1)
  • Death of a Schoolgirl (The Jane Eyre Chronicles, #1)
Cassandra Chan has published four novels, most recently A Spider on the Stairs, and several short stories featuring Gibbons and Bethancourt. She lives in Port St. Lucie, Florida.
More about Cassandra Chan...

Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries (4 books)
  • Village Affairs (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries #2)
  • Trick of the Mind (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries #3)
  • A Spider on the Stairs (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries, #4)