Start by marking “Side-Kicked” as Want to Read:
Side-Kicked

Side-Kicked

3.24  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
It should come as no surprise to learn that within the superhero "community," egos run rampant. But how does all that free-flowing narcissism impact those just outside the spotlight? Chicago finds out when five of the city's most loyal Sidekicks finally grow tired of being disrespected by both the prima donnas they work with and the citizenry they strive to protect. And it ...more
Published October 27th 2015 by Magnetic Press

To ask other readers questions about Side-Kicked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Side-Kicked

Vitor
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-arc, netgalley
I haven't read a comic-book about superheroes/sidekicks in a very long time and this one was not so bad.
It's all about the sidekicks and not so much about superheroes and the role that each play in protecting their own city.
This story follows a group of sidekicks that are feeling pretty disrespected and downgraded by their fellow heroes and it reaches a point in which they are tired of being treated like pawns and being cast into the shadows of the ones most recognisable by society in general.
I
Zori Amber
Oct 12, 2015 rated it liked it
In Sidekicked, we get a more realistic, serious, and kind of dark picture of what would happen if the sidekicks of a city's greatest Superheroes went on strike. It's honestly not the most radical idea but the creators of the story did a pretty decent job of making it believable. You have the sidekick who feels like he can't trust his hero to have his back; the sidekick who feels like he's at his lowest, in and out of costume; the sidekick who doesn't really have issues with his hero but has issu ...more
Jim
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
What does it mean to be a hero?

The sidekicks are fed up. They save lives and the heroes take the credit. Their heroes don't appreciate them. Their activities go unnoticed. The media ignores them. So they go on strike.

This story works surprisingly well. I was unsure about the premise - the story could have been handled poorly - but it was really well-executed.

And while you have some familiar powers, there are some new, creative ones, too.

Like all good stories, the characters learn things, but
Stephanie
*3.5 stars*
*I received a copy of this book from netgalley*
I was excited about the idea of the focus being on the sidekicks but I was unaware going into it that there would be so many of them, there was a helpful guide at the end to most of the characters but there was so many and with them being superheroes they all had secret identities and it was a little hard to keep track.
Overall I did enjoy this, the art was awesome and the story was good I just wish it was easier to keep track of everyone
Adrianne
Nov 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Overall, this was entertaining. The premise is good- the sidekicks go on strike and the heroes are lost without them. The city falls to the villains and it's up to the sidekicks to save everyone showing that they are, indeed, the true heroes. Not only for saving everyone, but the reason why- they truly love their city and are not doing it for the fame. This was good, but that being said, maybe this would have been better as a series. I really wanted to get to know the sidekicks better- get deepe ...more
Patrice Sartor
I requested to 'read this now' on Netgalley, though I then waited too long to download it, and instead received the title through an inter-library loan after it was published.

It tells the story of the forgotten superheroes, the neglected and disrespected sidekicks. After being taken for granted one too many times, a group of sidekicks form together and initiate a strike. They want to make sure the city's residents grant them some respect, and, perhaps even more importantly, they are looking for
Ian Wood
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Krystin
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It should come as no surprise to learn that superheroes let their egos run rampant. But they have their sidekicks to manage the less pleasant fallout of all that narcissism. Chicago finds out what happens to the bystanders when five of the city’s most loyal Sidekicks finally grow tired of being disrespected by needy divas they work with and the citizenry they strive to protect when they go on strike leaving the superheros to fend for themselves against bad guys and bad days.

What makes a superher
Siina
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it
An interesting take on the subject of superheroes and sidekicks. Brettholtz surely got a great idea that we haven't really thought about - what about the sidekicks? Basically we have superheroes, who have sidekicks, but don't seem to appreciate that. The sidekicks decide to go on a strike and the superheroes seem to fall one after the other until the sidekicks need to come forth and save the day. I really liked the idea of a strike, although everything seemed to go according to the plan all to p ...more
Terri
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
The superhero sidekick is an important part of the classic good vs. evil battle. But, as we all know, sidekicks are people too. So if they feel unappreciated in their jobs, what can they do? They can go on strike.

That is the premise of Side-Kicked by Russell Brettholtz. Chicago's superhero teams are all working to save lives and stop crime and corruption throughout the city. But when the superheroes become celebrities, their sidekicks are just kicked to the side, so to speak. They are seen as u
Stabbing
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I obtained a copy of Side-Kicked by Russell Brettholtz via NetGalley’s Read It Now section in exchange for feedback and a review. First off this is a imprint and publishing house I wasn’t previously aware of but it has a web page listed in the back of the book that you can check out at: http://www.darbypop.com/

This story deals with a group of sidekicks who are a bit disgruntled at the way they are being treated by their crime fighting partners and the general public. So they decide to go on str
Magda
The graphic is fine, all the hero and villain costumes are quite cool, the powers they have might be interesting, but there's not much use of them. There're very few panels that show you some action, most of them is talking or thinking about heroes ignorance toward their sidekicks. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind some dialogs instead of action, it just wasn't that interesting.

The sidekicks strike was a bad move in my opinion. If they wanted to be heard than OK - ignore your superheroes, but go
Wayne McCoy
Nov 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Side-Kicked' takes the premise of being a superhero sidekick and makes a story out of it. I once saw an episode of 'The Tick' that did the same thing. I think I liked that better.

The superheroes get all the glory and the sidekicks get no respect. That's the premise of this book. It shows the sidekicks doing work as good or better than the heroes, but getting overlooked or yelled at by the public. They decide to go on strike to get the recognition they think they deserve. While they are striking
Erika Winterlia
Oct 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Side-Kicked was a short and interesting comic that dealt with a unique concept. The sidekicks of the super heroes finally got tired of how they were being treated and left in the shadows without any appreciation for their hard work. This sounded like it could have been a great story and overall I did feel that this comic dealt with it in a nice way. I do, however, feel like it was too easy and not enough surprise to this. There weren’t any twists or unexpected events, it all felt kind of boring ...more
Lady Entropy
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
(NEtgalley review)

This book is centred around a simple concept "how would superheroes fare without sidekicks cleaning up their messes".

The flaw with this notion, of course, is assuming that every superhero is pretty much useless, are just good to make an impression with the cameras, and the real heroes are the sidekicks.

If you can't buy into this premise (I admit, it was a bit hard for me but I struggled valiantly until I could accept it) then you won't enjoy this book.

On the other hand, if you
Neil Pearson
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a fun take on the superhero genre and included a done-in-one story with a surprising about of world building. The heroes are egotists while the sidekicks are arguably the real heroes but when they decide to go on strike the villains quickly seize on the opportunity and cause chaos.
The book is fun while maintaining modern and slightly cynical sensibilities - something a lot of the big publishers seem to be incapable of these days.
Rizal
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Erica Barnes
This comic wasn't bad but it wasn't really great. I liked the premise of the often overlooked and under-appreciated sidekicks getting fed up and taking their skills else where. I did enjoy the hubris of the superhero/villain and the idea that they needed their sidekicks to maintain the status quo in Chicago. I couldn't really tell what was going on at the end. Are they making a super team of sidekicks? Are they just making themselves the superheroes?

My big issue was the play on other superheros
Luke
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for TwoNerdsTalking.com who recieved a free copy in exchange for a fair and honest review

Side-kicked is a refreshing and insightful look into the life and trials of a superhero sidekick. It follows the exploits of a group of secondary heroes, who after being taken for granted countless times, decide to go on strike.

It's amazing to see the repercussions of this, from the rise in crime, to certain superheroes becoming less popular due to thier side-kicks not being around to protect the c
Amy
I thought I would really like this comic, it is one that I thought would interest me, being the premise was about trying to find sidekicks, and this is something I should enjoy being that I like books or graphic novels that do not focus on the chosen one however this one was not for me. I did not feel engaged with the story that after 10 pages, I did just want it to be finished. This being the case I did end up stopping at after this. The artwork also was not to my taste as well and I thought th ...more
Theediscerning
Nov 22, 2015 rated it liked it
I couldn't always tell who was who – with five superheroes and their side-kicks, and them in and out of persona and masks, it's not at all easy – but I was generally on board for this comic. It's a lot better than recent, similar efforts to unionise superhero dramas (no names, (C.O.W.L.), no pack drill), and the simple storyline of the strike the side-kicks demand to prove their worth is done well. Yes, a lot of the characters are cheaply derivative, and the artwork really doesn't help work out ...more
Dawn
Oct 14, 2015 rated it liked it
This graphic novel was reasonably good and a quick read. It's a tale of sidekicks fighting for the respect they never get. The plot is pretty predictable but the story is well-written and engaging. I wouldn't recommend it to hardcore fans of superheroes because the characterizations and situations are obvious. But someone who's a little more on the fringe of comics, an occasional reader would probably like this.
(Note: I received a free review copy via Net Galley.)
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Side-Kicked is perhaps the third graphic novel I've ever willingly picked up. I was surprised at a couple things in it (primarily that one of the characters considered suicide a couple times), and was surprised at the depth of what I found in what I had expected to be 'light, easy reading". I liked the unique premise of side-kicks rebelling, and found myself actually enjoying what I read. I would recommend it for adults.
Patrick
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a good read, and fun as well. What if sidekicks went on strike? what If the heroes they worked with treated them badly enough that they said no more? Well this is the story in this book. A short read but interesting. Artwork is good solid work, the characters are interesting and this is nearly an all age book with exception of a couple pages. Well done.

I received an advanced copy of this from NetGalley.com and the publisher.
Paul Allard
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Superhero sidekicks go on strike
Sick and tired of being considered second-rate, superhero sidekicks go on strike. This leads to super-villains taking charge and making advances. All is resolved in this collection leading perhaps to another in the future when the villains’ sidekicks decide to band together?
An interesting concept, well-written and illustrated. Recommended to all.
Justine
Oct 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book free from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
I didn't really care for this story. It felt very disjointed to me. There were too many characters doing too many different things. I did really enjoy the artwork, it was almost 3-D like. I just couldn't emotionally connect to any of this characters.
Kate
Nov 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: high school and up

Fun, fast read. Nothing extraordinary but a different look at the superhero game. It was hard to differentiate between characters sometimes when they weren't in their superhero and sidekick outfits. They look too alike.

Teens would probably enjoy this. There is a possible suicide at the beginning and the side-kicks meeting place is a bar.

Ana
That was a hell of a fun read! I laughed at this and was completely excited over it. I thought the characters were cool and that the story was very intense. Oooooonly thing is, it felt shallow, not on the materialistic side, but on the not really deep story. It all happened really fast. The scenes wouldn't last more than five pages. Most of them, at least. But it was fun.
tyto
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is about a group of superhero sidekicks that are tired of being second fiddle and decide to go on strike. That's basically the gist of it. The plot is too simplistic and I didn't find myself caring about any of the characters.
Christen
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Arc from Netgalley for a honest review.

Decent, but like another reviewer said, the artwork kept making the 20/30 something Sidekicks looking older as the story went on. Not sure why. Decent story about sidekicks not feeling appreciated and striking.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #140 Side-Kicked by Russell Brettholtz 1 1 Oct 31, 2015 06:28PM