Start by marking “Creating Great Teams: How Self-Selection Lets People Excel” as Want to Read:
Creating Great Teams: How Self-Selection Lets People Excel

Creating Great Teams: How Self-Selection Lets People Excel

People are happiest and most productive if they can choose what they work on and who they work with. Self-selecting teams give people that choice. Build well-designed and efficient teams to get the most out of your organization, with step-by-step instructions on how to set up teams quickly and efficiently. You'll create a process that works for you, whether you need to for ...more
Published November 21st 2015 by Pragmatic Bookshelf

To ask other readers questions about Creating Great Teams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creating Great Teams

Mohan Narayanaswamy
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Quick video or blog would have covered what is covered in the book. Should be useful for someone who plans to create environment for "Self selecting team". This lacks depth and doesn't cover many questions such as if core engineering team has full of junior engineers, how they could sustain succeed using "Self selection". What is the role of architect and how they would fit? what happens to corporate processes.
Marijn
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Nice book with hands-on tips around setting the stage for allowing teams to form themselves through self-selection. It's not going to convert the non-believers in believers for sure, and there's still the task of setting the boundaries and focus of the teams, which is often harder than forming the teams themself.
Johnny Graber
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Quick read with some bold claims that are backed by studies. Next to nothing about troubles or challenges you may run into. It is a “look at us how we did it” book with limited use for other companies.
Allison
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great short reference book to keep and use when preparing for a self-selection workshop
Jamie Strachan
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5
Anders
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short and concise guide to self selection for forming great teams with lots of valuable tips on how to apply this in practice.
Andy Cleff
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Sandy and David!,,,,

This is a wonderfully practice book - filed w great advice and a framework to get started. If you doubt that self selection could work in your organization, you owe it to yourself to give this a read.
Sebastian Gebski
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Please keep in mind it's the review of the BOOK, not the METHOD (self-selection of teams).

Once we've cleared that out - this book could have been much better. Let's start with cons:
* author is so enthusiastic with the method, that she didn't address ANY of concerns related with introducing it; she didn't write anything about handling troublesome situations that can happen - books feels like a hippie description of "happy path" only ;/
* book feels very positive (because authors honestly believe i
Sergey Shishkin
Nov 21, 2015 rated it liked it
This book probably should have been a website or wiki. I wish I borrowed it from a library rather than bought.

It's interesting and useful though. My main critique points are:
- Only the big bang self-selection approach is covered;
- Theory of team design is very shallow and only presents studies supporting the book idea;
- Authors insist on stable, long-term teams and by doing that ignore potential issues of why some individuals don't like to work with other individuals and what can be done abou
Christophe Addinquy
Feb 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: agile coaches
This is a very short book, focused on one and only one practice : how to form self-determined team, through a step by step process. I like very much the way the authors goes deep inside each step, making very real the way it happens. On the other side, we miss patterns or anti-patterns on the way it happens, everythings looks very much like sunny day. We all know it's not always the case
Ma note de lecture en Français ici
David Mole
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Creating Great Teams is a great combination of a tool-kit and the story of how they went about it. I found it to be a fascinating read, it challenged the way I thought about how teams are selected and I am excited to try out the techniques they talk about. It is less than 100 pages and I read in a single journey when I was travelling. Overall it is a great book, a great read and an inspiring story.
Chris Downey
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it

A good, concise book full of tips and practical advice for running a self selection event - well worth a read.
Jeanine Brosch