Start by marking “Thanksgiving” as Want to Read:
Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  26 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
New Orleans, Summer 1965: Nancy Drew, the Beatles, Hurricane Betsy. For four young people, it is a time for sailing lessons, clandestine cigarettes, facts of life, guilty secrets.

Playing girl detectives, Peg and Emmaline hitchhike to the Winn-Dixie, where Emmaline hopes to find her runaway sister. Harry, Emmaline's brother, lurks on the edges of their toxic, disjointed fam
Published November 26th 2015 by Koehler Books

To ask other readers questions about Thanksgiving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thanksgiving

E.J. Findorff
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was born and raised in New Orleans. And although I don't live there anymore, I can say that New Orleanians are very critical of how our city is portrayed, often coming off as a caricature of itself. Mary Arno struck a perfect balance of our engrained culture, phrases, and nuances with the real life that happens outside of the French Quarter, Jazz Fest, and Mardi Gras. I'm giving Ms. Arno five stars because she did a masterful job of keeping me engaged. I didn't roll my eyes. I didn't skim para ...more
Melissa
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Thanks to Netgalley for an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.

This was a short novel set in New Orleans from the mid-60s to the present day. Three women experience tragedy and hope together with a southern flavor and wonderful details of one of my favorite cities.

The writing deserves 5 stars. What's there is thorough and compelling. The problem I had was that there just wasn't enough there. Chapters jumped characters and time periods with abandon leaving me with a bunch of sna
Shari Stauch
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book by Mary Arno. Huge fan of all things New Orleans but this went above and beyond, with the quirky characters you'd expect and the grit and humanity you don't often get. The author is so deft with her writer's paintbrush; she can paint a character with a single line, a scene with few words but loaded with meaning. The characters are intricate, as is the story. And the ending, well, I won't spoil it for you... Suffice to say nothing's predictable and the story will stay with you!
Dean Robertson
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mary Arno's Thanksgiving is set against the backdrop of the city of New Orleans and it is, at one level, a love letter to the city of her birth. It is also a great deal more.

"God, for the gladness here where the sun is shining at evening on/the weeds at the river,/Our prayers of thanks. /For the break of the game and the first play/and the last,/Our prayer of thanks."
_Carl Sandburg

And so we suspect, as we read this epigraph, the kind of writer we are about to encounter.

Mary Arno chose, from all
Deb
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanksgiving is a short but compelling read about the lives of three women growing up in the New Orleans area. In a fairly short book Arno says a lot about women, friendships, and relationships. A lot of the male characters come off pretty badly, but not all of them, which I appreciated. And the women aren’t perfect either. There is a story line about a sexual harassment lawsuit that I found really interesting and would have liked more of.

This book has a very "local" feel to it, which is not sur
Janni_B
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
I received an advance copy of this book via NetGalley.

I very much enjoyed this beautifully written book although there are some heartbreaking and even shocking moments.

The book is set in Louisiana and begins in 1965 when the three principal characters are still girls, all from different backgrounds. We then get glimpses of them at various stages in their lives until an unexpected and shocking event decades later.

Mary R Arno cleverly shows how their lives and the lives of those around them all c
Susan
Nov 21, 2015 rated it liked it
I wish I could somehow give this book a split rating. The writing was excellent and the storyline engaging, but the progress of the book felt disjointed. I wasn't sure if 2 days, 2 weeks, or 2 years had passed between events and I never felt the final coalescence of all the storylines at the end. Admittedly I don't like books that finish themselves in a nice neat package, but this felt like it ended mid-thought. It is sad that these issues overshadowed the characters and their story for me becau ...more
The Advocate
I always look forward to reading books by local authors because they often leave me with a sense of familiar nostalgia, and “Thanksgiving” did not disappoint.

The story begins during the characters’ formative years in 1965 New Orleans. We get a small glimpse into each of their lives, not knowing that the stories will later circle back to important events that happened during this time.

Read more: http://theadvocate.com/entertainment/...
Seton Rae
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mary R. Arno's "Thanksgiving" is a beautifully fractured narrative offering glimpses into the lives of three women over the course of their childhoods and adult lives. The writing style takes a bit of getting used to; I initially found it disjointed and hard to follow. Ultimately, however, I came to be very attached to the characters and their intertwined stories. Arno writes with a poetic, visual touch, bringing characters, story and setting to life through revealing and well-chosen detail.
Linda
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a recent Goodread First Reads Giveaway.

This was an enjoyable short read, which was well written. I can recommend this book if you enjoy short novels and I hope to read more books by this author.
Melissa ownsbey
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
very good
very beautfuil
heartbreaking
hi writer is good at weaving
words into a well told story
I cried a few tears
Rich Schiesser
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Among other cultural treats, New Orleans is known for it’s soul-searching blues and palate-pleasing cuisine. Mary Arno expertly offers up her own literary version of heart-wrenching blues and delicious descriptions in her novel Thanksgiving.
The story is sad yet satisfying, involving four adolescent acquaintances who harbor deep emotional secrets well into adulthood.

Arno is a skilled writer whose economy of words makes the book enjoyable to read and easy to digest. Just as impressive, the author
kathyrn
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ellen  | spoilerkween
See my review for The Advocate: http://theadvocate.com/entertainment/...
Mary
rated it did not like it
Dec 27, 2015
Linda Marie Marsh
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
THANKSGIVING ,by Arno, takes place during a time i can thoroughly relate to and about which i enjoy reading. The 60's of course.....to the present. Summertine - the "facts of life" theories, Trixie Belden instead of Nancy Drew for me, and using our wits and imagination.
A slender book that i did not want to put down...actually i did not instead I stayed up late to finish. Well written. My only wish is that the book was better fleshed out, THAT would have made it excellent!
J.C. Sasser
Nov 19, 2016
Melanie
Sep 22, 2015
Mary Arno
Nov 09, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: thanksgiving
Donna Wetzel
'Thanksgiving Is Not for the Faint of Heart' 1 3 Dec 14, 2015 05:24AM
  • A Long Thaw
  • On Bittersweet Place
  • In the Middle (Miller Hoffman, #1)
  • Salty Miss Tenderloin
  • Silence in the Wild: A Summer in Maine
  • Veda
  • Mama's Shoes
  • Go Home Lake
  • Training Wheels
  • Tears of a Heart (Kan Savasci Cycle, #1)
  • Nanny on the Run
  • Unforgotten
  • Piggy
  • The Bad Present
  • Sister Girl
  • A Brown Paper Bag and a Fine Tooth Comb
  • Third Willow
  • The Secret Miss Rabbit Kept
MARY R. ARNO is an award-winning author and journalist who has worked at newspapers across the southern United States, from Los Angeles to New Orleans to Orlando, with a couple of others in between. As a reporter and editor, she covered everything from murders and refinery explosions on the police beat to small-town politics to national political conventions and campaigns. At the Los Angeles Times ...more

Fiction Deals

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • The Man He Never Was: A Modern Reimagining of Jekyll and Hyde
  • The Bookshop
  • I Hate Everyone But You
  • With Shuddering Fall
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • 223 Orchard Street
  • No One Is Coming to Save Us
  • Brief Encounters with Che Guevara: Stories
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Small Great Things
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Archer's Tale (The Grail Quest, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Glittering Images (Starbridge, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99