Start by marking “Wolverine: Weapon X (Marvel Premiere Classic)” as Want to Read:
Wolverine: Weapon X (Marvel Premiere Classic)

Wolverine: Weapon X (Marvel Comics Presents #72-84)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  4,393 Ratings  ·  157 Reviews
Wolverine's a lot of things to a lot of people, but to one infamous enclave he was nothing but a... weapon. And weapons kill people. They found that out well enough. Find out just how much "X" can cover in this prequel to recent revelations of the murderous mysteries that have mesmerized our favorite mutant! Collects Marvel Comics Presents #72-84
Published March 21st 2007 by Marvel (first published 1993)

Wolverine by Mark MillarWolverine by Barry Windsor-SmithWolverine by Chris ClaremontWolverine by Jeff LemireWolverine by Jeff Lemire
Best of Wolverine
142 books — 24 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane SatrapiPreludes & Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman
Best Graphic Novels
2,628 books — 5,781 voters

More lists with this book...

Ronyell
5.5 stars!

Brief history:

Ever since I heard so much about Wolverine’s past in the Weapon X program and how much that played a huge role in the character he has become, I wanted to try and read more on his back story of being apart of Weapon X. To be honest, “Wolverine: Weapon X” was the first story I have read that details the horrors that Wolverine has to go through when he was apart of the Weapon X program and I must say that I really enjoyed this book much more than I expected!

What is the
Donovan

"A creature of such power--shaken by his own shadow! Driven by fear--of himself!"

YES. Part Wolverine's diary, part medical procedural, part horror and psychological thriller. If you've ever wondered what happened to Wolverine at Weapon X, this is the book.

There are obvious ties to Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and themes of human versus monster and dehumanization. This is as much a soulful biography as prototypical Wolverine slasher.

In addition to his fantastic and fast paced writing, Barry Wind
Stephen
Mar 18, 2009 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This is an excellent Wolverine story that was originally published in Marvel Comics Presents #72 through #84. Introduced Cyber, one of my favorite Wolverine villains.
Lindsay
Nov 28, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wolverine fans, completists
The original telling of how Wolverine got his adamantium skeleton, first serialized in Marvel Comics Presents #72-84. Very confusing, nonlinear storyline, chaotic art/panel arrangments, dialogue mostly medical technobabble (from the doctors/nurses operating on Wolverine) or inarticulate grunts, yells and roars (from Wolverine). For most of the story, Wolverine is either anesthetized or freaking out and going into berserk rages, so there's not a lot of focus on his character. Instead, the narrati ...more
Sam Quixote
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book explains how Wolverine came to have adamantium claws/skeleton. That’s it. He’s abducted, taken to a lab (where the entire book takes place), he’s mostly unconscious speaking very little, the adamantium bonds with his bones and his healing factor prevents him from dying, the scientist tries to control him, fails, Wolverine’s memory is wiped in the process, Wolverine kills everyone and escapes into the wilderness.

If you’ve read a load of Wolverine books or even seen the first 2 X-Men mo
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Oct 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Wolverine fans from the movie and tv shows
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) by: Mike
My friend is the biggest Wolverine fan in the Milky Way solar system. He loaned me his Weapon X comics to read and to share the 'Wolverine' love. It was very good. I admit that Wolverine isn't my favorite X-Men (that's Gambit), but he's a very intriguing character with a dark side that I find appealing mixed with this desire for justice. What can I say? I love my antiheroes. The man has had his share of tragedy, and seeing how he gained the adamantium helped me to see him in a deeper light.

Thank
Stephen
Dec 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Barry Windsor-Smith remains one of my all-time favorite comic artists. Completely unique. Smith's writing on the other hand is often poor and this collection is no exception. A weak build-up; jumpy narrative. The "scientists" and security are all doofuses. Enjoy the art, skip the story.
Amy Rae
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of those books that I think is a classic for a reason. It's unsettling as hell and pretty creative in the way it tells the story of where all that adamantium came from. After a brief look at Logan before he's captured for the Weapon X program, Windsor-Smith builds the narrative around the scientists and security keeping Logan under lock and key. For them, Logan's an animal to be controlled and tested, not a person; their dry observations contrast sharply with the pain he's clearly suffering ...more
Arpad Okay
Mar 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pulp fans, pkd fans
Recommended to Arpad by: peter lep
Shelves: comics
they don't write 'em like they used to. bloody dehumanizing horror more fit for a jim thompson cyberpunk novel than the pages of marvel comics presents. a childhood favorite of mine, it stands the test of time. i guess my dad knew BWS from his conan days, which is why he would buy possibly the bloodiest comic i've ever seen (worse than JTHM? possibly!) for his eager grade school-aged son. it's not all exposed ribs and bloody snrkt's, it's got a surreal cronenberg like i said cyberpunkness to it. ...more
Logan
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very good book! So this is the story of how wolverine gets his animatum claws (not X-Men origins wolverine, don't even mention it!) I was surprised this book doesn't have any dialogue from Wolverine himself, its basically the scientists and them installing and testing Wolverines claws till the bloody confrontation at the end! In the end not bad!
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 1
  • The Punisher: Welcome Back, Frank
  • Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 1
  • Captain Britain
  • Secret War
“You must understand that this "infernal thing" is what Logan has always been... A determinedly violent individual... plummeling his way through a purposeless life.... one day distinguished from the next only by the changing patterns of bruises and blood from last night's drunken fights. But then, inexplicably, the wounds are healed and gone before noon and his first beer. I doubt if he even suffered hangovers.
All his years Logan has endured this--suffering a destiny that tore at him from his guts outward... battling a fate decreed him by nature!”
0 likes
“It's extraordinary, is it not, Cornelius? A creature of such power--shaken by his own shadow! Driven by fear--of himself!” 0 likes